WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Americans
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:41 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Well, the episode they did air was the one where Philip and Elizabeth are tortured/beaten up. Maybe they were hoping to draw more viewers by airing their best episode?

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:52 am 
...you're locked in here with me!

t3cii wrote:
Well, the episode they did air was the one where Philip and Elizabeth are tortured/beaten up. Maybe they were hoping to draw more viewers by airing their best episode?

Hopefully !

I was thinking, maybe we could move these show discussions to the FB group ? Oscar has quite liked the show, and I think Mal sees it too !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:29 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

You could. Although I think Oscar has only seen the first four episodes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:21 pm 

HOLY.......SHIT

HOLY...........FUCKING..........SHIT

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:47 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

feliciano182 wrote:
HOLY.......SHIT

HOLY...........FUCKING..........SHIT

Oh, come on, it wasn't that good. :lol:

But I will say it did provide for some shocks. Definitely wasn't expecting that so soon, although I guess there is only three or four more episodes to go this season. I felt like Stan's duck speech was poorly written, though, and because of Emmerich's naturalistic acting style, it sounded unnaturally stilted. Still, the show has yet to have a bad episode, although it also hasn't really had a great episode either.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:26 pm 

t3cii wrote:
Oh, come on, it wasn't that good. :lol:

Are you serious ?

It was already the best episode of the season without that final scene.

t3cii wrote:
I felt like Stan's duck speech was poorly written, though, and because of Emmerich's naturalistic acting style, it sounded unnaturally stilted.

Maybe I can agree on Emmerich, but the speech was pretty great, and it was a great part that said plenty about Stan Beeman's character, this is him in his darkest moments, the kind of threat Phillip and Elizabeth now have on their hands is even greater.

Maybe my only qualm with the episode was that weird mission.........................I mean, what kind of FBI agents plan an assasination in the middle of sports-sunday ? And why did so many were on board with something as incredibly fucked up as playing vigilantes ?

t3cii wrote:
Still, the show has yet to have a bad episode, although it also hasn't really had a great episode either.

Who are you ? What have you done with t3cii ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:07 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

feliciano182 wrote:
Are you serious ?

Yes, I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

Okay, you didn't actually set me up for that one...

feliciano182 wrote:
but the speech was pretty great, and it was a great part that said plenty about Stan Beeman's character, this is him in his darkest moments, the kind of threat Phillip and Elizabeth now have on their hands is even greater.

I don't know, I didn't buy it. It just sounded like a rehearsed speech, which coming out of his mouth, sounded kind of phony.

feliciano182 wrote:
I mean, what kind of FBI agents plan an assasination in the middle of sports-sunday ? And why did so many were on board with something as incredibly fucked up as playing vigilantes ?

Yeah, it was a bit of a stretch.

feliciano182 wrote:
Who are you ? What have you done with t3cii ?

I am, who I am. No more, no less.

I should be honest, though, and tell you my cable cut out halfway through the episode, so I had to catch up tonight online. But I still feel like the show has not yet reached greatness, or that it has become appointment television viewing. At the moment it is a pretty good series, and that's not too shabby. They have not had any bad episodes. That's impressive.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:19 pm 

t3cii wrote:
I don't know, I didn't buy it. It just sounded like a rehearsed speech, which coming out of his mouth, sounded kind of phony.

It wasn't as good as it could've been, even though I liked the idea, to be able to see just how much had the death of Amador sent Beeman over the edge.

t3cii wrote:
But I still feel like the show has not yet reached greatness, or that it has become appointment television viewing. At the moment it is a pretty good series, and that's not too shabby. They have not had any bad episodes. That's impressive.

It's no Six Feet Under, but I think it's been pretty great so far, and it has been awesome how each new episode has just gotten progressively better.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:36 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

All right, it looks like I will be joining you, gentlemen. I like the show so far, but I think it's struggling in finding its hook: Is it a mission-of-the-week show? A continuous narrative? A show about turning on its head espionage stereotypes and putting them in more realistic settings? All of those things? I have to admit that I was up to Episode 5 and I just decided to stop watching. Not because the show was bad, but I couldn't quite figure out what would draw me to it. The whole extra-marital affairs is something that is getting really tired in drama overall, especially on TV. But I've been very bored and decided to check it out and I caught up with it in a day. I think the show keeps getting better and better.

