WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Ant-Man
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:46 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Crazy idea: What if Clark Gregg directed the movie? He's a talented writer/director, and tightly linked with Marvel to boot.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/6-Marvel ... 43341.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:27 pm 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

Fuck this shit, get Louis D´Esposito on it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:08 pm 
Tired of Earth.

It's official.

Looks like Peyton Reed is set to direct and McKay is on scripting duties. Godspeed to the both of them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:27 am 

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
It's official.

Looks like Peyton Reed is set to direct and McKay is on scripting duties. Godspeed to the both of them.

I don't really carte who directs at this point, but the fact McKay is rewriting the script has annoyed me. i think it, more than anything, confirms this will be a full on comedy, not just an action movie with funny moments.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:12 am 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
It's official.

I don't really carte who directs at this point, but the fact McKay is rewriting the script has annoyed me. i think it, more than anything, confirms this will be a full on comedy, not just an action movie with funny moments.

I wouldn´t say that. Remember when the Russos got the Winter Soldier? Things ended up up alot diferently then how people expected. Also, this is part of the MCU, and the MCU runs on a proven and tested formula. I don´t see them goofing Ant-Man up. Maybe Peyton would only work with a revised script by and Marvel got McKay.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:20 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

RuiBK wrote:
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
It's official.

I wouldn´t say that. Remember when the Russos got the Winter Soldier? Things ended up up alot diferently then how people expected. Also, this is part of the MCU, and the MCU runs on a proven and tested formula. I don´t see them goofing Ant-Man up. Maybe Peyton would only work with a revised script by and Marvel got McKay.

Peyton did want to do a Fantastic Four movie back in the day, and he aimed to make it overly faithful to the source material, including in terms of the time period. Besides maybe "Yes Man", I haven't enjoyed any of his movies but in stuff like "Down with Love" he does display some nice visual panache and commitment to tone and style. That said, I think this project could always have the cloud of "what could have been" looming overhead, and although I really don't have anything against McKay, the synopsis and getting him for this project concerns me that they have taken out the pathos that were found in the original story and instead, substituted them for outright comic wackiness. There's nothing wrong with that, but again, I think we will always be wondering what could have been of this project had Wright stayed at the helm.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:43 pm 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

The bullshit with Lang stems from Wright, so the "could have been" scenario went it comes from the pathos inherent to Pym starts there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:27 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

RuiBK wrote:
The bullshit with Lang stems from Wright, so the "could have been" scenario went it comes from the pathos inherent to Pym starts there.

There you go.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:00 am 

RuiBK wrote:
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
It's official.

Well my issue is the fact that a good director is a good director, whereas a good writer in one genre could be total crap in another. It is much easier to change genre's as a director than it is as a writer.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:25 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Official Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY-yoX2put0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:15 am 
Tired of Earth.

Given the poster that was also released today, I would've expected something a little more creative. Also, the CGI on those ants looks awful.

Still, the notion of a superhero with a kid to think about is a fresh angle for Marvel (hell, when was the last time that's been done in any superhero movie?), and Rudd looks like he can handle it. In those moments when he keeps his mouth shut. His line deliveries in the teaser looked awful, but I'm willing to chalk that up to the editing.

I'm willing to wait a bit longer for a full trailer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:13 am 

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Given the poster that was also released today, I would've expected something a little more creative. Also, the CGI on those ants looks awful.

Still, the notion of a superhero with a kid to think about is a fresh angle for Marvel (hell, when was the last time that's been done in any superhero movie?), and Rudd looks like he can handle it. In those moments when he keeps his mouth shut. His line deliveries in the teaser looked awful, but I'm willing to chalk that up to the editing.

I'm willing to wait a bit longer for a full trailer.

I guess the closest we have had to a superhero with a kid might be Silk Spectre I :D and then again there's also Raimi's anti-villain Sandman.

I'm not a huge fan of the teaser in the ways you mention either, one of the things I am liking is the cinematography, ie the angles of the shots etc,

i think the issue is the solomn tone of the trailer and monologue from Pym/Douglas is ruined by the quips by Lang/Rudd. they should have kept the whole teaser serious, or gone the whole hog and made everything after that "huh" funny, but it just goes back to serious then you get the "is it too late to change the name" so it's all over the place tonally.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:25 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

i think the issue is the solomn tone of the trailer and monologue from Pym/Douglas is ruined by the quips by Lang/Rudd. they should have kept the whole teaser serious, or gone the whole hog and made everything after that "huh" funny, but it just goes back to serious then you get the "is it too late to change the name" so it's all over the place tonally.

Honestly, I'm kind of the opposite. I thought the couple of moments of levity from Rudd were the only interesting parts. Otherwise, I found it to be extremely generic.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:58 am 

Godziller66 wrote:

Honestly, I'm kind of the opposite. I thought the couple of moments of levity from Rudd were the only interesting parts. Otherwise, I found it to be extremely generic.

Don't get me wrong, I like the comedic parts, but I felt like the trailer should have gone 100% serious 100% comedic, or a good 50/50 balance, instead of the 95% serious but with 2 little quips they went with.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:52 am 

Godziller66 wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I like the comedic parts, but I felt like the trailer should have gone 100% serious 100% comedic, or a good 50/50 balance, instead of the 95% serious but with 2 little quips they went with.

Yeah, that kind of made it weird.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:54 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

i think another trailer to get me excited anyone else feel the visuals and cinematography in the teaser was kinda generic and bland it felt like your normal comic book movie visuals

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:58 am 

Project862006 wrote:
i think another trailer to get me excited anyone else feel the visuals and cinematography in the teaser was kinda generic and bland it felt like your normal comic book movie visuals

Definitely. It wasn't fun or tense or intriguing like Guardians of the Galaxy or Winter Soldier. Those teasers/trailers got me really hyped. Hopefully the next Ant-man trailer's got a bit more going on. I think the word I'm looking for is "personality", honestly. I hope the next one has more personality to it.