WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum


Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:25 am 
Offline
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:57 pm
Posts: 2817
Quote:
Earlier this year, director Neill Blomkamp of District 9 fame posted some mysterious concept art for what looked like his take on a sequel to his favorite movie Aliens, though he added the caveat that it was something he did on his own without any of the studio’s knowledge.

There’s been talk of another straight sequel to the original “Alien Quadrilogy” for many years, with Sigourney Weaver being one of the main sources of information. After a bunch of mediocre Alien vs. Predator movies, original Alien director Ridley Scott returned to that world with Prometheus, which only had a passing connection to the Aliens mythology, so Blomkamp’s concept art reinvigorated interest among the fanbase for another straight sequel.

At the early junket for Blomkamp’s Chappie, which happens to co-star Weaver, we asked the two of them about the mysterious artwork that Blomkamp posted recently and we asked Weaver about her feelings on doing more with Ripley following 1997’s Alien: Resurrection.

First, we have Blomkamp, who we asked what the deal was with that concept art, whether it was something he was playing around with or something he was actively developing?:

“It was sort of both,” he responded. “Fox didn’t know that I was developing it, so in that sense, it was completely unsanctioned and just basically for fun. To me, it wasn’t for fun. To me, that was what I wanted to do next, and I spent a lot of time doing it, and there was a lot of effort that went into. Like when I could take breaks between Chappie’s post-production winding down as VFX got under control.”

“The issue was more like whether I feel like directing another film at all,” he continued. “Not really whether Alien is the right or wrong film, if that makes sense. (Sigourney) knows about it and part of it was just inspired by speaking to her on set when we were filming Chappie, and getting her thoughts on Alien and what she thought of the movies that came after Aliens and what she felt about Ripley and what was incomplete for her about Ripley. There was so much fuel in what she was telling me.”

He added: “Alien and Aliens are probably my favorite films so was I was like, ‘Sh*t, I wouldn’t mind messing around in that world for a bit’ so I just sort of self-funded the artists to work on the artwork. I did way more artwork than I released, probably ten times more and did a lot of writing. I have a pretty cool film just in case it happens.”

We asked if he had any kind of meeting with Fox about these ideas after sharing the artwork, but so far, he says hasn’t. “Fox was blindsided by it, which wasn’t my intention,” he explained. “I just wanted to share artwork with people that liked the franchise. I don’t know whether it’s going to happen or not. We’ll see.”

He did add that there is a possibility of him putting out his ideas of a comic book if it doesn’t happen as an official movie.

That brings us to Weaver, who we spoke shortly afterwards, and we asked if she knew about how she inspired Blomkamp to start developing an Aliens project on his own. “He kept sending me these brilliant designs and ideas and everything. We’ll see what happens,” she told us.

We asked if there was more to Ripley she was interested in exploring. “It’s not that so much is that we just left it at such a creepy place, sort of stranded above Earth. I was quite happy to move onto other things and I didn’t want to go to Earth. I didn’t want to manufacture a sequel and I felt like we were starting to do that. If something happens from this, it would be very organic and very original, and because of that, it would make me want to do it. If it was someone as talented as Neill, I’d certainly listen.”

http://www.superherohype.com/news/32960 ... iens-movie

concept art Neil released acouple months ago
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:50 pm 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:19 pm
Posts: 8131
Location: 1060 W. Addison St.
dunno whats up with hybrid ripley but i am totally down with everything else. it would just be odd since they're old now and ripley was last left at being a clone.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:18 am 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:01 am
Posts: 8035
Location: Clackamas, OR
Could we please just let this franchise go already? The first two films were awesome, everything else is garbage, and there's too much water under the bridge to try and recapture that magic. Let's take the successes we've got and call it a day.

And I'm sorry, but Neill Blomkamp is fool's gold. Based on his last two films and what we've seen of his third, I think it's safe to say that he'd come up with some brilliant premise for an Alien film only to cock it up with one-dimensional characters and a story that falls to pieces with a single iota of thought. I'm sure it would look gorgeous, though.

