WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 749, 750, 751, 752, 753, 754, 755 ... 760  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:58 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Rosewater - 7/10 (Kinda think it should be higher)
It's Jon Stewart's first film and it kind of shows. Visually, it either tries too hard or doesn't seem to try hard enough, but he had good actors working here and he does a pretty good job with them. The movie does a good job showing this story of hope, despair, censorship and the impact of social media on society.

Mama - 6.5/10
The first half or so of the movie is kind of weak. It seems like it's trying to do too many things at once and it doesn't quite land. Plus, the scares at first, as well as the effects, come off as cheap. However, the movie does kind of finish on an entirely different level. It ends up being actually scary and kind of poignant. One wishes the whole movie had been like that.

Don Jon - 6/10
Gordon Leavitt can direct. He has flair as a director, but judging by the movie, perhaps he should work more on his writing or the editing. It never quite pay offs many of the themes it brings up, instead resolving them in a manner that feels cheap and kind of mawkish.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:31 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Big Eyes - Burton's best in a long time. But I sensed some studio interference that lessened the quality of it. 8.5/10

The Babadook - Not as great as the hype made it out to be, not as bad as the backlash it has gotten since. This is a slow-burner of a horror movie that goes from a feeling of unpleasantness to pure horror. It has a surprisingly moving center and theme to it. 8/10

Top Five - Chris Rock seems to be trying to do accessible, funnier versions of art-house flicks. This almost feels like a remake of a French New Wave film (although for spoiler's sake, the closest comparison I can make is to a certain Preston Sturges film I won't mention), mostly because of its structure. It's a movie that doesn't sacrifice laughs for poignancy, or vice-versa. Although I took Birdman to be hyperrealistic in a way (and better in other ways) , dare I say I found this movie more sincere about showbusiness? 8/10

Fast and Furious 6 - Decided to give this one a watch because I wanted to see action scenes set in London, and get some stuff cleared up about Furious 7. I think this may be my favorite of the series; there's a great balance between the outlandishness of some action scenes and the more grounded (in a manner of speaking) moments. The performances work for the material and everything just feels right. Furious 7 may have a more complete arc to it, and more emotional, but this one just balanced everything right. 8/10

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:34 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Letter Never Sent - 9/10
Dream-like, crazily made story of man against itself and against nature. It has the story of an action/adventure movie but it's a very introspective character drama more than anything. Rian Johnson said he's using this as an inspiration for his Star Wars movie, so now he has my complete curiosity in his movie.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:47 am 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

Starry Eyes - 8/10

If you were every curious about a totally different horror movie called Contracted, don't bother with it.
Starry Eyes is surprisingly similar but infinitely better in pretty much every single way.
I mean... they are VERY similar. Except one is a cautionary tale about blind ambition (Starry Eyes), and the other is a cautionary tale about... STDs?

I'll be right back. I gotta go see a man about a mule.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:56 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

The Foreign Correspondent - 8/10
A great start and a great ending. But, the middle lags and I could attribute that as to why this isn't considered one of Hitchcock's best. That said, it features a sequence that ranks with the Psycho shower scene just for pure craftsmanship.

49th Parallel - 8.5/10
Quite a stand-out for what is a pro-Allied WW2 propaganda movie. Although they're the bad guys, the movie humanizes and puts the Nazis as the lead characters, leading to a scary thriller of sorts with great acting.

Charade - 10/10
A great mix of classic romcom and espionage thriller. Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn are great on their own, but especially great together.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:44 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Creepshow and the Animatrix.

BOTH GREAT ANTHOLOGY FILMS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:34 pm 

Well, Avengers: Age of Ultron was pretty awesome. It might even be better than the first one. Kind of hard to tell, but it certainly ticked a lot of the right boxes in my brain when it came to nerdy fan service.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 4:34 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Age of Ultron isn't very good.

Suprise!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:16 am 

Chris doesn't like another Marvel movie.

Surprise!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:20 am 

Watched The Happening and Superman IV with friends. I recommend both highly.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:08 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Avengers: Age of Ultron - 7/10
A fantastic first quarter or so ends up being all the sadder because it shows how good the movie could have been. Nothing in the rest of the movie can match the mixture of filmmaking, character-work and writing in this part of the film. What follows afterward is a hodgepodge of some intimate, even powerful moments contrasting against the cacophony typical of modern blockbusters that is plaguing too many of these movies nowadays.

Whedon is a filmmaker recognized for his work with characters and (almost) everything he does is all the better for it, which is disappointing that the movie decides to rely on bombast over anything else. It probably wouldn't be a real disappointment, but the action sequences become overly repetitive and jarringly edited. Perhaps a consequence of trying to reduce running time, but even so, there is an amazing lack of creativity to the action sequences. A character like Pietro Maxinoff feels so misused, especially one year later after the fantastic "Time in a Bottle" scene in "X-Men: Days of Future Past."

