WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 751, 752, 753, 754, 755, 756, 757 ... 760  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:07 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

And I saw it today, guys. A 9/10 movie for me. I would rate it higher, but I won't because I don't want to be hyperbolic. Amazing action, simple yet concise character work, themes, I mean, it pretty much has everything. Also, weird that it got a PG-13 rating. There's a particularly nasty scene but it's not even graphic.

On the other hand, I watched Age of Ultron again and I liked it even less. It's not a bad way to spend 2 hours and change in the theater, but why go see it when there's something like Fury Road playing next door?

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:19 am 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

TheMovieDude wrote:
And I saw it today, guys. A 9/10 movie for me. I would rate it higher, but I won't because I don't want to be hyperbolic. Amazing action, simple yet concise character work, themes, I mean, it pretty much has everything. Also, weird that it got a PG-13 rating. There's a particularly nasty scene but it's not even graphic.

On the other hand, I watched Age of Ultron again and I liked it even less. It's not a bad way to spend 2 hours and change in the theater, but why go see it when there's something like Fury Road playing next door?

Fury Road didn't get a PG-13.
It's rated R.

I'll be right back. I gotta go see a man about a mule.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:26 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

NiteOwl wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:

It's rated R.

Ah, I meant R, sorry. I wrote that very late at night. I wanted to make the point that it was weird that it got an R-rating instead of a PG-13. It was violent and intense, sure, but you don't graphically see any bullet impacts or blood going off. Road Warrior had a pretty explicit shot of fingers being chopped off, there's nothing on Fury Road that's on that level.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:55 pm 

TheMovieDude wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:

It's rated R.

Ah, I meant R, sorry. I wrote that very late at night. I wanted to make the point that it was weird that it got an R-rating instead of a PG-13. It was violent and intense, sure, but you don't graphically see any bullet impacts or blood going off. Road Warrior had a pretty explicit shot of fingers being chopped off, there's nothing on Fury Road that's on that level.

(spoilers ahead?)
What about when immortan Joe gets his face ripped off? Also, I saw heads cut off, and bodies mangled. And I think I actually remember a couple graphic bullet hits.
But I think it was rated R more for the sheer amount of violence, not necessarily how graphic said violence was.
The movie was pretty non stop.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:13 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

NiteOwl wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:

It's rated R.

(spoilers ahead?)
What about when immortan Joe gets his face ripped off? Also, I saw heads cut off, and bodies mangled. And I think I actually remember a couple graphic bullet hits.
But I think it was rated R more for the sheer amount of violence, not necessarily how graphic said violence was.
The movie was pretty non stop.

The Immortan Joe thing was pretty brief, though. It was probably the bloodiest thing. Everything else was barely graphic. I think the nastiest thing was the deal with the baby, but more out of emotion than graphicness. Although if we really want to get all conspiracy theory, it's not unlikely that they edited the movie, just as Fox did with Kingsman.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:41 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Tomorrowland - 8/10
In terms of dialogue and characterization, the script is oddly unrefined. Other than that, it's an engaging adventure and mystery that has a message that we need. The visuals are great and the acting is really good; I've liked Britt Robertson since I saw her in The First Time and she carries the film very well. And the movie isn't perfect, but honestly, I think people take issue because it openly criticizes our Apocalypse-fixated culture. Perhaps Bird and Lindelof could've sugarcoated that pill a bit, and that's what I'm talking about when it comes to the movie's lack of finesse. Yet, I still enjoyed it and I would probably watch it again.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:27 pm 

I'm watching Kingsman: The Secret Service right now. About halfway through.
Really fun so far. I like the characters and the casting is great.
The movie succumbs to cliche a bit often but that's not a problem given the tone and style they're shooting for.
I also like the fact it can get really dark and serious despite it's fun and lighthearted nature.
It echoes of Men in Black and Roger Moore era James Bond. Somehow they made that mix work really well.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:36 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Just watched They Came Together, the satire of romantic comedies starring Paul Rudd and Amy Poehler. The anti-comedy aspects might be hit or miss for some, but I thought it was very entertaining and I laughed out loud a few times.

