WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:55 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Netflix Is Developing a Live-Action ‘Legend of Zelda’ Series
Quote:
“The Legend of Zelda,” one of the most popular videogame series of all time, is in the works as a television show at Netflix.

The video streaming service is in the early stages of developing a live action series based on “Zelda,” about an ordinary boy named Link who must rescue a princess named Zelda and save a fantasy world called Hyrule, said a person familiar with the matter. As it seeks writers to work on the show, Netflix is describing it as “Game of Thrones” for a family audience, this person said.

The “Zelda” games have traditionally included swords and sorcery, like “Game of Thrones” or “Lord of the Rings,” but typically with a more light-hearted, kid-friendly tone.

Netflix is said to be working closely with Nintendo, the Japanese game developer that has made about 20 “The Legend of Zelda” games since the original, which was released in the U.S. in 1987.

Nintendo is very protective of its intellectual property and has allowed few adaptations over the years. An animated “Legend of Zelda” series ran for just one season in 1989. A 1993 movie based on Nintendo’s “Super Mario Bros.” was an infamous bomb.

As it is still seeking a writer to work on the series, Netflix has a long road to travel before a “Legend of Zelda” series actually becomes a reality. It’s also possible that Netflix or Nintendo will kill the project before it gets off the ground.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/02/ ... ix-series/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:43 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Max Landis more or less implied on his Twitter that he was asked to work on it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:29 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Netflix and Nintendo both flat refused to comment on a story of this magnitude. This tells me that if such a project exists, there's still a significant possibility that it could fall through. There's also the fact that Nintendo has become very protective of their intellectual properties, especially in the wake of the Super Mario Bros. cinematic fiasco. Consider the failed attempt at a Metroid film:

Quote:
“What are they doing when they are NOT fighting? What is their daily existence and relationships? What are Samus's aspirations, history, and fears? Nintendo appreciated the questions, but had never thought about them before, and ultimately didn't have a lot of answers. In the end, they felt uncomfortable with our team being the ones to propose those answers.” --Brad Foxhoven, producer

So Nintendo doesn't want any filmmakers doing the world building. They'd much rather do it themselves through their games, and we all know how those -- especially the Zelda games -- have done such a bang-up job of establishing continuity. So either Nintendo has changed their tune in recent years, or we're looking at a case when Nintendo is going to micromanage everything to the point where they butt heads with the filmmakers on every point, creating a confused mess if they succeed at creating anything at all.

My one hope so far at this very, very early stage is the notion that this could be a "family friendly" alternative to Game of Thrones. It's an approach that could fit with the games, and pop culture could use something like that. Time will tell.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:35 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

whether this truly happens or not i hope they use the game music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkYSuWSPkHI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THdRs7grqhE

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:50 pm 
Tired of Earth.

they would be foolish not to use any of the game music

obviously the most popular themes will be used but lesser music will most likely be adopted into the score.