WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:08 pm 
A brother to dragons.

Arrow ended up not being half bad, with the potential of being pretty good. The paint stripe as mask is lame, and Drakon was stupid. Overall, though, they've at least got me to watch a second episode, which was more than I was expecting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:19 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

1st look at Deathstroke

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:50 pm 
Tired of Earth.

not bad, but i would almost prefer a hockey mask or helmet, being with the whole realism approach (is it even that realistic?).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:56 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

Just saw the pilot episode.

Bad acting from all the cast, way too many pretty faces and sexy figures, uneven pacing and fucked-up editing at some points.

However, the action was pretty damn good, and the writers took a very bold decision in regards to the character which I enjoyed very much. I also thought the episode was well written, though I don't think one can notice behind the plethora of issues I mentioned before.

It's also funny just how many similarities this Oliver Queen has with..............Batman.

All in all, not bad, but not great either, I could still give it a second chance.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:07 pm 
A brother to dragons.

feliciano182 wrote:
It's also funny just how many similarities this Oliver Queen has with..............Batman.

Yes, the writers of Arrow did indeed seem to take a great deal of...inspiration from Batman Begins.

feliciano182 wrote:
All in all, not bad, but not great either, I could still give it a second chance.

That pretty much sums what I thought.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:19 pm 

Broken Finger wrote:
Yes, the writers of Arrow did indeed seem to take a great deal of...inspiration from Batman Begins.

What did you think of SPOILER --> Oliver Queen just snapping that guy's neck ? I liked it, and I'm a very stern opponent of superheroes killing bad guys !

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:31 pm 
A brother to dragons.

feliciano182 wrote:
What did you think of SPOILER --> REDACTED

I was okay with it. It made sense story wise, and, way on back in the 80s, Mike Grell put it forward that Green Arrow was't afraid of going that far if he had to in The Longbow Hunters.

Having had a few days for it to sink in, I will say that Arrow's best friend being named Tommy Merlyn has really started to grate on my nerves. The writers were worried about certain things being too "comic-booky" (because, clearly that would be just the WORST), but they have no problem making certain things too "Dawson's Creeky," do they?

Does everyone get the "Dawson's Creek" reference? I'm not that old, am I?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:47 pm 

Well, I never saw Dawson's Creek :lol:

But I also hated Tommy Merlyn, the character was just annoying as shit, it's amazing how he started having real dialogue towards the end of the episode, precisely because he wasn't throwing "comic relief" quips and one-liners.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:26 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

Broken Finger wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
What did you think of SPOILER --> REDACTED

I was okay with it. It made sense story wise, and, way on back in the 80s, Mike Grell put it forward that Green Arrow was't afraid of going that far if he had to in The Longbow Hunters.

Having had a few days for it to sink in, I will say that Arrow's best friend being named Tommy Merlyn has really started to grate on my nerves. The writers were worried about certain things being too "comic-booky" (because, clearly that would be just the WORST), but they have no problem making certain things too "Dawson's Creeky," do they?

Does everyone get the "Dawson's Creek" reference? I'm not that old, am I?

if the reference is because you mentioned Batman Begins in your previous post, then yes I did.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:57 am 
A brother to dragons.

if the reference is because you mentioned Batman Begins in your previous post, then yes I did.

I think you've made a joke where I did not intend one. What I meant by "Dawson's Creeky" (or Creekish, if you prefer) is that the writers of Arrow, while complaining about certain elements being "comic-booky" (which is an idiot phrase, but anyway), have no problem lowering themselves to the most clichéd soap opera mechanisms and tropes (which is kind of funny, in a hypocritical sort of way). I was using Dawson's Creek as an example of that.

I've never actually seen Dawson's Creek, but it was the first example that came to mind.

Basically, what I'm getting at, is that the writers of Arrow, or at least the ones who used the phrase comic-booky in a denigrating way, are total shitheads.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:25 am 

Broken Finger wrote:

I think you've made a joke where I did not intend one. What I meant by "Dawson's Creeky" (or Creekish, if you prefer) is that the writers of Arrow, while complaining about certain elements being "comic-booky" (which is an idiot phrase, but anyway), have no problem lowering themselves to the most clichéd soap opera mechanisms and tropes (which is kind of funny, in a hypocritical sort of way). I was using Dawson's Creek as an example of that.

I've never actually seen Dawson's Creek, but it was the first example that came to mind.

