WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 753, 754, 755, 756, 757, 758, 759, 760  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:54 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Kingsman: The Secret Service
8/10
I expected more, but it's a fun movie and I still think Matthew Vaughn is kind of a genius.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:58 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Stoker - 8/10
Fucked up and creepy. I dug it.

The Raid 2- 8/10
I feel like I slept through the dialogue scenes and honestly, the plot felt like "Infernal Affairs with martial arts", yet it was still enjoyable and very well made. I think these movies aren't really for me, but they're fun to watch.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:32 pm 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

TheMovieDude wrote:
Stoker - 8/10
Fucked up and creepy. I dug it.

The Raid 2- 8/10
I feel like I slept through the dialogue scenes and honestly, the plot felt like "Infernal Affairs with martial arts", yet it was still enjoyable and very well made. I think these movies aren't really for me, but they're fun to watch.

The Raid 2 is almost a chore to sit through more than once.
Whereas I'm dying to see Stoker again.

I think 8's are fair for both.

I'll be right back. I gotta go see a man about a mule.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:21 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Inside Out - 9/10
The best Pixar film in five years (Seven years, if you want to get REALLY picky) and the best film of the year so far.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:53 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

TheMovieDude wrote:
Inside Out - 9/10
The best Pixar film in five years (Seven years, if you want to get REALLY picky) and the best film of the year so far.

Nice. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Oh, by the way, I found someone who doesn't like Detention. That's a first.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:50 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Godziller66 wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:
Inside Out - 9/10

I've met a few people who don't. That doesn't really surprise me, it's not the most accessible film.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:51 pm 

TheMovieDude wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:
Inside Out - 9/10

I've met a few people who don't. That doesn't really surprise me, it's not the most accessible film.

It really caught me off guard. I know it's very polarizing among critics, but ALL my friends love it except him.

Anyway, I watched The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst, the six part documentary from HBO. It is fascinating. It's pretty clear that Bob Durst is responsible for murder thrice over from the get go, but the point isn't so much "Did he do it?" as it is examining his character and history and the social dynamics he had with his victims and those left behind. It really provides a lot of insight into the criminal mind and represents the dichotomy between a seemingly nice, relatively normal guy, and what a person can and will do when backed into a corner or confronted with something they believe to be our of their control. I highly recommend it if you're into true crime.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:39 pm 

Dune (Sci-Fi channel Miniseries, first episode) - 6.5/10

Faithfulness be damned, this adheres no more to the book than David Lynch's Dune did.
The difference is between the tone and the page.
Lynch's version preserved the tone, whereas this version preserves many of the literal scenes and bits of dialog from the book that Lynch breezed over.
This is all moot though because it still skips over a ton of stuff.

Paul in Lynch's Dune was wide-eyed, curious, and excited.
Paul in this one is angry, irritable, and frustrated.
Paul in the book was MUCH more like the Paul in Lynch's movie.
That's my biggest gripe. Paul is nearly unlikable in this movie. He's like a bitchier version of Luke Skywalker.

Granted, this version is not without merit, and I think it'll pay off in the subsequent 'episodes'.
William Hurt makes more of an impact as Duke Leto than Jurgen Prochnow did, and the lady playing Jessica does an admirable job.
Having said that, people endlessly criticize Lynch's casting but again, I think he casted actors that fit the tone of the characters on the page, even if they looked nothing like their literary counterparts. Overall, Lynch's version is still superior to me in that aspect. Patrick Stewart as Gurney Halleck was just... perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:05 am 

Well, Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie is certainly entertaining if you like that type of humor.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:11 am 

Chappie - 5/10

A drag. Bursting at the seams with bullshit psuedoscience and the laziest plot shortcuts I've ever seen, Chappie fails all over the place.
It could've been a cool Short Circuit-like movie, but it refuses to stick to that angle, and then tries to tackle RoboCop-like themes, but doesn't stick to that,
and then mixes it all in with these gangster characters who anchor the plot in some way. They have potential to be interesting, if they were the sole focus of the movie... but they're not.
The movie is going in too many different directions and as a direct result never quite finds the footing it needed to work.

