WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:58 am 
Alien Squid Monster

well i don't know about the rest of you, but i sure hope DDC is working on another website about an upcoming something awesome so i have something else to check on the internet as obsessively as i did with this webpage. updates?

ps., how about maybe doing Y the Last Man?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:31 am 
Alien Squid Monster

But i dont WANT there to be a next! I like this the way it is now!

No upcoming work of fiction (Or fact) well ever be detailed and layered enough to even scrape the complexity of watchmen and therefore the discussions will never be as interesting at the ones on here.

[/ignorant comment]

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:30 pm 
Tired of Earth.

There's also the fact that this site was designed to fill a very specific niche. Until this site came online, the 'Net was noticeably lacking in comprehensive fansites for Watchmen. Except for the Vivarium (newcomers need not apply), the Paramount board (long defunct), RorschachsJournal (a fiasco by any definition) and the IMDB Watchmen forum (loaded with trolls), there really wasn't a forum for Watchmen fans to get together online, talk about anything Watchmen and learn from each other about the story's complexity. What's more, we didn't really have a fansite for breaking news, a la Batman-on-Film.

From what I know of DD, I think that Star Trek is the only other property he cares about enough to make another fansite for. But then, there are already so many Star Trek fansites, why should he bother?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:37 pm 
The Watcher

If I start another site it will be for broader topic.

I've been considering creating a site dedicated to either Sci-fi films and TV or graphic novels (Watchmen, Sandman, Maus, Y the Last Man, V for Vendetta, etc.)

But I won't do it without a dedicated volunteer staff willing to stay on top of the news and keep the site fresh. I'm sure Curiosity and Carl would volunteer to take charge of the forum, but without several staff contributors it's just impossible to run a site like that.

Unless the site becomes gigantically popular there will never be any revenue worth sharing, so the volunteers would have to do it from a labor of love and be happy with whatever swag and press invites the site would occasionally provide them.

So that's the deal.

Post subject: Do the Tango
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:27 pm 
A brother to dragons.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
There's also the fact that this site was designed to fill a very specific niche. Until this site came online, the 'Net was noticeably lacking in comprehensive fansites for Watchmen. Except for the Vivarium (newcomers need not apply), the Paramount board (long defunct), RorschachsJournal (a fiasco by any definition) and the IMDB Watchmen forum (loaded with trolls), there really wasn't a forum for Watchmen fans to get together online, talk about anything Watchmen and learn from each other about the story's complexity. What's more, we didn't really have a fansite for breaking news, a la Batman-on-Film.

The Vivarium, too, was designed to fill a very specific niche; namely, a board without the censhorship and posting delays that had been brought on by the Paramount board's sole moderator (Veidt in name and character) in response to the posting of Brad Grey's and Gail Berman's e-mail addresses (blame Servator, it was his doing). You, for the most part, had to be at the Paramount board to be aware of the Vivarium; that, or stumble on it by accident (which I think happened with the Guard).

No one is talking, currently, but newcomers are most definitely welcome to post or just peruse the history (warts and all).

The Vivarium

Not quite on topic, but I never really did get the hang of these things.

Post subject: Re: Do the Tango
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:09 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Broken Finger wrote:
Not quite on topic, but I never really did get the hang of these things.

On the contrary. I was hoping one of our users from the Vivarium's old guard would chime in.

Post subject: Lambada, My Ass
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:32 am 
A brother to dragons.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
On the contrary. I was hoping one of our users from the Vivarium's old guard would chime in.

Vynson was all like, "Fuck this scene. We'll all go to my place. Motherfucker."

And so we did.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:37 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I checked out the Vivarium once or twice. I was a little surprised by the amount of WCM people there, most of whom have long stopped posting on this site. Did they all just decide they were too good for this place?

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

Post subject: watchmencomicdvd.com
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:15 pm 
A brother to dragons.

t3cii wrote:
Did they all just decide they were too good for this place?

I think I know who you're talking about here.

As loathe as I am for it to even seem as if I am speaking for someone else, I have to say, in all honesty, that no, I don't think that Doomsday Clock thinks he's too good for this place.

DoomsdayClock wrote:
If I start another site it will be for broader topic.

Oh.

Well. I have been known to be wrong...from time to time.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:04 am 
Intrinsic Field Subtractor

The prelude to a movie is very much like vanilla sex. Lots of noise and begging and longing and describing what is desired... and then the money shot... the movie is seen... followed almost immediately by rolling over and going to sleep.

I started the Vivarium, as BF said, in response to the shitty treatment some of us received on the Paramount site. The Vivarium is still there, and newcomers are welcome, but Curiosity's warning is not unwarranted. Some members have little to no tolerance for newbs who either haven't read the comic (several times) or don't treat it seriously. And, as I don't moderate, except to delete spam and make life hell for blatant trolls, they can say whatever they want.

