WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mad Men
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:18 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Honestly, I don't know what Don wants.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:02 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

t3cii wrote:
Honestly, I don't know what Don wants.

I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing narratively. It's not like nothing he does makes sense, in fact, at this point we understand him very well but it seems like he is hiding something and that Weiner and co. are doing the same.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:34 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Well, that's the thing. Don has affairs, but you never really get the impression he enjoys any of them. His work seems to be his life, yet he often takes extended breaks from the office. He always seems to be trying to get away from it all. He doesn't relate well with most people, yet he also understands human behaviour and motivations, and is able to charm people in a way most can't. He is competitive, and not above using deception. He is well put together one minute, and a total mess the next. Some have suggested Don is a sociopath, or a psychopath, and I suspect that's probably an accurate reading of the character.

Post subject: Re: Mad Men (SPOILERS)
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:19 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

SPOILERS

The season finale was very interesting. I love it when the show deals with historical events, and this episode did a great job portraying the reactions to the Moon Landing. And so, we've lost Cooper. I had been expecting it to happen since last year, but does Don have schizophrenia or the sixth sense? This is the 2nd (or third?) time he's seen ghosts. Much like with Anita's death I wonder if Cooper is really trying to tell him something, but why? Now that I think of it, we knew just about enough about Cooper but he always stayed shrouded in mystery.

Also, does anyone else think that the show may end up partially being about Roger and Don's friendship? And not as a subplot, but like a big deal, I'm talking Jesse/Walter stuff here.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:29 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I'm beginning to wonder if the Cooper fantasy was a bit misguided, or at least, poorly executed. Because it seems to me that a lot of people think Don is hallucinating, or that he was actually standing there talking to an apparition, which I think is the wrong way to interpret the scene. I don't think he was hallucinating, or literally imagining Cooper singing and dancing. For one, I think they just wanted the actor, who is from a musical theatre background, to sing, and they thought it would be a nice sendoff for the character. From a story telling angle, I think once Don leaves just before the announcement, the realization that Cooper is really dead hits him. This is also after the new merger, and the day after Neil Armstrong walked on the moon. All of this is swimming around in his head, this eccentric man has passed on, Don and the company are taking another new, possibly scary, step, and so too is mankind. The song itself is rather sunny and hopeful, saying "Love can come to anyone/ the best things in life are free". Don's day dream is really just a visual symbol of what he's feeling inside. And as he smiles sadly at Cooper, and Cooper smiles and waves, the door is abruptly shut, and the fantasy is cruelly snuffed out. Don is left alone, and the full weight of the situation finally hits home.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:09 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I also thought of it that way, it was more of a representation of Don's thoughts and feelings in the moment. It reminded me of those days where you're not the only one taking big steps or dealing with a big change, suddenly something like that would not seem so out of place. I do wonder how it stands in relation to Don's other experiences with "ghosts", though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:37 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

So, last night's episode was pretty good, I thought. Lots of stuff going on. It was so dense, every single image had so many things going on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:47 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

TheMovieDude wrote:
Lots of stuff going on.

Except Lou.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:09 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I thought it was okay. I'm not sure there's much to talk about for a rundown, though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:41 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

t3cii wrote:
I thought it was okay. I'm not sure there's much to talk about for a rundown, though.

Well, all the stuff with Sally and Betty was great. I thought her frustration with everything (Her mom, her dad, the stuff with Glen) was great and very understandable. Also, the way the guys fucked up the account was hilarious. It wasn't a great episode, but it had fun moments and I never thought it slowed down.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:29 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

The latest episode wasn't great, but things seemed to take on a bit of a weird twist. What do you all think will happen now? I kind of think it came in a bit too late, especially for the last season of the show. Also, I've gotta say that for the first time, in the almost eight years I've been watching the show, I actually applauded something Pete did.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:35 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I missed the episode. I'll try to watch it this week.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:02 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I feel like it was a mistake to split the season into two parts, because I've forgotten most of what happened last season.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:53 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

t3cii wrote:
I feel like it was a mistake to split the season into two parts, because I've forgotten most of what happened last season.

