WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:48 pm 
The Watcher

I think this will be fun. Who do you want to join and post on this forum the most aside from the actors and crew involved in the Watchmen movie, Alan Moore or Dave Gibbons? Which is obviously a given.

For me, I have two big ones...

1. Kevin Smith
2. Wil Wheaton

I have even tried to solicit them with no luck. Maybe if we compile a big list, some of them will see it and post. I can dream, can't I?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:01 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

Yeah! Kevin Smith would be frikkin awesome!
Not only is he a great film-maker, he's awesome at telling stories - he's the perfect person to chat to on a forum!
Damn, I can't top that!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:09 pm 
The Watcher

AYBGerrardo wrote:
Yeah! Kevin Smith would be frikkin awesome!
Not only is he a great film-maker, he's awesome at telling stories - he's the perfect person to chat to on a forum!
Damn, I can't top that!

Plus he's a massive comics and Watchmen fan. He'll be at Comic Con. Maybe I'll corner him.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:16 pm 

DoomsdayClock wrote:
Maybe I'll corner him.

Impossible! Wherever he is, he'd corner you!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:56 pm 
Indestructible Man

Well, I'd think that Terry Gilliam, Darren Aronofsky and Paul Greengrass would be shoe-ins as well. And I'd love to hear what Joss Whedon would have to say about Watchmen. I also heard that Damon Lindelof of "Lost" fame is a Watchmen fan.

It would be fun to have Bill "Jett" Ramey from Batman-On-Film stop by, and I wonder if there are any successful webcomic artists (Mike "Gabe" Krahulik, Jerry "Tycho" Holkins, Tatsuya Ishida, etc.) who are familiar enough with Watchmen to post here.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:15 pm 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

Alan Moore

Jude Law

James Marsters

Tom Cruise

Carla Gugino ;)

Jackie Earle Haley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:18 pm 

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
I also heard that Damon Lindelof of "Lost" fame is a Watchmen fan.

He's probably one of the biggest fans! My paperback has praise on the back where the blurb would be...he calls it "the greatest piece of popular fiction ever produced"....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:25 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

AYBGerrardo wrote:
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
I also heard that Damon Lindelof of "Lost" fame is a Watchmen fan.

He's probably one of the biggest fans! My paperback has praise on the back where the blurb would be...he calls it "the greatest piece of popular fiction ever produced"....

Yep, that would be cool, although I think he is of the opinion that Watchmen is better off not being adapted to film. Then again, as a huge Lost fan myself (maybe even bigger than Watchmen) I'd still be interested in his take. Especially when seeing the nods to the book he's put into the show.

Alfonso wrote:
Carla Gugino ;)

I'd be cool with that too ;) .

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:32 pm 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Joss Whedon

Neil Gaiman

Alex Ross

Robin Williams

DanDreiberg (I miss his act).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:43 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

It would be interesting to see what Frank Miller has to say about Watchmen. After all, Alan Moore did wrote an intro of his The Dark Knight Returns.

http://www.teako170.com/knight.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:04 pm 
Vigilante

Steven Seagal. For no real reason, other than that it'd be pretty funny.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:11 pm 
I DID IT!

If Zack already doesnt...him then.

Jim Lee...

Alan Moores mom...

The entire cast of Watchmen...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:19 pm 
A brother to dragons.

Neil Gaiman? That would be cool.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:22 pm 
I DID IT!

The Veidt Method wrote:

Where have you been man?

You posted a bunch then just....fell off the face of the earth.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:43 pm 
A brother to dragons.

CSFRITZ wrote:
The Veidt Method wrote:

Where have you been man?

You posted a bunch then just....fell off the face of the earth.

Well, I posted a short explanation in another thread when I first returned, but I guess not everybody is reading all the threads all the time. :lol:

I was busy taking my IB tests, graduating from high school, and moving down to Florida. Then I was off in Orlando for a bit, and I've had to work out my college scholarships and shopping. So, not a whole lot of time for posting, unfortunately. But, now I'm back for at least a month! College doesn't start until 8/20.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:45 pm 
A brother to dragons.

Soupdragon wrote:
Joss Whedon

Neil Gaiman

Alex Ross

Robin Williams

DanDreiberg (I miss his act).

Hey, I'll second that dandreiberg. I miss the old fella.

I'll also add:

Steve Moore, so we can possibly get an explanation why and how a friend of Alan's gets the job of writing the novelization to the poorly adapted movie version of the awesome and mind-blowing comic book V for Vendetta.

John Byrne, so I can call him an asshole to his e-face. Trendy, I know, but sometimes I can't help myself.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:57 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Casandra Faust. Mainly Id like to thank her, and just see what else shes got hidden.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:00 pm 
Vigilante

Roger Avary. His comments are always a good read, and he's got great insight in what makes an adaptation work.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:35 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Chiwetel Ejiofor (FIrefly, Children of Men) is a huge Watchmen fan. He's one of my favourite actors and I was surprised to hear just what a fan he was. He has the same concerns about the film as a lot of others do. I think he'd have a blast here!

I don't know if this was posted here, but here's a link to the interview.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/05/13/interview-chiwetel-ejiofor-on-redbelt-serenity-and-watchmen/#watchmen

Here's the relevant part. It's interesting that his last thought echoes Zack's in the Time article, that people and studios don't go about writing graphic novels just to turn them into movies, that they have value on their own.

Ejiofor: Yes, that's the thing. There always needs to be the progression. The real advantages, of course, that these things have an in-built audience, which is why the studios are interested. So they have people who are just going to go and see. I'm going to see Watchmen, because it is an important document in my life because I remember the first time I read it, and I was like wow, that's amazing. And it changed my attitude towards the way that literature and graphic novelization could work. It seemed incredibly sophisticated to me. It is really exceptionally imaginative and it felt like an epic movie and a real leap, as well as one thing he did in that book was I think that the way that it was drawn was incredibly cinematic with sort of voiceovers and over-layering on different shots and these sort of characters coming in and out of the piece and the building and the sense of tension and a real sense of narrative and a complicated narrative story structure, and who is the bad guy and what is going to happen.

And, as well, these kind of extraordinary kinds of landscapes in the film, not just the cities but, then this sort of ending playing out in Antarctica and this kind of sense of it being beautiful and bleak. And then there is just the sense of the historic context of it all and the very dynamic history lesson within it all and the Kennedy, "who watches the Watchmen" assertation, and you just felt that there was a lot of that involved in this story as well as, actually, the discussions of physics with Dr. Manhattan - kind of nuclear physics and how that was progressing in the kind of ideas of Einstein. If I had known, I would have become a Watchman, this sense that there was just something that was very heartfelt and very intense about it and a real reflection of the contemporary world. So, as you can tell, I am a fan of Watchmen, so I am excited to see the movie.

Ejiofor: Sure. Yes, I think it can– and I heard that there are… I hope it doesn't - my only worry is that it doesn't become a way of making it into a film, that it still maintains its own original form… That people don't go towards making graphic novels in order to basically write a storyboard for a movie. You know, that it still holds its own sort of imaginative place. Otherwise, it could just kind of dry up, but I really hope that doesn't happen so that we can have another generation of the likes of From Hell or Watchmen or, they don't even necessarily have to become movies, but just to still kind of be there. That's completely different to what we started off talking about.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:50 pm 
Indestructible Man

Ejiofor is indeed a wonderful actor. As a Watchmen fan and a devoted Browncoat, I'd love to welcome him here.

And Neil Gaiman. How the hell could I have forgotten about Neil Gaiman?