WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Americans
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:30 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

feliciano182 wrote:
t3cii wrote:
I thought the latest episode might have been the best yet. The episode used the assassination attempt against Ronald Regan as its backdrop, and I like that the show uses these real life moments in history. I just wonder if they'll run out of relevant points in history to touch upon. Because the Cold War kind of fizzled out.

I'll probably say it was also the best episode so far, they really managed to create a lot of tension with Reagan's assasination attempt, and it was all great; I'm personally glad to find out the characterization for both Phillip and Elizabeth (one being more committed to "the cause" than the other) is sticking for good, and that it wasn't just some ruse to get the show moving in it's first episode.

As the series missing a chance to back itself with history, I don't know, I feel the show is pretty focused on making the whole thing about Elizabeth and Phillip's relationship, as well as the way both see the war from completely different perspectives; I think something like the Reagan assasination is bonus in a series like this, I can't see it simply ending because they've hit a wall in terms of how much the Cold War lasted.

I hope these two characters stay with the cause, if only because it would almost seem like propaganda for these two characters to turn their backs on their homeland. It's kind of weird how we are supposed to be rooting for them, even though the show is probably geared towards American viewers, yet these two work for what was, at the time, America's greatest threat. This is why I thought it was interesting that Elizabeth was the one devoted to the cause, as it's usually the male who is the more brainwashed of the two in these types of stories.

You're probably right about the use of historical moments, but the cold war did come to an end eventually. And it seems as if this show won't be going down an alternative timeline of U.S/Soviet history. They still need something to fuel the story, but I guess much of the cold war was so covert from the public, they could pretty much go down any road they want. I wonder how long this series is intended, or hoped, to be?

One other thing. While I praised Emmerich's acting in the first few episodes, I'm starting to wonder if it's working against him when he's acting opposite the other actors. He has a rather dry delivery, and when compared to the work of Richard Thomas, whose acting is more heightened, or even the actress who plays his wife, it sometimes feels like he is acting in another production from the other actors.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:00 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

t3cii wrote:
I hope these two characters stay with the cause, if only because it would almost seem like propaganda for these two characters to turn their backs on their homeland. It's kind of weird how we are supposed to be rooting for them, even though the show is probably geared towards American viewers, yet these two work for what was, at the time, America's greatest threat. This is why I thought it was interesting that Elizabeth was the one devoted to the cause, as it's usually the male who is the more brainwashed of the two in these types of stories.

I don't think I would like it as well if Phillip and Elizabeth decided to turn to the FBI should things get complicated, it's way too obvious and predictable for the kind of show this is, though I wouldn't be personally opposed if they just went on the run, trying to hide from the KGB or Directorate S, I could still see the show without much issues were that to happen.

And as you were mentioning with The Soviet Union being the US's biggest threat at the time, seeing this show makes me wonder if one day a network will be as bold as to release a show about Al-Qaeda terrorists to say the least, I mean, will thirty years be enough to forget ?

As for Elizabeth being the bolder and the more committed of the two, I'm not surprised, this generation is all about breaking stereotypes left and right, so I can't say I'm fully surprised that the one who's going to yell "FOR MOTHER RUSSIA !!!" with a red soviet flag is Kerri Russell.

t3cii wrote:
You're probably right about the use of historical moments, but the cold war did come to an end eventually. And it seems as if this show won't be going down an alternative timeline of U.S/Soviet history. They still need something to fuel the story, but I guess much of the cold war was so covert from the public, they could pretty much go down any road they want. I wonder how long this series is intended, or hoped, to be?

I think they will deal with the fallout and chaos after The Soviet Union starts to lose it's grip as a superpower, they could have the sleepers try to make bolder moves that would make both Phillip and Elizabeth question their commitment to the cause.

Or hell, maybe the handlers just leave them alone, and just when both our main characters feel their safe, Stan Beeman gets them !

t3cii wrote:
One other thing. While I praised Emmerich's acting in the first few episodes, I'm starting to wonder if it's working against him when he's acting opposite the other actors. He has a rather dry delivery, and when compared to the work of Richard Thomas, whose acting is more heightened, or even the actress who plays his wife, it sometimes feels like he is acting in another production from the other actors.

This wasn't his best episode, they did try to get the character into an emotional conflict with his wife and it didn't seem to work fully, I could see that they were trying to show that Stan Beeman has become a little desensitized from regular, normal life, but yeah, I'll agree that this wasn't Emmerich's best episode.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:04 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

So, the last episode was quite good, and might even be the best so far. I'm glad to see the quality of each episode seems to be getting better. That's pretty rare, these days. This was also the first episode where I was genuinely shocked with a few scenes, like "Holy shit! What's going on?". While the episode had a somewhat weird and pointless subplot involving the kids, Keri Russell is intense in this episode. Looks like it was a stroke of genius casting her.

