WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: The Wire
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:39 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

What do you mean, 'you people'?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:50 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

i can only assume it is a racial slur against "those who are not ghondar" :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:47 pm 
Gazing into the abyss.

AYBGerrardo wrote:
What do you mean, 'you people'?

http://awesomescope.com/wp-content/uplo ... er_man.jpg

English not very good. Forgive me.

http://www.ghondar.blogspot.com
Because people on the internet think that I'm somewhat funny.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:41 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

IT IS FINISHED !

BIG. SPOILERS. AHEAD.

So get the fuck out Oscar !

It doesn't feel particularly "fair" that my personal "Top Five TV Shows Of All Time List" probably has four that are from HBO, truly (until AMC arrived) it was the undisputed best cable network (probably still is) one could ever tune to watch goddamn good television.

And kill me if The Wire wasn't some of the best I've seen.

And so, I got to season five, lots of shenanigans to get here, lots of loose ends that needed to be tied from season four, but it all came together almost perfectly, I'll agree with t3cii that this season simply needed more episodes to tie everything together as neatly as it needed, but really, after hearing David Simon on some interviews about how HBO did it's best to keep the show on in spite of medium-low ratings, you kinda have to assume that those ten episodes were the best they could get, as such, we had a season that, by far, had my favorite "Baltimore Backdrop", that being The Baltimore Sun and the people who worked there.

It was just something about "raw ethics" with everything that happened in The Sun, specially between Gus and Scott, that just made me realize, once again, the degree of corruption that exists in some institutions, one would think something like this is something that could be handled with perfect ease and complete objectivity, but nope, the higher ups kept feeding into what is clearly implied (to me at least) to be a mental disorder, completely disregarding..................everything one shouldn't disregard in something as fragile as news reporting.

Best part ? Seeing Scott getting that Pulitzer.............marry me David Simon, just marry me.

As for the other parts of the season, well shit, I thought for a moment the writers had fucking KILLED Jimmy McNulty to me :lol:, talk about a CRAZY way to get police resources, deffinitely couldn't have come from anyone not named McNulty, I couldn't even blame Kima after ratting on them, it was the right thing to do anyways, I specially felt it was echoing what Carver did back in the West District (was that the one Bunny ran ?) when he also didn't step in front of "Bad Haircut" officer. The fallout to the entire thing, even in a show like this, was quite unexpected to me, I really thought things were going to blow out completely, and yet with a few handshakes and a few noddings of the head, it was all buried away, once again, bravo to Simon and crew.

And of course, I simply cannot forget about this goddamn champion --> http://www.thebaltimoremojo.com/wp-cont ... little.jpg

We love you Omar, you were the goddamn best !

To be honest, I didn't hate that kid as much as many people do, I've always felt terrible him, the beat-up from Michael, getting man-handled by the cops and the drug dealers, and now probably going to "Junior Hell", it really felt depressing to me to see him being dragged away to the cop car. Specially since the big daddy Marlo got to walk away, even though we clearly saw in that end that it's not going to be for long :lol:. That scene was a little sad since it reminded me of Stringer, had he gotten that chance, he could've walked away from the game entirely, unfortunately, that's not the case for everyone.

SO THERE ! I FINISHED IT !

t3cii, bring on the guns :D !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:34 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Wire spoilers

feliciano182 wrote:
we had a season that, by far, had my favorite "Baltimore Backdrop",

Really? It's interesting you should say that. Honestly, I don't remember that much of the newspaper's scenes. I think I prefer the school setting, as far as Baltimore Backdrops are concerned.

feliciano182 wrote:
well shit, I thought for a moment the writers had fucking KILLED Jimmy McNulty to me :lol:,

I don't know if you'll agree, but I think Jimmy's "wake" is the best moment of the entire series. It's such a perfect send off for a character, and I love that's it's this fully realized scene. Like, you believe that they're all just a bunch of cops, and this is a tradition of sorts. As I said in a previous post, it's one of the greatest tributes to a character that I've seen.

feliciano182 wrote:
We love you Omar, you were the goddamn best !

To be honest, I didn't hate that kid as much as many people do,

Want to hear a really cool coincidence?

Remember when, I think it was in season 3, Bunk sees a bunch of kids pretending to be Omar? Like, these two kids are fighting over a stick arguing whose turn it was to play Omar. Well one of those kids was Kenard. The kid who shot Omar. Pretty cool, yeah? I don't think that kid was specifically playing Kenard in that one scene, but it would be neat if it was the case.

feliciano182 wrote:
it really felt depressing to me to see him being dragged away to the cop car. Specially since the big daddy Marlo got to walk away, even though we clearly saw in that end that it's not going to be for long :lol:. That scene was a little sad since it reminded me of Stringer, had he gotten that chance, he could've walked away from the game entirely, unfortunately, that's not the case for everyone.

