WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:02 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

So, this isn't quite anime, but my friends and I have anime nights on Wednesday nights in the Summer. For a bit, though, we decided to marathon the newest Scooby Doo, Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated because one of our friends is a huge fan and wanted us to watch it together. And believe it or not, it's genuinely amazing.

This sums up a large part of why that is:

"The series pays extensive homage to the horror genre, drawing on many works from film, television and literature in both parodic and serious ways, from horror movie classics like A Nightmare on Elm Street, modern films such as Saw, television series Twin Peaks, and the works of H. P. Lovecraft. In particular, in the second season, the central story arc of the show evolves to heavily feature the use of Babylonian mythology, exploring the Anunnaki, the Babylonian and modern pseudo-scientific concepts of Nibiru, and the writings of Zecharia Sitchin. Other Hanna-Barbera characters occasionally guest-star, including Captain Caveman, Jabberjaw, Speed Buggy, The Funky Phantom, Blue Falcon and Dynomutt, and more."

The last episode we watched (44/52) paid tribute to Scott Pilgrim of all things. Also, Lewis Black is a recurring character. Also, everything.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:33 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Godziller66 wrote:
So, this isn't quite anime, but my friends and I have anime nights on Wednesday nights in the Summer. For a bit, though, we decided to marathon the newest Scooby Doo, Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated because one of our friends is a huge fan and wanted us to watch it together. And believe it or not, it's genuinely amazing.

"The series pays extensive homage to the horror genre, drawing on many works from film, television and literature in both parodic and serious ways, from horror movie classics like A Nightmare on Elm Street, modern films such as Saw, television series Twin Peaks, and the works of H. P. Lovecraft. In particular, in the second season, the central story arc of the show evolves to heavily feature the use of Babylonian mythology, exploring the Anunnaki, the Babylonian and modern pseudo-scientific concepts of Nibiru, and the writings of Zecharia Sitchin. Other Hanna-Barbera characters occasionally guest-star, including Captain Caveman, Jabberjaw, Speed Buggy, The Funky Phantom, Blue Falcon and Dynomutt, and more."

The last episode we watched (44/52) paid tribute to Scott Pilgrim of all things. Also, Lewis Black is a recurring character. Also, everything.

No Don Knotts special, not worth my time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:42 am 

WJK wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:

No Don Knotts special, not worth my time.

Don Knotts does have several cameos, however.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:32 pm 

Boogiepop Phantom

A short and interestingly executed psychological horror/mystery anime. It's pretty good and it wouldn't be a bad companion piece to one of my favorite anime, Paranoia Agent.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:03 pm 

So yeah, these are good.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:13 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

^ Pedophilia, pedophilia everywhere.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:29 am 

feliciano182 wrote:
^ Pedophilia, pedophilia everywhere.

Yeah? Well, come on and slam and welcome to Japan.

Also, no.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:52 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

As someone who's watched Angel Beats, I can tell you that yeah, you've got it all wrong, Feli.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:19 am 

I'm sure I do, though that is always the first reaction I get from seeing anime covers.

It seems like for the last two decades, the main marketing strategy to selling anime is an appeal to people with a taste for little girls or teenagers. That's not saying anything of the quality of any of those series of course.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:38 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Looking at those covers just makes me remember why I never really got into Anime on any serious level. The sameness of it all kind of bores me. Like that guy in that "Angel Beats!" cover. Rake thin, not quite short, not quite long haircut, tie undone, shirt untucked. Looking like basically every male character in an anime ever. The heroes always look so unmasculine. As for the girls, they're usually all these Lolita types, dressed as school girls. I think it all plays into the idea that Japan is a very kinky place, but I think it's actually somewhat repressed, considering their censorship laws.

Really, I just find it all a bit soulless, due to the sameness of the artwork. Technically well drawn, but also a bit rigid. Cracked also ran an interesting article a while back on the "myths of Japan", things people have come to assume about the Japanese. One of them being that anime or manga is really popular among adults, or that zany anime on television plays all the time. The article suggested, however, that most Japanese people saw it as for children, and that adults who were into it were considered weird. Kind of like how society views adults who collect action figures and read comic books.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:55 am 

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING HERE TALKING ABOUT ANIME :lol: ?!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:42 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

t3cii wrote:
Looking at those covers just makes me remember why I never really got into Anime on any serious level. The sameness of it all kind of bores me. Like that guy in that "Angel Beats!" cover. Rake thin, not quite short, not quite long haircut, tie undone, shirt untucked. Looking like basically every male character in an anime ever. The heroes always look so unmasculine. As for the girls, they're usually all these Lolita types, dressed as school girls. I think it all plays into the idea that Japan is a very kinky place, but I think it's actually somewhat repressed, considering their censorship laws.

Really, I just find it all a bit soulless, due to the sameness of the artwork. Technically well drawn, but also a bit rigid. Cracked also ran an interesting article a while back on the "myths of Japan", things people have come to assume about the Japanese. One of them being that anime or manga is really popular among adults, or that zany anime on television plays all the time. The article suggested, however, that most Japanese people saw it as for children, and that adults who were into it were considered weird. Kind of like how society views adults who collect action figures and read comic books.

Yes, for all the flack that anime seems to get in Japan, it's funny how their number 1 movie of all time is Spirited Away, right? Or how Evangelion 3.0 was one of the highest grossing movies of 2012 :P

But yeah, I see what you mean, I love anime but I do have problems getting into it because of the reasons you mention. My favorite anime shows tend to be the ones that subvert these kinds of tropes one way or another or ones where the animation and design are very creative. I really do appreciate how after the US seems to have gone full-blown CGI with their movies, in Japan they are still doing 2D animation with very high production values. They do cut corners hilariously sometimes, but they compensate it in other areas.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:15 pm 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

t3cii wrote:

Really, I just find it all a bit soulless, due to the sameness of the artwork. Technically well drawn, but also a bit rigid.

This...
yes.

I'm super selective with my anime.
Cowboy Bebop is my alltime favorite.
I've tried watching some other stuff...
but aside from actual feature films (and what I've seen of Paranoia Agent) I've yet to find more anime I really love.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:37 am 

So these are two cool anime currently airing.

I need to catch up a bit on these myself, but if you're looking for a fun time with high production value, look no further. Also notable for coming from the creators of Cowboy Bebop and Gurren Lagann respectively.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:54 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I have to add that after watching a few episodes of Watamote, that again, Feli was incredibly, horribly wrong. Although there are plenty of sexual references in it, but they're really played for laughs. And the style of it is surprisingly dynamic for a slice-of-life dark comedy. Very reminescent of Shaft Studio's work.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:47 pm 

TheMovieDude wrote:
I have to add that after watching a few episodes of Watamote, that again, Feli was incredibly, horribly wrong. Although there are plenty of sexual references in it, but they're really played for laughs. And the style of it is surprisingly dynamic for a slice-of-life dark comedy. Very reminescent of Shaft Studio's work.

What the hell is Watamote :lol: ?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:44 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

feliciano182 wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:

One the animes RJ posted about a while ago.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:54 pm 

"Pedophilia, pedophilia everywhere."

~Feliciano Won Atey Too, 2014

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:21 pm 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

Godziller66 wrote:
"Pedophilia, pedophilia everywhere."

~Feliciano Won Atey Too, 2014

I feel like this sometimes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:19 am 

TheMovieDude wrote:

One the animes RJ posted about a while ago.[/quote]

Well, I certainly didn't say it in this thread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next