WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 755, 756, 757, 758, 759, 760  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:46 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

World of Tomorrow-It's only sixteen minutes long, but it's simultaneously one of the cutest and saddest pieces of fiction I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:55 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Whip It - 8/10
Formulaic? Maybe. But very entertaining, Ellen Page is and looks amazing in this movie, great characters, great soundtrack. I really enjoyed this movie. Drew Barrymore should direct more.

Jack Reacher - 8/10
Engaging and very well directed, the character of Reacher is fascinating. Also, awesome awesome cast.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:50 pm 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

Sanjuro - 9/10
Loved it.

House (1977) - 8.5/10
Loved it.

Bout to try and re-watch The Cell and Virtuosity tonight.
Two longtime faves of mine that just hit blu ray.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:23 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Going through the Mission: Impossible series right now. The first film was enjoyably stupid, but I gave up on the second one halfway through. Dear God above, did that one suck.

I've got numbers three and four to watch tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:26 am 

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Going through the Mission: Impossible series right now. The first film was enjoyably stupid, but I gave up on the second one halfway through. Dear God above, did that one suck.

I've got numbers three and four to watch tomorrow.

Finally someone on here who agrees #2 is horrible.
It's like a really bad parody of Brosnan era Bond that has no idea it's a parody. Ugh.
I love the first, third and fourth movies though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:19 am 

The Hunger - 7.5/10

I don't really have anything bad to say about this movie. It was interesting and fun, but I also wasn't giving it my undivided attention.
I would look up every now and then and see David Bowie turning into an old man, a monkey decaying, people getting cut, stabbed, bitten, blood splatter, sex, lesbian sex, more killing, or whatever.
It was crazy and extremely atmospheric. A very colorful film with a somber tone. Classy and sleazy all at the same time.
Nothing overly special, but a pleasant treat nonetheless.

--

Virtuosity - 7.5/10

Watched this the other day and hot damn, Russell Crowe is a force of nature in this flick.
He's so animated. He's crazy and sadistic in a way that's usually reserved for comic book movie villains.
The production design is sleek, and there's some very high concept ideas at play here, but in the end it's a basic cop vs. killer movie and little else.
It's almost not worth mentioning the rest of the cast, they're all stock characters. Well acted, but who cares?
Fun and crazy, but nothing to write home about. Despite all that, I have a massive weak spot for this movie. I absolutely love it.
It's right up there with Deep Rising for me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:57 pm 

Fantastic Four. The ideas and general concept are solid, but the movie sort of starts to fall apart halfway through. It focuses far too much of its time on the origin at the expense of plot and character development.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:44 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Pontypool - 7/10
Very well made, fun, scary, funny, imaginative, great performances (It made me think that McHattie should've given more to do with his role as Hollis), and although it does kind of fall apart in the 2nd half, this is one of the most enjoyable and creative takes on the zombie genre that I've watched.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:58 pm 

1990: The Bronx Warriors - 7.5/10

Fun, creative and colorful, but at times it can feel oddly slow.

--

Escape from the Bronx - 7.5/10

A different brand of crazy than it's predecessor, but fun nonetheless.
High marks for the gore and non-stop explosions, but demerits for lacking the creativity and colorful nature the first movie had.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:39 am 

Got a group of friends to watch Jacob's Ladder and Mulholland Drive. Good times.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:16 pm 

The Prestige - 8/10

No one can deny how well crafted this movie is, but just like a magic trick... after you know the secret, it's a little less impressive.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:37 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

NiteOwl wrote:
The Prestige - 8/10

No one can deny how well crafted this movie is, but just like a magic trick... after you know the secret, it's a little less impressive.

For me, it's one of those movies that the more I watch, the more I like it. It has a fairly complicated plot and storytelling, but it's well-streamlined and constructed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:30 am 

Wet Hot American Summer

Extremely fun and hilarious.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:05 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

John Carter: 7/10
I loved a lot of things about the movie. I honestly think it could've been saved in the editing room, because essentially what ends up killing the movie is a lot of poorly timed moments and scenes. Also, while the movie in general is visually stunning, I got the sense that Stanton and co. weren't as comfortable in the Mars scenes, which leads to dodgy-looking effects. Still, I'm glad I watched it and I kind of feel bad I missed it on the big screen, but it's the kind of movie that should have been better.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:47 pm 

TheMovieDude wrote:
I loved a lot of things about the movie. I honestly think it could've been saved in the editing room, because essentially what ends up killing the movie is a lot of poorly timed moments and scenes. Also, while the movie in general is visually stunning, I got the sense that Stanton and co. weren't as comfortable in the Mars scenes, which leads to dodgy-looking effects. Still, I'm glad I watched it and I kind of feel bad I missed it on the big screen, but it's the kind of movie that should have been better.

