WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Awesome site!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:45 am 
Vigilante

I frequent the website often but never realized there was a forum :D

This is great, i've browsed through a few of the threads, and i'm happy with the type of discussions that are going on here! The last watchmen forum i was on, was the one at "rorschachsjournal.com" or something, and turned out the moderator of that board gave away all our emails and we got spammed like crazy haha
But i really dig this forum!

Good work!

Post subject: Re: Awesome site!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:21 am 
Indestructible Man

Welcome, Nekronicle.

Yes, I'm familiar with Rorschach's Journal. I was Curiosity Inc. over there as well, with the highest post count of all the forum members. That's how much I tried to make the thing work.

It was because of RJ.Com's failure that I encouraged DoomsdayClock to build this forum. I helped him arrange the layout, learning from RJ's mistakes. And so, here we all are.

Thanks for coming by.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:30 am 
Watchmaker

What exactly happened with Rorschach's Journal? I've kept hearing over and over that it was this huge, horrible mess.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:30 am 
Indestructible Man

Rorsach wrote:
What exactly happened with Rorschach's Journal? I've kept hearing over and over that it was this huge, horrible mess.

Okay, one more time. *deep breath*

Many months ago, several movie news sites received a strange e-mail, in character, from someone who claimed to be Rorschach. The e-mail contained a URL: rorschach'sjournal.com. At the time, it only contained an e-mail link and shifting Morse code messages hidden in invisotext. At the time, everyone was baffled. Was this a viral marketing campaign for the movie, or something else entirely?

Eventually, the website was updated. Rorschach's Journal was now a movie news site with a forum for discussion about Watchmen and the movie. At long last, we Watchmen fans had a place to go for news on the movie and discussion about all things Watchmen. RJ.Com also linked to another site: TheVeidtMethod.Com. This was made out to be a website promoting the Veidt Method, run by Ozymandias himself. However, RJ.Com said that Veidt was not to be trusted and the website was not what it seemed. Translation: It was an attempt at a viral online game.

The forum was presided over by "Rorschach" himself. Unfortunately, the forum was extremely slow. I kept insisting that the forum needed a moderator to keep conversation going and keep the forum clean, but my suggestions fell on deaf ears.

Then I started noticing that I'd been receiving more spam in my e-mail than usual. Turns out this wasn't a coincidence. A forum user had found a spam list online with the e-mail addresses of nearly every user on the forum (including mine). We all demanded an explanation, but the link became inactive and "Rorschach" remained silent.

Finally, there was CHUD.Com. They had done some detective work and found that "Rorschach" was none other than Michael Regina, the mind behind TheOneRing.Net and KongIsKing.Net, among other well-respected movie news sites. CHUD.Com simultaneously published a scathing article saying that Warner Bros. should sue Regina for copyright infringement and cashing in on the Watchmen movie. Regina wrote a counter-attack under his own name... but published it on RJ.Com under "Rorschach." He broke character. And from that point on, I never saw "Rorschach" on the forum again.

A few months later, this upstart named "DoomsdayClock" registered on the RJ.Com forum and said that he had a brand new Watchmen fansite that had just hit the 'Net. I clicked on the link and immediately thought "This is what RJ.Com should be." DD asked for feedback and I told him that he needed a forum. After analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of the RJ.Com forum, I hammered out the plans for the first layout of our forum and said that he needed a moderator.

A few weeks later and after a few e-mails with DD, the forum finally launched. I had been given the post of moderator and the honor of being the first to post on the new forum. The status of RJ.Com could be described thusly:

Quote:
"The forum over at WatchmenComicMovie.Com is now online! It's been up for a full day now, and it's already livelier and better-informed than this site.

This will be my last post here. As far as I'm concerned, this site has grown stagnant and ill-informed. What's worse, the admin here, Michael "Rorschach" Regina, may well have sold us all out to spamming companies. I have waited patiently for some apology or explanation from "Rorschach" and I have waited further for activity to develop here. Neither has happened yet, and neither will likely happen.