It didn't depress me at all. Kenard was the most miserable little punk in the series. If the streets of the universe that is The Wire are like a cycle, this kid will grow up to be the next Bird.

Some more thoughts for you to chew on...

- As for Marlo, I loved his final scene. He ends up in a sort of Hell of his own, now that he'd out of the game, but for that one moment, he's himself. He takes a deep breath, and just says "yeah...".

- Most satisfying moment of the series? Slim Charles shoots Cheese.

- Most depressing moment? Dukie ending up a junkie. From him lying to Prez (he's even wearing a shirt with bubbles on it), to his final scenes with Michael, it was just such a bleak future for him.

- Finally, Omar lives on in Michael. Tristan Wilds acting in his final scene almost ruins it, but as Curi said in a review of his awhile back, it was a joyful moment. He's staying alive.

feliciano182 wrote:
It doesn't feel particularly "fair" that my personal "Top Five TV Shows Of All Time List" probably has four that are from HBO, truly (until AMC arrived) it was the undisputed best cable network (probably still is) one could ever tune to watch goddamn good television.

While I don't know if it is a show that comes close to matching The Wire, I'll recommend you check out OZ. I believe OZ was one of the networks first original shows. I haven't watched it in a while, but I do remember it being a crazy series. It's almost like the anti Mad Men, so much would happen in an episode, and there was a huge cast. It was a really violent show, but I'll recommend it since it was a compelling show, and because it has so many faces that will be familiar to you, including a number of Wire alumni. The actor who plays Bodie is more or less playing the same character, Lance Reddick (Daniels) has a fairly substantial role, as does the actors who played Carver, and Cheese.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:06 am 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

I'd almost say that the wire needs its own fucking thread, but seeing as how nobody watches anything else lately! Screw it. -_-

I'll be right back. I gotta go see a man about a mule.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:08 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

NiteOwl wrote:
I'd almost say that the wire needs its own fucking thread, but seeing as how nobody watches anything else lately! Screw it. -_-

Well, about that... viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1562&p=145657

[NOTE: Merged! --"Curiosity Inc."]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:50 pm 

t3cii wrote:
Really? It's interesting you should say that. Honestly, I don't remember that much of the newspaper's scenes. I think I prefer the school setting, as far as Baltimore Backdrops are concerned.

Y U NO LOVE GUS VS SCOTT ?!

Besides man, Breaking Bad, BREAKING BAD IN THE WIRE :lol: !

To be fully honest, it's quite difficult once I think about the School Backdrop as well because the issue it deals with is simply enormous, but there was something about the "battle" between Gus and Scott that touched me, best of all when Gus says to Alma that all he really just wants to do is to go to work every day and "write about something new", it puts a lot of things in perspective.

I was aware that I was probably going to be the only person to like that backdrop so much though :lol:

t3cii wrote:
I don't know if you'll agree, but I think Jimmy's "wake" is the best moment of the entire series. It's such a perfect send off for a character, and I love that's it's this fully realized scene. Like, you believe that they're all just a bunch of cops, and this is a tradition of sorts. As I said in a previous post, it's one of the greatest tributes to a character that I've seen.

It was truly brilliant, I saw those wakes and I usually treated them as "a piece of reality" brought straight from David Simon's experiences, yet somehow, when it was done with Jimmy, it was just awesome to see him laying there in the pool table, smirking like a sly prick and then getting up, no regrets, no hard feelings, just McNulty being goddamn McNulty !

t3cii wrote:
Want to hear a really cool coincidence?

Remember when, I think it was in season 3, Bunk sees a bunch of kids pretending to be Omar? Like, these two kids are fighting over a stick arguing whose turn it was to play Omar. Well one of those kids was Kenard. The kid who shot Omar. Pretty cool, yeah? I don't think that kid was specifically playing Kenard in that one scene, but it would be neat if it was the case.

You told me about that before !

I didn't notice at first, but Omar looked at him before getting shot, truly no one could've gotten the drop on him except for Kenard, which kinda says a lot about just how "adept" at the game he really was, even in his state, which pretty much was "dead man walking" all the way through, you could see he wasn't going to last long just by looking at him limping out there, yelling that he was going to get Marlo, quite sad actually.

t3cii wrote:
It didn't depress me at all. Kenard was the most miserable little punk in the series. If the streets of the universe that is The Wire are like a cycle, this kid will grow up to be the next Bird.

Harsh bro :lol:

I just felt bad that a kid like him never really had a chance, from the moment he was born in the West Side of Baltimore, he was done, he had no chance and no hope at all, and it really isn't something about him and him alone, it isn't just "his story", which is pretty terrifying by itself.

t3cii wrote:
As for Marlo, I loved his final scene. He ends up in a sort of Hell of his own, now that he'd out of the game, but for that one moment, he's himself. He takes a deep breath, and just says "yeah...".

