WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:52 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I'm not in agreement about him being "overrated", because I don't like to use that word and given that two of his three films have been mauled by audiences and critics, I don't think it'd be accurate to call him "overrated." Keep in mind that prior to "Chappie", many were thinking that maybe "Elysium" would just be the sophmore slump and he'd recover, and the reception to "Chappie" is new, given that it's uh, new. And yes, I could only guess, but I can't have an opinion only based on what other people have told me, otherwise it wouldn't be my opinion. Everything else is spot on. I actually find nostalgia to be a weird thing for this particular series. Something about it doesn't seem to lend itself well to it. Keep in mind, it may just be my perspective because my first Alien movie was "Resurrection" when it came out, I didn't see the others until I was in my teens, and I loved them (well not Alien 3) , but I feel it was a series that was pretty much finished after "Aliens." I dunno how to explain it properly. Again, maybe because I didn't attach myself to these movies until I was well into my teens, nostalgia for these movies doesn't quite make sense to me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:57 am 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Let's take a step back here.

If I'm reading the last few posts right, it seems like we're in agreement that Blomkamp is an overrated filmmaker who hasn't lived up to the potential seen in District 9. Even someone who hasn't seen Chappie or Elysium could probably guess as much, given the advertisements and receptions for both films.

We also appear to be in agreement that if another Alien film is ever to be made, it had better be damn good. I'd add that given Ridley Scott's recent additions to the Alien mythos, we should all at least be glad that he probably won't be involved to any significant degree.

If I'm correctly understanding the nature of our argument (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong), it seems that we disagree on whether Alien3 and Resurrection should be considered as canon, whether they should even be considered as good films, or whether they should be wiped off the map entirely. For my two cents, I think that both films were borne from a desire to create a "proper" ending for the Alien series. I've yet to hear from a single person who thinks that either film succeeded in that regard. And so much time has passed since the last film that any future attempt at reviving or concluding the series without a full-on reboot (God forbid) is not likely to yield a good film.

For me, this occupies the same place that Ghostbusters 3 did before the reboot. The notion of another Aliens movie is fueled entirely by nostalgia, blind to the fact that sequels made decades after the previous entry never work out. We got two great movies and they will always be great. If you like the other two films, keep them. If you hate them, leave them. Either way, it's probably best if we cut our losses and call it a day.

Oh, and a final note regarding Blomkamp: Yes, his little fan art looks impressive, but he never had a problem crafting gorgeous visuals. Based on his track record, I'd be more worried about his ability to structure those visual ideas around a coherent story.

Yes, this.
Except, I do feel Alien 3 was a perfect end to the series.
I know Kori does as well, and several of my friends who don't post here.
I could go out of my way to explain why, but that's moot. The fact of the matter is, Alien 5 is going to ignore 3 and Resurrection.
I'm obviously only 50% okay with that.

I'm really divided on this movie. Part of me is incredibly excited that Ripley and Hicks are going to be back, and I'm going to get to see it on the big screen.
The other part of me realizes this is being made by Blomkamp and that doesn't instill an ounce of confidence in me. The prospect of fucking with the established canon to do what's probably shaping up to be the most expensive retcon in cinematic history is already precarious enough, but to have it helmed by the guy who's only made one out of three movies that was received well is just... scary. Not to mention this guy has never made a horror movie, so you just know they're going the space-combat route with Alien 5 again.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:04 pm 
Tired of Earth.

here's the thing with blomkamp

district 9 was a sleeper hit. it had great undertones and addressed them well, given its sci-fi setting and all. elysium was great on the visuals, average on the story (enjoyable for me), but still financially successful. i haven't seen chappie so i can't comment on it yet, but given that blomkamp himself addressed that there were problems with elysium's story just before chappie's release, he certainly seems ready to make sure that alien doesn't end up having problems. if anything, this film will end up being treated the same as resurrection, just a long fan-fic film. as far as most alien fans are concerned, the trilogy is all that matters in terms of canon, just the same as how a lot of star wars fans are still considering parts of the old EU canon and basically disregarding the disney continuity altogether.

also if blomkamp is smart he'll hire jon spaihts or dan o'bannon to help write it. now before you go "wtf m8" on why i said spaihts, keep in mind that his original screenplays were the two alien prequels before they were merged and raped by damon lindelof into prometheus.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:26 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

"Elysium" didn't make its money back in the US, but it did if you count worldwide gross. So I guess in a way it was financially successful. I just realized that the movie itself didn't do badly with critics, it has a much lower score on Rotten Tomatoes compared to "District 9", but much higher than I thought. "Chappie" isn't doing that well in any way, although I wouldn't be surprised if that one makes its money back, since it didn't cost as much as "Elysium." Also, Jon Spaiths IS a good writer. I'm excited for "Passengers", if they actually and finally make it and follow the script, it could be a pretty amazing sci-fi flick.