WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:11 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Quote:
SONY PICTURES ENTERTAINMENT BRINGS MARVEL STUDIOS INTO THE AMAZING WORLD OF SPIDER-MAN

New Spider-Man Will Appear First in an Upcoming Marvel Film Within Marvel’s Cinematic Universe

Marvel’s Kevin Feige to Produce Next Installment of the Spider-Man Franchise with Amy Pascal

(Culver City, California, and Burbank, California February 09, 2015) – Sony Pictures Entertainment and Marvel Studios announced today that Sony is bringing Marvel into the amazing world of Spider-Man.

Under the deal, the new Spider-Man will first appear in a Marvel film from Marvel’s Cinematic Universe (MCU). Sony Pictures will thereafter release the next installment of its $4 billion Spider-Man franchise, on July 28, 2017, in a film that will be co-produced by Kevin Feige and his expert team at Marvel and Amy Pascal, who oversaw the franchise launch for the studio 13 years ago. Together, they will collaborate on a new creative direction for the web slinger. Sony Pictures will continue to finance, distribute, own and have final creative control of the Spider-Man films.

Marvel and Sony Pictures are also exploring opportunities to integrate characters from the MCU into future Spider-Man films.

The new relationship follows a decade of speculation among fans about whether Spider-Man – who has always been an integral and important part of the larger Marvel Universe in the comic books – could become part of the Marvel Universe on the big screen. Spider-Man has more than 50 years of history in Marvel’s world, and with this deal, fans will be able to experience Spider-Man taking his rightful place among other Super Heroes in the MCU.

Bob Iger, Chairman and CEO, The Walt Disney Company said: “Spider-Man is one of Marvel’s great characters, beloved around the world. We’re thrilled to work with Sony Pictures to bring the iconic web-slinger into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which opens up fantastic new opportunities for storytelling and franchise building.”

“We always want to collaborate with the best and most successful filmmakers to grow our franchises and develop our characters. Marvel, Kevin Feige and Amy, who helped orchestrate this deal, are the perfect team to help produce the next chapter of Spider-Man,” said Michael Lynton, Chairman and CEO of Sony Pictures Entertainment. “This is the right decision for the franchise, for our business, for Marvel, and for the fans.”

“Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios share a love for the characters in the Spider-Man universe and have a long, successful history of working together. This new level of collaboration is the perfect way to take Peter Parker’s story into the future,” added Doug Belgrad, president, Sony Pictures Entertainment Motion Picture Group.

“I am thrilled to team with my friends at Sony Pictures along with Amy Pascal to produce the next Spider-Man movie,” said Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige. “Amy has been deeply involved in the realization on film of one of the world’s most beloved characters. Marvel’s involvement will hopefully deliver the creative continuity and authenticity that fans demand from the MCU. I am equally excited for the opportunity to have Spider-Man appear in the MCU, something which both we at Marvel, and fans alike, have been looking forward to for years.”

Spider-Man, embraced all over the world, is the most successful franchise in the history of Sony Pictures, with the five films having taken in more than $4 billion worldwide.

looks like andrew wont be spiderman anymore with this quote
Quote:
Under the deal, the new Spider-Man will first appear in a Marvel film from Marvel’s Cinematic Universe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:11 am 
Tired of Earth.

it will still be peter parker, i was kind of hoping for miles morales but so long as we don't have to sit through another origin story i'm all okay with it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:01 am 
Tired of Earth.

This could get ugly. I mean, it could get ugly for Spider-Man, depending on how much control Sony really has over the character.

But if I were still a shareholder at Sony, even after the godawful year they had in 2014, I'd be selling every last stock I had in them right now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:47 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Straight from Kevin Feige himself. They're sticking with the Peter Parker version, but this one will be different from the previous iterations because they plan on keeping him in high school for the foreseeable future. I guess there's still the possibility of race-swapping the character, but that's looking more and more unlikely.

And we STILL don't have confirmation of any appearance in Civil War.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:57 am 
Tired of Earth.

Now we've got this.

I don't get it. Lord and Miller generally take on projects that everyone expects to be awful. This way, they can work their magic and make whatever adjustments they deem necessary without worrying about inflated expectations or micromanaging studio execs. That's the environment they're proven to work best in, and stepping into Sony's single biggest tentpole franchise seems like the exact opposite of that.

And what the hell is going on with Sony? I get that they want to wring every last cent out of whatever Spider-Man film rights they have left, but two Spider-Man franchises happening concurrently? No way that's not going to backfire.