WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 628 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Star Trek
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:58 pm 
Tired of Earth.

As some of you may know, there's a Star Trek trailer debuting beside the Watchmen trailer this Friday. This is a big deal for those who have been following the Star Trek movie. J.J. Abrams is notorious for keeping a confidential set and his latest movie has been no different. This trailer marks the first time that we actually get to see the movie in action, and detailed set photos have only been released over the past month or so. The veil of secrecy is clearly lifting, so I thought this would be a good time to open up a thread for discussion.

Let's start with this, the first-ever look at J.J. Abrams' take of what I consider to be the cornerstone of all things Trek. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the NCC-1701 itself, The Enterprise!

Additional photos can be found in a gallery here.

Discuss!

Post subject: Re: Star Trek
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:03 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

I'm not a Star Trek fan, but my dad is, and he was very pleased to hear that the footage that was screened the other day was very well received.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:17 am 
The Watcher

The ship looks great. Apparently it was the only thing Paramount told Abrams he couldn't change.

Speaking of which, Abrams has torn up, eaten, shit out, eaten again and vomited up all established Star Trek Canon. So, if you're a Trek fan, be prepared to fucking sideswiped worse than a red shirt on a dangerous away team mission.

I'm a huge Trek fan, more than Watchmen, so this really annoys me. But Being 37, I, and any other Trekkies that grew up in the show, subsequent movies, TNG, DS9 and VOY are not in the demographic that Paramount gives a shit about anymore.

So they decided it was time to give Gene Roddenberry's dead body an enema by simultaneously rebooting the franchise while destroying it at the same time.

From what I hear, the film is pretty much Star Trek babies, taking the original cast and making them all buddies. Makes no sense at all. Chekov was a 22 year old ensign when Kirk was a 34 year old captain. Now, they're the same age.

I read a description of the footage they previewed to the press and it read like a complete joke. Seriously, like someone who had a vague understanding of Star Trek wrote the script. And by vague, I mean like someone who saw some Trek movie DVD covers at Blockbuster and then figured he was qualified to write the screenplay.

Beam me the fuck away from this turd.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:58 am 
Tired of Earth.

With respect, DD, I personally think that Star Trek had gone stale.

The TV series had done so much that they had to go back to a time before TOS, when the technology was still new and there were still aliens to meet. And that series crashed after a couple of seasons. The movies, also, had been run into the ground. Rick Berman has guarded the Star Trek legacy for a long time -- perhaps too long. He's gone now, and I'm glad to have some new blood take over the franchise.

I'm willing to see what Abrams and co. can do. The trailer's coming out in a few days and I look forward to your opinion on some actual footage and dialogue.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:35 am 

DoomsdayClock wrote:
I'm a huge Trek fan, more than Watchmen

:shock: ....because Star Trek is more intellectual. It's not a damn comic, it has tribbles! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:09 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Quote:
"The coolest thing about it—maybe the coolest thing in the movie—was when you flew around the ship, you could see all the different panels that made up the ship," says the director of the forthcoming Trek reboot, slated for a May 8, 2009 release. "It was the first time I had ever seen that level of attention, that love of detail, given to the tangible, practical reality of the ship."

That was a great hair-raising moment for me too. I was always a bit of a fan of the original run of Star Trek. The series was advertised in the weekly TV mag for the week after we were to head back to England after living in Australia. Happily, the Beeb showed the series soon enough after our return. The Aussies seemed to love their scifi! The TV networks showed masses of it. God bless the 60's!

I saw the first few movies and since then have seen about 15 mins tops of anything from the subsequent variants of the Star Trek mythos.

Call me an old stick-in-the-mud.

So this new film is for me! Most certainly. I'm thrilled that they have a heavy 60's thing going on in the new movie. I'll be in tears before the titles stop rolling! :shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:41 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

i read somewhere that abrams was always more of a star wars fan than star trek. i'll see if i can find the article.

