WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum


Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Bone
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:34 am 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10216
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
No, that was me. I keep hearing Daffy Duck when I read Phoney, because when you get right down to it, Phoney practically is Daffy Duck. Seriously, tell me I'm wrong.


You are wrong.

There, I did it :)

To be honest, I had forgotten Daffy Duck's voice, somehow I had it mixed up with Donald Duck's voice which is certainly NOT what I would want for Phoney.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bone
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:35 am 
Offline
Labored long to build a heaven.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 12480
Location: Monster Island (Really New York)
feliciano182 wrote:
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
No, that was me. I keep hearing Daffy Duck when I read Phoney, because when you get right down to it, Phoney practically is Daffy Duck. Seriously, tell me I'm wrong.


You are wrong.

There, I did it :)

To be honest, I had forgotten Daffy Duck's voice, somehow I had it mixed up with Donald Duck's voice which is certainly NOT what I would want for Phoney.

Actually, I mixed it up with Donald Duck's too.

I feel like a very bad cartoon fan.

_________________
"The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.
Image
"There's a cello in your house now."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bone
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:43 am 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
t3cii wrote:
you're suggesting he's the only choice for the part



Wait... what? No I said that that's the voice I hear when I read Smiley... not that he was the only possible choice. Yes, I want him for the personal reason that that was the first voice I heard when reading smiley's dialogue. I actually was doing the voice and I couldn't even remember at first what show it was from, but that voice just seemed right.

And for Fone...

Picture the song he's singing is about Thorn. Admit it, it sounds right.

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bone
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:43 am 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:01 am
Posts: 8041
Location: Clackamas, OR
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
And for Fone...

Picture the song he's singing is about Thorn. Admit it, it sounds right.

...Dammit.

Lower the pitch just a hair, and yeah, that's exactly what I imagine Fone sounding like.

_________________
This is truly a madhouse. And I'm the lunatic running it. I've spent three years wondering if I should be proud or ashamed.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bone
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:19 am 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10216
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
And for Fone...

Picture the song he's singing is about Thorn. Admit it, it sounds right.


Much better, like Curi says, lower the pitch a bit and it's a good voice for Fone.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bone
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:29 am 
Offline
Dog Carcass in Alley
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:55 am
Posts: 6493
Location: Toronto, Ont, Canada
feliciano182 wrote:
To be honest, I had forgotten Daffy Duck's voice, somehow I had it mixed up with Donald Duck's voice which is certainly NOT what I would want for Phoney.


I think Phoney and Daffy share the trait of sounding like they're about to lose their shit at any minute. I still tend to imagine Joe Pesci, or at least his cartoon bird counterpart from the Animaniacs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gVurt8TjeA

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Wait... what? No I said that that's the voice I hear when I read Smiley... not that he was the only possible choice.


Well, you said he needs to play him.

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
And for Fone...

Picture the song he's singing is about Thorn. Admit it, it sounds right.


That's actually not a bad suggestion. It's hard for me to imagine what he sounds like since he tends to be the straight man, and doesn't have the same characterization that Smiley and Phoney do. If I had to pick an actor I imagine him sounding like, it might be Daniel Stern of the Wonder Years and Dilbert.

_________________
Image

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bone
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:04 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
t3cii wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Wait... what? No I said that that's the voice I hear when I read Smiley... not that he was the only possible choice.


Well, you said he needs to play him.


I did, but I didn't think the context made it seem like I was too zealous about it. As we've been over before though, I'm pretty particular when it comes to adaptations.

Also... Betty White for Gran'ma Ben?

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bone
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:56 am 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:01 am
Posts: 8041
Location: Clackamas, OR
So, after the Doug clip posted a short while ago, I went and looked up his voice actor. It turns out that Billy West is a very prolific voice actor who also voices the lead of Futurama. So the matter is simple: Just hire him and tell him to do a voice that's somewhere between Doug Funnie and Philip J. Fry. Sounds like Fone Bone to me.

Regarding Phoney, the best I've got is "Daffy Duck if he was a lifelong Noo Yawker." For the voice actor, we've got to go with Pesto himself, Chick Vennera. He's already got years of experience doing a cartoon impression of Pesci, and he's a native New Yorker himself.

That just leaves Smiley. Racking my brain for any similar cartoon characters I know of, the best I've got is Pinky. That's not to say I think they sound anything alike, but they both have a childlike love of life and really big hearts on their sleeves.

So I went to refresh my memory as to who voiced Pinky: His name was Robert Paulsen, also responsible for voicing Yakko and Dr. Scratchansniff. Hell, his IMDB page is a whopping 370 credits long. If anyone can find a suitably wacky yet relatable voice to suit Smiley, he's my choice to find it.

_________________
This is truly a madhouse. And I'm the lunatic running it. I've spent three years wondering if I should be proud or ashamed.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bone
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:09 am 
Offline
Labored long to build a heaven.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 12480
Location: Monster Island (Really New York)
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
So I went to refresh my memory as to who voiced Pinky: His name was Robert Paulsen,

............

_________________
"The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.
Image
"There's a cello in your house now."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bone
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:12 am 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:01 am
Posts: 8041
Location: Clackamas, OR
Oh, come on, it was right there!