It's also disappointing that Whedon's feminist discourse is so horribly misused in this movie; I won't go into detail for spoiler's sake but this is also something that hampers the character work in the movie in other aspects. No, not the misuse of feminist discourse, but instead complete contradictions. After the movie was over, my sister told me "Everyone was so sassy in the movie" and it's true, even when against character, that was the behavior of the characters. And speaking of contradictions, what was it with the lack of continuity with the other Marvel movies?

Product placement, wanton destruction, The Phantom Menace-syndrome of lameass armies of villains, ideas presented but totally abandoned. There's so many things this movie got wrong. I may be too critical, especially when I did enjoy it while watching it. There are many laughs throughout and again, some moments that do thankfully pay-off and the movie has quite a few fascinating ideas behind it. Also, again, the actors for the MCU may be the most perfectly chosen. But it goes to show that not even the biggest budget of the world cannot save a film or great ideas if they are executed poorly.

Inherent Vice - 9/10
I can completely see why this movie has been so polarizing, yet I enjoyed the hell out of it. Perhaps having read and slightly obsessed with the book over the years made it go down easier, but I didn't find it overly confusing or vague as a David Lynch movie would be. In fact, after a movie with so many squandered great ideas like Age of Ultron, it was refreshing a movie that not only has great ideas but knows how to present them and pay them off.

Phoenix' performance was fully natural. I never felt I was watching him act. He was Doc Sportello. He made me completely forget about the Doc Sportello I had imagined while reading the book. It's gorgeously shot and it's fully transports you to 1970. Maybe it's that the time period fully informs the characters, but I felt real empathy for them, I totally understood what it was like to be in those shoes (or sandals). It made me wonder that certain anti-hipsterism or if hipster elitism was a consequence of the establishment going against the counterculture, in a time where even the counterculture was divides itself. Yet, so many things still feel connected to our present. I think the real success of this movie is that at the end of the day, is that it's a love story. The complete humanity of the characters and the way that Anderson lets the movie show that becomes the connective tissue of the film.

It's not without its flaws, like some of Paul Thomas Anderson's work, it borders on the overlong and I could see some scenes being cut out out, but these are scenes that inform character, theme and mood. I don't know if it's the best film of 2014. Hell, I don't disregard I may hate it later or never watch it again. But it feels like the richest movie that I watched from last year.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:41 pm 

Watched Zoo again AKA the documentary about a guy who was fucked to death by a horse.

Yeah.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:55 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Godziller66 wrote:
Watched Zoo again AKA the documentary about a guy who was fucked to death by a horse.

Yeah.

That was a good documentary. Although I remember the tone/direction of it being kind of overzealous for the subject matter.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:11 pm 

TheMovieDude wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:

Yeah.

That was a good documentary. Although I remember the tone/direction of it being kind of overzealous for the subject matter.

I think good is a strong word. But you are completely right about the tone and direction.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:23 pm 
Tired of Earth.

i have finally seen birdman

and it was great, definitely a best picture.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:23 am 

Watched Pontypool and Fury.

Pontypool was great, as always. As for Fury, I liked it, but I was kind of mixed on what the general message of the movie was. At times, it feels equal parts fuck yeah propaganda film and dark and unrealistic there are no heroes in war type of film.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:06 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Godziller66 wrote:

Pontypool was great, as always. As for Fury, I liked it, but I was kind of mixed on what the general message of the movie was. At times, it feels equal parts fuck yeah propaganda film and dark and unrealistic there are no heroes in war type of film.

Did you watch the deleted scenes for Fury? Some people have told me they really should make an extended cut that includes those.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:17 pm 

TheMovieDude wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:

Did you watch the deleted scenes for Fury? Some people have told me they really should make an extended cut that includes those.

No, but maybe I'll try to now. Though my friend has the DVD and it's from Netflix. So he probably sent it back by now.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:24 pm 

I watched Another Earth, which I've been meaning to see for a long time, and Contracted, a body horror movie on Netflix.

Another Earth was preeetty good, but I don't think it could possibly live up to my expectations regardless. I thought it was pretty well done, but I also think the concept and the imagery evoked in the trailer is probably stronger than the movie itself.

As for Contracted, it's fine, I guess. The twist is simultaneously interesting and also disappointing. And it seems like it's trying to be a smart movie with themes of being different or a lesbian or something, but I'm not sure it handles those themes well or explores them enough. I don't know, I wouldn't really recommend it.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:43 pm 

Godziller66 wrote:
I watched Another Earth, which I've been meaning to see for a long time, and Contracted, a body horror movie on Netflix.

Another Earth was preeetty good, but I don't think it could possibly live up to my expectations regardless. I thought it was pretty well done, but I also think the concept and the imagery evoked in the trailer is probably stronger than the movie itself.

As for Contracted, it's fine, I guess. The twist is simultaneously interesting and also disappointing. And it seems like it's trying to be a smart movie with themes of being different or a lesbian or something, but I'm not sure it handles those themes well or explores them enough. I don't know, I wouldn't really recommend it.

Contracted sucked. It's essentially a shittier version of Starry Eyes with a lamer twist.

"Oh fuck you're so wet"

Ugh.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 749, 750, 751, 752, 753, 754, 755 ... 760  Next