EDIT: found http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a132 ... -wars.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:22 am 

Hehe and he wasn't aware of the number of Trek movies...
:D :D
But surely you must recognise that the franchise needs a kick up the bum and a fresh start, not a carbon copy of the rest...
For rebooting a sci-fi product, Abrams is far from a bad choice and he might well make Star Trek popular with teenagers again.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:27 am 
The Watcher

AYBGerrardo wrote:
Hehe and he wasn't aware of the number of Trek movies...
:D :D
But surely you must recognise that the franchise needs a kick up the bum and a fresh start, not a carbon copy of the rest...
For rebooting a sci-fi product, Abrams is far from a bad choice and he might well make Star Trek popular with teenagers again.

No, he'll make something with the name "Star Trek" popular with the kids again. I won't be Star Trek.

Pick another franchise you love, like Star Wars, flash forward 30 years to a "reboot" where Han, Leia, Luke, all go to high school together and have sex with each other and kick a lot of ass. Sounds awesome, no? Well, at least new younger fans will be introduced to Star Wars, right?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:31 am 

DoomsdayClock wrote:
Pick another franchise you love, like Star Wars, flash forward 30 years to a "reboot" where Han, Leia, Luke, all go to high school together and have sex with each other and kick a lot of ass. Sounds awesome, no?

Yeah!! That would've been so much better than the prequels ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:53 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

From what I've read, it has a good script. At least I seem to recall Vynson saying it was good.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:59 am 
The Watcher

Apparently the new trailer shows 20-something Kirk and Spock getting into a knife fight and Uhura taking her top off.

Yeah, sounds like a great script.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:31 pm 
I DID IT!

I was a TNG addict as a kid but never really got into the original series, though I was familiar with it.

Honestly Star Trek isn't one of my sacred cows, so I'm not averse to the new movie. I initially wasn't interested in it, though--until I heard Simon Pegg is playing Scotty. The second I heard about that, I was like, "Okay, I'm going to see this movie."

"Under no circumstances should anyone encourage the ordinary person to be funny."
--Bob Mackey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:19 pm 
Gazing into the abyss.

Don't know about you guys, but I really want to see Simon Pegg on this movie. I love his work (specially Spaced and Shaun of the Dead).

English not very good. Forgive me.

http://www.ghondar.blogspot.com
Because people on the internet think that I'm somewhat funny.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:02 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

I refuse to see this movie. There has been nothing good that comes out of it, look at the tech, look at the ENTERPRISE!!! they have changed it to be more advanced, I want all the aliens entities to be green sparkely blobs floating around! :cry: The actos upset me, and what really grinds my gears is the fact that they are pissing all over Canon. Star Trek has been around for 40+ years, it has been established as one of the sacred franchises

picture a Star Wars Reboot (sorry for using the same franchise to prove a point DDC) where Han and Luke were brothers who tour the galaxy and fight crime while being in a rock band. Although it sounds cool, that's not and, I pray to God, never will be Star Wars. Star Trek may need to be revitalized, but it doesn't need to be rebooted.

Kirk 40 years later is still cool and a sci-fi Icon, why change that? Kirk was on the Farragut before the Enterprise, now they are trying to make it seem like the episode "Obsession" has no basis, if they are just out of the academy and Kirk is on the Enterprise, what about April? What about Pike? If they aren't the capitans first, we lose "The Cage" and "The Menagerie parts I and II", you can't just change Characters and Plot lines that have changed Sci-Fi and T.V. in general for the better. Look at DS9, only a little like TOS, but still an amazing show, because it keeps the themes and (huge) story arcs of TOS. It doesn't try and change Star Trek, just show another side to it.