Those who prefer the movie to the comic probably won't find the place a good fit, but hey... there are no rules... ill fits are often interesting.

As for this place... I like it here. The time I have available for the internet varies wildly and more and more of my writing time is spent actually writing and less and less spent rambling in forums... much to the joy of many, I'm sure.

But this place has been very comprehensive and enjoyable. Thanks to all.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:26 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Location: The Gemini sector, tooling around the space lanes of the frontier.
I was thinking along these same lines. I was beginning to wonder if this forum would end up going the way of the dodo as it seems that The Spirit movie's forum went (since I can't find it anymore). I came into this mix here a little late, so I was hoping that I wouldn't be a member for all of a few months, and then: BAM, the forum doesn't exist anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:46 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Sun-chained-in-ink wrote:
I was thinking along these same lines. I was beginning to wonder if this forum would end up going the way of the dodo as it seems that The Spirit movie's forum went (since I can't find it anymore).

Here's the difference, Sun: The Spirit movie bombed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:54 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
I was thinking along these same lines. I was beginning to wonder if this forum would end up going the way of the dodo as it seems that The Spirit movie's forum went (since I can't find it anymore).

Plus Watchmen had been in development hell for almost 20 years. People had plenty of time to talk about it once the movie had started production. I had been followed the production months before this site had been created, and I think that's true of a lot of this sites members. The Spirit had nowhere near the anticipation.

I didn't think I'd still be posting as regularly as I am, but it's a hard habit to break. And this site is always up to date. You never have to wait more than a day to get a response back on any given topic, and there's always tons of other topics to talk about.

Also, how many other Watchmen sites are out there? This is one of the only places where you can talk about the book in depth on a daily basis. I think once the film comes out on DVD, it might not be a bad idea to have this site become just a general Watchmen site. Hopefully new fans will continue to visit the site, not just to talk about the movie, but the book itself.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:22 pm 
Tired of Earth.

t3cii wrote:
Also, how many other Watchmen sites are out there? This is one of the only places where you can talk about the book in depth on a daily basis. I think once the film comes out on DVD, it might not be a bad idea to have this site become just a general Watchmen site.

I thought we already were.

Still, it's easy to get the impression that our site is solely about the Watchmen movie, since that's where pretty much all the news has been for the past few years. Still, I'm sure that we'll continue to host content about the graphic novel as well. I've personally written a few features on the subject and DD's been sitting on them for a few months, waiting for the movie buzz to die down. Hopefully, you'll all get to see them at some point.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:53 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Location: The Gemini sector, tooling around the space lanes of the frontier.
Curiosity Inc. wrote:

Well, yeah. :lol:

Riddle me this ... do you think that, after awhile, there won't be anything left to discuss? I guess what I mean to say is, do you think that Watchmen can be "talked out," to the point where all someone'd have to do is use the search feature and read everyone else's posts instead of posting, or do you think that the GN and movie can spawn endless discussion? Call me jaded after registering with a cool name on The Spirit forum and having that rug yanked the fuck out from under me rather abruptly. ;) That, and I'm just beginning to like it here.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:35 am 
Tired of Earth.

Riddle me this ... do you think that, after awhile, there won't be anything left to discuss? I guess what I mean to say is, do you think that Watchmen can be "talked out," to the point where all someone'd have to do is use the search feature and read everyone else's posts instead of posting, or do you think that the GN and movie can spawn endless discussion?

Is there a limit to questions about Watchmen? Maybe.

Is there a limit to answers and perspectives about Watchmen? I refuse to believe so.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:12 am 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

Everything dies, Sun-chained-in-ink. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:47 pm 
Crimebuster

Where has everyone gone? Why are there only 3-7 members online at any given time? The Comic/Graphic Novel section at least shouldn't be virtually devoid of discussion.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:06 am 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

These things are cyclical....I imagine there won't be much discussion of the comic for a while because at this point we have something that we can discuss in detail for the first time... but in the future the GN discussion will certainly return, and maybe it'll crossover to comparisons with the film and vice versa. It'll be interesting, for sure!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:20 pm 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

I'd be willing to contribute news photos etc. for a sci fi/ fantasy site. It may not be as regularly as Carl or Curi, but I'd love to do that. It might make me feel productive :D

As far as this forum goes, I hope it keeps going as strong as it is for years and years to come. This is my #1 forum even for things not related to Watchmen (movies obviously being one of them).

Then again, maybe if the site's time begins to pass we could all migrate to a new website ;)

Either way, I don't want this to end.

ImageImage