WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Star Trek
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:51 pm 
The Watcher

NiteOwl wrote:
Remind me how you know the pressure of being a public figure, a filmmaker, and having a massive franchise on your shoulders.

Remind me how you do? I'm sure there is lots of pressure. Not the point I'm making.

NiteOwl wrote:
There's nothing to apologize over for Watchmen. Why do you keep bringing up Snyder?

Just an example. Snyder is mocked by many as over-using slo-mo. If he came out and said that we're all right in saying that and he was wrong to do so, I'd lose some respect for him as a filmmaker. Sure everyone makes mistakes, but I think as a filmmaker you own them and evolve - not come out and say it. Again, an opinion, not saying you should all agree.

NiteOwl wrote:
Lucas DID backpedal with Jar Jar. Just way later. He said in an interview "Jar Jar wasn't the best of ideas, in fact a lot of my ideas (with TPM specifically) should've been second guessed. I would do it a little differently if given the chance."

Please link me to that article. I'd love to see Lucas eat some shit by his own words. Knowing he said that - loss of respect (if there was any left) for him. It's his franchise. Own the choice. Saying Jar Jar was a mistake makes him look like a putz who doesn't know his own franchise (which he kinda is).

NiteOwl wrote:
I think you need to stop with the 'amateur' junk, and realize directors and writers do this all the time.

Sure. But I think there's a difference between a director admitting the film wasn't as good as it could've been due to a casting mistake, a studio's input, a script that didn't seem so bad at the time and, "I don't know how to control myself with lens flare."

NiteOwl wrote:
Abrams has done something very admirable, being a director has shit to do with it.
As an artist, sometimes I don't get a pose right, or I mess up something.
When my watchers are TELLING me this, I don't stick by the mistake. I accept the criticism, thank them, admit I did it, and then I fucking fix it.
Being a director doesn't place him above reproach. And acting like his style is infallible and godly would've been awful.
Someone once told me that my lines are too jagged and messy. I often keep that in mind when I draw.
I said "Yeah, they are. It's how I cover up some stuff, and it's easier for me. I also often use it to stylistic effect." but I also acknowledged, it may simply look shitty.
So instead of saying "Yeah no. This is how I do things."
I keep his criticisms in mind when I draw, and I often make an extra effort to clean up my lines.
I don't see any difference between that and what Abrams is doing.

I don't disagree with your logic here, I just see this specific situation a little different. To me, knowing how to properly use lens flare should be a film school 101 thing. If he admits he can't control his use of lens flare, what the fuck else does have no clue about. Just rubs me the wrong way.

NiteOwl wrote:
What does any of this have to do with affleck? He hasn't actually done anything for the fans to critique yet.

Maybe a bad example, I'm just saying if he came out to the press cursing how fans are idiots and he'd make an awesome Batman and they should all shut up, then closed his Twitter account... A) I'd lose respect for him and B) Be terrified at how such a tool is likely to fuck up the role of Batman.

NiteOwl wrote:
Abrams is showing conviction. He's also being honest and admitting his mistakes. This has alot to do with Star Trek because it's something you're hella sensitive over.

Fair point. Maybe a bit. But I don't think overuse of lens flare ruined the movie. Yes, if I thought the movie was awesome I don't think I would have reacted so strongly over it.

NiteOwl wrote:
Would you bash Clooney for saying Batman & Robin was shit, and that he could've actually done better to boot?

Ultimately he wasn't in control over the overall film, so I wouldn't bash him here.

NiteOwl wrote:
Would you bash Shia LeBeouf for saying Kingdom of the Crystal Skull wasn't as good as it should've been?

Again, he's a pawn in the process, so no.

NiteOwl wrote:
Would you bash Michael Bay for admitting Transformers 2 was a fucking mess?

Yes. It was his fucking movie. He made it. If it was a mess, he fucked it up. Just make the next one better, or stop making Transformers movies. Don't come out and say it was shit. People paid good money to see it, and to have the director say what he did "was a mess" is undermining in my opinion.

NiteOwl wrote:
As consumers and as an audience we want to know that our complaints are not in vain. That they will listen, and ACKNOWLEDGE and try to do better next time.
Abrams is acknowledging that his predilection for lens flares may be doing more harm than good. In an age where social media gives us instant insight into new and developing movies, we no longer have to wait until the release date of any movie to find out for ourselves whether or not the director is learning from what fans are saying. There's a bigger dialog between consumers and producers, now more than ever. Being unnecessarily distant, and sticking to your guns on something like this instead of being honest with your fans and your general audience is more douchey than not.

i.e. what Orci did.

I don't think there's any need to remain 'steadfast' by mistakes. That's just fucking stupid.

