WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 754, 755, 756, 757, 758, 759, 760  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:12 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

TheMovieDude wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
Can we at least agree, that Pontypool is better than all of these?

Yes.

Also, I just watched Spring. I thought it was pretty good.

I thought you had already watched it.

Nope. In my other post, I was comparing Triangle to Resolution, not Spring.

Anyway, I re-watched Se7en, Zodiac, and End of Evangelion. All still great, though I'm not sure Zodiac is a great group watch.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:08 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Godziller66 wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:

Yes.

Anyway, I re-watched Se7en, Zodiac, and End of Evangelion. All still great, though I'm not sure Zodiac is a great group watch.

I'm not sure if any of them would be a great goup watch. Maybe Se7en. EOE only if you're all Evangelion fans.

EDIT: I watched Wild Tales. I'm always weary of overrating movies, but this was just wow. Maybe the best movie from last year, but also the best movie I've seen in a long, long time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:06 am 

TheMovieDude wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:

Yes.

I'm not sure if any of them would be a great goup watch. Maybe Se7en. EOE only if you're all Evangelion fans.

Se7en was perfectly fine in a group. As for EoE, I only watched it with a friend who I was re-watching the series with. He'd never seen it before and boy, it was an experience. Also, I really appreciated Eva as a whole more on a re-watch as well.

P.S. Watched Inside Out and Tomorrowland. I thought Inside Out was great and I thought Tomorrowland was extremely flawed, but engaging and substantial.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:12 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Into the Night - 7/10 maybe a 7.5/10
The first half of the film is too slow. It kind of works because it does a good job capturing the mood of insomnia and being out late at night in a big city like LA. But in the second hour, things go crazy and fun. Jeff Goldblum does a fine job, as does the entire cast, really, which is off-the-hook with cameos.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:34 am 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

Ex Machina - 7/10

Does what it does well, but it didn't blow me away.
I'd seen a lot of these concepts at play in The Machine, which to me, had a more satisfying ending.
Now, granted satisfying and fitting aren't always the same thing. Ex Machina was haunting and thought provoking, while The Machine was just popcorn entertainment in the end, albeit smart popcorn entertainment.

Edit:

Yojimbo - 9/10
This was fucking great.

I'll be right back. I gotta go see a man about a mule.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:01 am 

Justice League: Gods and Monsters

A story about gazing into the abyss and whether or not you can crawl out of it. Can monsters become heroes? Can they be one and the same? I really anticipated this film because it wasn't based on a pre-existing story. I also recommend the short machinima animations and digital prequel comics, though they are not necessary to experiencing the movie.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:08 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Ex-Machina - 8/10
Eh, I really wanted to like this more than I did. It's beautifully shot, designed, the acting is excellent and the characters and their dynamics as well. There's also certain interesting ideas behind it that were nicely explored. But I think the story had potential to do more. I thought it was an interesting movie overall, but it left me feeling underwhelmed.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:47 pm 

TheMovieDude wrote:
Ex-Machina - 8/10
Eh, I really wanted to like this more than I did. It's beautifully shot, designed, the acting is excellent and the characters and their dynamics as well. There's also certain interesting ideas behind it that were nicely explored. But I think the story had potential to do more. I thought it was an interesting movie overall, but it left me feeling underwhelmed.

Yeah same, but 8/10 = "great" to me, whereas 7/10 feels like the more appropriate "Eh."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:16 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

NiteOwl wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:
Ex-Machina - 8/10

Yeah same, but 8/10 = "great" to me, whereas 7/10 feels like the more appropriate "Eh."

7 for me is above average, with some cool elements but big flaws.
8 is a solid, good movie but too flawed to be great.
9 is very good to great.
10 is an absolute masterpiece or classic, an essential film.

Ex-Machina is solid, I was engaged with it throughout and excited to see where it could go. The feeling of "Eh" is more connected to the ending. I just don't think the movie left me with much afterward, which is a shame because there's a lot of stuff to like about it. It may also be in reaction to the hype. I kept hearing how this was one of the best films of the year so far, and it just didn't do much for me. It's good, I did like it but expected and was left wanting more.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:55 pm 

TheMovieDude wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:
Ex-Machina - 8/10

9 is very good to great.

Ex-Machina is solid, I was engaged with it throughout and excited to see where it could go. The feeling of "Eh" is more connected to the ending. I just don't think the movie left me with much afterward, which is a shame because there's a lot of stuff to like about it. It may also be in reaction to the hype. I kept hearing how this was one of the best films of the year so far, and it just didn't do much for me. It's good, I did like it but expected and was left wanting more.

See, I still think the 7 fits. I couldn't describe it as anything but cool, with big flaws.
And it did have big flaws. After the halfway point the movie started getting odd (and not in a good way) clearly pointing towards an ending that would be resolved solely in the realm of physical conflict, leaving most of it's bigger themes by the wayside in favor of that shitty ending. I really wouldn't watch it again. any movie I give an 8 out of 10 to usually indicates I liked it enough to see it again.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:10 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

NiteOwl wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:
Ex-Machina - 8/10

9 is very good to great.