RJ.Com and TheVeidtMethod.Com set out to create a central Watchmen fansite and a fan-made viral campaign. They were part of a single grand experiment in bringing the Watchmen fanbase together. That experiment has failed.

To that end, I am signing off RJ.Com for the last time and throwing my full weight behind DoomsdayClock, his fansite and his forum." -- Curiosity Inc., Sep. 01, 2007.

To this day, no one has posted on that forum since I so publicly left. The news section on RJ.Com hasn't been updated since Zack Snyder's initial online greeting to the fans and TheVeidtMethod went nowhere. And the rest is history.

Any questions?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:30 am 
New Frontiersman

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Rorsach wrote:

Many months ago, several movie news sites received a strange e-mail, in character, from someone who claimed to be Rorschach. The e-mail contained a URL: rorschach'sjournal.com. At the time, it only contained an e-mail link and shifting Morse code messages hidden in invisotext. At the time, everyone was baffled. Was this a viral marketing campaign for the movie, or something else entirely?

Eventually, the website was updated. Rorschach's Journal was now a movie news site with a forum for discussion about Watchmen and the movie. At long last, we Watchmen fans had a place to go for news on the movie and discussion about all things Watchmen. RJ.Com also linked to another site: TheVeidtMethod.Com. This was made out to be a website promoting the Veidt Method, run by Ozymandias himself. However, RJ.Com said that Veidt was not to be trusted and the website was not what it seemed. Translation: It was an attempt at a viral online game.

The forum was presided over by "Rorschach" himself. Unfortunately, the forum was extremely slow. I kept insisting that the forum needed a moderator to keep conversation going and keep the forum clean, but my suggestions fell on deaf ears.

Then I started noticing that I'd been receiving more spam in my e-mail than usual. Turns out this wasn't a coincidence. A forum user had found a spam list online with the e-mail addresses of nearly every user on the forum (including mine). We all demanded an explanation, but the link became inactive and "Rorschach" remained silent.

Finally, there was CHUD.Com. They had done some detective work and found that "Rorschach" was none other than Michael Regina, the mind behind TheOneRing.Net and KongIsKing.Net, among other well-respected movie news sites. CHUD.Com simultaneously published a scathing article saying that Warner Bros. should sue Regina for copyright infringement and cashing in on the Watchmen movie. Regina wrote a counter-attack under his own name... but published it on RJ.Com under "Rorschach." He broke character. And from that point on, I never saw "Rorschach" on the forum again.

A few months later, this upstart named "DoomsdayClock" registered on the RJ.Com forum and said that he had a brand new Watchmen fansite that had just hit the 'Net. I clicked on the link and immediately thought "This is what RJ.Com should be." DD asked for feedback and I told him that he needed a forum. After analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of the RJ.Com forum, I hammered out the plans for the first layout of our forum and said that he needed a moderator.

A few weeks later and after a few e-mails with DD, the forum finally launched. I had been given the post of moderator and the honor of being the first to post on the new forum. The status of RJ.Com could be described thusly:

Quote:
"The forum over at WatchmenComicMovie.Com is now online! It's been up for a full day now, and it's already livelier and better-informed than this site.

This will be my last post here. As far as I'm concerned, this site has grown stagnant and ill-informed. What's worse, the admin here, Michael "Rorschach" Regina, may well have sold us all out to spamming companies. I have waited patiently for some apology or explanation from "Rorschach" and I have waited further for activity to develop here. Neither has happened yet, and neither will likely happen.

RJ.Com and TheVeidtMethod.Com set out to create a central Watchmen fansite and a fan-made viral campaign. They were part of a single grand experiment in bringing the Watchmen fanbase together. That experiment has failed.

To that end, I am signing off RJ.Com for the last time and throwing my full weight behind DoomsdayClock, his fansite and his forum." -- Curiosity Inc., Sep. 01, 2007.

