WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum
http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/forum/

Movie are you currently watching or the last movie you saw
http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2047
Page 755 of 760

Author:  NiteOwl [ Sun May 31, 2015 9:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Movie are you currently watching or the last movie you s

Godziller66 wrote:
To each their own.

Anyway, I watched Orson Welles' The Trial. Very good, surprising no one. I recommend it if you're in the mood for some existential terror.



Is that the one with Kyle Maclachlan?
If so, I have that movie and never watched it.

Edit:

She-Wolves of the Wasteland - (so-far) 6.5/10
A movie that lives up to it's poster.
It's a post-apocalyptic, babe-fest, with lots of shooting, nudity, stabbing, running, and desert buggy chases.
Gloriously gratuitous 80's cinematic B-movie junk food. They also did a good job with sets and whatnot, despite it looking pretty cheap they managed to create some convincingly atmospheric settings.

Prometheus - 7/10
Great acting, visuals, themes, and score- but the movie is lousy with sub par writing and shitty supporting characters.
Having said that, I'm enjoying a lot more than I have in the past.

2nd edit:

I'm just movie hopping today I guess.
The Mummy - 8/10
Fun, creepy, and holds up exceptionally well.

Author:  Godziller66 [ Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:16 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Movie are you currently watching or the last movie you s

NiteOwl wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:
To each their own.

Anyway, I watched Orson Welles' The Trial. Very good, surprising no one. I recommend it if you're in the mood for some existential terror.



Is that the one with Kyle Maclachlan?
If so, I have that movie and never watched it.

No, it's way earlier. It stars Anthony Perkins.

Anyway, I watched all three Human Centipede films on the silver screen. Not bad, actually.

Author:  NiteOwl [ Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Movie are you currently watching or the last movie you s

Watched Fury Road again. Dat OST though.

Author:  NiteOwl [ Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Movie are you currently watching or the last movie you s

I'm like halfway through Jupiter Ascending
It's complicated as all hell. Not complex, complicated.
But it's also fun. I'll be damned, it's actually really fun.
Kinda silly, but fun.

Author:  TheMovieDude [ Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Movie are you currently watching or the last movie you s

The Last Five Years - 7/10
I actually feel tempted to give it a lower rating. Anna Kendrick and Jeremy Jordan are really good in their roles and everyone knows Kendrick has quite the singing voice. The story's approach to romance and people moving further away from each other and having to sacrifice their careers or their love for each other for success rings honest and true-to-life. Unfortunately, that's why it's sad the movie never feels like it goes under the surface. I never got the sense of why the characters didn't fight more for each other or why they gave up so easily, or why did they even fall in love. I vaguely remember the show from recordings, and I've read this is a pretty direct adaptation of it. However, the show was only two people and theater sometimes can bring an intimacy that no other medium can achieve, but even film can emphasize that in a different way and that's part of the film's problem. Richard LaGravenese's direction never feels comfortable in either going for scope or intimacy. It seems like it wants it both ways and it never quite gets the job done. The movie is worth it for the performance and for its sincere approach to romance, but it doesn't deliver as well as it should.

Lifted - 7/10
An engaging story with solid performances, with directing by Lexi Alexander that shows that even at the lowest budget, a movie can work if it's made by someone who knows to work the best out of the barest of elements and has an understanding of the language of cinema. And although I didn't like the hip-hopized version of Knocking on Heaven's Door, the music is pretty solid and catchy. I've heard some people complain that the kid's singing wasn't that great and it's true, it isn't, but it feels real. Like these are folks I can imagine seeing at a local contest and doing really well there, and with potential. All that said, I feel like the story lost momentum towards the end and some things aren't pushed as hard as I think they should have. Probably because the movie was meant for Christian audiences (I think), a lot of elements feel protracted and although Alexander's directorial talent is something to admire, her attention to detail seemed to wane towards the end, maybe for budget or God knows what other restrictions, but certain details of the mise-en-scene come off as jarring or lazy. Overall, it's almost a good little movie. I really wouldn't turn away anyone from watching it, but it didn't fully work for me.