Enterprise didn't fail because it tried to show what happened before Kirk, it failed (epicly) because of poor writing and changing the story lines, which I'm afraid this movie will do. Star Trek may become cool, people may go around flashing the Vulcan Salute, but will it be worth it? It'll be cool to say I was a fan before it was cool, but in the end... in the final analysis, will losing what makes Star Trek great be worth it getting the popularity it deserves? If Hollywood views it as okay to reboot things that have survived for 40 years with out one, God help us all for what may come... expect a Godfather reboot in 2013, a GoodFellas reinvisioning in 2014, who knows where it'll end...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:32 pm 
The Watcher

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
I refuse to see this movie. There has been nothing good that comes out of it, look at the tech, look at the ENTERPRISE!!! they have changed it to be more advanced, I want all the aliens entities to be green sparkely blobs floating around! :cry: The actos upset me, and what really grinds my gears is the fact that they are pissing all over Canon. Star Trek has been around for 40+ years, it has been established as one of the sacred franchises

picture a Star Wars Reboot (sorry for using the same franchise to prove a point DDC) where Han and Luke were brothers who tour the galaxy and fight crime while being in a rock band. Although it sounds cool, that's not and, I pray to God, never will be Star Wars. Star Trek may need to be revitalized, but it doesn't need to be rebooted.

Kirk 40 years later is still cool and a sci-fi Icon, why change that? Kirk was on the Farragut before the Enterprise, now they are trying to make it seem like the episode "Obsession" has no basis, if they are just out of the academy and Kirk is on the Enterprise, what about April? What about Pike? If they aren't the capitans first, we lose "The Cage" and "The Menagerie parts I and II", you can't just change Characters and Plot lines that have changed Sci-Fi and T.V. in general for the better. Look at DS9, only a little like TOS, but still an amazing show, because it keeps the themes and (huge) story arcs of TOS. It doesn't try and change Star Trek, just show another side to it.

Enterprise didn't fail because it tried to show what happened before Kirk, it failed (epicly) because of poor writing and changing the story lines, which I'm afraid this movie will do. Star Trek may become cool, people may go around flashing the Vulcan Salute, but will it be worth it? It'll be cool to say I was a fan before it was cool, but in the end... in the final analysis, will losing what makes Star Trek great be worth it getting the popularity it deserves? If Hollywood views it as okay to reboot things that have survived for 40 years with out one, God help us all for what may come... expect a Godfather reboot in 2013, a GoodFellas reinvisioning in 2014, who knows where it'll end...

Quoted for TRUTH!. Your stock is rising, number 2.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:49 pm 
A brother to dragons.

He's just building you up to tear you back down, Brooklyn.

Isn't there some sort of time travel shenanigans with split parallel universes involved with this Abrams thing? Like, one storyline doesn't negate the other because they co-exist peacefully?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:23 am 
The Watcher

Broken Finger wrote:
He's just building you up to tear you back down, Brooklyn.

Isn't there some sort of time travel shenanigans with split parallel universes involved with this Abrams thing? Like, one storyline doesn't negate the other because they co-exist peacefully?

Or maybe at the end it will really be Jean Luc Picard's nightmare after eating some bad clams.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:27 am 
Tired of Earth.

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Enterprise didn't fail because it tried to show what happened before Kirk, it failed (epicly) because of poor writing and changing the story lines.

I agree with that statement completely. The point I was trying to make was that Berman had taken the reins for too long and the series had grown stagnant under his supervision.

You say that the series had to be revitalized without being rebooted. I know I'm disgracing my ancestors by asking this, but I must: How? Where else is there to go? What else is there to do?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:02 am 
The Watcher

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
You say that the series had to be revitalized without being rebooted. I know I'm disgracing my ancestors by asking this, but I must: How? Where else is there to go? What else is there to do?

Easy. Recast Kirk and crew just like they did... but stay true to canon. Why throw out 40 years of canon? Just so some director can do Star Trek "his way." If he wanted to do that, he should come up with a new idea and not spew diarrhea on an established franchise.

They rebooted Bond in this manner. They started over in the timeline, but he's still Bond. All the character traits are still there. How would your Brits feel if after the reboot, the made him Jamie Bond female CIA agent. Piss you off a bit I'd think.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 628 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next