WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:04 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

Broken Finger wrote:

The Surfer's voice from that show (as awesome as it looked, early 90s CGI and everything) is totally wrong, as well.

You're saying so many things lately that I agree with, Brooklyn.

It's making me uncomfortable.

You shouldn't have said anything... now I feel uncomfortable too...

Post subject: Re: The Avengers
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:13 pm 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
For the motion capture. If the person providing the body won't provide the voice, just get a large body and then get a quality voice actor to dub over.

Like they did with Vader.

Vader had no interesting "motion acting" though, Thanos is a big, loud, expressive guy, he clenches his fist and yells at others to submit to his will, he points at his enemies in grand fashion, as if his index finger dictated death sentences on demand.

I'm mostly just trying to offer a counter-argument to the "put a wrestler" idea I've heard before among comic fans, if it's about that, CGI is always good and willing, but when it comes to truly conveying how a character should behave, a flamboyant bodybuilder just isn't enough.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:20 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
I'm mostly just trying to offer a counter-argument to the "put a wrestler" idea I've heard before among comic fans, if it's about that, CGI is always good and willing, but when it comes to truly conveying how a character should behave, a flamboyant bodybuilder just isn't enough.

Depending on who the Wrestler is though, they could portray the grandiose, over the top aspects of out beloved Mad Titan. David Prowse was just a body builder, yet he portrayed Vader pretty well. If you look at most pro-wrestlers they are more or less actors and they are all over the top. If there is a motion capture core, they can probably do a lot with facial expressions and cgi (see ROTPOTA) and make Thanos come alive.

The more I think about it the more I want Mark Hamill to play Thanos.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:44 pm 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
David Prowse was just a body builder, yet he portrayed Vader pretty well.

He portrayed him as well as any person human being over six feet could've done.

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
If you look at most pro-wrestlers they are more or less actors and they are all over the top. If there is a motion capture core, they can probably do a lot with facial expressions and cgi (see ROTPOTA) and make Thanos come alive.

Dude..........better to just cast a professional actor if you're concerned about that and not about finding a guy who just looks strong enough.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:47 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
Dude..........better to just cast a professional actor if you're concerned about that and not about finding a guy who just looks strong enough.

There's no doubt that Thanos will be CGI, though, so the body providing the motion capture points doesn't have to be De Niro.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:49 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:

Depending on who the Wrestler is though, they could portray the grandiose, over the top aspects of out beloved Mad Titan. David Prowse was just a body builder, yet he portrayed Vader pretty well. If you look at most pro-wrestlers they are more or less actors and they are all over the top. If there is a motion capture core, they can probably do a lot with facial expressions and cgi (see ROTPOTA) and make Thanos come alive.

If the character is going to be cgi anyway, why bother using a wrestler in the first place? Why not just have whoever is supplying the voice supply the movements and model the character's movements on their performance?

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
The more I think about it the more I want Mark Hamill to play Thanos.

Would he not be too recognizable a voice?

I don't know anything about the character, so I'm just going by what he looks like, but I would assume he'd have a deep voice. So, what actors have deep voices?

Keith David

Clancy Brown

Powers Boothe

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:51 pm 

t3cii wrote:

If the character is going to be cgi anyway, why bother using a wrestler in the first place? Why not just have whoever is supplying the voice supply the movements and model the character's movements on their performance?

Fair enough.

t3cii wrote:
I don't know anything about the character, so I'm just going by what he looks like, but I would assume he'd have a deep voice. So, what actors have deep voices?

Go listen to the link I posted above of Hamill as the Spectre. Now if he can do that a tad deeper I think that's perfect.

Here's another video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5rXSM9kGoQ

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:31 am 
Tired of Earth.

For my part, I think the "Dr. Manhattan" approach might be best. Hire an actor to provide the voice and the mo-cap performance, then hire a body-builder to help provide the CGI model if necessary.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:44 am 

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
For my part, I think the "Dr. Manhattan" approach might be best. Hire an actor to provide the voice and the mo-cap performance, then hire a body-builder to help provide the CGI model if necessary.