The Conjuring - 8/10
Scary, poignant, skillfully made. Perhaps too troubling in ways that feel unintentional but this is just a really cool horror movie that unlike so many goes deep into the humanity of the characters.

Author:  Godziller66 [ Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Movie are you currently watching or the last movie you s

Had a John Carpenter movie marathon with a lot of friends yesterday. We couldn't hit all the high points of his career, but we watched some good ones.

Assault on Precinct 13, Escape From New York, They Live, Big Trouble in Little China, and The Thing. All pretty great at what they set out to do.

Author:  Godziller66 [ Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Movie are you currently watching or the last movie you s

Went to see The Invisible Man Returns starring Vincent Price. Really good, especially the special effects which are amazing for the time. It's astounding how advanced shooting a guy who isn't really there can be.

Edit: Also, watched Darkman and Doomsday Book, a sci-fi anthology film. Both very good.

Author:  WJK [ Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Movie are you currently watching or the last movie you s

i finally saw age of ultron

that was pretty damn good, i'd go see it again but the theater isn't playing it anymore, today was the last day.

Author:  Godziller66 [ Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Movie are you currently watching or the last movie you s

There's a pretty cool colored version of A Trip to the Moon on Netflix with an interesting modern/synth score. I really recommend it, especially since it's only fifteen minutes of your time.

Author:  TheMovieDude [ Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Movie are you currently watching or the last movie you s

Jurassic World - 8/10 (I might rate higher or lower upon rewatch)

What a blast. As I said on Facebook, this is like a big budget version of the movies I'd make as a kid with action figures. It doesn't let up on anything; it puts up the best things from the other three movies and puts in a bit of its own spark into it.

Author:  Godziller66 [ Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:18 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Movie are you currently watching or the last movie you s

Watched Mad Max Fury Road a third time and it's still great.

As for Jurassic World, I'm surprised Oscar thought so much of it. I felt like the first half was formulaic and even boring even though I did appreciate them at least attempting character development and a slow progression of the plot. It was only later when ridiculous stuff started happening that I felt like I was having a good time. It ended strongly, but I wouldn't jump at the chance to see it again. I think half of it is fun and the other half is just there.

Author:  TheMovieDude [ Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Movie are you currently watching or the last movie you s

Godziller66 wrote:
Watched Mad Max Fury Road a third time and it's still great.

As for Jurassic World, I'm surprised Oscar thought so much of it. I felt like the first half was formulaic and even boring even though I did appreciate them at least attempting character development and a slow progression of the plot. It was only later when ridiculous stuff started happening that I felt like I was having a good time. It ended strongly, but I wouldn't jump at the chance to see it again. I think half of it is fun and the other half is just there.


I just really liked seeing the park working and all that implied. Plus, all the Owen stuff with the raptors was really cool. And I'm still surprised you thought so much of Age of Ultron. ;)

Author:  Godziller66 [ Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Movie are you currently watching or the last movie you s

TheMovieDude wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:
Watched Mad Max Fury Road a third time and it's still great.

As for Jurassic World, I'm surprised Oscar thought so much of it. I felt like the first half was formulaic and even boring even though I did appreciate them at least attempting character development and a slow progression of the plot. It was only later when ridiculous stuff started happening that I felt like I was having a good time. It ended strongly, but I wouldn't jump at the chance to see it again. I think half of it is fun and the other half is just there.


I just really liked seeing the park working and all that implied. Plus, all the Owen stuff with the raptors was really cool. And I'm still surprised you thought so much of Age of Ultron. ;)

I was going to say, it strikes me as weird that you thought that sucked, but not this. I don't know, to each his own, but I dare say I felt that literally nothing interesting happened in the first half and maybe some of the way into the second. There were certainly themes and ideas present, but they weren't developed in the slightest.

I appreciate the time taken out to develop characters, identify a world, and build to the action, but I don't know that it did either of the first two, at least, well. I feel like the movie took a whole lot of time to do a whole lot of nothing.