So, this latest episode? Good. Very good. Definitely quite a few shockers and cool twists. I wish Amador had been given more time before. His death was a shock but I felt he was far too much of a background character before and I think that having him be more prominent would have been more effective. The whole flashbacks seemed to be the writer's way of covering their asses and make us give a shit about him. And it worked but I feel like if more of that had been done earlier int he season, it would have been better.

I don't really have anything more to say. I enjoyed it overall and I'm hooked to catch the next episode.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:14 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

So, are you guys still watching the show? I thought the last few episodes were alright, but I'm beginning to feel a slight decline in the episodes quality. I think the ending scene of last night's episode was marred by some bad writing. I also feel like Stan's arc is becoming less and less interesting, despite the fact that things should really be heating up for him at the moment. After a strong opening few episodes, I'm worried this show is starting to fizzle out.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:12 pm 

t3cii wrote:
So, are you guys still watching the show? I thought the last few episodes were alright, but I'm beginning to feel a slight decline in the episodes quality. I think the ending scene of last night's episode was marred by some bad writing. I also feel like Stan's arc is becoming less and less interesting, despite the fact that things should really be heating up for him at the moment. After a strong opening few episodes, I'm worried this show is starting to fizzle out.

I haven't yet seen the latest episode, I'll get to that as soon as I can.

As for the show, yeah, I think it's lost a bit of "strength", though the season is probably ending as it is, and if the finale is satisfying, then I can keep watching for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:20 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

The funny thing is, it actually was a pretty good episode. But I feel like Elizabeth and Phillip's handler and their whole mission continues to be a bit too vague and mysterious. At this point, I'd like to see a bigger picture begin to take shape.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:37 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I've also not seen the latest episode, but I quite liked the last one, particularly the ending. I got the sense the show is starting to find what it wants to be, but t3cii's comments on the latest one seem to suggest that not yet.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:50 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

TheMovieDude wrote:
but t3cii's comments on the latest one seem to suggest that not yet.

Well....not quite. It does set up a conflict at the end, it's just the actual conflict between the U.S and the Soviets feels a bit undercooked to me.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:24 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

So the finale aired this week. Anyone see it yet?

I thought the last 15 minutes or so were pretty tense, but I find myself drifting out whenever we hear the FBI or KGB (or whatever) go into their plans. There are quite a few moments where I have no idea what's going on. Really, it's the characters that have kept me interested in the show for this long.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:00 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

It was a solid finlae, but not exactly anything breathtaking, but it was cool to see all the characters getting all these close calls and dealing with them. I don't know what the guys from Collider were smoking when they said that it would have been a good series finale, though. And oh yeah, I really dug that they used one of my favorite Peter Gabriel songs at the end.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:02 pm 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

Watched the pilote today. And much to my dismay,since I´m already flooded with other shows, I liked it very much.

If there was a thing that suprised the most is the diference betwenn the leads characters. Elizabeth is all bussiness.Mother Russia ftw. Whereas Phillip is a very diferent character. He puts family first,even risking his cover(visiting the dipshit that like jailbait),or his assignment(the boot camp revenge).

And that last scene in the pilot,holy fuck.

Will follow.The question is if at the pace of the network that owns it here in Portugal or by the USA.Inclined for the first

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:59 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

this show worth watching?

i love pretty much anything fx puts out from the shield to sons of anarchy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:56 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Yeah, I think so. While I wouldn't say it's great, it is still very good, and remarkably consistent.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:34 pm 

COMRADES !

And so it begins, once again :D !

Really liked this episode, very powerful beginning of season, it seems like the show is building on it's foundations properly; I say this because typically you'd see one or two storylines being dropped from season to season if writers just aren't that good, but I can see everything's being kept up and nicely and there's even room for trashing Meryl Streep !

I'll say, it's funny how a few days ago, I watched the whole Pirates Of The Caribbean series and noticed how much the McGuffins and plot devices of that franchise built up it's entire structure; all those movies make practically all of it's story on objects, a sword, a coin, a heart, a map, a key, a ship, a chest, a cup, among practically a dozen others !

And what do I see when I finish this episode of The Americans ? That I'll have to look out for someone who's going to get stabbed by an arabic knife and try and guess what the hidden drawings on a bottle of pills mean :lol:

All in all, I found this to be a great start to the second season.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next