WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fan Commentaries!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:29 pm 
Tired of Earth.

This is a pet project I've been stewing for a while now. It started back in December/January, when forum users were saying that there should be a fan commentary on the Watchmen DVD. Then the thought occurred to me: Why don't we make our own?

To make a very long story short, I got together with TheMovieDude and AYBGerrardo to do a fan commentary on the Under the Hood featurette. I sent it to DD at the end of last June, but he's been unable to upload it to the main site. However, he has given me clearance to post it here.

This is just as well, because I was hoping for feedback since the beginning. This commentary was really meant to be a test drive in preparation for the main feature. I'd like to hear what worked, what didn't work, and if you'd like to see more of these fan commentaries.

So, without further ado, I'd like to present the WatchmenComicMovie commentary of Under the Hood, featuring AYBGerrardo, TheMovieDude and yours truly. Just click here to download the commentary, load it onto an iPod or some other mp3 player and listen to it while you're watching Under the Hood.

Enjoy and post feedback!

Post subject: Re: Fan Commentaries!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:54 pm 
Gazing into the abyss.

What version of Under the hood? The downloaded version (avi, mp4, etc), the dvd, the blu ray?

Also, this is the direct link for the file: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?nyzznteqlny for those who don't know how to handle mediafire.

Great idea, Curi!. I gotta go now, but will listen to it soon.

English not very good. Forgive me.

http://www.ghondar.blogspot.com
Because people on the internet think that I'm somewhat funny.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:11 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Ghondar wrote:
What version of Under the hood? The downloaded version (avi, mp4, etc), the dvd, the blu ray?

Doesn't matter. The commentary and the movie are separate. The idea is to start them at the same time, watch one and listen to the other.

You know that trick where you play Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon while watching Wizard of Oz? It's the same basic idea.

EDIT: Oh, and I fixed the link. Thanks, Ghondar!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:21 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
I sent it to DD at the end of last June, but he's been unable to upload it to the main site. However, he has given me clearance to post it here.

Quote:
Welcome to the Gunga Diner — where we dish out all the à la carte tidbits we couldn’t find a home for on any other page of this Web site.

How 'bout there? :P

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:23 pm 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

I figured by "unable to upload" he meant there was some technical or legal reason preventing him from doing it, not that he couldn't find a place on the site for it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:36 pm 
Tired of Earth.

BlackDoomShadow wrote:
I figured by "unable to upload" he meant there was some technical or legal reason preventing him from doing it, not that he couldn't find a place on the site for it.

Beg pardon.

I meant only to say that he hasn't been able to find time for it. It's possible that there's some technical limitation as well, but if there were any legal reasons against this, I would never have started the project, let alone posted it anywhere here.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:59 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

on the WB BD-Live advert at the begginning of the WMDC BD there is something about creating your own commentaries. i think the example was for TDK andi haven't used the BD-Live feature yet. is there that feature on the WM-BD?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:59 pm 
A pretty butterfly.

First of all, this is an excellent idea. I'm actually considering doing a commentary myself. It's a shame that there doesn't seem to be too many others interested in making their own. It could have made for a very interesting section on the main website.

Second, I finally got a chance to watch Under the Hood with your commentary today.

I really enjoyed it. It successfully provided the perspective from 3 very grounded, thoughtful, and well-informed fans.

It had some interesting observations and opinions from everyone that participated.

The pace did begin to slow down at some parts, but Curiosity Inc. consistently made the save by introducing new topics of conversation.

All in all -- very nice job. Will you guys be doing any more?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:28 am 
Tired of Earth.

Sasso wrote:
All in all -- very nice job. Will you guys be doing any more?

First of all, Sasso, thank you.

Actually, this commentary was the second one that I made. The Black Freighter commentary was recorded months before this one was. Unfortunately, even after all of this time, I'm still missing a third of that commentary. During preparations, you see, I had neglected to ask if everyone involved had a means of getting their tracks to me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very proud of the Under the Hood commentary. I had a great time doing it and I'm very thankful to AYB and TheMovieDude for the time and effort they put into this. But having said that, I really do think the Black Freighter commentary was better.

Trying to re-record it would break my heart, but I might be persuaded into it if enough of you want that. Really, if you guys want to see more of these commentaries, speak up!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:13 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

More commentaries! It's nice to see what the creators of a work say about it and all that, but it's also pretty cool just listening to fans and all their different opinions. So yeah we should have more, maybe even a special place on the site that has links to all the commentaries. We could get the whole forum in on it, and everyone can make their own commentary with their friends or other members of the forum.

In fact, I'm up for a commentary on the Director's cut, so anyone who's interested, just post I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:30 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I'm glad that those who've heard them are enjoying the commentaries. I personally, would love to do another one.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:30 pm 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Ah, a multicultural fanbase reflected in a multicultural commentary. Awesome.

As for some critiques, I gotta say you guys need to have a little more fun with it. I've noticed that the commentaries I enjoy more tend to sound more like guys hanging out than an actual commentary. They're constantly cracking jokes and referencing things that have nothing to do with the actual material.

This is only a small criticism, and of course you can't go overboard with getting off topic, but it's nice to do it once in a while. Overall I loved it. I'm glad you guys did it! We should think of doing fan commentaries for other films. It could make for some awesome times.

On a side note, Curi sounds like a huge :geek:
And that's a good thing :D

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:44 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

So anyone up for a TOBF commentary or a DC commentary?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:38 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

InfinityQuantum wrote:

I am!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:28 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

I'd be up for any commentary, honestly. Yet, I'm not sure It'd be fun anymore if everybody wanted in on one.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:00 am 
Tired of Earth.

InfinityQuantum wrote:

You'll have to ask DogWithHeadSplitOpen if you'll ever hear the TOTBF commentary.

As for the DC commentary... well, I've got a few ideas.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:08 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
InfinityQuantum wrote:

You'll have to ask DogWithHeadSplitOpen if you'll ever hear the TOTBF commentary.

As for the DC commentary... well, I've got a few ideas.

Do share, please.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:20 am 
The Watcher

I'm up to do a commentary with AYB and Curiosity. Let me know what I need to do...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:23 pm 
Tired of Earth.

DoomsdayClock wrote:
I'm up to do a commentary with AYB and Curiosity. Let me know what I need to do...

To be honest, Doomsday, I was hoping to give someone else a turn. Nothing against either of them, of course, but there are simply too many great and intelligent Watchmen fans here to focus just on AYB and MovieDude. I'd very much like to have someone else take a shot.

...Though now you have me doubting myself, since a DC commentary with you and AYB would undoubtedly be awesome for all involved.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:34 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

I think people can make their own. There doesn't need to be only one. A lot of DVD/BD's have multiple commentary tracks, one with the writers, one with the actors, etc. It gives different points of view. As fans, I'm sure we all have different opinions on certain scenes and how it affected the movie,etc. If people just wanna watch the film with a couple of fans and talk about it, who's to stop them? This isn't serious business, the commentaries I enjoy the most, are the ones that feel relaxed and laid back, and you just know that the directors/actors are having a good time watching it.

If doomsdayclock wants to make one with Curri and AYB that'd be fine. It would be pretty awesome in fact. I definitely enjoyed the one with Curi, AYB, and themoviedude. A lot of great insights.

I'll be happy to do one with a couple of other members who wanna do it as well.