_________________
This is truly a madhouse. And I'm the lunatic running it. I've spent three years wondering if I should be proud or ashamed.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bone
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:15 am 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
So, after the Doug clip posted a short while ago, I went and looked up his voice actor. It turns out that Billy West is a very prolific voice actor who also voices the lead of Futurama.


Wait... you didn't know that?

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bone
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:28 am 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:01 am
Posts: 8041
Location: Clackamas, OR
I'm only barely familiar with Futurama. Sorry.

_________________
This is truly a madhouse. And I'm the lunatic running it. I've spent three years wondering if I should be proud or ashamed.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bone
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:33 am 
Offline
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:29 am
Posts: 4978
It's just weird, considering that Billy West is pretty much an a-list name when it comes to animation.
In twenty years people will probably mention him in the same breath as Frank Welker

_________________
Say, Doc, did I ever tell you I'm the only metal that's liquid at room temperature?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bone
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:42 am 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
Smutty wrote:
It's just weird, considering that Billy West is pretty much an a-list name when it comes to animation.
In twenty years people will probably mention him in the same breath as Frank Welker


Billy West and John DiMaggio are like the George Clooney and Brad Pitt of voice acting.

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bone
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:28 am 
Offline
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:29 am
Posts: 4978
And Tress Mcneil is like the Nicole Kidman

_________________
Say, Doc, did I ever tell you I'm the only metal that's liquid at room temperature?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bone
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:31 am 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
And Mark Hamill is like the... oh, wait... who was that guy who played Luke Skywalker?

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bone
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:32 am 
Offline
Dog Carcass in Alley
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:55 am
Posts: 6493
Location: Toronto, Ont, Canada
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
So, after the Doug clip posted a short while ago, I went and looked up his voice actor. It turns out that Billy West is a very prolific voice actor who also voices the lead of Futurama. So the matter is simple: Just hire him and tell him to do a voice that's somewhere between Doug Funnie and Philip J. Fry. Sounds like Fone Bone to me.

Regarding Phoney, the best I've got is "Daffy Duck if he was a lifelong Noo Yawker." For the voice actor, we've got to go with Pesto himself, Chick Vennera. He's already got years of experience doing a cartoon impression of Pesci, and he's a native New Yorker himself.

That just leaves Smiley. Racking my brain for any similar cartoon characters I know of, the best I've got is Pinky. That's not to say I think they sound anything alike, but they both have a childlike love of life and really big hearts on their sleeves.

So I went to refresh my memory as to who voiced Pinky: His name was Robert Paulsen, also responsible for voicing Yakko and Dr. Scratchansniff. Hell, his IMDB page is a whopping 370 credits long. If anyone can find a suitably wacky yet relatable voice to suit Smiley, he's my choice to find it.


As good as our suggestions are, the reality is it's very unlikely we would see a voice actor who isn't a celebrity in this, especially if this is to be on the big screen. I remember when Under The Hedge came out and it saying Avril Lavigne was doing a voice. She has such an indistinct voice that the only reason she was cast was because she was popular at the moment. If this is a cgi movie, you can expect it to have bigger names attached. I'd imagine....

Fone Bone - Aaron Johnson (or some other British, modestly known actor)
Phoney Bone - Jack Black
Smiley Bone - Will Forte
Thorn - Dianna Agron (or some former Disney star)
Gran'ma Ben - Cloris Leachman
The Red Dragon - Michael Clark Duncan
Lucius - Hulk Hogan

And at least one celebrity who has no business being in a movie like this. So I'll go with....Paulie D.

_________________
Image

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bone
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:03 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
t3cii wrote:
Fone Bone - Aaron Johnson (or some other British, modestly known actor)
Phoney Bone - Jack Black
Smiley Bone - Will Forte
Thorn - Dianna Agron (or some former Disney star)
Gran'ma Ben - Cloris Leachman
The Red Dragon - Michael Clark Duncan
Lucius - Hulk Hogan

And at least one celebrity who has no business being in a movie like this. So I'll go with....Paulie D.


I don't know what's sadder... how cynical so many people are towards holywood, or that hollywood has given us nothing but reasons to be cynical.

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bone
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:15 pm 
Offline
Dog Carcass in Alley
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:55 am
Posts: 6493
Location: Toronto, Ont, Canada
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
t3cii wrote:
Fone Bone - Aaron Johnson (or some other British, modestly known actor)
Phoney Bone - Jack Black
Smiley Bone - Will Forte
Thorn - Dianna Agron (or some former Disney star)
Gran'ma Ben - Cloris Leachman
The Red Dragon - Michael Clark Duncan
Lucius - Hulk Hogan

And at least one celebrity who has no business being in a movie like this. So I'll go with....Paulie D.


I don't know what's sadder... how cynical so many people are towards holywood, or that hollywood has given us nothing but reasons to be cynical.


It's going to happen. What was the last cartoon movie you saw, not based on a show, that had non celebrity voice actors?

_________________
Image

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bone
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:30 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
t3cii wrote:
It's going to happen. What was the last cartoon movie you saw, not based on a show, that had non celebrity voice actors?


I actually don't remember the last cartoon movie I saw

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.164s | 11 Queries | GZIP : Off ]