David Simon: "Don't worry guys, Marlo's not going to last long".

That's all I got from that scene :lol: !

t3cii wrote:
Most satisfying moment of the series? Slim Charles shoots Cheese.

Hail To The Slim !

t3cii wrote:
Most depressing moment? Dukie ending up a junkie. From him lying to Prez (he's even wearing a shirt with bubbles on it), to his final scenes with Michael, it was just such a bleak future for him.

Oh well, yeah, that sure was depressing.

It's even worse because he's really really young, and it doesn't seem like anyone could survive something like that just starting at his age, it's pretty horrible really, it makes me think about the sheer tenacity and force of will that Bubbles himself had simply to make it for as long as he did, and to simply have a shred of hope at the end, I really can't even begin to imagine the kind of hell drug addicts must go through.

t3cii wrote:
Finally, Omar lives on in Michael. Tristan Wilds acting in his final scene almost ruins it, but as Curi said in a review of his awhile back, it was a joyful moment. He's staying alive.

CURI ? Curiosity Inc. ?!!

*Glares at Curi*

t3cii wrote:
While I don't know if it is a show that comes close to matching The Wire, I'll recommend you check out OZ. I believe OZ was one of the networks first original shows. I haven't watched it in a while, but I do remember it being a crazy series. It's almost like the anti Mad Men, so much would happen in an episode, and there was a huge cast. It was a really violent show, but I'll recommend it since it was a compelling show, and because it has so many faces that will be familiar to you, including a number of Wire alumni. The actor who plays Bodie is more or less playing the same character, Lance Reddick (Daniels) has a fairly substantial role, as does the actors who played Carver, and Cheese.

I remember I saw one episode of Oz, and I fucking loved it :lol:

I clearly remember it was about this guy called Dino Ortolani who got 15 years for murder, and he was a REAL BITTER dude, he was somehow so frustrated with everything in his life that he verbally smashed, and defiantly so, ANYONE who tried to buy him with loyalty, he was a fucking badass, and he went out like one !

That was the only episode I saw, somehow I told myself to see it completely, but time passed and I never got to it, maybe the time is right now !

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:27 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

feliciano182 wrote:
Y U NO LOVE GUS VS SCOTT ?!

I just found the newspaper angle to be less than compelling. I actually like Gus, but as with most of the season, this was something that could have been better developed.

feliciano182 wrote:
I just felt bad that a kid like him never really had a chance, from the moment he was born in the West Side of Baltimore, he was done, he had no chance and no hope at all, and it really isn't something about him and him alone, it isn't just "his story", which is pretty terrifying by itself.

I don't know. Before he went off to kill Omar (for no real reason) he was about to torture a cat. I think some people are born psychopaths no matter where they're born.

feliciano182 wrote:
It's even worse because he's really really young, and it doesn't seem like anyone could survive something like that just starting at his age, it's pretty horrible really, it makes me think about the sheer tenacity and force of will that Bubbles himself had simply to make it for as long as he did, and to simply have a shred of hope at the end, I really can't even begin to imagine the kind of hell drug addicts must go through.

And it's not just that he's a drug addict, it's that he has no options left. He doesn't want to go to a group home, but he's too young to get a job. So where does that leave him? It's just depressing to think your whole life could be over before you're even 15.

feliciano182 wrote:
CURI ? Curiosity Inc. ?!!

*Glares at Curi*

Check the Wire thread. Curi has seen the entire series, and gave his thoughts on each season.

feliciano182 wrote:
I remember I saw one episode of Oz, and I fucking loved it :lol:

I clearly remember it was about this guy called Dino Ortolani who got 15 years for murder, and he was a REAL BITTER dude, he was somehow so frustrated with everything in his life that he verbally smashed, and defiantly so, ANYONE who tried to buy him with loyalty, he was a fucking badass, and he went out like one !

That was the only episode I saw, somehow I told myself to see it completely, but time passed and I never got to it, maybe the time is right now !

I actually think that was the first episode.

But yeah, you should check it out. The show as unfairly snubbed every year at the Emmys, but honestly there are about six or seven great performances to be found. Actually, the entire cast is mostly excellent.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:39 pm 

t3cii wrote:
I just found the newspaper angle to be less than compelling. I actually like Gus, but as with most of the season, this was something that could have been better developed.

To me, it seemed like such a personal experience that I understood why was it that some didn't found it as compelling as I did, also, not having those precious three episodes certainly didn't help matters at all.

t3cii wrote:
I don't know. Before he went off to kill Omar (for no real reason) he was about to torture a cat. I think some people are born psychopaths no matter where they're born.