I actually did see it in theaters.
I love this movie. Yeah, it's somewhat uneven at times, but I think it's old fashioned swashbuckling sense of adventure more than makes up for it. At first, I wanted to say it was an easy 8/10 for me, but... I think 7/10 isn't a bad score for it. I'd probably edge half a point because I like it so much. I've seen it several times at least. So yeah. Probably a 7.5/10 in my book.

Doctor Mordrid - 6.5/10
A breezy 75 minutes (WITH the end credits) is hard to complain about when they're this fun.
This is basically Jeffrey Combs as Doctor Strange in a Full Moon movie. It has eye catching sets and some fun special effects.
For once I kinda lament the obligatory nudity and bad language. This could've been easy to watch with my little brothers along the lines of Cannon's MOTU if it was just a little... cleaner. Because it really feels like a fun family friendly adventure otherwise.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:52 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

NiteOwl wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:

I actually did see it in theaters.
I love this movie. Yeah, it's somewhat uneven at times, but I think it's old fashioned swashbuckling sense of adventure more than makes up for it. At first, I wanted to say it was an easy 8/10 for me, but... I think 7/10 isn't a bad score for it. I'd probably edge half a point because I like it so much. I've seen it several times at least. So yeah. Probably a 7.5/10 in my book.

I really liked that about the movie, it does have an old fashioned swashbucking sense of adventure that I hadn't really felt since the first Pirates movie, that's why I enjoyed the first 20 minutes or so of the movie the most, Carter's escapades were so well shot and fun, and it was where Kitsch most owned the role IMO.

I just finished watching a beautiful 35mm print of The Beatles' Help! at a film festival and it was a blast. It runs out of steam towards the end, but it's a hilarious, creative, imaginative film that feels way ahead of its time. I really can't believe it's 50 years old.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:40 am 

Master of Disguise and Pain and Gain.

It's been a rough night.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:08 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Godziller66 wrote:

It's been a rough night.

Is Pain and Gain really that bad? What didn't you like about it?

I remember an anecdote from (I think) Dana Carvey saying that he likes to go see his movies, and that once, he bought a ticket to The Master of Disguise, wearing a hoodie and basically hiding himself. Then, when he walked into the theater, he took it off and realized that he was the only person about to watch the movie.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:30 pm 

TheMovieDude wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:

It's been a rough night.

I remember an anecdote from (I think) Dana Carvey saying that he likes to go see his movies, and that once, he bought a ticket to The Master of Disguise, wearing a hoodie and basically hiding himself. Then, when he walked into the theater, he took it off and realized that he was the only person about to watch the movie.

Pain and Gain wasn't horrible, but I got busy with something else about 3/4ths through and never finished it.
Take that for what you will.

Without Warning - 7/10
A solid and simple alien invader flick that apparently reminds a lot of people of Predator.
The hunter/prey theme is there but little else. The atmosphere in the climax is stunning and when the alien is finally revealed he looks fantastic and creepy.
In the wrong hands it could've looked so corny, but they pulled off a haunting look here, exceeding even my own expectations.
Surprisingly the movie also has a heck of a cast, featuring Martin Landau and Jack Palance. Fun stuff. Not great, but pretty fun.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:01 pm 

TheMovieDude wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:

It's been a rough night.

Pain and Gain is just kind of stupid. Surprise surprise. It's self-aware, but not in a smart way. The whole movie's basically just look at how stupid these criminals are while still trying to make you sympathize with them. The whole movie's a huge case of trying to have your cake and eat it too. Like when the camera's leering at models and bikini girls in an attempt to satirize vain body culture while also clearly trying to entice the viewer with the very thing it's making fun of. Also, Jesus, Michael Bay movies look bad. Same as Transformers, everyone looks orange and greasy. The highest compliment I could give it is that it's not boring, but Joe's testimony seems to refute even that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 755, 756, 757, 758, 759, 760  Next