To this day, no one has posted on that forum since I so publicly left. The news section on RJ.Com hasn't been updated since Zack Snyder's initial online greeting to the fans and TheVeidtMethod went nowhere. And the rest is history.

Any questions?

Sorry, i didn't get you. Can you repeat again? :P

I'm kidding! but that was an interesting history lesson. You should put that up in the main site. From the humble beginings to the success it is today. Readers will feel a sense of pride in being able to be part of it by participating in the boards. You should feel proud Curi for your part in this!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:45 pm 
Watchmaker

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Rorsach wrote:

Quote:

Any questions?

No. :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:22 pm 
Indestructible Man

Junky_dude wrote:
Sorry, i didn't get you. Can you repeat again? :P

I'm kidding! but that was an interesting history lesson. You should put that up in the main site. From the humble beginings to the success it is today. Readers will feel a sense of pride in being able to be part of it by participating in the boards. You should feel proud Curi for your part in this!

I can't imagine putting it up on the main site. The site exists to promote Watchmen, not itself. Besides, I don't think that how we started is anywhere near as important as where we're going.

And make no mistake: I am extremely proud of the site. I am blessed and honored to have such a vital role in this site. It's just that I'm still bitter over the RJ.Com implosion. I had such high hopes for the site and I put so much into making it work... yet it still failed. I don't like that.

But like I said, it's not about where we've been, it's about where we're going. And it's only going to get better from here, my friends.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:53 pm 
New Frontiersman

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
I can't imagine putting it up on the main site. The site exists to promote Watchmen, not itself. Besides, I don't think that how we started is anywhere near as important as where we're going.

Wow, i applaud you on that. I guess nothing can beat an intrinsic reward. :D

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
But like I said, it's not about where we've been, it's about where we're going. And it's only going to get better from here, my friends.

a great philosopher once said
Quote:
you won't know where your going, till you know where you've been
;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:59 pm 
I DID IT!

Just wanted to say for "THANKS" for all the great brand new updates!
From fan films to a double header story...it really made my day...and probably my week!

Your hard work has not gone and around here will not go unnoticed! :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:59 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

^^What he said!
I love seeing a new story or video on the site! Thanks very much DDC, Curi (and this week: HappyHarry!)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:16 pm 
So impotent.

The Internet site is really great!

Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:09 pm 
Crimebuster

I suppose I should properly introduce myself.....
Hello, I'm 'Silk Specter'......

I also, have been scoping out Watchmen sites....almost gave up hope of finding one that really seemed the effort to join. I kept coming back to this one, though.....the layout is nice, fairly easy to maneuver around in....but most important I am drawn by the people who are posting here. I impressed with your level of knowledge and fondness for Watchmen....not just the movie... but also your appreciation for the original story/comic and the men who created it....this is an awesome site!

I don't belong to any other fan sites and I would like to call this one 'home-base' for my Watchmen obsession...if you'll have me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:39 pm 
Indestructible Man

Silk Specter wrote:
I don't belong to any other fan sites and I would like to call this one 'home-base' for my Watchmen obsession...if you'll have me.
We're glad to have you, Specter. Welcome aboard.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:29 am 
New Frontiersman

Silk Specter wrote:

welcome aboard. yup, i find this my 'home' for watchmen stuff. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:51 pm 
I DID IT!

Junky_dude wrote:
Silk Specter wrote:

what sucks about this site is that it is addicting to look at all the time.

welcome by the way... :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:47 pm 
The Watcher

CSFRITZ wrote:
Junky_dude wrote:
Silk Specter wrote:

It's all the crack-cocaine I've laced into the pages of the site. Muhahahahahaha! :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:20 pm 
Crimebuster

DoomsdayClock wrote:
CSFRITZ wrote:
Junky_dude wrote:
Silk Specter wrote:

It's all the crack-cocaine I've laced into the pages of the site. Muhahahahahaha! :twisted:

Thank God! Whew....I thought I was having a serious case of obsessive/compulsiveness....but it's OK now....just don't let Rorschach know......