I really wonder how the momentum would feel if we had seen the show just go on in a straight forward manner. But I don't know, for example, Breaking Bad's 2nd half of its final season felt like it was actually going somewhere, and you could never really forget what had happened beforehand (although in my case, I had caught up with the 1st half a handful of months before watching the 2nd one.)

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:18 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Although Breaking Bad has a completely different pace from Mad Men.

But yes, splitting seasons is a mistake. Be it The Sopranos, Breaking Bad or Mad Men, there was never any benefit.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 1:53 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I know it's been a while, but I figured it was due.

THE SECOND TO LAST FINAL RUNDOWN!

(sorry, no explody gif. Or any images, apparently. What's with this forum suddenly not being able to determine the dimensions of an image?)

Anyway...

SPOILERS

- It's hard to believe there is now only one episode of Mad Men left. It's hard to believe just how many years have gone by. AMC has been airing promos for the series, and it's always a bit of a shock to see those earlier episodes. Everyone looks so young. Which I would love to illustrate here but I can't because what the fuck?!

- Don continues his road trip to wherever it is he's going. is it California? Either way, I hope we might actually get some bigger insight into the character. One of my criticisms of the character is that he's always taking a step back after he's taken a step forward. There was a moment in last night's episode where Don spots an attractive woman lying near the pool, but thankfully the show decides not to go down that road again. Still, I have no idea what's in store for Don for the finale. Or, perhaps, I do. Which brings us to...

- Betty. I've never been her biggest fan. I find she's too much of a buzzkill. There's often very little joy to the character. In fact, I flat out called her a bitch, at one point. So apparently Matt Weiner has read my thoughts and decided to give her cancer. Surprisingly, she handled with as much grace as could be expected. But now what of Sally? Or the boys? What of Don, for that matter? Does Don come back home? I'd hope there is at least some final moment between the two. But it's looking like a pretty sad farewell to Betty.

- Pete does what Pete does, by which I mean, he somehow makes it out on top. Remember how dark the character was a few years ago? I was convinced he'd end up killing himself. Instead, he ends up killing it with Trudy by successfully convincing her to live with him again.

See that? See what I did there? Heh...heh... (there is a reason I don't do these anymore).

- Duck Phillips also makes an appearance. Ya gotta love Duck.

So how will the series end? Any predictions? I had a hunch that there might not be many happy endings for the women of this show. It's great that Peggy is moving on with her life, (and what a great image of her strutting into McAnn, right? Dammit, is it my computer?...). but this is still 1970. A harsher, yet truer ending might be for her to continue to struggle to break the glass ceiling. And Don...Don will forever be an enigma.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 2:04 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I wouldn't be surprised if the show just ends. I wonder if Weiner has changed his mind and won't do the ending image he planned on a while back. With Betty's cancer, I almost wouldn't be surprised if a reunion between Don and his family ended up being important for the ending if not the actual ending of the show, but I don't imagine the show being saccharine at all.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:39 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

We should get Feliciano to post. At least for the finale.

I think you're probably right about the show just ending. That might be the best way to lower our expectations.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:15 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Yeah, we should. I don't know if he's been watching at all, though. Also, other thoughts: Maybe Don won't reunite with Betty at all, but will see her as a ghost. I almost think the show will jump a year or so into the future when Betty has died. Pete's growth has been interesting; he's still a dumbass but he certainly handles situations a lot better compared to when he started. Some people have said that it's likely that the episode from the week before will probably be the last time we see Peggy and Joan. Not bad send-offs at all, but I think that they ultimately symbolize that the show is about people going after something, even if it takes a lifetime. Whether it's a job, love or even going away. I think that was always been Don's thing: He's never happy. And either he will realize that now or never. I almost think the girl at the pool was a sign of that. He knows that he won't get any actual fulfillment.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:46 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

OH SHIT you guys were talking about it :cry:

Anyways ... such finale ... such awesomeness.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next