WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:03 am 
Tired of Earth.

I have no idea what it is I just saw. Aside from a rerun of Interstellar.

EDIT: Just saw the filmmaker commentary for the teaser. It explains virtually nothing, except that they're now using interdimensional travel in the place of interstellar travel.

Admittedly, that's a rather clever way of modernizing the classic origin story. Yet it sounds rather laughable in the context of all this talk about "hard science" and "grounded in reality" and so much other crap.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:33 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

We all know it won't be hard science and the like, but I can appreciate filmmakers trying to ground things a bit more, especially since they're not obligated to do it. I don't know about the movie's direction, but I'll really appreciate it if it makes kids more appreciative of scientists. I think Iron Man has already done it, so if it can have that sense of wonder, cool.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:23 pm 
Tired of Earth.

TheMovieDude wrote:
We all know it won't be hard science and the like, but I can appreciate filmmakers trying to ground things a bit more, especially since they're not obligated to do it. I don't know about the movie's direction, but I'll really appreciate it if it makes kids more appreciative of scientists. I think Iron Man has already done it, so if it can have that sense of wonder, cool.

remember how iron man started out "grounded in reality" and then said fuck that in the next movie?

well they skipped having a movie grounded in reality and just went straight to the "because fuck you" movie this time. anyways i'm expecting some sort of easter eggs to connect this new f4 to the x-men franchise since fox is apparently trying to put them together, even though they don't really own anything else marvel that i'm aware of. also, same writer, simon kinberg.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:22 am 
Tired of Earth.

WJK wrote:
well they skipped having a movie grounded in reality and just went straight to the "because fuck you" movie this time. anyways i'm expecting some sort of easter eggs to connect this new f4 to the x-men franchise since fox is apparently trying to put them together, even though they don't really own anything else marvel that i'm aware of. also, same writer, simon kinberg.

They still have Silver Surfer, Galactus, and a few other of the lesser alien races in the Marvel canon. Just wait: Fox will find a way to shoehorn those guys into another FF movie just to spite Marvel.

Though seriously, Fox should just let them all go and put all their efforts into X-Men. With the exception of Marvel's output (sorry, DC/WB), Fox's mutant films are easily the most viable comic-to-film property in terms of audience popularity and recent quality that we have right now. Furthermore, the X-Men property has so many hundreds of characters and storylines over so many decades of history that it would easily be enough by itself to inspire a vast cinematic universe comprised of many films.

And that universe would be a lot more coherent without the Fantastic Four sticking out of it like a second nose.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:37 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

WJK wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:

remember how iron man started out "grounded in reality" and then said fuck that in the next movie?

well they skipped having a movie grounded in reality and just went straight to the "because fuck you" movie this time. anyways i'm expecting some sort of easter eggs to connect this new f4 to the x-men franchise since fox is apparently trying to put them together, even though they don't really own anything else marvel that i'm aware of. also, same writer, simon kinberg.[/quote

Iron Man did have the Nick Fury ending, though.

Also, Matthew Vaughn is one of the producers in this movie.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:54 am 
Tired of Earth.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
WJK wrote:

They still have Silver Surfer, Galactus, and a few other of the lesser alien races in the Marvel canon. Just wait: Fox will find a way to shoehorn those guys into another FF movie just to spite Marvel.

Though seriously, Fox should just let them all go and put all their efforts into X-Men. With the exception of Marvel's output (sorry, DC/WB), Fox's mutant films are easily the most viable comic-to-film property in terms of audience popularity and recent quality that we have right now. Furthermore, the X-Men property has so many hundreds of characters and storylines over so many decades of history that it would easily be enough by itself to inspire a vast cinematic universe comprised of many films.

And that universe would be a lot more coherent without the Fantastic Four sticking out of it like a second nose.

i agree that they really should just focus on the x-men at this point, but it's getting to the point of being overkill.

unless they can come up with something that rivals the quality of the animated series, i'm not holding any hopes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:23 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

really love the hard sci fi approach they are taking and the tone has a much more grounded,mature and cerebral feel to it

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:35 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Project862006 wrote:
really love the hard sci fi approach they are taking and the tone has a much more grounded,mature and cerebral feel to it

I'll remind you that the source material features a mad scientist named "Doctor Doom" who creates robotic copies of himself, a main hero who creates "The Ultimate Nullifier," and the backstory of Annihilus, to say nothing of planet-eating Galactus and his herald, Silver Surfer.

The comics are loaded with science fantasy so snooker-loopy that it would make George Lucas look like Frank Herbert. There's nothing remotely grounded, mature, or cerebral about it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:00 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Project862006 wrote:

I'll remind you that the source material features a mad scientist named "Doctor Doom" who creates robotic copies of himself, a main hero who creates "The Ultimate Nullifier," and the backstory of Annihilus, to say nothing of planet-eating Galactus and his herald, Silver Surfer.

The comics are loaded with science fantasy so snooker-loopy that it would make George Lucas look like Frank Herbert. There's nothing remotely grounded, mature, or cerebral about it.

What makes you think they wouldn't take a different approach with the movie?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:23 am 
Tired of Earth.

TheMovieDude wrote:

Though I maintain that it's the wrong choice, I freely admit that it's the predictable choice.

Really, let's cut the bullshit. This film was made for the express purpose of keeping the rights to Fantastic Four. It's a film made to spite Marvel and Disney, nothing else. Remember, this was the bare-bones announcement that this reboot was happening, so conveniently timed the very day after Disney announced its plans to buy out Marvel.

Of course Fox is going to put the least possible amount of effort and creativity into this picture. They don't need it to be a franchise, they don't even need it to be a hit. They just need to make a functional product that will keep Galactus and Silver Surfer out of Marvel's hands for another few years.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:27 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:

Though I maintain that it's the wrong choice, I freely admit that it's the predictable choice.

Really, let's cut the bullshit. This film was made for the express purpose of keeping the rights to Fantastic Four. It's a film made to spite Marvel and Disney, nothing else. Remember, this was the bare-bones announcement that this reboot was happening, so conveniently timed the very day after Disney announced its plans to buy out Marvel.

Of course Fox is going to put the least possible amount of effort and creativity into this picture. They don't need it to be a franchise, they don't even need it to be a hit. They just need to make a functional product that will keep Galactus and Silver Surfer out of Marvel's hands for another few years.

You're right, but my best hopes are is that this movie ends up not just being an exercise in studio spitefulness.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:28 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:

disagree this film especially trailer does'nt feel slapped together and recently hear josh trank talk about the film he has brought a ton of creativity to this property hearing him take inspiration from David Cronenberg films and recently announcing phillip glass is scoring

not to mention the great actors in the cast and matthew vaughn producing and simon kinberg scripting the film coming off writing DOFP it feels like they did everything to ensure that they put everything into it to make sure it becomes a solid film

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:01 am 
Tired of Earth.

i'm hoping for one of two things to happen

- the film is actually good and solidifies this recent string of not-shit fox comic book movies

- the film is so bad that it fails miserably at the box office and rights revert to marvel/disney within the next few years