I agree with you. What I'm saying is, you make the next movie and in the interview you say, "we listened to the fans and gave them the film we thought they wanted." No need to say, "oh, shit, we really took a dump on that last movie, but this one...yeah, this one is awesome." Again, makes me lose respect.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:59 pm 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

See. I understand what you're saying. However, I couldn't agree with you in a million years.
It has nothing to do with using lens flare properly. Why? Because it's a stylistic thing. Technically his execution is fine.
He's also not apologizing for not using them right, he's apologizing for overusing them.
Big difference. One indicates an excess of personal style, the other indicates a lack of knowledge.
You seem hellbent on saying he's admitted to not knowing what he's doing, which is not at all what happened.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:04 pm 
The Watcher

NiteOwl wrote:
See. I understand what you're saying. However, I couldn't agree with you in a million years.
It has nothing to do with using lens flare properly. Why? Because it's a stylistic thing. Technically his execution is fine.
He's also not apologizing for not using them right, he's apologizing for overusing them.
Big difference. One indicates an excess of personal style, the other indicates a lack of knowledge.
You seem hellbent on saying he's admitted to not knowing what he's doing, which is not at all what happened.

Okay, semantics is a bitch. Yes, he "technically" knows how to "make" a lens flare. By overusing them he shows a lack in understanding why they are used and for what effect. He thinks they look cool, he uses them, ends up overusing them. To me, knowing how much is too much, should be learned in film school. Again, if that's his personal style - fucking OWN IT. He doesn't. He says, "yeah, I used too much, heh heh, guess I'll stop doing that. Thanks non-film school/industry general public for telling me what I should already fucking know." Am.. a... teur.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:31 pm 

DoomsdayClock wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:

Okay, semantics is a bitch. Yes, he "technically" knows how to "make" a lens flare. By overusing them he shows a lack in understanding why they are used and for what effect. He thinks they look cool, he uses them, ends up overusing them. To me, knowing how much is too much, should be learned in film school. Again, if that's his personal style - fucking OWN IT. He doesn't. He says, "yeah, I used too much, heh heh, guess I'll stop doing that. Thanks non-film school/industry general public for telling me what I should already fucking know." Am.. a... teur.

Still disagree. I think you're seeing it wrong.
I'm not the only one who thinks Abrams did the right thing either.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:33 pm 
The Watcher

NiteOwl wrote:
Still disagree. I think you're seeing it wrong.
I'm not the only one who thinks Abrams did the right thing either.

I know. I'm sure I'm the minority here, and I'm not trying to convince anyone they should change their opinion. Just how this hits me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:54 am 
The Watcher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:40 am 
Drinking a toast to absent friends.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:49 am 

madvillain wrote:

qft

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:56 am 
The Watcher

So sensitive! I just saw that on Cracked and thought it was funny! Sheesh.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:34 pm 
Tired of Earth.

To be fair, I don't know if the third movie has a director lined up yet. It's kind of hard to move on to a new punching bag when we don't know who the next one will be.

Of course, it's pretty well confirmed that Orci and Kurtzman will still be on board, but those two are so bland that they aren't nearly as much fun to joke about.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:56 pm 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

madvillain wrote:

The poor bastard has been turned into pulp by now...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:28 am 
Tired of Earth.

Please let this work. Please, please, please let this be true.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:25 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Please let this work. Please, please, please let this be true.

As the Bitter Script Reader said: Let the hacks end their lens flare jokes and start working on their indecipherable accent jokes.

Post subject: Cornish Patsy
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:19 pm 
New Frontiersman

I'd rather they gave the gig to his partner in comedy, Adam Buxton!

Post subject: Re: Cornish Patsy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:26 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:

Hell yes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:47 pm 
The Watcher

Don't "dead horse" me. This is a new story that I saw on my Facebook feed today. I present it to you without comment. What do you all think?

http://io9.com/j-j-abrams-admits-lying-about-star-trek-2s-khan-was-a-1475078061

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:31 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Better late than never, I say.

It seems to me that Abrams is really turning a corner in his career. I find it fascinating how he's been looking back lately, addressing so many complaints with a mea culpa.

Strange how he's doing this while preparing for the biggest project in his career. That can't be a coincidence.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:10 pm 
Tired of Earth.

DoomsdayClock wrote:
Don't "dead horse" me. This is a new story that I saw on my Facebook feed today. I present it to you without comment. What do you all think?

http://io9.com/j-j-abrams-admits-lying-about-star-trek-2s-khan-was-a-1475078061

should have done what all the old star wars cast members are doing when asked about episode 7.

keeping their mouths shut.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:39 pm 

and now, a non Abrams related post...

I've actually taken to watching Deep Space 9 for the first time.
I started about a month ago, and I'm on season 3 now.
It's certainly an interesting show and I really like it. I can't say I like it more than TNG or VOY, but it's really growing on me, big time.
I can see it's definitely a darker show. Very political. It's a little more blunt about the things it talks about.
For example, there was an episode where O'Brien and Bashir get caught up with a village of Bajorans who were visited by an evil cloud manifestation every night, and only a specific holy one could get it to leave.
When in reality, the evil was nothing more than a visual representation of hate and mistrust that once existed between the villagers, and the holy one was simply someone to guide them and allay their fears.
If that's not a jab at organized religion, I dunno what is.

But I like it, it works in general. The writing is getting better as the show goes on. Good stuff.
I'm down to discuss the show thus far with anyone who's seen it before.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:56 am 
The Watcher

NiteOwl wrote:
I'm down to discuss the show thus far with anyone who's seen it before.

It's one of my favorite Trek series. I like it as much as TNG and definitely more than Voyager and ENT.

It's really going to pick up now at season 4. It's going to get very political as the Dominion War gears up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next