_________________
This is truly a madhouse. And I'm the lunatic running it. I've spent three years wondering if I should be proud or ashamed.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:59 pm 
Offline
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:58 am
Posts: 2158
Location: Stockholm
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
I'm sure it would look gorgeous, though.


Isn't that all that matters these days? Flippancy aside, I, too, consider that the franchise has gone on far too long. The amazing first film and it's racy sequel were fine pieces of cinema. The rest suck arse. The prequel – or whatever the hell it was – was even worse. Hard to imagine that the guy responsible for the first gem could spawn such an ugly cock-up. Brrr.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:44 am 
Offline
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:26 pm
Posts: 5380
Location: Knee Deep in the Dead
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Could we please just let this franchise go already? The first two films were awesome, everything else is garbage


Woah bro. Lumping Alien 3 in with that garbage... them's fighting words.

But amazingly, despite the fact my first attempt at screenwriting (at 13 years old) was to write a movie where Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection were simply bad dreams Ripley had while in cryosleep after Aliens... I'm really not on board with this.
Not that I wouldn't be down for Ripley and Hicks returning, but it's the fucking concept art that's throwing me off.
It's a retread blend of Aliens and Alien Resurrection.
We need an Alien sequel, an Alien 3 sequel. Not an Aliens sequel.
Fincher had the right idea back in the day.
You can't follow up Aliens. So you go back to the singular horror of the original.
How have they not learned that after EVERYTHING?
Also, I'm not a huge fan of Blompkamp's movies. Like, District 9 was neat- but not revolutionary or anything.
Elysium sucked, and I hear so does Chappie.

Not to mention that all the concept art seems to have the same bullshit ideas that sunk experimental crap like Resurrection.
Alot of people would say that by bringing Ripley and Hicks back you're tying your hands as to exactly what kind of movie it could be.
I beg to differ. There are so many good stories from the comics you could adapt that would look more interesting right out of the gate.
I dunno.

Edit:

Soupdragon wrote:
The prequel – or whatever the hell it was – was even worse. Hard to imagine that the guy responsible for the first gem could spawn such an ugly cock-up. Brrr.

Yeah, I agree. I don't think it's really fair to judge it as an Alien film, because... well, there wasn't a xenomorph anywhere in it.
(the cheap-ass Deacon thing doesn't count) But even with that aside I think it had terrible momentum, huge lapses in basic logic, and fucking awful supporting characters.

_________________
My Blog of Movie Reviews and Such
Image
I'll be right back. I gotta go see a man about a mule.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:36 pm 
Offline
Genetically-Altered Lynx
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:43 am
Posts: 2860
NiteOwl wrote:
Like, District 9 was neat- but not revolutionary or anything.

Not to mention that all the concept art seems to have the same bullshit ideas that sunk experimental crap like Resurrection.


Please tell me movies that you'd call revolutionary that have come out in the last twenty years? Also, Resurrection experimental? Huh? What?

_________________
My unofficial and offical work-> http://www.youtube.com/movieboyandco


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:54 pm 
Offline
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:26 pm
Posts: 5380
Location: Knee Deep in the Dead
TheMovieDude wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
Like, District 9 was neat- but not revolutionary or anything.

Not to mention that all the concept art seems to have the same bullshit ideas that sunk experimental crap like Resurrection.


Please tell me movies that you'd call revolutionary that have come out in the last twenty years? Also, Resurrection experimental? Huh? What?

Fight Club? The Shawshank Redemption? (21 years but oh well) The Sixth Sense? The Matrix? Titanic? Avatar? Passion of the Christ?

And yes. Resurrection was very experimental. They infused black humor into the movie, and then started mucking about with cloning and hybrids.
I don't mean experimental like IFC indie crap, I mean they deviated from what worked. They tried new shit.
You can't tell me that Xeno suit isn't experimental.
The Newborn was born from the same brand of well intentioned concept art based on a Joss Whedon script and look how that shit turned out.

