WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 748, 749, 750, 751, 752, 753, 754 ... 760  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:41 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

t3cii wrote:
Better than "Stephen King's Acura", which I suspected was really an ad disguised as a story.

I honestly would love it if they did like an ad series with contributions from famous authors like King and the like. Sort of like "The Hire" web miniseries from a few years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:44 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

TheMovieDude wrote:
t3cii wrote:
Better than "Stephen King's Acura", which I suspected was really an ad disguised as a story.

I honestly would love it if they did like an ad series with contributions from famous authors like King and the like. Sort of like "The Hire" web miniseries from a few years ago.

Hey, that doesn't count as Stephen King because it wasn't an accident. I just couldn't find a poster that fit the size constraints and gave up.

But these posters do yaaaaay

All great.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:51 pm 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

Godziller66 wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:
t3cii wrote:

Hey, that doesn't count as Stephen King because it wasn't an accident. I just couldn't find a poster that fit the size constraints and gave up.

But these posters do yaaaaay

All great.

Oh god, even seeing all those posters on the same page makes me all kinds of happy.

I'll be right back. I gotta go see a man about a mule.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:12 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

10/10

Scary, gripping, stylish, subversive.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:41 am 

^ Great movie.

(Director's Cut)

Also great.

Especially The Animatrix which I'd never seen before. It was both beautiful and terrifying.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:08 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

The Tale of Princess Kaguya
8/10
Some plot inconsistencies and a slightly excessive length bring down what is otherwise a gorgeous, moving film.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:47 am 

Very fun and generally very good. I recommend watching it, especially in a group setting.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:29 am 

I watched The Man From Nowhere, a Korean crime drama action revenge film. It was pretty touching and really good. Also, it's on Netflix.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:41 pm 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

Godziller66 wrote:
I watched The Man From Nowhere, a Korean crime drama action revenge film. It was pretty touching and really good. Also, it's on Netflix.

^ such a good movie. Love it.

I'll be right back. I gotta go see a man about a mule.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:11 am 

So Furious 7 is really fun and enjoyable. I've never seen a Fast and the Furious movie before, but I had a great time.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:23 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

La Dictadura Perfecta (The Perfect Dictatorship)
8/10
This was sorta kinda a Mexican version of Wag the Dog, although the scary part is that this one takes a lot from real events. I felt it sagged a bit in the middle, and its scope was all over the place. But towards the end, the stakes really upped themselves resulting in a biting film that probably hurts too much to be funny because it's too real.

Harvey
8/10
James Stewart was such a great actor. His performance here is so great and nuanced. The story itself is all right, but it's really Stewart who keeps things lively.

The Impossible
9/10
Harrowing and tough to watch. The movie relies a little too much on coincidence, and I think that showing other perspectives could have worked it, but by focusing on this particular family, the horrors of the 2004 Tsunami truly come through. Bayona is an immensely talented filmmaker.

Grosse Point Blank
7/10
I felt this could have been better. The acting and music are great, as well as the action. But I felt it didn't really explore its ideas as it could have.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:44 am 

Dog Soldiers and An American Werewolf in London

Both very good and fun.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:49 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Ladies and gentlemen, I bring forth today not reviews or even attempts at reviews. But a narrative that will be forever marked in the canons of my family and my own life. Today, I went with my brother, his girlfriend and a friend of mine to go see 5 centimeters per second, a sad, wonderful anime film that everyone should watch. It's short running time of an hour makes it a less than savory movie experience. Then again, this could be in favor of the movie itself. It's so good, you just want more. And watching it again, I could see where it could have been expanded.

So, my friend left and I was all alone. I didn't want to play third wheel to my brother and his girlfriend so I just walked around, had shitty McNuggets, looked for books I could get for me, or anyone else and failed to find any that I really wanted or that I thought someone else could really enjoy, and just sat, sometimes texting other people. My brother had told me that I should see a movie in the meantime, so I decided to do that.

Looking at the movie times, I couldn't find anything that appealed to me or that was at a right time. My top 3 options were: Furious Seven, The Imitation Game and Welcome to Yesterday. Unfortunately, it seemed I couldn't see any of them from the start or even finish them. Finally, I decided to try out an experiment: I'd watch Furious Seven without having watched the previous one, and I'd only watch as much as I could of it before I had to leave since we had to take my brother's girlfriend home.