Also, the girl who plays Nina is adorable.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:51 pm 

t3cii wrote:
So, the last episode was quite good, and might even be the best so far. I'm glad to see the quality of each episode seems to be getting better. That's pretty rare, these days. This was also the first episode where I was genuinely shocked with a few scenes, like "Holy shit! What's going on?". While the episode had a somewhat weird and pointless subplot involving the kids, Keri Russell is intense in this episode. Looks like it was a stroke of genius casting her.

Are we talking about the "unstable informant" episode or a new one ?

*Checks if there's new episode*

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:00 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I'm talking about the latest episode:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2637676/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:17 am 

It's been seen ! Now to discuss:

t3cii wrote:
So, the last episode was quite good, and might even be the best so far. I'm glad to see the quality of each episode seems to be getting better. That's pretty rare, these days. This was also the first episode where I was genuinely shocked with a few scenes, like "Holy shit! What's going on?".

Yeah, I thought the hood over Phillip's head was "pretty shocking" at the time, boy I had no fucking clue.

And when Claudia appeared out of nowhere, it was then when I knew I shat myself, and then again when Elizabeth started beating the shit out of her, and THEN AGAIN when Phillip accused Elizabeth.................and then Gregory ?!! MOTHA............

Seriously............who directed this episode ? Who wrote it ? Holy shit !

t3cii wrote:
While the episode had a somewhat weird and pointless subplot involving the kids, Keri Russell is intense in this episode. Looks like it was a stroke of genius casting her.

I think they're trying to make the kids into worthy characters, we haven't seen much from them, so I can understand why the showrunners would like to let us see that they can pull as much weight as both leads; specifically, I thought the issue was making the audience think about what would happen if Phillip and Elizabeth couldn't care for their children.

Also, they probably don't want the kids to turn into Anthony Jr. and Meadow Soprano.

Now as for Keri Russell, deffinitely her best performance so far, with each new episode the image of Felicity has been fading away more and more each week, she really didn't seem for the part at first, but things have deffinitely changed !

t3cii wrote:

Don't get jealous when Noah Emmerich taps that, because it's gonna happen :lol: !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:27 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

feliciano182 wrote:
Yeah, I thought the hood over Phillip's head was "pretty shocking" at the time, boy I had no fucking clue.

Yes, that was the scene that was so sudden. It was really handled well. Also, it helped that Phillip is generally not someone you get the jump on.

feliciano182 wrote:
And when Claudia appeared out of nowhere, it was then when I knew I shat myself,

That was one of the more engaging moments of the show so far. Up until now, I've taken a "wait and see" attitude towards the show, but I think I was on board after that moment. The show has operated with a lot of confidence, as there really hasn't been a weak episode yet.

feliciano182 wrote:
Now as for Keri Russell, deffinitely her best performance so far, with each new episode the image of Felicity has been fading away more and more each week, she really didn't seem for the part at first, but things have deffinitely changed !

The thing about her is, first, she kind of looks like she could be Russian. There's just something about her face, her build that reminds me of Russian gymnasts. I can't quite put my finger on it. And while I've often thought she was pretty, now that she's older and has matured, those looks of hers have become sharper, and harder.

I also just realized, the actress who plays Claudia was in my favorite segment from Paris, je t'aime

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJG0lqukJTQ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:44 pm 

t3cii wrote:
The thing about her is, first, she kind of looks like she could be Russian. There's just something about her face, her build that reminds me of Russian gymnasts. I can't quite put my finger on it. And while I've often thought she was pretty, now that she's older and has matured, those looks of hers have become sharper, and harder.

She deffinitely has the looks for the part, much more so than Matthew Rhys, whose curly hair makes me think more of a "New York Jewish" type of look rather than russian straight from Moscow.

t3cii wrote:
I also just realized, the actress who plays Claudia was in my favorite segment from Paris, je t'aime

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJG0lqukJTQ

Excellent acting from Margo Martindale once again.

But did I miss something with that narration ? I thought it was a little..........bad.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:41 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

feliciano182 wrote:
much more so than Matthew Rhys, whose curly hair makes me think more of a "New York Jewish" type of look rather than russian straight from Moscow.

He actually reminds me of Sam Rockwell in Confessions of a Dangerous Mind:

feliciano182 wrote:
But did I miss something with that narration ? I thought it was a little..........bad.

