WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Agents of SHIELD
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:06 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

DoomsdayClock wrote:
I saw the first two as well. Are we being nitpicky? Doesn't it take time for some shows to get their stride?

I said the same about Hell On Wheels, and that show is terrible.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:43 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

DoomsdayClock wrote:
I saw the first two as well. Are we being nitpicky? Doesn't it take time for some shows to get their stride?

Generally, I'd say that's probably true. But I don't think the show has got off onto a great start. It's watchable, I guess.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:23 pm 
Tired of Earth.

DoomsdayClock wrote:

I enjoyed the two I watched. Nothing amazing, but it was good. I'll keep going for now.

This is basically my attitude as well. I have enough faith in Whedon to keep watching for a while longer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:32 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

The show has officially been picked up for a full season so hopefully now they have 22 episodes to play with, and a bit more budget, hopefully the series can lay some proper roots and improve in quality.

I thought the first 2 episodes were fun, but not amazing, but the same can be said for EVERY Joss Whedon show, they are all slow burners for the first season, that's how Whedon works, Firefly might be the exception but mostly only because the setting was compelling enough to carry the show imho, and the worst offender of this is probably Dollhouse and Dollhouse went on to be one of my favourite shows.

I am going to give AoS at least an entire 22 episode season to find it's feet, because I feel it will probably take at least 10 episodes, maybe 12, and I assume the second half of this season will tie into CA:TWS, and then the second season will probably be a big build up for A:AoU so those cannot be missed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:41 am 
Tired of Earth.

Don't forget about the Thor sequel coming next month.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:39 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

The show has officially been picked up for a full season so hopefully now they have 22 episodes to play with, and a bit more budget, hopefully the series can lay some proper roots and improve in quality.

I thought the first 2 episodes were fun, but not amazing, but the same can be said for EVERY Joss Whedon show, they are all slow burners for the first season, that's how Whedon works, Firefly might be the exception but mostly only because the setting was compelling enough to carry the show imho, and the worst offender of this is probably Dollhouse and Dollhouse went on to be one of my favourite shows.

I am going to give AoS at least an entire 22 episode season to find it's feet, because I feel it will probably take at least 10 episodes, maybe 12, and I assume the second half of this season will tie into CA:TWS, and then the second season will probably be a big build up for A:AoU so those cannot be missed.

That is a hell of a lot of episodes to have to wait for the show to find its footing. Consider that the average show on AMC or HBO usually has 13 in one season.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:19 pm 
Tired of Earth.

t3cii wrote:
That is a hell of a lot of episodes to have to wait for the show to find its footing. Consider that the average show on AMC or HBO usually has 13 in one season.

Well, how do we know the series will need the full 22 to start getting good? If you only want to give this show 13 episodes to find it's niche, I personally think that sounds entirely reasonable.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:07 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I just feel like most shows should be able to find their feet by at least episode five or six. 13 episodes is almost half a season. 13 episodes is basically an entire season of The Walking Dead. I would hope we would have a clear idea of what kind of show this is going to be sooner than episode 13. While Lost was often criticized for being meandering at times, those first four or five episodes of season 1 are high quality in terms of story, direction, acting, etc. It's funny, with Agents of Shield, the scope is much larger than that of Lost's, and yet Lost feels much bigger in scale despite being mostly set on an island. And Lost also had 24 episodes to work with, so it's not a case of needing to do more in a smaller time frame.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:05 pm 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

You are assuming that they aren´t hinting the ressurgence of Hydra yet. There´s a question in the air right now. Who is giving people super-powers using a gamma irradiated version of the super-soldier serum mixed with Extremis, with a a delivery system made of Chitauri metal?

As it is I think that the guys at the show are creating their own path. The last episode was evidence of that. Ian Quinn and Professor Hall are new to the MCU.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:00 pm 

t3cii wrote:

Don't most people consider the entire first season of "The Wire" relatively poor? I'd also probably say it took nearly until the end of season 2 for The walking Dead to find it's feet.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:33 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

t3cii wrote:

Don't most people consider the entire first season of "The Wire" relatively poor?

