WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 760  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:49 pm 
New Frontiersman

Mister Pain wrote:
Hahaha...
excellent.
Watched 'In Bruges' last night, which was a film where you didn't want anyone to die but you know damn well that ain't how it's gonna pan out. Fantastic.

I keep hearing how fantastic In Bruges is. Last time I saw my friend, Hal, he spent a solid 5 minutes quoting the film, and then proceeded to explain an entire scene. :lol:
But I can't quite seem to get over my dislike of Colin Farrell.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:57 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Lacuna wrote:
I keep hearing how fantastic In Bruges is. Last time I saw my friend, Hal, he spent a solid 5 minutes quoting the film, and then proceeded to explain an entire scene. :lol:

I don't like Farrell either, but he's great in In Bruges. It's not quite on the level of The Big Lebowski in terms of quotability, but IS an extremely quotable film.

Harry's Wife: Harry! It's an inanimate fucking object!
Harry: You're an inanimate fucking object!
Later -- Harry: I'm sorry I called you an inanimate object.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:07 pm 
New Frontiersman

Bandy Greensacks wrote:
Lacuna wrote:

I don't like Farrell either, but he's great in In Bruges. It's not quite on the level of The Big Lebowski in terms of quotability, but IS an extremely quotable film.

Haha...

Oh, I know I'll see it eventually. It just takes some time to get over that Farrell-Hate. I did it for A Home At The End Of The World, so I can probably do it for In Bruges ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:15 pm 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Lacuna wrote:
Bandy Greensacks wrote:
Lacuna wrote:

Haha...

Oh, I know I'll see it eventually. It just takes some time to get over that Farrell-Hate. I did it for A Home At The End Of The World, so I can probably do it for In Bruges ;)

His performance in 'In Bruges' is outstanding. I have never been crazy about the guy as an actor, but he walks a tragi-comic razor's edge in this movie, and it is something to behold. Brendan Gleeson, also brilliant. Music is by the much-favourited-by-WCM'ers Carter Burwell.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:47 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Knocked Up

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:08 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Taken - 9.5/10

After waiting months to see this, this finally came out in the US on Friday, so I was really excited to finally be able to see it. So before I even start my review, just know that my expectations for this were really high, this was one of my most hyped movies to see in 2009. As some of you may know, I really love revenge movies, so I already knew that I was going to at least like it some, but I got so much more than that. Taken is a non-stop thrill ride, right when Liam Neeson gets to Paris, the action doesn’t stop at all. So action fans really should love this one, it wasn’t just some pure action flick though; it has a great story with some great acting, mainly from Neeson, to go along with it. Once it starts you won’t want it to end.

One of the things that mainly had me hyped for this is that it was written by Luc Besson, who’s the director of Leon: The Professional which is one of my all-time favorite movies. Besson really has another great movie on his hands; I actually felt some of the scenes really reminded me of Leon. This is just one of those movies that really have you cheering throughout the movie, at least I know I was, and I haven’t actually cheered in a movie in a long time. The movie just went by so fast; I wish they could’ve made it longer. I know that if it was longer though, it may have you feeling that it’s a bit overly long. The ending was sort of predictable though, but most revenge movies end the same, so I don’t know why I expected something different. I really loved that song that started playing once the credits started playing though; it was the song that played in the first trailer for Taken.

The main thing that had me hyped for Taken though, has to be that Liam Neeson was starring in it. He’s one of my all-time favorite actors, and I seem to find him great in almost everything he’s in, expect maybe The Dead Pool, but even Eastwood wasn’t as great in The Dead Pool. None of his performances in anything will ever top him in Schindler’s List, that’s sort of a given. I’d probably say that his performance in this is about equal with his performance in Batman Begins, maybe not quite as good in that but almost. Olivier Rabourin was good in this as well, the only reason that I really even mentioned this though, is because of how similar he looks to Kevin Spacey. I swear I actually thought that he was Kevin Spacey at first. Famke Janssen was good in this, expect I didn’t really like that her acting was just crying throughout most of the movie.

Overall I was very happy that I went to see this, it met almost every expectation that I had for it. Even if you only have little interest in seeing it I suggest you do so before leaving theaters, because it’s just one of those movies that’s meant to be seen at theaters to get the full effect. It’s a non-stop thrill ride that will have you on the edge of your seat throughout the whole movie. I think any action fan will be able to appreciate Taken, because I’d go even as far to call it one of my new all time favorite action movies.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:24 pm 
...I am Pagliacci.

