WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: The Americans
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:31 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

It was a great season starter for sure. The tone seemed more assured and it was very suspensful in spots, especially all the scenes in and around the fair. Great directing and use of sound and music there. It feels good to have it back.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:45 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

feliciano182 wrote:
COMRADES !

Sorry...

Been a while since we talked about a specific show, huh?

Anyways, I thought it was a pretty good episode. I was surprised that they kind of flew past the whole Elizabeth recuperating part and fast forwarded to her returning home to the kids. A few thoughts...

- How is it possible that Phillip's wife doesn't know he's wearing a wig? He must be in possession of some high quality wigs. I mean, what's up with that? Am I right? :) :lol:

(I'm sorry, it's been a while since I did one of these. :| )

- Keri Russell. Threesome. Discuss among yourselves.

- Moving on to the topic of uncomfortable nudity, Paige walks in on her parents doing a number on each other. Specifically, the number 69! Boom! Up top!

(Seriously, give me a week, I'll be in much better form) :|

- Someone on another forum made a valid point regarding Stan and Meryl Streep. Streep wasn't then known as the actress that she is now. His "It's Meryl Streep" wouldn't mean back then what it does today.

- I still find a lot (most) of the espionage/spy stuff goes over my heads. I find it to be the least interesting aspect of the show.

- Speaking of the kids, I find the relationship between them to be kind of unrealistic. Actually, the whole parent/children dynamic mostly doesn't really work for me. So, if the Russian stuff isn't that interesting, and the home life doesn't seem realistic, where does that leave me? I don't know. I really don't know.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:46 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Who watched the latest episode?

I really enjoyed it. Fast-paced and I don't think the show had really given us an idea of how they work as spies individually, so it was nice to get an idea of their detective skills. I'm really enjoying the quieter moments the show has had as well, it really brings home the suspense of the characters' lives.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:51 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I watched it. It was 'aight.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:08 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

For some reason, the alley scene made me think that Keri Russell would have been a good Laurie for Watchmen, anyone agree?

Also, I wish we had gotten some reaction from the kids or her to Raiders of the Lost Ark. The references to the pop culture of the time are always fun, but they're always more fun in shows if we see them react to it somehow or if they become part of the story in one way or another.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:59 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

TheMovieDude wrote:
For some reason, the alley scene made me think that Keri Russell would have been a good Laurie for Watchmen, anyone agree?

No, not really. I feel like both her, and Akerman, lacked the breezy sexuality to play her. She's a good actress, but not who I would see playing Laurie.

TheMovieDude wrote:
Also, I wish we had gotten some reaction from the kids or her to Raiders of the Lost Ark. The references to the pop culture of the time are always fun, but they're always more fun in shows if we see them react to it somehow or if they become part of the story in one way or another.

I wonder how much longer they'll play around with Paige snooping on her parents? What would it mean to the show if the kids found out?

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:10 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

So, the finale was last night. Overall, not bad, but that's usually the case with the show. It's never outright bad, all of the acting and direction is more than competent, but it is almost never a show that makes me desperate for the next episode. I thought the killer resolution was a bit of a stretch, and there were times I felt lost with all the various plots going on. Still, the finale ten minutes or so made me intrigued for the next season.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:01 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Yeah, I completely agree with you, t3cii. Overall in some ways, it was superior to the first season but in others, it created a whole new set of problems: storylines I couldn't really bring myself to care about like the whole Margaret thing, the Stan subplots, etc. That said, it had some great moments and it did a nice job expanding the storyline.

The last scenes made me interested in what could happen in the next season, but that's what happened with the first season finale and the whole deal with Paige did not really go anywhere. I do wonder if the KGB's plans for Paige are what they had in mind for the children of illegals back in the day, though.

I'm kinda happy I have one less show to watch, though haha. Since january, I was keeping up near simultaneously with this, Game of Thrones, Believe, Orphan Black, Cosmos, Mad Men, Fargo and Louie. I bailed on Believe a while ago because it was awful, and now it's been cancelled. I'm sort of 50-50 on Cosmos, which is great, but I don't see it as something I should commit myself to. Mad Men's season is over next sunday. I was thinking of bailing on this one as well because of the boring subplots but I'm glad I stayed the whole way through. And not only that, but notice that most of the stuff I watch is at least sort of grimdark, that can be a bit taxing after a while.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:04 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

t3cii wrote:
So, the finale was last night. Overall, not bad, but that's usually the case with the show. It's never outright bad, all of the acting and direction is more than competent, but it is almost never a show that makes me desperate for the next episode. I thought the killer resolution was a bit of a stretch, and there were times I felt lost with all the various plots going on. Still, the finale ten minutes or so made me intrigued for the next season.

It was good meeting t3cii............you were a good friend.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:30 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Can I assume you disagree with my assessment?

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:18 pm 

t3cii wrote:
Can I assume you disagree with my assessment?

Absolutely, this season was amazing.

Granted, it may not have the dramatic hook other shows of it's kind may have, but the improvements from season one to this one were just incredible; not only do we got a full-season plot with different threads and storylines, but it was a much richer experience with powerful content, the show is now much more interesting and bolder than it was before...............if it gets a third season that is :cry:

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:32 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

To each his own, but this season just didn't grab me (or, from the sounds of it, Oscar). Still, it's a very good show. That's not too shabby. I would totally recommend the show to anyone.