_________________
My Blog of Movie Reviews and Such
Image
I'll be right back. I gotta go see a man about a mule.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:50 pm 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:19 pm
Posts: 8131
Location: 1060 W. Addison St.
NiteOwl wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
Like, District 9 was neat- but not revolutionary or anything.

Not to mention that all the concept art seems to have the same bullshit ideas that sunk experimental crap like Resurrection.


Please tell me movies that you'd call revolutionary that have come out in the last twenty years? Also, Resurrection experimental? Huh? What?

Fight Club? The Shawshank Redemption? (21 years but oh well) The Sixth Sense? The Matrix? Titanic? Avatar? Passion of the Christ?

And yes. Resurrection was very experimental. They infused black humor into the movie, and then started mucking about with cloning and hybrids.
I don't mean experimental like IFC indie crap, I mean they deviated from what worked. They tried new shit.
You can't tell me that Xeno suit isn't experimental.
The Newborn was born from the same brand of well intentioned concept art based on a Joss Whedon script and look how that shit turned out.


pretty sure that out of all those flicks you listed only the matrix and avatar can be considered "revolutionary" due to the technologies used in their making.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:59 pm 
Offline
Genetically-Altered Lynx
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:43 am
Posts: 2860
WJK wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
Like, District 9 was neat- but not revolutionary or anything.

Not to mention that all the concept art seems to have the same bullshit ideas that sunk experimental crap like Resurrection.


Please tell me movies that you'd call revolutionary that have come out in the last twenty years? Also, Resurrection experimental? Huh? What?

Fight Club? The Shawshank Redemption? (21 years but oh well) The Sixth Sense? The Matrix? Titanic? Avatar? Passion of the Christ?

And yes. Resurrection was very experimental. They infused black humor into the movie, and then started mucking about with cloning and hybrids.
I don't mean experimental like IFC indie crap, I mean they deviated from what worked. They tried new shit.
You can't tell me that Xeno suit isn't experimental.
The Newborn was born from the same brand of well intentioned concept art based on a Joss Whedon script and look how that shit turned out.


pretty sure that out of all those flicks you listed only the matrix and avatar can be considered "revolutionary" due to the technologies used in their making.


I love most of the movies he's mentioning, but I agree with this. My whole point is that you can't really expect a movie to be "revolutionary" or for that to be like a normal high standard of quality. It's a rarity because otherwise, they wouldn't be revolutionary.

_________________
My unofficial and offical work-> http://www.youtube.com/movieboyandco


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:18 pm 
Offline
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:26 pm
Posts: 5380
Location: Knee Deep in the Dead
Neither of you get the point I was making, in casual conversation I've had with most people I know who're excited about this movie, they all cite District 9 like Blomkamp is god and that movie was the most amazing film of the current century. I've never seen so much blind adoration for this movie before and it's getting on my nerves because it's only just good. An argument could be made for very good, but in no way does it solely and completely qualify him to make an alien movie.

_________________
My Blog of Movie Reviews and Such
Image
I'll be right back. I gotta go see a man about a mule.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:33 pm 
Offline
Genetically-Altered Lynx
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:43 am
Posts: 2860
NiteOwl wrote:
Neither of you get the point I was making, in casual conversation I've had with most people I know who're excited about this movie, they all cite District 9 like Blomkamp is god and that movie was the most amazing film of the current century. I've never seen so much blind adoration for this movie before and it's getting on my nerves because it's only just good. An argument could be made for very good, but in no way does it solely and completely qualify him to make an alien movie.


We got it but you lost it.

_________________
My unofficial and offical work-> http://www.youtube.com/movieboyandco


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:54 pm 
Offline
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:26 pm
Posts: 5380
Location: Knee Deep in the Dead
TheMovieDude wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
Neither of you get the point I was making, in casual conversation I've had with most people I know who're excited about this movie, they all cite District 9 like Blomkamp is god and that movie was the most amazing film of the current century. I've never seen so much blind adoration for this movie before and it's getting on my nerves because it's only just good. An argument could be made for very good, but in no way does it solely and completely qualify him to make an alien movie.