Basically, what I'm getting at, is that the writers of Arrow, or at least the ones who used the phrase comic-booky in a denigrating way, are total shitheads.

I think I must have just been looking for a reference to deeply (Katie Holmes rose to fame in Dawson's Creek before hitting the big time by marrying Tom Cruise... I mean by starring in Batman Begins)

Would you say the show is like "Batman Begins" meets "Fringe" meets "The B**** in apartment 23"? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:20 am 

Second episode SEEEEEEEN !

So it's funny how, seeing the intro of this episode, I felt a little Alan Moore sitting on my shoulder, looking at the screen and muttering the british equivalent of "what a douchebag".

Watchmen HAS changed our lives indeed :lol:

Buuuuuuuuuuuuut the second episode didn't really improve this show, everyone still sucks at acting (specially the guy who plays Oliver Queen), there's a gaping plot hole from the first episode that didn't got tackled on in this one, and everytime "Arrow" wasn't kicking ass, he was moping about his first world problems with his sister and his grieving son act.

Post subject: Island Rocks: Green
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:20 am 
A brother to dragons.

feliciano182 wrote:
the second episode didn't really improve this show, everyone still sucks at acting (specially the guy who plays Oliver Queen),

That dude's acting range extends from mediocre but serviceable to terrible and laughable.

Deadshot and his eyepiece looked way better in action than the still photo. Although the end of last night's episode and (spoiler, just in case anyone is watching this besides me and Feliciano) *the apparent end of Deadshot was weird. *

Post subject: Re: Island Rocks: Green
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:34 am 

Broken Finger wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
the second episode didn't really improve this show, everyone still sucks at acting (specially the guy who plays Oliver Queen),

That dude's acting range extends from mediocre but serviceable to terrible and laughable.

I haven't watched the show yet(?), but it's a shame that the guy that plays OQ isn't great because the guy that played OQ in Smallville was pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:50 am 

Broken Finger wrote:

Deadshot and his eyepiece looked way better in action than the still photo. Although the end of last night's episode and (spoiler, just in case anyone is watching this besides me and Feliciano)

Aye, his............performance.............is quite painful to watch !

I haven't seen the latest episode yet, but I'll get to it soon.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:36 pm 

Broken Finger wrote:
Deadshot and his eyepiece looked way better in action than the still photo. Although the end of last night's episode and (spoiler, just in case anyone is watching this besides me and Feliciano)

Now that I've seen the episode, I approve of Deadshot's mask once you see it in action.

As for that spoiler of yours --> Yeah, it was fairly anti-climatic, it made me wonder if he was really dead, quite frankly, I think they've turned a good idea (Superheroes killing people) into a bad one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:15 am 
A brother to dragons.

feliciano182 wrote:
As for that spoiler of yours -->

I don't think he is either, and the way the arrow hit the eyepiece, I'm wondering if that was intended to be a foreshadowing moment anticipating Deathstroke.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:07 pm 

Broken Finger wrote:
I don't think he is either, and the way the arrow hit the eyepiece, I'm wondering if that was intended to be a foreshadowing moment anticipating Deathstroke.

I really don't believe that is within the capabilities of the writers of this show :lol:

Post subject: Metal Green Solid
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:19 pm 
A brother to dragons.

One of the little things I'm enjoying about this show is Ollie's little black book. Towards the end of each episode, he opens this book and scratches out the name of whoever he's brought to justice that episode. If you look, there's always a little in-joke or reference to a Green Arrow villain. Last week I noticed Danny Brickwell, known as Brick in the comics. Weirdly, at the end of tonight's episode I would swear I saw the name Hideo Kojima, who is most definitely not a fictional villain.

This show is getting better. I normally avoid regular TV programming like the plague, but I'm going to stick around for this one.

Post subject: Re: Metal Green Solid
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:28 pm 

Broken Finger wrote:
One of the little things I'm enjoying about this show is Ollie's little black book. Towards the end of each episode, he opens this book and scratches out the name of whoever he's brought to justice that episode. If you look, there's always a little in-joke or reference to a Green Arrow villain. Last week I noticed Danny Brickwell, known as Brick in the comics. Weirdly, at the end of tonight's episode I would swear I saw the name Hideo Kojima, who is most definitely not a fictional villain.

That's a nice detail I never noticed, not really read anything from Green Arrow so I wouldn't have anyways, for my part I've just laughed at the little black blook.