The last movie I saw was, coincidentally to recent discussion in this thread, In Bruges. Fantastic film. Anybody who's a fan of twisted, off-beat comedies like Fargo should see it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:02 am 
A brother to dragons.

Mister Pain wrote:
Lacuna wrote:
Bandy Greensacks wrote:
Lacuna wrote:

Haha...

His performance in 'In Bruges' is outstanding. I have never been crazy about the guy as an actor, but he walks a tragi-comic razor's edge in this movie, and it is something to behold. Brendan Gleeson, also brilliant. Music is by the much-favourited-by-WCM'ers Carter Burwell.

It's funny. It reminds me of the dislike I had for Leo DiCaprio before I saw The Departed. After I saw that movie, I was pretty impressed by his performance and gained a whole new level of respect for him. In Farell's case I never disliked him but wasn't a fan either...til In Bruges

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:29 am 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

I wanna see Taken! Because of Liam Neeson... :P

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:41 am 
Human Bean Juice

V.M.L. wrote:
I wanna see Taken! Because of Liam Neeson... :P

I swear we were seperated at birth... :shock:

Speaking of Neeson, I recently watched Micheal Collins and cried my eyes out through the last half of the movie.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:47 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Liam Neeson is to Ralph Fiennes as Andy Garcia is to Alec Baldwin.

In other words, Liam Neeson is a poor man's Ralph Fiennes. And I am NEVER wrong. Ever.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:53 am 

You're right, you are wrong! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:56 am 
Human Bean Juice

I now understand how Dr. Long felt when talking to Rorschach *pops an asprin*

And I also understand and wonder why the fuck Curi puts up with us...*gets a cup of coffee*

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:58 am 

Lady_Rorschach wrote:

And I also understand and wonder why the fuck Curi puts up with us...*gets a cup of coffee*

(Are you sure you're posting this in the right thread?)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:01 am 
Human Bean Juice

V.M.L. wrote:
Lady_Rorschach wrote:

(Are you sure you're posting this in the right thread?)

What thread would you rather I put it in?

*sigh*

Movies...gotta get back on topic.

Just saw Jaws for the first time the other night. Good stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:05 am 

Whoops, I thought it belonged in the thread about Rorschach seeing Sigmund Freud. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:41 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Lady_Rorschach wrote:
Movies...gotta get back on topic.

Just saw Jaws for the first time the other night. Good stuff.

Did you know that they didn't harpoon any real sharks during the production of that film? In fact, Jaws himself was actually a sea otter dressed in a shark costume.

I saw a film called Diva recently. It was quite good, especially for a French action film from the '80s.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:44 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I feel sorry for all the people in the US that watched Taken, because they didn't watch the no holds barred, gutbusting edition of it.

When I heard it was PG-13, I knew something was wrong. It came out in Mexico just a few months ago and when I went to see it I was blown away by how much fun it was, but also the brutality of the action. I'm glad people are still enjoying it, though, but when you get the DVD, make sure you get the UNRATED or INTERNATIONAL version, that I hope is the version that was shown everywhere else.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:46 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

TheMovieDude wrote:
I feel sorry for all the people in the US that watched Taken, because they didn't watch the no holds barred, gutbusting edition of it.

When I heard it was PG-13, I knew something was wrong. It came out in Mexico just a few months ago and when I went to see it I was blown away by how much fun it was, but also the brutality of the action. I'm glad people are still enjoying it, though, but when you get the DVD, make sure you get the UNRATED or INTERNATIONAL version, that I hope is the version that was shown everywhere else.

How bloody was it, exactly? Are you sure there was enough in it to justify an R rating?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:52 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Bandy Greensacks wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:

How bloody was it, exactly? Are you sure there was enough in it to justify an R rating?

It wasn't bloody, actually.
But the action felt VERY real. Like you could actually hear the bones crunching or you could see the bullets hitting people. It was graphic in that sense.

I'm going by what I'm hearing on message boards, though. I'd give it a revisit but there are other films I want to see first. But I'm still shocked that it landed a PG-13 rating here and I don't think it could have done that with some editing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 760  Next