WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Ask Zack Feature!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:25 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

*checks some websites"
you mean like half an hour from now?!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:38 pm 
Watchmaker

It's only eleven here. I should try and ride my anticipation out with a long, boring film. And the fact that I haven't slept is killing my brain at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:53 pm 
The Watcher

AYBGerrardo wrote:
*checks some websites"
you mean like half an hour from now?!

Like in ten minutes...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:00 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

awesome its here!!
must read!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:05 pm 
The Watcher

Any comments on the actual story should be posted is this thread...
http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=448

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:40 pm 
Existence is random.

Finally the long wait is over! I can't wait to read the part 2. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:24 pm 
Tired of Earth.

I've been waiting for two months to write this post:

Part I
Part II

There it is. And now that the Q&A is finally up, I'd like to post my wrap-up, starting with a description of the selection process.

First, DoomsdayClock collected entries from that great widget he put together. He read through all of the entries, throwing out the ones that were unusable, derogatory, just plain stupid or didn't ask a question at all (seriously). The 113 or so that passed the vetting process were sent to me.

I printed all of the questions out and cut them into individual bits of paper. The questions were sorted into piles, one for the ending, one for Black Freighter, one for the costumes, one for Alan Moore, etc. The ending and Black Freighter had the biggest piles, so I started with those. I picked out the best, most representative question from those piles.

And when the biggest piles had been cut, I progressed to the questions that were just interesting. Rorschach's mask, run-time, electric cars, the fight styles, etc. Finally, I padded the list with the most interesting questions I could find. Stuff that pertained to Snyder as a director and asked deep questions about the graphic novel and the movie.

When I picked out 15, I sent them to DD for the stamp of approval and he sent them to WB. Flash forward two months, and here we are.

I tell you all this because I always wanted this to be as transparent as possible. When DD first e-mailed me with the news that this was happening, I had all sorts of plans about how everyone could suggest questions and vote on them. I wanted everyone to know exactly what questions would be asked and I wanted everyone to be involved in this. I believed that the selection process should be as democratic as possible so you all knew that your voices were being heard. DD felt otherwise. He wanted to keep the surprise element and he thought we were good enough custodians of the fandom to choose the questions on your behalf. I am so glad he was right.

Thanks have been thrown around quite a bit with regards to this Q&A. Many have thanked me for my role, and I accept the gratitude happily. But now it's my turn to offer acknowledgment.

First and foremost, thanks to everyone who submitted these entries. It brings me no end of happiness to know that so many Watchmen fans all over the world came to participate in this event and put so much thought into every question.

Additional thanks and congratulations to our "winners," Watchmaker, Alan C., ManOWar, Noel M, Oscar, TK8103, Soupdragon, Cory Brown, JDsGirlBev, hank_chinaski, and Keith Ellis. Honorable mentions go to Leah, mike_tyson, and Jefferson Powers.

My heartfelt gratitude goes to the many fine people at Warner Bros. and the Watchmen staff who made this possible. It's hard to give so many people credit when we don't know their names or faces, but I cannot stress this enough: Without their help and support, DD and I would never have possibly dreamed of this unprecedented event.

Which brings me to the next person of interest: Our esteemed site administrator, DoomsdayClock. This man organized the entire fan Q&A himself. He talked with the folks at Warners, he built the web page that accepted entries, he decided how to break the story to you, our users. This was such a monumental undertaking and he put so much upon himself to make it work. More personally, he brought me into the project. He trusted me with news of the event weeks before anyone else had any idea what was going to happen. He gave me the rare and exciting, though slightly terrifying chance to choose the 15 questions representative of a worldwide and 20-year-old fandom.

Ever since the site began, DD has placed immense trust and responsibility upon me, never more so than in the past few months. He made me a vital part of this site, this fandom and this event and I will forever be grateful.

And finally, great, big, super-special thanks to the man himself, Zack Snyder. I still find it astonishing that when Snyder promised us 10 answers, he delivered 11. I was biting my nails for months, obsessing over the 15 questions I had chosen, wondering which ones would be rejected... and except for the one about the ending, the ones he rejected turned out to be the weakest links. A lesser man wouldn't have taken this on or simply brushed it aside on the grounds that he had things to do. But not Snyder. In his answers, he showed incredible sincerity, thoughtfulness and enthusiasm for this project.

I am extremely grateful to Zack Snyder for making this the outstanding fan Q&A I knew it would be. I thank him again and wish him the best of luck for the movie.

For so long, I was worried about this event. I obsessed over every selection, every question. I constantly worried about how happy you would all be with the final results. I knew that this was a once-in-a-lifetime chance, I knew that this would be all over the Internet and I knew that there would be thousands of people worldwide who would be disappointed in me and in the site if I screwed up. But the response to the Q&A is overwhelmingly positive, which brings me no end of joy.

Thank you all, my friends. Thank you all very much.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:15 am 
Alien Squid Monster

You guys did a great job. Organization and all. Kudos!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:59 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

I was thrilled to see one of my questions made the cut. Still ruminating over the intriguing answers to the two sets.

I think the caginess surrounding "the ending" is interesting. All along we've heard that the GN has been lying around the set. JDM was given it to help learn his lines and so on. Has Snyder been lying around the set? ;)

Given the talk and evidence of source-fidelity, along with the fact that Snyder has stated "we will be definitely keeping the ending" it would seem very trashy to eventually renage on that "promise" and meddle with the mad-scientist operation surrounding the wretched bum-faced Chimera at the end of the book.

Is the end the ketchup-splashed last page? Is the end everything from the words "I think it's Adrian"?

Or is the end everything on from Kovac's sign held in his woolly fingerless mittens? :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:33 pm 
Intrinsic Field Subtractor

What is "the ending?"

To understand this, you have to understand story mechanics. Every story must have a beginning, a middle, and an end.

Jack Woodford once gave an example of story formula like this: "Boy meets girl; girl gets boy into pickle; boy gets pickle into girl.”

Basically, the beginning (ACT I) establishes the setting and introduces the characters and the conflict. That is, we meet the protagonist and learn what he wants and why he CAN'T HAVE IT.

In Watchmen, we have multiple protagonists who all want different things, but eventually share the same goal... to save the world/to solve the crime/to punish the guilty.

The middle (ACT II) involves the character's efforts to overcome the conflict or the sources of antagonism and get what he wants. Unfortunately for him, the conflict becomes greater and greater until it seems by the end of ACT II to be absolutely insurmountable.

In Watchmen, it becomes increasingly unlikely that Rorschach will solve Blake's murder, especially after he ends up in Prison. It becomes increasingly unlikely that the world will be saved once Nixon goes into the Mountain at NORAD and war seems inevitable.

And, of course, when we learn that Veidt is the villain, it seems highly unlikely that our motley band will be able to outthink his genius and resources.

The end (ACT III) reveals the solution. Either the protagonist overcomes the forces of antagonism or decisively fails. Either way, the victory or failure must be irrevocable.

The Ending of Watchmen would be Episode XII.

In Watchmen, we have the irony of the villain who wants what the heroes want but is out to get it in a different way. Veidt wants to save the world. The heroes' goal of stopping the villain, but failing... and compromising... is their way of dealing with the fact that what they and the villain really want are the same thing. They get what they want... but as with all irony... not in the way they expect. Their defeat is irrevocable as it becomes not just physical, but philosophical.

The tentacles of our squid wind through the plot in a manner that would make it extremely difficult to tell this story without this ending.

So, saying "I am absolutely keeping the ending" is inaccurate if there is no squid or if Adrian bites the dust.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7