WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bone
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:47 am 
Tired of Earth.

After a quick forum search, I noticed that there wasn't a thread for Bone by Jeff Smith yet. It's high time to fix that, in my opinion.

Though it will always come second to Watchmen in my heart, I still consider Bone to be one of my absolute favorite graphic novels and one of my all-time favorite books. I love how this book turns the epic fantasy genre on its ear, presenting something that defies several genre conventions while staying true to others, making this a work uniquely its own. After all, though most fantasy tales have a beautiful princess and an unassuming child who becomes a brave warrior, how many fantasies can you think of in which the two characters are one and the same?

I love this story's unique blend of cartoonish humor and gritty wartime violence. I love the tremendous amount of depth that went into creating the Valley. I love the Bones, how they interact with each other, and how they affect the strange new world they find themselves in. Folks, this is just an amazing story and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Naturally, a movie adaptation has been threatened for a while, though it's been stalling in development hell for quite some time. Yet news has just reached my ears that the movie may actually be getting somewhere.

Patrick Sean Smith's resume is light, but I do see signs of promise. Though I haven't seen Greek, I notice that the show's first season was halted by the WGA strike, yet it still survived for another three seasons. That's a very impressive feat, considering how many shows the strike killed. What's more, the show didn't end due to lousy ratings or network mandate, but because Smith himself thought it was a good place to stop. Intriguing.

As for P.J. Hogan, his resume is littered with romantic comedies. However, based on his Wikipedia page, it appears that Hogan was just picking up whatever gigs came his way until he had some amount of clout. He used this to write and direct an adaptation of Peter Pan and an attempted revival series of Dark Shadows. The good news is that he clearly has some passion for fantasy. The bad news is that Peter Pan had some pretty serious failings, and the Dark Shadows pilot never aired.

So to sum up, we've got a comedy writer on the script, and a fantasy fan in the director's chair. Given this material, I'd say that's a very good place to start. I could wish for a slightly better pedigree, but it's a start.

I'm tempted to share my own ideas as to what a Bone adaptation should look like, but I think this is enough to get a conversation going. Are any of you fans of this comic book saga? Who would you like to see bringing the book to the screen? What would your ideal Bone movie do and look like?

Post subject: Re: Bone
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:57 am 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

I only ever read the first trade of Bone, and I enjoyed it, and I also loved Jeff Smith's Shazam miniseries.
I feel that if Bone were to be adapted, the best way to do it would be oldschool stop-motion animation.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:21 am 
Tired of Earth.

Crazy as it sounds, I want the Bones to be done with 2D animation, and everything else to be either live-action or CGI.

You might ask "Wouldn't that look really weird?" I'd answer yes, and that's the point. In my opinion, the Bones should constantly look and act like they wandered in from a completely different movie, because that's exactly what happened.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:36 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Man. I remember reading the school library's copy of Disney Adventures just for Bone.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:59 am 
...you're locked in here with me!

I plan on reading it as soon as I finish From Hell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:01 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Out From Boneville was the first graphic novel I ever read. I remember flipping through it while in a bookstore. I found Smith's artwork and characters to be charming, and eventually I bought the first volume. I loved that book, it was so fun and yet so dark at the same time. I love the early scenes involving Fone Bone meeting and falling in love with Thorn. I love the scene where Phoney Bone steals Grandma Ben's pie, and when Thorn asks who took it, we see Fone Bone's head in the shape of a pie, and Phoney, hands folded like a choir boy, say "We haven't seen it. Honest!". Or when Phoney has to get a job at the Barrel Haven. And I love how the story becomes much more harrowing and epic towards the end, when the Lord of The Locusts and his army of Rat creatures attack Grandma Ben's barn. The final page, where we see him on a hill top as the Bone cousins are reunited, is both funny and ominous and the perfect example of what the story is about.

The Great Cow Race is another great collection, but I think it's The Dragon Slayer that is the best in the series. By then Smith had perfected his style, and all the characters are fully realized. And it has so many great moments. Smith also takes full advantage of working with black and white, something which unfortunately has been colorized in newer versions of the books (that and being marketed towards kids). I think the book loses a lot of its charm when colorized.

While I have the first 8 books in the series, I don't have that final one, and I have never finished the story. The last few volumes I think the story begins to falter as it becomes more epic in scale. Also, and I've said this before, but finding out just how influenced Smith was by the work of Walt Kelly made me appreciate his artwork a bit less.

As for the possibility of an animated movie, I'm not sure how I feel about that, since I have such a distinct idea in my head as to how these characters should sound. What voice actors would you use? And as for animation, I think hand drawn, 2D animation is a must.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:12 pm 
Tired of Earth.

t3cii wrote:
As for the possibility of an animated movie, I'm not sure how I feel about that, since I have such a distinct idea in my head as to how these characters should sound. What voice actors would you use?

