WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:33 pm 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

Well this sounds very procedural. Hurm.

I'll be right back. I gotta go see a man about a mule.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:50 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

Holy shit... I can't believe I'm back in the forum.

Well, I do enjoy creativity wherever it can be found, but I also hope it's not a procedural. If it was more like The Wire, then I think I'd be satisfied.

Holy shit... I'm back in the forum.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:11 pm 
Tired of Earth.

I know, right?! It feels like coming home.

My first reaction is to think that the names and descriptions are faked. They feel so far removed from Watchmen that to call it an adaptation with these characters would be beyond the pale. Then again, why would the names and descriptions need to be faked? We already know the characters involved with Watchmen and what they're like. Maybe they're putting out the casting calls under the name of a fake project? Like they're pretending to cast for a totally different show that doesn't exist when they're really casting for Watchmen? I seem to recall Bad Robot doing something similar for casting TFA.

Sure, a police procedural in the world of Watchmen might be interesting, but it wouldn't be Watchmen. Here's hoping for more and better news soon.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:52 pm 

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
They feel so far removed from Watchmen that to call it an adaptation with these characters would be beyond the pale.

Maybe it's not even an adaptation at this point?

Like you said, police procedural in the world of Watchmen. Granted it's not "watchmen", but Gotham isn't "Batman" but it still gets advertised that way. (unfortunately)

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:02 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

One thing to bear in mind. If these really are legitimate, they'd still put out casting calls for the original characters. Still unseen. I'm going for "smokescreen".

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:11 pm 

AYBGerrardo wrote:
One thing to bear in mind. If these really are legitimate, they'd still put out casting calls for the original characters. Still unseen. I'm going for "smokescreen".

Most likely, I don't think the majority of people will feel excited about a Lindelof experiment with the "Watchmen universe"

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:40 pm 

Myself amongst them, surprising nobody.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:47 pm 

I do like Lindelof being "creative".

Sadly, I am also aware it's not the smartest thing for him to do, he's close to getting "Liefeld" reputation within the movie community.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:54 pm 

Speaking of Demon Lindelof...
Apparently he wrote a five page open letter to fans.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/05/22/damon-linde ... en-letter/

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:07 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Whoo boy. Where to start?

Damon Lindelof wrote:
I once said that if one were a true fan of something, they weren't allowed to hate it. A prominent writer took me to task for such heresy, arguing that just because one was the creator of a show, this did not permit them to pick and choose who was and wasn't a fan of it.

The writer went on to win a Pulitzer for television criticism. I went on to get snubbed by the Razzies for Prometheus.

I've gone on record multiple times about how much I hate Lindelof and his empty snake oil storytelling, but he won major points from me with that remark. He showed a lot of humility in this letter, and I respect that.

I'm also very glad to hear that white males will be a minority among the writers and producers. I'm sorry, but writing for female characters was never a strong point with Alan Moore, and I'd love to see what a crew of female creatives could bring to the two Silk Spectres. Moreover, the subtext is filled with commentary regarding sexuality, race, and so many other issues for a diverse writers' room to play with. Hell, the characters' surnames and backstories suggest that most if not all of them were borne of immigrant families. And in a way, this is very much a story about overcoming differences (see: Chapter XI, page 20).

Setting the story in the modern day would've been a terrible idea back in 2009, but it seems oddly appropriate now. Given the international tension, the looming threat of nuclear doomsday, and the ubiquitous comparisons between Trump and Nixon, I really do think this could actually work. In theory. Whether it works in execution will be something else entirely, and that's still frustratingly vague.

Lindelof made it clear that this would not be a direct adaptation. While I want to think that he was smart for steering clear of that losing battle, I'm left wondering what it will be. Not a reboot, a retread, a recreation, a reproduction, or a reboot. And it won't be a "sequel", though his biblical analogy tells me those quotation marks he put in are some kind of clue. But I don't know how he could make a story that takes place at any time after Watchmen without addressing the ambiguity of the ending, and God help him if he does that.

All the letter really made clear is this: If he fails and comes out with some unholy abomination, Lindelof has given us full permission to toss him and his TV show on the ash heap of history.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:31 pm 

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
If he fails and comes out with some unholy abomination, Lindelof has given us full permission to toss him and his TV show on the ash heap of history.

Hollywood's been trying to turn Watchmen into a broadly appealing hit one way or another since the comic first came out.
Now? They finally have the power to finish the job.
Ain't none of this gonna matter once that show is on the air. All the pre-hype complaints and bickering will just be dust.

And fanboys will still be the angriest dudes on the cinder.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:18 pm 

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
empty snake oil storytelling

I might not get over that :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:40 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

We got a cast starting to form:

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/watchme ... 202819966/

First two actors have collaborated with Lindelof before. Interesting that it notes "with King in the lead role". Not an ensemble piece then? Supports the idea that the characters we know aren't the main ones at all.