Actually, a caveat, the raptor training scene was pretty cool, but largely I stand behind my point.

Author:  TheMovieDude [ Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Movie are you currently watching or the last movie you s

Godziller66 wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:
Watched Mad Max Fury Road a third time and it's still great.

As for Jurassic World, I'm surprised Oscar thought so much of it. I felt like the first half was formulaic and even boring even though I did appreciate them at least attempting character development and a slow progression of the plot. It was only later when ridiculous stuff started happening that I felt like I was having a good time. It ended strongly, but I wouldn't jump at the chance to see it again. I think half of it is fun and the other half is just there.


I just really liked seeing the park working and all that implied. Plus, all the Owen stuff with the raptors was really cool. And I'm still surprised you thought so much of Age of Ultron. ;)

I was going to say, it strikes me as weird that you thought that sucked, but not this. I don't know, to each his own, but I dare say I felt that literally nothing interesting happened in the first half and maybe some of the way into the second. There were certainly themes and ideas present, but they weren't developed in the slightest.

I appreciate the time taken out to develop characters, identify a world, and build to the action, but I don't know that it did either of the first two, at least, well. I feel like the movie took a whole lot of time to do a whole lot of nothing.

Actually, a caveat, the raptor training scene was pretty cool, but largely I stand behind my point.


I don't think Age of Ultron sucked, it was just overly underwhelming (It's almost tied with Furious 7 for worst movie I've seen this year and that one isn't all that bad either) I've gone into detail as to why I thought that. And I just disagree that things were underdeveloped in Jurassic World, they were developed at the level you might expect from what's essentially a survival adventure movie.

Author:  t3cii [ Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Movie are you currently watching or the last movie you s

"Enemy"

Well that was something.

By the way, I've asked this in the Mad Men thread, but why is it now impossible to post images here?

Author:  Godziller66 [ Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Movie are you currently watching or the last movie you s

TheMovieDude wrote:
I don't think Age of Ultron sucked, it was just overly underwhelming (It's almost tied with Furious 7 for worst movie I've seen this year and that one isn't all that bad either)

Oscar, you're really confusing me. How in the world did you dislike Furious 7, but loved Jurassic World? They're both so fucking stupid, they're amazing. The only difference is Jurassic World is only that for approximately half the movie and the other half is just mediocre.

t3cii wrote:
"Enemy"

Well that was something.

Did you like it?

t3cii wrote:
By the way, I've asked this in the Mad Men thread, but why is it now impossible to post images here?

Because this place is a shambles.

Author:  TheMovieDude [ Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Movie are you currently watching or the last movie you s

I didn't dislike Furious Seven, I just didn't think it was particularly good, and I didn't really enjoy it all that much. It was still entertaining and there's cool stuff in it. If it makes you feel any better, I think Furious Six was better and actually good. I watched Jurassic World again, and yup, it holds up.

Author:  Godziller66 [ Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Movie are you currently watching or the last movie you s

TheMovieDude wrote:
I didn't dislike Furious Seven, I just didn't think it was particularly good, and I didn't really enjoy it all that much. It was still entertaining and there's cool stuff in it. If it makes you feel any better, I think Furious Six was better and actually good. I watched Jurassic World again, and yup, it holds up.

I mean, alright. I guess Jurassic World is a bit like Avatar for me. The difference being I actually enjoyed some of Jurassic World.

Author:  t3cii [ Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Movie are you currently watching or the last movie you s

Godziller66 wrote:
Did you like it?


It's hard to say. It's a very slow burn, almost David Lynch like film. I think Jake Gyllenhaal gave a good performance (performances), but it's the type of film where I'm kind of left unsure of how I felt about it.

Author:  Godziller66 [ Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Movie are you currently watching or the last movie you s

t3cii wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:
Did you like it?


It's hard to say. It's a very slow burn, almost David Lynch like film. I think Jake Gyllenhaal gave a good performance (performances), but it's the type of film where I'm kind of left unsure of how I felt about it.

That makes sense, it's a pretty odd beast.

Page 755 of 760 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/