See, I still think the 7 fits. I couldn't describe it as anything but cool, with big flaws.
And it did have big flaws. After the halfway point the movie started getting odd (and not in a good way) clearly pointing towards an ending that would be resolved solely in the realm of physical conflict, leaving most of it's bigger themes by the wayside in favor of that shitty ending. I really wouldn't watch it again. any movie I give an 8 out of 10 to usually indicates I liked it enough to see it again.

I kind of agree with you, it just didn't bother me all that much. I think the movie needed to go beyond where it went. I liked stories set in contained places, but I think this one almost begged to go further. I wouldn't say the ending was shitty, I just thought "I really wish the movie could have gone on further." I don't really like to bring up replayability because there's tons of movies I say I'd watch again and never do, and most movies seem to leave me cold on repeat viewings, so I don't really account into it as something definitive.

I also watched:
It Follows
8/10
A creepy, fun first half is followed by a slow, aimless second half. I loved the style of the movie, the characters were fun, but the movie betrayed its own logic later on. The more I think about it, the more I like and understand the ending, but this is a movie that should've gotten scarier as it went along, not less so.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:50 pm 

Watched Antman. Sure was adequate.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:38 pm 

The Suicide Theory-A man hires a hitman to kill him when him trying to commit suicide himself doesn't seem to take. You can kind of guess where the story's going from miles away, but it's still very well done and very engaging. I really liked it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:55 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Poltergeist - 8/10
I hadn't seen this movie in a really long time and I liked it, but it wasn't quite the ride I was hoping for. It got a bit slow in spots and a few of the effects don't quite hold up today. I can see why people argue that Tobe Hooper didn't really direct the movie, because it does have Spielberg's fingerprints all over: The widescreen, low-angle cinematography, the "awe" shots, etc. But regardless, it's very solidly directed in a way that the movies made by the masters of the form back in those days that you very rarely see now. Even if now it isn't all that scary (although there are plenty of creepy moments), it's a fun movie and the rare scary movie where you actually care about the characters in a way where they don't just seem as cannon fodder.

X-Men: Days of Future Past (The Rogue Cut) - 9/10
I already loved the theatrical cut, but the Rogue Cut is an improvement that provides a fuller, richer film with better pacing and deeper glimpses into the characters and their relationships, not to mention it fixes a few gaps and holes that were present in the theatrical cut. Really, what a good movie.

Temporada de Patos (Duck Season) - 9/10
A little more than ten years later and this movie has held up really well, to the point where I think I could call it a modern classic of Mexican Cinema. As it was when it came out, I'm sure it'll continue being a divisive film because it's one of those movies where nothing huge happens, not to mention its slow-pace. At the beginning it may seem like the kind of movie that's out to piss you off, similar to "Elephant." It remains one of my favorites because it's so simple, and life affirming in a way very few films are. It's funny and very true to life, and also graciously crafted.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:30 pm 
Tired of Earth.

kingsman: the secret service - 8/10

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:22 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Zombi/Zombie 2 - 7/10
The plot and scenes just seem to be an excuse to have zombies munching on people, extending to some of the outright dumbest characters I've seen on a movie. Yet, it's entertaining and outright horrifying in spots. The blood and gore effects are fantastic. Keep in mind that I decided to watch the Spanish dub because it's what I came across and in these kinds of movies, the acting kind of sucks so it may be better than the original.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:28 am 

TheMovieDude wrote:
Zombi/Zombie 2 - 7/10
The plot and scenes just seem to be an excuse to have zombies munching on people, extending to some of the outright dumbest characters I've seen on a movie. Yet, it's entertaining and outright horrifying in spots. The blood and gore effects are fantastic. Keep in mind that I decided to watch the Spanish dub because it's what I came across and in these kinds of movies, the acting kind of sucks so it may be better than the original.

I think the original language is Italian anyways so it's whatever.

I like that movie alot, it was fun, but yeah I agree with your assessment.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:21 pm 

Watched The Silence of the Lambs and the first episode of Hannibal with a couple of friends.

Great stuff, obviously.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:44 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Paper Towns - 8/10
I was a bit scared of what was to come after the first 15 minutes or so. I felt that the movie's take on the character of Margot was just wrong, and that there was little to no chemistry between her and Quentin. Thankfully, the movie really picks up later on and it becomes one of the better teen movies I've seen. Although there are oddly misguided moments throughout, especially when compared to the book, it's a sweet, funny and emotional film with plenty of food for thought at the end. I had already read the book, but the movie almost left me crying. Also, it has some of the best scenes in a movie this year so far. If you were around 10 years old in the late 90s or at the beginning of this century, there's one scene you will absolutely love.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:28 pm 
Tired of Earth.

terminator genisys - 7/10

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 754, 755, 756, 757, 758, 759, 760  Next