I think that was kind of the point. Basically she is reading something for her French class. She mentions she had been taking French lessons prior to going to Paris. Actually, I think it was her poor French that makes her short so charming. With all of the other shorts, the characters more or less feel at ease at being in Paris, but with her, it's clear that she is an American on vacation, and probably hadn't traveled much in her life.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:42 pm 

t3cii wrote:
I think that was kind of the point. Basically she is reading something for her French class. She mentions she had been taking French lessons prior to going to Paris. Actually, I think it was her poor French that makes her short so charming. With all of the other shorts, the characters more or less feel at ease at being in Paris, but with her, it's clear that she is an American on vacation, and probably hadn't traveled much in her life.

I suspected it was something like that, for a moment I thought she was writing a letter to someone.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:47 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Fellow comrades. It is time now for rundown for The Americans. All hail glorious Mother Russia.

SPOILERS

- So far this season, I don't think there has been a single dud episode. This is rather impressive considering it's a new show, but I think the reason why the show is so successful is because they do a strong job with character motivation and development. And each episode feels standalone, while also managing to have forward momentum. While there is still room for improvement, the show has surpassed all expectations.

- Claudia returns, to show off her bruises. I continue to be impressed by how much a badass Kerri Russell appears to be. Seriously, who knew Felicity could kick so much ass? "Yeah, I'm sorry all right...sorry I didn't kill you!". Burn.

- Phillip has a brief trip to New York and meets up with an old flame. We also get to hear him speak some Russian. I have to say, while I was only somewhat familiar with Matthew Rhys Evans before watching the show, he continues to be a very solid co-lead.

- We get another glimpse of the kids, again. I really don't like the son all that much. On asking his dad how New York was - "Did you see any pimps and junkies?". I hate this kid.

- Speaking of sons, is it me, or does Stan's son totally looks like a taller, moodier, Michael Cera?

- Speaking of Stan...

feliciano182 wrote:
t3cii wrote:

Don't get jealous when Noah Emmerich taps that, because it's gonna happen :lol: !

I honestly wasn't expecting that to happen, if only because her storyline seemed like it was more or less finished. Now, was Stan always interesting in Nadia, or was his partner's urgings for Stan to get laid what inspired him? Either way, we got to see her bum and some side boob, and that's all that matters. (On a side note, I watched this episode after Homeland, and the two made for an oddly kinky night of television).

- Later, Elizabeth grabs herself some nuts. And I know I made that joke in the Walking Dead thread, but it was a good joke back then, and it's still relateable by today's standards.

- Some more good acting with Elizabeth in bed, just after asking Phillip if he missed her (followed by a long pause). The expression on her face read "wtf? Well do you?".

- As good as the show is, I'd like to see a greater story arc besides these two going on the occasional mission, and having martial problems. Hopefully the end of the season will set up a more intricate plot for next season. Because right now, the espionage stuff feels kind of vague to me.

- I also think the endings to each episode tend to be a tad weak. I'm always left wondering if that is the end of an episode, since the channel I watch it on never cut to the credits.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:19 am 

t3cii wrote:
Fellow comrades. It is time now for rundown for The Americans. All hail glorious Mother Russia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLhC2eTkVCM

t3cii wrote:
So far this season, I don't think there has been a single dud episode. This is rather impressive considering it's a new show, but I think the reason why the show is so successful is because they do a strong job with character motivation and development. And each episode feels standalone, while also managing to have forward momentum. While there is still room for improvement, the show has surpassed all expectations.

I'm a little concerned in this regard, right now it's the middle of the night, so fuck any inquiry I might make, but I'm curious as to where the show's future stands now, there was a massive audience drop after the pilot, and I haven't heard anything about any second season confirmation.

Regardless, the show just gets better and better with each episode, that much has been true all along.

t3cii wrote:
Claudia returns, to show off her bruises. I continue to be impressed by how much a badass Kerri Russell appears to be. Seriously, who knew Felicity could kick so much ass? "Yeah, I'm sorry all right...sorry I didn't kill you!". Burn.

Balls Of Steel Award --> Keri Russell

You know what would be great ? Hearing the story of how she was cast as Elizabeth !

t3cii wrote:
We get another glimpse of the kids, again. I really don't like the son all that much. On asking his dad how New York was - "Did you see any pimps and junkies?". I hate this kid.

He's a bad little actor really, I can only see him getting killed at the end of a season to increase shock value, he doesn't bring the level of contribution that her sister does, who at the same time is more charming and is actually politically-inclined, she's the kind of character who could end up asking questions about who her parents really are, it may be a little cliché, but at least there's potential for her.

t3cii wrote:
Speaking of sons, is it me, or does Stan's son totally looks like a taller, moodier, Michael Cera?