No they don't. While I've heard for some fans it took them a while to get into it, I've never heard it said that the entire season was "relatively poor". It's certainly not a commonly held belief. But keep in mind that most seasons of The Wire were around 13 episodes long, or less. The show often took a slow burn approach, where it wasn't immediately obvious where the show was headed. Actually, I think that's true of most shows on HBO and AMC. As for TWD, I think it was hurt by the fact its first season was split into two (settle down, feliciano) and was only 8 episodes long.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:58 pm 
Tired of Earth.

i thought this last episode was pretty good, and it solidified a future villain as well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:11 am 

t3cii wrote:
t3cii wrote:

Don't most people consider the entire first season of "The Wire" relatively poor?

No they don't. While I've heard for some fans it took them a while to get into it, I've never heard it said that the entire season was "relatively poor". It's certainly not a commonly held belief. But keep in mind that most seasons of The Wire were around 13 episodes long, or less. The show often took a slow burn approach, where it wasn't immediately obvious where the show was headed. Actually, I think that's true of most shows on HBO and AMC. As for TWD, I think it was hurt by the fact its first season was split into two (settle down, feliciano) and was only 8 episodes long.

When I use the word relatively, I mean in comparison with the other seasons. and when you say that shows like that are slow burners, the same is true of EVERY Joss Whedon show, which was my entire point. They always start of kind of corny and episodic, but after a while you begin to see a greater arc, unlike JJ Abrams shows for example which wave the main story arc in your face from the beginning of episode 1.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:05 pm 
The Watcher

Saw episode three. Started out good then trailed off. I might watch two more, but I don't think I'll make it past that.

I also having trouble with an "elite team" in which everyone is 11 years old. You'd think Coulson would want seasoned veterans handling these missions. One young "prodigy" I can see, but four?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:58 pm 
Tired of Earth.

As the show keeps going, I find myself wishing harder and harder that half of Fitz/Simmons falls victim to the Whedon curse. I don't care which of them dies, but the team still has one comic relief too many, and either one of them would be perfectly capable as the resident mad scientist without assistance. Moreover, the remaining character would be left with some degree of pathos and character development, which is something that this pair badly needs.

Speaking of which, I really hope the midseason comes with the big reveal about what exactly happened to Coulson. The show will never kick into a higher gear until that happens.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:04 pm 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

It´s pretty much threat of the week right now.

And remember what the peruvian captain said?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:45 pm 
Tired of Earth.

RuiBK wrote:

You have something specific in mind?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:39 am 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
RuiBK wrote:

You have something specific in mind?

Middle age crisis lol

As it is, the problem is Skye greeness(is this a word lol) and May´s unwillingness to engage in action. Both are being adressed. That being said, I understand why they are all so "green(Ward strikes me as the opposite of that). Coulson is building them from the ground up and provides the counterpoint.Still on Leonor Varela character´s interaction with Coulson, you can see that he´s old guard, clinging to some older ideas/ideals, but he´s open to working with somone greener.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:12 am 
Tired of Earth.

Watching the latest episode now, and I just had a crazy thought: How great would it be if AIM was behind this whole Centipede project?

Also, I'm reminded of an old saying about comic books and sci-fi/fantasy stories: If you don't see the body, they ain't dead.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:17 am 

DoomsdayClock wrote:
Saw episode three. Started out good then trailed off. I might watch two more, but I don't think I'll make it past that.

I also having trouble with an "elite team" in which everyone is 11 years old. You'd think Coulson would want seasoned veterans handling these missions. One young "prodigy" I can see, but four?

I think in episode 4 he says something about giving people second chances because he got a second chance, that's the way I see the team, not some elite team, but a team of people that have been given a second chance by Coulson, misfits if you will, Skye after Rising Tide, May after semi-retirement, Ward because he was seen as an abrasive asshole, and I assume Fitz/Simmons fucked something up royally at some point which has yet to be disclosed.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
As the show keeps going, I find myself wishing harder and harder that half of Fitz/Simmons falls victim to the Whedon curse. I don't care which of them dies, but the team still has one comic relief too many, and either one of them would be perfectly capable as the resident mad scientist without assistance. Moreover, the remaining character would be left with some degree of pathos and character development, which is something that this pair badly needs.

Speaking of which, I really hope the midseason comes with the big reveal about what exactly happened to Coulson. The show will never kick into a higher gear until that happens.

I have been predicting half of Fitz/Simmons to die since before the show hit, it's kind of predictable, but I still think it will probably happen. Not sure which half though.

I think Fitz/Simmons are being played to a degree with an air of mystery, but I don't think that is working yet, they need their own episode soon to rectify that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next