WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Anime Recommendations
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:13 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

I have recently become infatuated with watching Anime/Manga. I have never really delved into it before, but I am thinking about taking some in as soon as my work schedule is up and running.

Any recommendations what to series/ movies to start with? I am thinking along the lines of "Cowboy Bebop", "Ghost in the Shell", and "Akira".

Let the Anime begin!

Post subject: Re: Anime
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:22 pm 
Tired of Earth.

In order of importance:

Cowboy Bebop is not only recommended, it's mandatory. Akira and Ghost in the Shell are fine choices as well.

You should also get Princess Mononoke and at least one more work by Hayao Miyazaki.

Then there's Neon Genesis Evangelion. The Platinum Edition of the series DVDs came out not long ago, and there's a four-part movie series that's reimagining the original anime, so there's no better time to discover that masterpiece.

Another essential is Gundam. At least one Gundam movie or series should be on your shelf, preferably from the original UC continuity.

Escaflowne is also highly recommended.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:42 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

I think the "at least one more work by Hayao Miyazaki" should be "Spirited Away". I love his work.

"Cowboy Bebop" is fun, but I'd say "Ghost in the Shell" is mandatory. I must confess that I haven't seen "Akira" yet.

As for "Neon Genesis Evangelion", I'd say Curiosity Inc. is right calling it a masterpiece. Still, personally I'm having ambivalent feelings about it, especially after watching "End of Evangelion".

If you're into "Wizards, Elves and Dragons"-Fantasy, "Record of Lodoss War" is a definite must. If you're not, it's still a great, epic tale with just as great characters.

You should also take the into consideration the work of CLAMP. This group made Animes/Mangas like "X", "Tokyo Babylon", "Tsubasa", and "Cardcaptor Sakura" (+ many more).

My personal recommendation is "Monster", which I think is my personal favourite at the moment. The Anime is about 72-75 (not quite sure) episodes long, and tells the story of Dr. Kenzo Tenma, a young japanese surgeon, who's living and working in Germany. It starts in 1985, when Dr. Tenma makes a momentous decision, which changes his life in more ways than he could imagine. It's a really intoxicating thriller, in a realistic setting without (almost) any supernatural elements, and with probably the most authentic characters I have ever seen in any Anime. Besides, I love the lifelike way it's drawn, both characters and places. Exept for some minor details it's really Germany (where I happen to live, so I should know ^^).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:50 am 
The Watcher

I don't know if its considered Anime in the traditional sense, but Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away was great. Sort of a Japanese take on The Wizard of Oz/Alice in Wonderland.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:40 pm 
Minuteman

Evangelion is fantastic. It starts off as a generic mech anime, but about halfway through it turns into something much more interesting. ;)

Serial Experiments Lain is my personal favourite. Philosophical fun for all.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:57 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Thanks guys!

My sister and her now husband introduced me to "Cowboy Bebop"- a very disturbing episode with the bounty hunters going after a psyho-killer who bounced around like a mad-man, shooting everything in sight. Uffda.

I have seen "Princess Mononoke", actually when it first came out in theaters- great flick. Recently saw part of "Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade"; looked very gritty and surealistic. I need to finish it, of course.

I must admit, I have been catching episodes of "Avatar: The Last Airbender". For a Nickelodeon kid's show, this is pretty well done.

I must be regressing to twelve years old again. Goo goo.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:26 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

ManOWar wrote:
I must admit, I have been catching episodes of "Avatar: The Last Airbender". For a Nickelodeon kid's show, this is pretty well done.

I must be regressing to twelve years old again. Goo goo.

You are not alone, I've been watching Season 1 and 2 with some friends lately and it's really good, compared to most of the other Nickelodeon shows.
Feel's good to be young again sometimes, doesn't it? ^^

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:13 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

I wholeheartedly agree with all of Curiosity's suggestions. I would like to add to this growing list of anime goodness:

Ninja Scroll - an excellent piece, definitely a classic. 'He has fallen victim to the throat needle' is still one of my favorite anime lines to date...

Spriggan - also pretty good, a little off-center.

Outlaw Star - excellent series, a little old (coming up on it's 10 year mark) but worth it.

12 Kingdoms - a totally under looked series with an amazing albeit a bit complicated storyline. The characters are plentiful but well thought out and developed throughout the entire story. It's lengthy (50 episodes) but totally worth it. It also happens to have really cool music. This was originally a manga, but it was sadly never translated to English (as far as I know). Even though there are very few sub plots that are left open (which happens more times than naught in Anime - see below), this series delivers an epic storyline with rich character development.

Berserk - great series, open ended. It was a manga first, and the Dreamcast Game 'Sword of the Berserker' actually reveals more story and picks up where the series left off.

