WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 285 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Mad Men
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:53 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Is anyone else a fan of this show? I just got into it because a friend told me to blind-buy the first season and I'm glad I did, it's great.

My problem is that some episodes have a rather sluggish pacing to them, but the pay-off at the end of each one is well worth it, the season finale was especially heartbreaking.

I don't get american cable, so I will have to wait until the 2nd season comes out on DVD.

Post subject: Re: Mad Men
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:02 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Yeah I started watching it in season 2. It is a slow paced show, but rewarding all the same. Worth checking out. I'm curious where the show will be headed next season (as I've read the show jumps ahead 2 or 3 years every season, taking it into the mid sixties). It will be interesting to see the employees of Sterling/Cooper in bell bottoms and long hair and side burns, a change from the sleek and stylish early sixties look.

Also, I've said it before but I think Jon Hamm, aka Don Drapper, should be Superman.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:27 pm 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Loved the first series. Haven't seen any of the second season, yet. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:39 pm 
Intrinsic Field Subtractor

I'm a big fan of MAD MEN, and I'm not someone who likes soap operas. It's some of the most subtle writing I've seen in a long time, some of the best acting I've seen in a long time, and the show's attention to detail is phenomenal.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:50 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

I love this show. AMC was taken off my basic cable programming (DAMN YOU, COMCAST!!!) so I watch it online. Thank god for sidereel.

Oh how I love you, Joan Holloway.

Post subject: Mad Men, Season 4
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:45 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

[NOTE: Merged. --"Curiosity Inc."]

Any Mad Men fans here? Season 4 starts next Sunday, and after the Lost and The Wire threads, which both provided great conversation, I thought I'd create a thread to discuss the season, provided there are enough people who are watching the show to talk about it. Season 4 ended on a very high note with the show going through a sort of reinvention, as Don Draper and co left Sterling/Cooper to form Sterling/Cooper/Draper/Pryce, stealing a few employees and clients along the way in a fun, caper like episode.

Anyone who hasn't seen the show but are interested to should tune into AMC, as the channel has been airing a Mad Men marathon this past week.

Post subject: Re: Mad Men, Season 4
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:22 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I'm a big fan, but I'm way behind. I haven't watched anything after Season 2 :(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:51 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

TheMovieDude wrote:

I think I may have spoiled season 3 for you :( . Sorry about that. But like I said, AMC is currently airing repeats until the finale. Season 3 is only 13 episodes long, so if you really wanted to catch up it wouldn't be too difficult.

I have a feeling no one else watches, though. :| Kind of shame, it's the best looking series on television at the moment. And season 3 really did end on a strong note.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:33 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

t3cii wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:

I think I may have spoiled season 3 for you :( . Sorry about that. But like I said, AMC is currently airing repeats until the finale. Season 3 is only 13 episodes long, so if you really wanted to catch up it wouldn't be too difficult.

I have a feeling no one else watches, though. :| Kind of shame, it's the best looking series on television at the moment. And season 3 really did end on a strong note.

Correction. I meant, I haven't seen anything after Season 1. :(
That makes it even sadder, I think. I really need to get Season 2 and 3 soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:20 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

t3cii wrote:
[NOTE: Merged. --"Curiosity Inc."]

I created a new thread so that I could talk specifically about the 4th season, although with no one else watching I suppose it doesn't matter.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:21 am 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

I think I'll make six different threads for the star wars movies

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:57 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Smutty wrote:

Do you have anything else besides snark to add? I was thinking of having a thread specifically for the 4th season because I wanted to do something similar to the Lost thread where we would talk about the current season as it progressed, and not just the series as a whole, so the conversation could be more focused. And anyone just getting into the series could avoid spoilers for future seasons.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:10 am 

t3cii wrote:
Smutty wrote:

Do you have anything else besides snark to add? I was thinking of having a thread specifically for the 4th season because I wanted to do something similar to the Lost thread where we would talk about the current season as it progressed, and not just the series as a whole, so the conversation could be more focused. And anyone just getting into the series could avoid spoilers for future seasons.

Snark's my middle name.
Don't take it so personally.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:31 pm 
Drinking a toast to absent friends.

I wish I was watching this. I started watching it, but other people in my house didn't like it, and then gave it to a charity shop when I was out. I was only able to watch 5 episodes. I liked it, I thought the acting was great, but I didn't like any of the characters, I thought they were all arseholes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:39 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

tbone wrote:
I wish I was watching this. I started watching it, but other people in my house didn't like it, and then gave it to a charity shop when I was out. I was only able to watch 5 episodes. I liked it, I thought the acting was great, but I didn't like any of the characters, I thought they were all arseholes.

Yeah, I can understand that. Even Don, the main character, does some really asshole things. And that's putting it lightly. It's also a series that often it doesn't seem like anything is happening. It really is a series that is "all about the characters" and how they interact. It's also a era of American history I find fascinating. And as I said, the cinematography is great. Which is why I'm a bit bumbed that no one else here watches the show as I'm sure there would be quite a few who would appreciate it.

I'm sure there are episodes available online if you want to check it out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:49 pm 

A lot of people are always telling me to watch it, so I think I will when I'm done with the other shows I'm watching

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:18 am 
...you're locked in here with me!

t3cii wrote:
Even Don, the main character, does some really asshole things. And that's putting it lightly.

SPOILERS --> I've just seen that motherfucker fire Sal because he was gay, what the fuck was up with that ?!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:09 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Cool, you're already on season 3! The last three or four episodes are some of the best of the series, I think. What do you think of it?

SPOILERS

We often see Don act very cold towards some of his employees, but this is the coldest he's ever been. Especially the "you people" comment. The thing is, Lucky Strike is the company's biggest client, and a crucial one in season 4. So unfortunately if Lee Garner Jr wants Sal out, they have to go along with it. I don't think fans have ever got over that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:32 am 
...you're locked in here with me!

t3cii wrote:
Cool, you're already on season 3! The last three or four episodes are some of the best of the series, I think. What do you think of it?

Great show, but one has to "get it" in order to enjoy it to the fullest, there's great historical commentary and unlike other traditional HBO shows (like Big Love, Six Feet Under or The Sopranos) the drama is not as heavy or intense, it's much more subtle and intimate.

BIG SPOILERS

t3cii wrote:
We often see Don act very cold towards some of his employees, but this is the coldest he's ever been. Especially the "you people" comment.

You know, by the end of season 2 and all through season 3 (so far I'm at The Gypsy And The Hobo) one kind of makes peace with Don and his tendency to be a major dick (HA!), but he really went all the way with this one, is he really homophobic ? I wouldn't think he was because of what he told Sal on the plane when they went back to NY, but the "you people" can be implying only one thing, what pisses me off is that Sal did the right thing and they couldn't even break a sweat or even try to keep him at Sterling Cooper, they just cut him loose as soon as Lee Garner Jr. made his first tantrum (sp), I know, it was their biggest account, but it feels more like backstabbing at it's finest.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:15 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

feliciano182 wrote:
is he really homophobic ? I wouldn't think he was because of what he told Sal on the plane

Well I know he was using the ad idea as a way of communicating to Sal that he should "limit his exposure". It could be read as tactful advice, or a warning to Sal. Like someone might find out about Sal and it would reflect poorly on the company. Minor spoiler, but a lot of fans continue to hope Sal is brought back, thinking that if the company were to loose Lucky Strike Sal could be rehired. But they're misreading what happened. Roger and Don didn't even agonize over it. It was like "Lee Garner doesn't want you on the account, we have no choice but to fire you". This should tell you how little the company values their employees.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 285 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next