Eliminate any one group of characters, and this movie could've worked better. I find myself eager to revisit the RoboCop remake, and i,Robot after this. And that's seriously saying something.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:52 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Spring - 7/10
I think I liked it? I don't know, I spent almost half of the movie kind of bored by it, I thought the main character just wasn't very interesting. Then things REALLY got going and I was quite into it, but I thought I was more or less watching a different version of "Let the right one in", yet, in a strange way, the movie still won me over. Louise was very interesting as a character and the mood of it is intoxicating. The ending came off as a bit abrupt, but still I think I can recommend it if you want something interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:58 am 

TheMovieDude wrote:
Spring - 7/10
I think I liked it? I don't know, I spent almost half of the movie kind of bored by it, I thought the main character just wasn't very interesting. Then things REALLY got going and I was quite into it, but I thought I was more or less watching a different version of "Let the right one in", yet, in a strange way, the movie still won me over. Louise was very interesting as a character and the mood of it is intoxicating. The ending came off as a bit abrupt, but still I think I can recommend it if you want something interesting.

I fucking loved this movie.
Though you really do have to go into it with zero expectations about what you're gonna see.
Then it's just a romance movie with horror elements instead of a horror movie with a romantic subplot.
The distinction is very important.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:36 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

NiteOwl wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:
Spring - 7/10

Though you really do have to go into it with zero expectations about what you're gonna see.
Then it's just a romance movie with horror elements instead of a horror movie with a romantic subplot.

I agree. I may check it out again and see what my reaction would be. I'm interesting in seeing the other movie those guys made, "Resolution."

Anyway, I also watched:
Adventures in Babysitting - 8/10
I don't think I have ever seen this before, but I really enjoyed this. It's fun, it uses Chicago fantastically as a location, and the cast is just great.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:24 pm 

TheMovieDude wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:
Spring - 7/10

I agree. I may check it out again and see what my reaction would be. I'm interesting in seeing the other movie those guys made, "Resolution."

Anyway, I also watched:
I don't think I have ever seen this before, but I really enjoyed this. It's fun, it uses Chicago fantastically as a location, and the cast is just great.

Resolution is really intriguing and fascinating, but Spring appealed to me a lot more. I prefer deeper emotions as opposed to raw... plotting? I guess? I recommend Triangle instead.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:54 pm 

NiteOwl wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:
Spring - 7/10

Anyway, I also watched:

Resolution is really intriguing and fascinating, but Spring appealed to me a lot more. I prefer deeper emotions as opposed to raw... plotting? I guess? I recommend Triangle instead.

*sticks head up in back* I don't!

I liked Triangle, but I liked Resolution more.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:36 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Triangle is a pretty solid flick.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:05 pm 

Godziller66 wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:
Spring - 7/10

Anyway, I also watched:

*sticks head up in back* I don't!

I liked Triangle, but I liked Resolution more.

Triangle was just more. Resolution had a neater idea, but it wasn't nearly as gripping.
It was two dudes in a log cabin for most of the movie, wigging out over shit. I mean, it's a slow build but still.
Can we at least agree, that Pontypool is better than all of these?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:03 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

NiteOwl wrote:
Triangle was just more. Resolution had a neater idea, but it wasn't nearly as gripping.
It was two dudes in a log cabin for most of the movie, wigging out over shit. I mean, it's a slow build but still.

I can't speak for that one. I haven't seen it. It sounds interesting too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:31 am 

NiteOwl wrote:

Yes.

Also, I just watched Spring. I thought it was pretty good.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:12 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Godziller66 wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:

Yes.

Also, I just watched Spring. I thought it was pretty good.

I thought you had already watched it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 753, 754, 755, 756, 757, 758, 759, 760  Next