Honestly, Akira was great and all, but it didn't really blow my skirt up. It's pretty dated, and there are several other peices out there that are simply more enjoyable to watch. My intro to anime was a Fist of the North Star / Neon Genesis Evangelion one-two punch. I highly recommend both, the latter more so than the former. Fist was good because it was completely over the top and required total suspension of disbelief through most parts, even for anime. You'll know what I mean after you watch the scene that involves a building falling on the main character. That may seem like an 'Oh shit' moment, but he simply keeps walking, said building barely scuffing his Pumas.

One of the major problems I have with anime is that some pieces simply end with no resolution whatsoever. Take Blood - The Last Vampire. It introduces enigmatic characters, and promises riches in the form of a tantalizing story and interesting characters. It tickles the scrotum region, simulating feelings of trembling anticipation for what lies beyond the initial scenes. Like a fine apartif before a meal.

And then it's over. Credits.

You've been invited to dinner, sweet talked with the potential of an involved plot and deep character development. And just when the small talk ends and the conversation begins, you look up and realize you've been stiffed. You're now left unsatisfied by a lackluster meal and also left holding the check. Examples of this phenomenon are The Heroic Legend of Arislan and RG Veda. Stay away.

Much like America television as a whole, there's is a CrapTone of anime out there. But a lot of it is bad. Like whiny Episode 4 Luke Skywalker bad (who probably would have gotten bitch slapped and robbed by a male prostitute if he was allowed to waste time with his friends at Tosche Station, but that's a different story for a different time). Some are even creepy. Like the whole Traveller / Westley Crusher sexual deviance thing ('What a nice, tight, uniform Mr. Crusher... <drool>'). So the only real way to find those gems is to go balls to the wall and just start watching everything, bracing yourself for the steaming nuggets of shit that you're undoubted going to stumble upon.

That's my $.02

Post subject: Re: Anime Madness!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:22 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Was that "Anime Madness" advertisement always there at the top of these forum pages, or just when I brought up this topic?

Hurm. Must investigate further. Or rather start shopping. Hurm.

Post subject: Re: Anime Madness!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 pm 
The Watcher

ManOWar wrote:
Was that "Anime Madness" advertisement always there at the top of these forum pages, or just when I brought up this topic?

Hurm. Must investigate further. Or rather start shopping. Hurm.

I absolutely put that banner in here specifically because this topic started. I won't deny it. And nobody's bought a damn thing. Entertainment Earth is a great company. I signed up for their affiliate program because no banner ad company would have me and they rock and I buy stuff from them all the time. It will probably not be there when you read this, because somebody filnally approved my application. I'm excited, because now the site is generating upwards of $2 a day. Woohoo. See you all in the Bahamas suckers! (Seriously don't think you will make banner ad money off of a site, even if you get traffic, you will make shit)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:12 am 
Alien Squid Monster

Anime has been falling into my lap lately...

Just caught "Akira" last week by chance; it was pretty over-the-top, but even with a strange plot and wierd characters I was able to keep up. It really did a good job of setting up it's world. I've noticed that Anime as a genre LOVES to do that- have complete universes and worlds unto their own.

"Cowboy Bebop" is on Adult Swim and I've been catching episodes of that. I am still catching up with Spike and his background, but Faye is nice to look at and the episodes tend to stand on their own. If you understand the set up initially, that is.

I'll look for other the great suggestions you all have listed! Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:37 am 
So impotent.

Kinda late response, but I just joined the board! I'm a big fan of the Read or Die OVA - fun 3 episode adventure following a secret agent of the British Library in a semi-steampunk world, collecting books of power to avert a catastrophe. I've not read the following manga, and don't as highly recommend the later TV series. Just real good fun (in a Lupin III sort of way).

cheers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:57 am 
Alien Squid Monster

I just watched 'Metropolis' (a Film) the other night and enjoyed it a great deal. The visuals of the city were amazing!

I do recomend it.....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:21 am 
New Frontiersman

lavelle568 wrote:
Ninja Scroll - an excellent piece, definitely a classic. 'He has fallen victim to the throat needle' is still one of my favorite anime lines to date

you must watch ninja scroll, it's a classic!

Akira got me lost and confused, but it's a classic as well.

i highly recommend Trigun. watch it!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:29 pm 
Minuteman

Full metal alchemist Thats the only anime series I actually enjoy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:29 am 
So impotent.

Paprika.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:55 am 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

Akira and Spirited Away.
Both weird but that's the whole point of them!
Akira is outstanding in story, philosophy and, importantly, it revolutionised animation.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:51 pm 
Drinking a toast to absent friends.

Ordering the remastered cowboy bebop series now! comes out oct 5th. Is it better to read or watch death note?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:21 pm 
Drinking a toast to absent friends.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Cowboy Bebop is not only recommended, it's mandatory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcCZVgqisic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:42 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Ruruoni Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Trigun as well. CB and OS were already mentioned, Miyazaki and Akira as well. If you're into some heavy violence and fighting, give the Dragonball series a lookover. Watch the Vampire Hunter D movies as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next