We got it but you lost it.

Well you guys didn't even address my main point. So whatever.

_________________
My Blog of Movie Reviews and Such
Image
I'll be right back. I gotta go see a man about a mule.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:30 pm 
Offline
Genetically-Altered Lynx
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:43 am
Posts: 2860
NiteOwl wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
Neither of you get the point I was making, in casual conversation I've had with most people I know who're excited about this movie, they all cite District 9 like Blomkamp is god and that movie was the most amazing film of the current century. I've never seen so much blind adoration for this movie before and it's getting on my nerves because it's only just good. An argument could be made for very good, but in no way does it solely and completely qualify him to make an alien movie.


We got it but you lost it.

Well you guys didn't even address my main point. So whatever.


It wasn't worth addressing. :P

_________________
My unofficial and offical work-> http://www.youtube.com/movieboyandco


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:12 pm 
Offline
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:26 pm
Posts: 5380
Location: Knee Deep in the Dead
TheMovieDude wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
Neither of you get the point I was making, in casual conversation I've had with most people I know who're excited about this movie, they all cite District 9 like Blomkamp is god and that movie was the most amazing film of the current century. I've never seen so much blind adoration for this movie before and it's getting on my nerves because it's only just good. An argument could be made for very good, but in no way does it solely and completely qualify him to make an alien movie.


We got it but you lost it.

Well you guys didn't even address my main point. So whatever.


It wasn't worth addressing. :P

Now you're just being a dick, no joke.

_________________
My Blog of Movie Reviews and Such
Image
I'll be right back. I gotta go see a man about a mule.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:09 am 
Offline
Genetically-Altered Lynx
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:43 am
Posts: 2860
NiteOwl wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
Neither of you get the point I was making, in casual conversation I've had with most people I know who're excited about this movie, they all cite District 9 like Blomkamp is god and that movie was the most amazing film of the current century. I've never seen so much blind adoration for this movie before and it's getting on my nerves because it's only just good. An argument could be made for very good, but in no way does it solely and completely qualify him to make an alien movie.


We got it but you lost it.

Well you guys didn't even address my main point. So whatever.


It wasn't worth addressing. :P

Now you're just being a dick, no joke.


Yes, yes I am.

Bottom line, I love "District 9" but I can only go on word of mouth of what people have talked about his other two movies. I still want to see "Elysium", but "Chappie" just sounds downright uninteresting to me. So, I can't honestly say what's wrong with him as a filmmaker when I can only comment on his first movie, a movie I love. And I don't think this movie is necessary; If there has to be another movie in that universe, I'd rather have new characters and explore another aspect of it. Or just make a sequel to "Resurrection" if you have to. All in all, I don't think this movie should exist, but if it has to, it better be good. Blomkamp has the right sensibilities (per District 9) as a filmmaker and seems he has emphasized the wrong things since then. Again SEEMS, I don't know, I'm only going by what other people have told me and that doesn't hold much stock to me. I'm hoping he brings his A game to this, as does everyone else.

Anyway, again, I should probably shut up when I've only seen one of his movies. But I have a theory of where Blomkamp went wrong, and it has to do with what Curi has said of him: He's fool's gold. Therefore, he was Elvis' favorite food and Elvis ate him. What remains of him are the worst sides of him as a filmmaker.

_________________
My unofficial and offical work-> http://www.youtube.com/movieboyandco


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:40 am 
Offline
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:26 pm
Posts: 5380
Location: Knee Deep in the Dead
Yeah, shit man. You brushed me off and went full dick because you've only seen District 9 and not his other movies? Jesus.
Maybe it wasn't that my point wasn't worth addressing, it's that you just couldn't and decided to be a prick about it instead.
You should check your attitude at the door next time.