As far as the Bones are concerned, I think the important thing is that the voices shouldn't age them. Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, and even Kermit the Frog all have voices that make it impossible to guess exactly what age they are, and the Bones should be voiced likewise.

For the Red Dragon, gotta go with Sam Elliott. He needs that sort of aged and whip-smart baritone.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:15 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
t3cii wrote:
As for the possibility of an animated movie, I'm not sure how I feel about that, since I have such a distinct idea in my head as to how these characters should sound. What voice actors would you use?

As far as the Bones are concerned, I think the important thing is that the voices shouldn't age them. Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, and even Kermit the Frog all have voices that make it impossible to guess exactly what age they are, and the Bones should be voiced likewise.

For the Red Dragon, gotta go with Sam Elliott. He needs that sort of aged and whip-smart baritone.

Yeah, I'm not sure how you would do that with the Bones. I didn't really have any particular voice in mind for Fone Bone, but I tend to think of Phoney Bone as sounding like Joe Pesci, and Smiley Bone sounding like Jim Nabors.

Good call on Sam Eilliot as the Red Dragon! As for the others, the unfortunate trend with Hollywood movies is to get big name actors to supply the voice. I'm sure that will be the case with this movie. But if it were up to me...

Lucius - I'm thinking MC Gainey. He basically looks like a live action Lucius: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWl_4lab3Ws

Gran'ma Ben - Tress MacNeille, from The Simpsons and Futurama. Whoever voices Rose needs to sound tough as nails.

Kingdock - John Rhys-Davies.

The Stupid, stupid Rat Creatures - For some reason I tend to image these two as sounding like more monstrous versions of the Goofy Gophers from the Warner Bros cartoons.

Roque Ja - Ken Watnabe. Roque Ja must sound monstrous, yet sly, and carries himself with a certain dignity.

The Lord of the Locusts - This might be the hardest part in the story to cast since in print I tended to imagine a man's voice.

As for Thorn, I suspect they'll cast whatever actress is popular at the moment, although don't be surprised if Katy Perry ends up voicing her.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:26 pm 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

An animated 3D film would be great, in my opinion. If Bone was kept 2D/flat in a 3D environment... it's that kind of separation (ie. a 'flat' character amongst three dimensional characters and surroundings) that can drive a 3D movie really well, giving the format a reason to exist as part of the story rather than just a gimmick.

Last edited by Mister Pain on Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:55 am 

t3cii wrote:
While I have the first 8 books in the series, I don't have that final one, and I have never finished the story. The last few volumes I think the story begins to falter as it becomes more epic in scale. Also, and I've said this before, but finding out just how influenced Smith was by the work of Walt Kelly made me appreciate his artwork a bit less.

It's funny that you say that, because it was actually the similarities to Walt Kelly and Pogo that made me interested in Bone in the first place

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:11 am 
Tired of Earth.

t3cii wrote:
Yeah, I'm not sure how you would do that with the Bones. I didn't really have any particular voice in mind for Fone Bone, but I tend to think of Phoney Bone as sounding like Joe Pesci, and Smiley Bone sounding like Jim Nabors.
God help me, I keep hearing Phoney Bone talking with Daffy Duck's voice. Because when you get right down to it, he pretty much is Daffy Duck.

I'm not sure how to describe how I hear his cousins, except that they sound very much in that same sort of "Mel Blanc" Looney Tunes style.

t3cii wrote:
Lucius - I'm thinking MC Gainey. He basically looks like a live action Lucius: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWl_4lab3Ws
In my fantasy Bone movie, all the human characters would be live-action, except that Lucius and Gran'ma would be played by younger actors in makeup. It's not easy to find older actors with the stamina to take on dozens of rat creatures bare-handed for hours at a time -- even in make-believe -- and it would be nice if the same actors could play the characters in flashback.

But if we're going to cast an older actor for the live-action role or if we're going to cast a voice actor, he doesn't look half-bad.

t3cii wrote:
Gran'ma Ben - Tress MacNeille, from The Simpsons and Futurama. Whoever voices Rose needs to sound tough as nails.
Another wonderful choice. Anyone who voiced for Animaniacs is more than qualified to voice for this picture, and she's another older actress who might work in a live-action portrayal.

t3cii wrote:
Kingdock - John Rhys-Davies.
I never would have thought of him, but he'd totally work. His voice might have to be processed like crazy to provide the sufficient amount of growl, but he'd definitely bring the intimidation that Kingdok needs.