I arrived late at the movie. How late, well, just about the time Hobbs (The Rock) is fighting Dwayne or whatever Jason Statham's character's name was and shit blows up. I arrived considerably late and was kind of taken aback that it had taken so long for shit to go down in the movie. This made me conclude that perhaps this movie had a bloated running time. What followed was a series of entertaining stunts that collapsed all suspension bridges of disbelief and all the check your brain at doors in all the universe. I thought to myself "Okay, why do I live in a world where people shit so much on something like Interstellar and this gets a pass?" Sure, you could say because it doesn't take itself seriously. But my mood during the movie fluctuated between boredom and giddiness at the cheer cheesiness onscreen. Too unbelievable and I realized I couldn't really care about the characters. They could survive anything, no matter how dangerous. Also, it made me think of something: James Wan is a very competent director, but Jesus, I think he had no idea how to direct his actors in this one. The acting was BAD in so many parts. I know the series has never been known for its acting, but Justin Lin got serviceable performances out of everyone in Fast Five. They made you buy the ridiculousness of the moments and the cheesiness of the lines, and I think Wan didn't quite achieve that here. And as much as I give credit to this film series for its diverse cast and for actually giving women some fun roles, the rampant "male gaze" moments really made me wonder how again, this movie gets a pass from so many (so-called) feminist credits who went wah-wah over the Alice Eve bra scene in Into Darkness?

I had to leave right after the Dubai scene, not feeling much regret about it. But I did want to know: Okay, how does this movie end given Paul Walker's death and because I really wanted to see Jason Statham's character bite it somehow. But eh, whatever. Someday on Netflix, or so I thought. Turns out, my brother had lost his car keys. What followed was a two hour odyssey that involved us confusing a Paul Blart standee for a real security guard, walking all over the places we had been in the mall, asking security guards questions and figuring out just how we were going to get out of there.

We had one last place to try: The theater where we had watched 5 centimeters per second. They told us to wait until the movie was over and it seemed like it was over. I went into the theater and what was playing? The climax and ending of Furious Seven. I don't know what the hell happened between the Dubai scene and the climax, but somehow, that was the most grounded part I had seen of the movie, and I gotta say, I was pretty moved by the overall ending as well. My brother joins me and the theater lights up, so we look for the car keys, and we find them.

In conclusion, a happy ending of just desserts and me thinking I really should go watch Fast and Furious 6, and maybe someday, all that I missed of Furious Seven.

So, for now:
5cm per second (Which I think I had already rated here) - 10/10
Furious Seven - 6.5/10

Note: I got Abu Dabi and Dubai mixed up. Sorry about that. And you may already know this, but "5 centimeters per second" is from the director of "Children who heard lost voices"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:03 am 

TheMovieDude wrote:
Note: I got Abu Dabi and Dubai mixed up. Sorry about that.

Fucking racists.

Anyway, I've now seen two Sergio Leone films in a theater! :)

OHIMAGESSTILLAREN'TWORKING

Whatever, everyone just go to girlswithdicks.com because urls still are.

It was For a Few Dollars More, by the way.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:42 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Which was the other one?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:40 pm 

TheMovieDude wrote:
Which was the other one?

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

I also saw Seven Samurai in the same theater. So yeah, that theater's the greatest.

Oh, also, I just watched The Little Shop of Horrors Director's cut and Yellow Submarine, the latter of which I'd never seen, but really enjoyed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:09 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

All those are movies I'd love to see in the theater.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:09 pm 

TheMovieDude wrote:

You should move to NY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQRW0RM4V0k

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:51 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Godziller66 wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:

You should move to NY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQRW0RM4V0k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fOSY5-6MxA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:21 am 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starry_Eye ... poster.jpg

A horror movie about an actress and what she's willing to do to claim a spot in the actor's pantheon. It was pretty good, but it felt a little too similar to movies it draws inspiration from for me to think it's truly great.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 748, 749, 750, 751, 752, 753, 754 ... 760  Next