WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:48 pm 
Minuteman

How was the portrayal of historical figures by the actors? Such as Nixon and Kennedy. Realistic?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:34 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Why is there a stupid embargo if the MTV Spoilers group can post whatever they want? Maybe you should just PM all of us your review, written entirely in binary, and nobody will ever know. :?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:40 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

DoomsdayClock wrote:
Sockin wrote:
Does Adrian at least scream or say "I DID IT!" after seeing the TVs/News reports?

No. But they are heavily playing the angle that Adrian is very upset about the innocent lives lost - a necessary evil of his plan. It would have been weird for him to do an endzone dance in that scene and have it make sense.

Wow, now THAT is a different take on Veidt all together! Reading the novel, I never seriously believed for a second that he cared one iota about the people he's killed — and the only times he shows anything resembling remorse it's for Bubastis (and to a lesser extent, his manservants).

Throughout the whole book, the only time we see him get excited is the "I DID IT" scene — a scene where he's completely overjoyed that his plan succeeded, not upset over the millions (perhaps billions in the film?) of people he just vaporized.

I'm sure in the context of the movie it'll play differently, but this newer, more "sympathetic" take on Veidt just seems weird.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:01 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

hey DDC how was the rape scene is it as brutal as jdm and Carla gugino say it is

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:09 pm 
Vigilante

Captain Carnage wrote:
DoomsdayClock wrote:
Sockin wrote:
Does Adrian at least scream or say "I DID IT!" after seeing the TVs/News reports?

No. But they are heavily playing the angle that Adrian is very upset about the innocent lives lost - a necessary evil of his plan. It would have been weird for him to do an endzone dance in that scene and have it make sense.

Wow, now THAT is a different take on Veidt all together! Reading the novel, I never seriously believed for a second that he cared one iota about the people he's killed — and the only times he shows anything resembling remorse it's for Bubastis (and to a lesser extent, his manservants).

Throughout the whole book, the only time we see him get excited is the "I DID IT" scene — a scene where he's completely overjoyed that his plan succeeded, not upset over the millions (perhaps billions in the film?) of people he just vaporized.

I'm sure in the context of the movie it'll play differently, but this newer, more "sympathetic" take on Veidt just seems weird.

Ya I dunno, I got the sense he never cared about those people either. I don't know a whole lot about utilitarianism but I always get the sense that the thought process in it is focusing on the good rather than the people that are being harmed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:29 pm 
The Watcher

Project862006 wrote:
hey DDC how was the rape scene is it as brutal as jdm and Carla gugino say it is

Yes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:38 pm 
I DID IT!

Hey DDC, I shot you an email earlier.

My personal interwebz:
Facebook (regular Carl™)
Twitter (caffeinated Carl™)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:55 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

oh 1 more ... for now lol

was Adrian back story told well with giving up his money and all and was Alexander the great and Ramses II talked about

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:18 pm 
Minuteman

Captain Carnage wrote:
DoomsdayClock wrote:
Sockin wrote:

The way he talked to Dr. Manhattan towards the end, about the fact that the people he killed haunted and his "Black Freighter" dream, really seem to imply that he does care about the people he killed. He doesn't regret doing it, but it definitely seemed to have an effect on him.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:34 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Too-Ticky wrote:
Captain Carnage wrote:
DoomsdayClock wrote:
Sockin wrote:

The way he talked to Dr. Manhattan towards the end, about the fact that the people he killed haunted and his "Black Freighter" dream, really seem to imply that he does care about the people he killed. He doesn't regret doing it, but it definitely seemed to have an effect on him.

Eh. That's debatable. It read to me like Veidt was trying to justify his horrific action to Jon, the only being on the planet who he deemed his equal or superior. The Black Freighter dream has less to do with his guilt then it does underscoring the parallels in the story: both the marooned guy and Veidt completed a mission on the backs of dead people, and that in doing so, both are damned for their crimes.

It has nothing to do with guilt, or repentance. Like his other speeches, it's mostly for show. I think the only thing Veidt is interested in during that scene is Jon's approval and he doesn't get it, which is one of the only things that leaves him wondering.

Off topic, I know. But it underscores the difference between film-Veidt and comic-Veidt. I don't know if I can buy it if they make him sympathetic and don't keep the cold, calculating aspects of his character.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:39 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

you might end up regretting getting to see the film so early if you carry on getting asked so many questions, but I'll chip in all the same :P

Chapter 2 is definitely one of my favourites, with the Comedians funeral, does the camera focus on each member at the funeral and then show us their flash back, just as it works in the GN? I always loved Veidt's face after Captain M despairs 'somebody has to save the world' which cuts back to an older, wearier Veidt.

Also can you confirm for us that the scenes that have been released on the net in the past day have been edited & shortened for online purposes and play out longer in the film?

Last edited by Greyfox on Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:27 pm 
Nothing ever ends.

Location: She is all States, and all Princes, I, nothing else is.
DDC:

When Dan and Rorschach approach Karnak, do events play out like they do in the GN? Namely, Rorschach and Dan approach, cutting to Ozy watching them, doing his deed while musing to himself, and then cutting back to Rorschach and Dan coming into Karnak?

A simple yes or no will do. ;) I just suddenly thought of a way that that scene might have played out differently.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:43 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Project862006 wrote:
oh 1 more ... for now lol

was Adrian back story told well with giving up his money and all and was Alexander the great and Ramses II talked about

yeah i kinda want to know that too

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:58 pm 
Crimebuster

DoomsdayClock wrote:
The Guard wrote:
Who says "Nothing ever ends". Jon or Laurie?

Laurie does, but she's quoting the Doc.

Wh.... What?!?! :shock: so no "wait Jon, what do you..."?
NOOOO!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:08 pm 
Crimebuster

OH... and did you think it was a Masterpiece?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:29 pm 
...I am Pagliacci.

Sorry, DDC, but I have another question.

At the end of the film, are the scenes in the nursing home and with seymore (SP?) in? Or does it end at karnak?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:37 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Did I make the cut?? Im sure you dont know, but damn Im anxious.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:39 pm 
Watchmaker

KenWMFan wrote:
Sorry, DDC, but I have another question.

At the end of the film, are the scenes in the nursing home and with seymore (SP?) in? Or does it end at karnak?

Seymour's journal scene is definately in. 100%.

And we have seen Laurie reconsiling with her mom, so that scene is in too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:09 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

DDC, or anyone who has seen the full film, have you felt truly let down by any aspect of the movie?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:13 pm 
The Watcher

I'm done with the Q&A for now. It's obvious that the questions will just keep coming until I've described every line and scene in the movie in vivid detail. I'm not willing or able to go that far. 8-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next