Yes, I think this is the best way.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:59 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Hire an actor to provide the voice and the mo-cap performance, then hire a body-builder to help provide the CGI model if necessary.

Was that how Jon was done? Or the Hulk? (no snark, just genuinely asking). Because why couldn't they just use the the mo-cap performance, and leave the rest to the animators? Why would you even need a body builder involved?

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:32 am 
A brother to dragons.

t3cii wrote:
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Hire an actor to provide the voice and the mo-cap performance, then hire a body-builder to help provide the CGI model if necessary.

Was that how Jon was done? Or the Hulk? (no snark, just genuinely asking). Because why couldn't they just use the the mo-cap performance, and leave the rest to the animators? Why would you even need a body builder involved?

Body builders need work, too, man.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:50 pm 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

Wait a minute, didn´t Billy Crudup provide all the necesseary mo-cap for Doc? If memory serves me well only the junk and muscles were added on.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:56 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Curi means that you use a body builder as a point of reference on which to model the overlaying cgi on the suit actor so as to achieve a semi-realisitic effect.

At least I think.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:21 pm 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

Isn´t the range of motion the issue when it comes to CGI work? Adding mass to a animation shouldn´t be a problem. Same principle used with the Hulk.

Is´nt Mister Pain a CGI artist, or am I mixing people up? Because if he is, we really need his expertise here.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:11 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Godziller66 wrote:
Curi means that you use a body builder as a point of reference on which to model the overlaying cgi on the suit actor so as to achieve a semi-realisitic effect.

At least I think.

That was the idea, yes.

I hasten to point out that I said "if necessary." If the animators can bring Thanos to the screen without such a point of reference, so much the better.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:54 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

So, I was watching this the other night again and I still think it's awesome. I'll definitely get the Blu-Ray, especially if it has some great deleted scenes.

But a few points I feel like bringing out:
1. Whedon's directing is fantastic, but I feel he's still stuck in TV land.
2. What is it with the ending with everyone acting as if The Avengers weren't individually known already? Everyone acts surprised that they exist, but I'm sure other people would already know of them by now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:10 pm 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

TheMovieDude wrote:
So, I was watching this the other night again and I still think it's awesome. I'll definitely get the Blu-Ray, especially if it has some great deleted scenes.

But a few points I feel like bringing out:
1. Whedon's directing is fantastic, but I feel he's still stuck in TV land.
2. What is it with the ending with everyone acting as if The Avengers weren't individually known already? Everyone acts surprised that they exist, but I'm sure other people would already know of them by now.

Well, if you look, they're more shocked about Captain America and The Hulk.
Both of which were practically just myth, legend, (and in Hulk's case) about as real to the masses as Bigfoot.

I'll be right back. I gotta go see a man about a mule.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:58 am 
Tired of Earth.

We're talking about the same Hulk that quite visibly tore Harlem to pieces, right?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:05 am 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
We're talking about the same Hulk that quite visibly tore Harlem to pieces, right?

Yep. How many news vans and anchors do you think were around to see all that?
You got the word of a bunch of by standers from Harlem, yeah. You don't think the military would do crowd control on user content as well? I mean, movie studios can take youtube videos down on measley copyright infringement, imagine what the military would do to cover up any and all evidence of this? Seeing as how they were more than partially responsible. A month to two afterwards, I imagine it would local legend, something to talk about, but there'd be JUST as many skeptics who would chalk it up to government bullshit.

Now, the government can't exactly cover-up an entire alien invasion which had worldwide news coverage.

I'll be right back. I gotta go see a man about a mule.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:08 am 

I don't know where else to put this, but Marvel Studios officially got the rights to Daredevil today. Let there be great celebration with wine, women, and song!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112  Next