_________________
My Blog of Movie Reviews and Such
Image
I'll be right back. I gotta go see a man about a mule.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:20 am 
Offline
Genetically-Altered Lynx
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:43 am
Posts: 2860
NiteOwl wrote:
Yeah, shit man. You brushed me off and went full dick because you've only seen District 9 and not his other movies? Jesus.
Maybe it wasn't that my point wasn't worth addressing, it's that you just couldn't and decided to be a prick about it instead.
You should check your attitude at the door next time.


Settle down.
I only took issue with you using "revolutionary" as an adjective. It was still part of your point.

_________________
My unofficial and offical work-> http://www.youtube.com/movieboyandco


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:13 pm 
Offline
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:26 pm
Posts: 5380
Location: Knee Deep in the Dead
TheMovieDude wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
Yeah, shit man. You brushed me off and went full dick because you've only seen District 9 and not his other movies? Jesus.
Maybe it wasn't that my point wasn't worth addressing, it's that you just couldn't and decided to be a prick about it instead.
You should check your attitude at the door next time.


Settle down.
I only took issue with you using "revolutionary" as an adjective. It was still part of your point.

Fuck off.
Getting hyper is no worse than being a dick just cause you didn't like a fucking adjective I used.
What an amazing thing to turn into a prick about. My use of a friggin adjective.
That's some petty ass bullshit Oscar.

_________________
My Blog of Movie Reviews and Such
Image
I'll be right back. I gotta go see a man about a mule.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:24 pm 
Offline
Genetically-Altered Lynx
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:43 am
Posts: 2860
NiteOwl wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
Yeah, shit man. You brushed me off and went full dick because you've only seen District 9 and not his other movies? Jesus.
Maybe it wasn't that my point wasn't worth addressing, it's that you just couldn't and decided to be a prick about it instead.
You should check your attitude at the door next time.


Settle down.
I only took issue with you using "revolutionary" as an adjective. It was still part of your point.

Fuck off.
Getting hyper is no worse than being a dick just cause you didn't like a fucking adjective I used.
What an amazing thing to turn into a prick about. My use of a friggin adjective.
That's some petty ass bullshit Oscar.


Right back at ya.

_________________
My unofficial and offical work-> http://www.youtube.com/movieboyandco


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:24 am 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:01 am
Posts: 8035
Location: Clackamas, OR
Let's take a step back here.

If I'm reading the last few posts right, it seems like we're in agreement that Blomkamp is an overrated filmmaker who hasn't lived up to the potential seen in District 9. Even someone who hasn't seen Chappie or Elysium could probably guess as much, given the advertisements and receptions for both films.

We also appear to be in agreement that if another Alien film is ever to be made, it had better be damn good. I'd add that given Ridley Scott's recent additions to the Alien mythos, we should all at least be glad that he probably won't be involved to any significant degree.

If I'm correctly understanding the nature of our argument (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong), it seems that we disagree on whether Alien3 and Resurrection should be considered as canon, whether they should even be considered as good films, or whether they should be wiped off the map entirely. For my two cents, I think that both films were borne from a desire to create a "proper" ending for the Alien series. I've yet to hear from a single person who thinks that either film succeeded in that regard. And so much time has passed since the last film that any future attempt at reviving or concluding the series without a full-on reboot (God forbid) is not likely to yield a good film.

For me, this occupies the same place that Ghostbusters 3 did before the reboot. The notion of another Aliens movie is fueled entirely by nostalgia, blind to the fact that sequels made decades after the previous entry never work out. We got two great movies and they will always be great. If you like the other two films, keep them. If you hate them, leave them. Either way, it's probably best if we cut our losses and call it a day.

Oh, and a final note regarding Blomkamp: Yes, his little fan art looks impressive, but he never had a problem crafting gorgeous visuals. Based on his track record, I'd be more worried about his ability to structure those visual ideas around a coherent story.

_________________
This is truly a madhouse. And I'm the lunatic running it. I've spent three years wondering if I should be proud or ashamed.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.113s | 13 Queries | GZIP : Off ]