An interesting point of view..............and a cat I completely forgot about :shock: !

t3cii wrote:
And it's not just that he's a drug addict, it's that he has no options left. He doesn't want to go to a group home, but he's too young to get a job. So where does that leave him? It's just depressing to think your whole life could be over before you're even 15.

It was quite the punch indeed, I don't want to seem like an asshole, but Dukie really seemed like "the one" from all those kids who really had the most potential, he was certainly the most intelligent of them, it feels horrible to think again about how things turned out for him in spite of the sheer chances he could've seized, maybe that's the point ?

t3cii wrote:
Check the Wire thread. Curi has seen the entire series, and gave his thoughts on each season.

My life is a lie.

Curi, thou shall pay for this :evil: !

t3cii wrote:
I actually think that was the first episode.

Well isn't that funny :lol: ?

t3cii wrote:
But yeah, you should check it out. The show as unfairly snubbed every year at the Emmys, but honestly there are about six or seven great performances to be found. Actually, the entire cast is mostly excellent.

Well, there was one other scene I also saw while flipping channels where, if I'm not mistaken, a guy is raping a cop.

Now, I don't know if that's how things really were, I saw that scene YEARS ago and my memory could've easily betrayed me, but I can see how something like that might have offended someone's sensibilities, still no excuse though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:12 am 
Tired of Earth.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6821163/the-wire-rpg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:14 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6821163/the-wire-rpg

"You selected Ziggy...probably by accident." :lol:

Pretty cool, but it would have been cooler had they actually made the game. Kind of like "The Room" game that was online a while back.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:15 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I'm done with this show. I just finished the last episode and I'm a little sad, but happy that something so great exists. It's an eye opener in many ways and just downright amazing. This should be required viewing to many people.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:23 am 

TheMovieDude wrote:
I'm done with this show. I just finished the last episode and I'm a little sad, but happy that something so great exists. It's an eye opener in many ways and just downright amazing. This should be required viewing to many people.

I'm worried that jumping straight into this show may be problematic though.

Friends of mine back home finished Breaking Bad and they thought they could watch the best of the best straight up, now you can perfectly dissagree with me, but I think The Wire asks it's viewers for a little more "savyness" and deep sensibility to many social and political issues many people haven't quite grasped yet, I'd say some seasons can fly over the heads of many that don't quite have a knowledge on the dynamics of american politics.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:49 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

feliciano182 wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:

I'm worried that jumping straight into this show may be problematic though.

Friends of mine back home finished Breaking Bad and they thought they could watch the best of the best straight up, now you can perfectly dissagree with me, but I think The Wire asks it's viewers for a little more "savyness" and deep sensibility to many social and political issues many people haven't quite grasped yet, I'd say some seasons can fly over the heads of many that don't quite have a knowledge on the dynamics of american politics.

That's probably true. I've had friends who finished Breaking Bad as well and wondered if I could recommend them a series. I had to know exactly what they were looking for because I can't have them go into The Wire expecting the same kind of thrills as Breaking Bad. I always sort of have to recommend it with a disclaimer haha.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:32 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I think people tend to expect the show to be amazing right from the get go, simply because of the hype. They'll say "I've watched three episodes, it's alright, but what's the big deal?". Honestly, I think it's not until you finish the series that you can step back and see it for what it's worth.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:54 am 

t3cii wrote:
I think people tend to expect the show to be amazing right from the get go, simply because of the hype. They'll say "I've watched three episodes, it's alright, but what's the big deal?". Honestly, I think it's not until you finish the series that you can step back and see it for what it's worth.

It's part of the beauty of the show.

They're not going to find a dead body, collect evidence, quickly conceive hypothesis, question suspects and then go home victorious; it's gonna be thirteen episodes of hard labor with everyone against them, and at best, AT BEST, receive a pyrrhic victory of sorts.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:52 pm 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

I am currently re-watching the show. This time, however, I'm watching it in the main living room because I've got my wife hooked, too. Currently at ep 3, season 2.

That is seriously cool.

She hates violence portrayed on film – she is extremely empathetic – which is kind of tricky, because as the story is done so well, you really feel for the characters. Series 2 is a bit of a change-up regarding the brutality. The Greek and his crew aren't fucking about...

What is amazing is the way she 'gets' the show. I didn't even have to sell it to her, either. She suggested tyring it in a lull after watching the first series of 'Life on Mars' and before the discs for series two and 'Ashes to Ashes' arrived from Amazon. Full-on loves it. Her only gripe so far was when Rawls' insider-man, while on camera/phone duty up on the church roof missed Barksdale's unlikely visit because of taking a piss. That, and the upped grimness of the violence (which she can't watch). :D

She is going to flip through season 4. She often works in schools, and has been trained as a social worker. It's anyway a wonderful thing to look at the series with an intelligent person who hasn't read anything about it whatsoever. Only heard our general praise of its quality.

Life is good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7