Also watched The Perfect Host starring David Hyde Pierce. Also very good.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:42 am 

Watched The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears and Manhunter. Both amazingly well-directed films and very enjoyable for anyone interested into dark probes into the human psyche. Which, y'know, I do.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:59 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Insidious: Chapter 2 - 6.5/10
Watched it because a friend told me I could end up enjoying at least a certain element of it. For the most part, it wasn't on par with the first. It really felt like the cast was sleepwalking throughout the movie and the storylines felt aimless. However, as it gets closer to the end, things really start to rev up, resulting in an inventive and fun climax, and a poingant ending. If only the whole film was at that level, it could've probably even topped the first one. Also, it felt like a slight homage or remake of The Shining.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:33 pm 
Tired of Earth.

fury road, for the third time.

yeah, it's that good. this is something i never do.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:44 am 

Watched Nightmare in Red, White, and Blue and Maniac starring Elijah Wood. A good horror documentary and a very good and unique horror movie both available on Netflix.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:23 am 

WJK wrote:
fury road, for the third time.

yeah, it's that good. this is something i never do.

I saw MIB 3 three times in theaters.
Once by myself, once with a friend, and then once in 3D

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:45 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I don't have a habit of going to watch a movie in the theater repeatedly. Mainly because I have the film still very fresh in my mind that I don't really see the point, although I'll say that when the movie is great, watching it again in the theater keeps being a good experience. Given how "eh" I was towards "Age of Ultron", I was surprised I wasn't bored by it again having to see it a second time with a friend. Although I ended up liking it even less. For some reason, the rewatch experience doesn't quite do it at home. Also, I have the misfortune that the movie I've watched most times in theaters has been "The Phantom Menace."

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:55 pm 

The Phantom Menace was a great theater experience for me. I was young enough to not realize it was a flawed movie, and I enjoyed the hell out of it.
I must've seen it like 5 times in theaters.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:56 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I saw it four times. I was..."passive" towards it. I liked it on the basis of "More Star Wars" and that's pretty much it. The only part that ever really did anything was seeing the Trade Federation guys being terrified of the Jedi, maybe the Podrace and that's it.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:05 pm 

I was... four or five when it came out, so I was caught up in the media hype like crazy.
Phantom Menace pizza boxes, pepsi products, taco bell toys, water coolers that looked like R2-D2, it was everywhere.
It felt like a whole year of Star Wars. Then there were the toys, the legos, the comics, the coloring books.
At that age it was an impossibility to not like the movie. Not to mention, everyone in my family immensely enjoyed it too.
My parents are very un-picky movie goers. My mom likes Transformers 2, and my dad prefers the Total Recall remake to the original. So... go figure.
Episode One was a legit phenomenon in my house. We all loved it, and when it hit VHS it was a day one buy for us as well.
I'm sure my perception of the film will always be colored by that flood of happy nostalgia I get whenever I think about it, but even years later and despite the several harsh critical analyses I've done of the movie, I can't even bring myself to dislike it. I recognize it's issues, I'm always eager to talk about what Lucas should've done, but dammit...
I do like the movie.

I don't regret those five theatrical viewings. I was never embittered towards it like some were.
I will say though, I do regret not seeing Avatar in 3D. I saw that one twice in theaters but never in 3D.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:12 pm 

TheMovieDude wrote:
Given how "eh" I was towards "Age of Ultron", I was surprised I wasn't bored by it again having to see it a second time with a friend. Although I ended up liking it even less.

Funny you should say that. I just watched it again at the drive-in and I actually liked it a lot more, I think, than the first time. The first time, it felt kind of rushed, but this time, it actually didn't at all. It felt very deliberately paced and plotted with a lot of quiet and intimate moments. It also didn't hurt that people's laughter wasn't stepping on lines all the time.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:11 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Well, I was also caught up in all the hype as well. Maybe because my childhood was kind of shitty, but I don't really have any particular nostalgia for that time. Well, maybe for some stuff, but there's plenty of stuff I liked as a kid that I just don't care about anymore. While there's some stuff that I still like and I'm glad to have grown up because I understand it better. I also got a little excited to own the VHS tape for TPM back then, because it was nearly a year after it had come out, and the DVD as well. But a little while after that and watching the original trilogy again, it was when I realized that it wasn't a good movie. There's tons of things about it that are terrible, but I don't hate it. I prefer to throw my vitrol towards other movies, despite how bad TPM or the rest of the prequels may be. Again, I don't regret any of those viewings, especially since most were with my family and Star Wars is like a bonding thing between all of us, even if my mom is the only one that likes all of them.

And sorry, Godziller, but Age of Ultron just doesn't do it for me. I don't think I've ever spent a total of 4 and a half hours being so frustrated in a movie theater. The pacing is actually quite good for a while, but the movie just dies in the farm scene.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:35 am 

To each their own.

Anyway, I watched Orson Welles' The Trial. Very good, surprising no one. I recommend it if you're in the mood for some existential terror.

Also, I watched Kung Fury on youtube a couple days ago which was great.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 751, 752, 753, 754, 755, 756, 757 ... 760  Next