But you have to admit, the reveal that Jared is the killer was kind of bogus. So some woman manages to seduce him to the point where he was willing to kill his own family? His own, highly trained, parents, with no one hearing him? Then leaves the room, only to return, casually smile at Phillip, then give an Emmy award winning performance of pretending to be shocked at finding their bodies? No, don't buy it. I think they had no idea who the killer was when they first filmed the scene.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:01 am 

Alright t3cii ... as requested !

Now to take about that amazing episode.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:22 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I was actually surprised that the scene even took place. I was thinking Elizabeth would say "we're getting a divorce", or some other excuse, but then Philip actually spilled the beans. Now that the cat is out of the bag, how do they proceed with Paige's future? Revealing to Gabriel that they told her has bought them some time, but I don't think the Centre is going to wait around for a decision. That means making a move against Philip and Elizabeth. Which could mean we see Philip and Elizabeth going rouge. There's also Philip's general attitude towards Gabriel. We've seen Gabriel play the kindly father figure to both Philip and Elizabeth, but we haven't seen his true nature, I think. Philip is making demands, but he might not be in the position to do so. Gabriel asks him if he's cracking, and so you have to think Philip is going to be on a short leash, even if he doesn't know it.

Off topic, but should we resurrect the Mad Men thread? Final season, and all?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:36 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

t3cii wrote:
I was actually surprised that the scene even took place. I was thinking Elizabeth would say "we're getting a divorce", or some other excuse, but then Philip actually spilled the beans. Now that the cat is out of the bag, how do they proceed with Paige's future? Revealing to Gabriel that they told her has bought them some time, but I don't think the Centre is going to wait around for a decision. That means making a move against Philip and Elizabeth. Which could mean we see Philip and Elizabeth going rouge. There's also Philip's general attitude towards Gabriel. We've seen Gabriel play the kindly father figure to both Philip and Elizabeth, but we haven't seen his true nature, I think. Philip is making demands, but he might not be in the position to do so. Gabriel asks him if he's cracking, and so you have to think Philip is going to be on a short leash, even if he doesn't know it.

I think we totally should do that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:40 am 

t3cii wrote:
I was actually surprised that the scene even took place. I was thinking Elizabeth would say "we're getting a divorce", or some other excuse, but then Philip actually spilled the beans.

I think it had been so heavily telegraphed this season that it just had to happen right there, I don't think the show is on the same level as many in the audience predict, in the sense that sure, we're dealing with Paige finding out her parents are spies, but I know I am thinking I'll be seeing her soon wearing a wig and playing decoy in some operation of the Center.

As for the revelation, I loved the scene where they just come back and see her innocently eating a sandwich and watching TV, after what seemed to be a deep state of depression over the discovery, gotta give it to Phillip, she's still a little girl.

t3cii wrote:
Now that the cat is out of the bag, how do they proceed with Paige's future? Revealing to Gabriel that they told her has bought them some time, but I don't think the Centre is going to wait around for a decision. That means making a move against Philip and Elizabeth. Which could mean we see Philip and Elizabeth going rouge.

As Oscar said, they might be forced to choose between their country and their family. If they choose family however, how will that play out ? Will they defect to the FBI ? Seems very unlikely to me given the pilot, maybe they'd be hunted by both the US and the Soviet Union ?

t3cii wrote:
There's also Philip's general attitude towards Gabriel. We've seen Gabriel play the kindly father figure to both Philip and Elizabeth, but we haven't seen his true nature, I think. Philip is making demands, but he might not be in the position to do so. Gabriel asks him if he's cracking, and so you have to think Philip is going to be on a short leash, even if he doesn't know it.

Claudia please come back and save the Jennings from Gabriel The Dormant Psychopath :cry:

It occurs to me that if Gabriel is going to play any card against Phillip, it will be with his son, which just scares me to death.

t3cii wrote:

Are you kidding me ? The t3cii breakdown returns ? HELL YEAH :D !

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:12 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

feliciano182 wrote:
As Oscar said, they might be forced to choose between their country and their family. If they choose family however, how will that play out ? Will they defect to the FBI ? Seems very unlikely to me given the pilot, maybe they'd be hunted by both the US and the Soviet Union ?

And the thing is, Henry still doesn't know.

feliciano182 wrote:
It occurs to me that if Gabriel is going to play any card against Phillip, it will be with his son, which just scares me to death.

"Where are the plans? Won't talk, eh? Very well. You asked for it...". (proceeds to do awful Eddie Murphy impression.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:43 pm 

t3cii wrote:
And the thing is, Henry still doesn't know.

Which is much more fun since the writers won't just repeat the same type of scene with Henry, I can imagine him discovering who their parents are from either seeing them do something horrible, with Paige, or ...

... from Stan.

t3cii wrote:
"Where are the plans? Won't talk, eh? Very well. You asked for it...". (proceeds to do awful Eddie Murphy impression.

Phillip: No please, NO ! NO MORE ... KILL MY SON ! KILL HIM !