I knew I was not alone :lol:

t3cii wrote:
I honestly wasn't expecting that to happen, if only because her storyline seemed like it was more or less finished. Now, was Stan always interesting in Nadia, or was his partner's urgings for Stan to get laid what inspired him? Either way, we got to see her bum and some side boob, and that's all that matters. (On a side note, I watched this episode after Homeland, and the two made for an oddly kinky night of television).

Dude, really ? There was waaaaaaay too much "I will protect you" from Stan to not mean anything; as for the latter, deffinitely a combination of both, he had a thing for Nina, but he was pushed over the edge by his partner.

Sour revelation from Stan's boss though, cold motherfucker :shock:

t3cii wrote:
Some more good acting with Elizabeth in bed, just after asking Phillip if he missed her (followed by a long pause). The expression on her face read "wtf? Well do you?".

Between that scene and Phillip lying to her face..............

...............DAMN ! THIS SHOW IS GOOD !

t3cii wrote:
As good as the show is, I'd like to see a greater story arc besides these two going on the occasional mission, and having martial problems. Hopefully the end of the season will set up a more intricate plot for next season. Because right now, the espionage stuff feels kind of vague to me.

It's sort of a unique combination of "monster of the week" and "case procedural" type of show, the threats are unique, but the way each episode develops is standardized, they get debriefed, they disguise themselves, they fuck someone over, they come back for dinner with the family !

That said, I'll agree that a larger, encompassing, arc should be written for the next season, something to always look forward to by the end of the episode.

And something ballsy goddamnit, staging an assasination, planning a heist on a federal/military facility.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:35 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

feliciano182 wrote:
I'm a little concerned in this regard, right now it's the middle of the night, so fuck any inquiry I might make, but I'm curious as to where the show's future stands now, there was a massive audience drop after the pilot, and I haven't heard anything about any second season confirmation.

According to wikipedia, a second season has been confirmed.
feliciano182 wrote:
You know what would be great ? Hearing the story of how she was cast as Elizabeth !

Yeah, I wonder if other actresses were considered? I mean, Evans had at least been on Brothers & Sisters, but what has Russell done prior to this series? I don't remember her being in anything recently.

feliciano182 wrote:
I knew I was not alone :lol:

Poor guy.

feliciano182 wrote:
It's sort of a unique combination of "monster of the week" and "case procedural" type of show, the threats are unique, but the way each episode develops is standardized, they get debriefed, they disguise themselves, they fuck someone over, they come back for dinner with the family !

Yes, exactly. I'm just wondering if the show has its hands tied by the fact that it is inspired by historical facts? I think it would be a really ballsy move is they actually created an alternate history.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:42 am 
Tired of Earth.

t3cii wrote:
...what has Russell done prior to this series? I don't remember her being in anything recently.

Career highlights prior to 2013 include
  • A reportedly godawful film called "Extraordinary Measures"
  • Voicing Wonder Woman in the 2009 DVD movie
  • A guest spot on Scrubs
  • An underrated little flick called "Waitress"
  • Mission: Impossible III
  • Her biggest claim to fame: Playing the title character on a series called "Felicity"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:46 am 

t3cii wrote:
According to wikipedia, a second season has been confirmed.

DAAAAAAAAAAA !

t3cii wrote:
Yeah, I wonder if other actresses were considered? I mean, Evans had at least been on Brothers & Sisters, but what has Russell done prior to this series? I don't remember her being in anything recently.

I think she has been trying her luck in movies in recent years, last thing I can remember her was a supporting role in Mission Impossible 3.

t3cii wrote:
Yes, exactly. I'm just wondering if the show has its hands tied by the fact that it is inspired by historical facts? I think it would be a really ballsy move is they actually created an alternate history.

Isn't the entire concept of russian sleeper agents in the 80's a myth ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:29 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Hey Curi, just browsing the forum, or have you started watching the show?

feliciano182 wrote:
Isn't the entire concept of russian sleeper agents in the 80's a myth ?

I don't know. I read somewhere the show was inspired by real sleeper agents, although maybe not ones who lived during the 80's. Plus, some Russian sleeper agents were found in the U.S in 2010.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:15 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Just browsing. I do try to keep an eye on all the active threads, just to make sure everyone's acting civil and the spambots are being kept at bay.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:05 am 

*Sounds the t3cii horn*

Was there an americans episode this week :| ?!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:08 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Nope. Repeat. I think the show comes back next week, though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:33 am 

t3cii wrote:
Nope. Repeat. I think the show comes back next week, though.

That's not odd at all !

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next