t3cii wrote:
The Stupid, stupid Rat Creatures - For some reason I tend to image these two as sounding like more monstrous versions of the Goofy Gophers from the Warner Bros cartoons.
To me, they sound more like Starscream or Cobra Commander. Chris Latta was great at that sort of high-pitched whiny voice that somehow managed to be sinister and laughable at the same time. Pity deceased.

t3cii wrote:
Roque Ja - Ken Watnabe. Roque Ja must sound monstrous, yet sly, and carries himself with a certain dignity.
At the risk of starting controversy, the first thing I'd do in adapting Bone would be to cut out Roque Ja. I just don't think he adds enough to the book -- in terms of narrative or thematic importance -- to merit the money, manpower, or screen time necessary.

t3cii wrote:
The Lord of the Locusts - This might be the hardest part in the story to cast since in print I tended to imagine a man's voice.
I wouldn't go with one voice. I'd go with several voices, all speaking at once in a low whisper.

t3cii wrote:
As for Thorn, I suspect they'll cast whatever actress is popular at the moment, although don't be surprised if Katy Perry ends up voicing her.
Again, Thorn is someone that I would've cast as a live-action actress. This is actually a very tough role, with a very steep development and a huge emotional range. And if it was in live-action like I hoped it would be, then we can add "physically strenuous" to the list.

Given several months of planning, deliberations, and auditions, I have no idea who I'd go with. But if I had to make a snap decision right here and now, I'd go with Emma Stone.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:22 am 

Emma Stone is becoming the female equivilent of Jon Hamm and Nathan Fillion when it comes to fancasting.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:31 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Smutty wrote:
Emma Stone is becoming the female equivilent of Jon Hamm and Nathan Fillion when it comes to fancasting.

Summer Glau and Emma Stone should fight to the death for their place as celebrity nerd queen.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:50 am 

Godziller66 wrote:
Smutty wrote:

Summer Glau and Emma Stone should fight to the death for their place as celebrity nerd queen.

Nah, Glau is definitely Nerd Queen, but Stone appears on a shitload more fancasts. She's the fancast queen.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:05 am 
Tired of Earth.

With all respect to Summer Glau, she's not Thorn. Badass though she is, Glau is still built like a ballerina. No way she could've been raised on a farm.

Of all the young actresses that come immediately to mind, Stone comes closest to looking the part. It also helps that she's already proven herself in a wide variety of comedic and dramatic roles, and her upcoming turn as Gwen Stacy may be valuable. Even if she isn't throwing any punches, that's experience in wire-work and selling CGI action, both of which would be valuable skills as a live-action Thorn.

Though if Thorn is animated, Stone might still prove to be a good voice actor for the role.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:00 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
In my fantasy Bone movie, all the human characters would be live-action, except that Lucius and Gran'ma would be played by younger actors in makeup. It's not easy to find older actors with the stamina to take on dozens of rat creatures bare-handed for hours at a time -- even in make-believe -- and it would be nice if the same actors could play the characters in flashback.

So, would the Bones be cgi like the Smurfs or Chipmunks in those recent movies? Or do you mean they'd be classically animated?

Casting younger actors to play older characters is a bit tricky. It would have to involve some great makeup work.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
To me, they sound more like Starscream or Cobra Commander.

Funny you should say that, because I also imagined them sounding like Inferno from Beast Wars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43MkelKEU_0

Its when they starting talking about quiches that they remind me of the Warner Bros Gophers, for some reason.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
At the risk of starting controversy, the first thing I'd do in adapting Bone would be to cut out Roque Ja. I just don't think he adds enough to the book -- in terms of narrative or thematic importance -- to merit the money, manpower, or screen time necessary.

I actually wouldn't be opposed to that. Roque Ja comes in pretty late into the series, an his plot seems the most like filler.

Actually, this is just going to be one movie, right?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:51 am 
Tired of Earth.

t3cii wrote:
So, would the Bones be cgi like the Smurfs or Chipmunks in those recent movies? Or do you mean they'd be classically animated?

As I said in the thread's original post, I would have the Bones -- and ONLY the Bones -- be 2D animated. The better to show just how out of place they are.

t3cii wrote:
Actually, this is just going to be one movie, right?

God, I hope not. Even in graphic novel form, there's just no way to cram 1,000 pages of story into 180 minutes or less and expect anything good to come of it.

Plus, the story is divided into three volumes of three books each, which could be used as a very rough guideline of three movies with three acts each.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:16 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Found an animation someone did. The animation is decent, but the voices are all wrong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-Dxg2-qess

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:34 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

anyone seen this director's peter pan i always love fantasy films but i never got around to watch this

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:23 am 

Project862006 wrote:
anyone seen this director's peter pan i always love fantasy films but i never got around to watch this

May I lend you some fucking punctuation?
Sorry, usually I ignore it, but every man has a threshold.