WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum


Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Agents of SHIELD
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:06 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
DoomsdayClock wrote:
I saw the first two as well. Are we being nitpicky? Doesn't it take time for some shows to get their stride?


I said the same about Hell On Wheels, and that show is terrible.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Agents of SHIELD
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:43 pm 
Offline
Dog Carcass in Alley
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:55 am
Posts: 6493
Location: Toronto, Ont, Canada
DoomsdayClock wrote:
I saw the first two as well. Are we being nitpicky? Doesn't it take time for some shows to get their stride?


Generally, I'd say that's probably true. But I don't think the show has got off onto a great start. It's watchable, I guess.

_________________
Image

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Agents of SHIELD
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:23 pm 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:01 am
Posts: 8035
Location: Clackamas, OR
DoomsdayClock wrote:
I saw the first two as well. Are we being nitpicky? Doesn't it take time for some shows to get their stride?

I enjoyed the two I watched. Nothing amazing, but it was good. I'll keep going for now.

This is basically my attitude as well. I have enough faith in Whedon to keep watching for a while longer.

_________________
This is truly a madhouse. And I'm the lunatic running it. I've spent three years wondering if I should be proud or ashamed.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Agents of SHIELD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:32 am 
Offline
Government-Sponsored Weirdo
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:39 am
Posts: 7191
Location: Everywhere, Everywhen, UK.
The show has officially been picked up for a full season so hopefully now they have 22 episodes to play with, and a bit more budget, hopefully the series can lay some proper roots and improve in quality.

I thought the first 2 episodes were fun, but not amazing, but the same can be said for EVERY Joss Whedon show, they are all slow burners for the first season, that's how Whedon works, Firefly might be the exception but mostly only because the setting was compelling enough to carry the show imho, and the worst offender of this is probably Dollhouse and Dollhouse went on to be one of my favourite shows.

I am going to give AoS at least an entire 22 episode season to find it's feet, because I feel it will probably take at least 10 episodes, maybe 12, and I assume the second half of this season will tie into CA:TWS, and then the second season will probably be a big build up for A:AoU so those cannot be missed.

_________________
We're all actors, Laurie. I'm just an actor who read the script. :?
ImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Agents of SHIELD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:41 am 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:01 am
Posts: 8035
Location: Clackamas, OR
Don't forget about the Thor sequel coming next month.

_________________
This is truly a madhouse. And I'm the lunatic running it. I've spent three years wondering if I should be proud or ashamed.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Agents of SHIELD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:39 am 
Offline
Dog Carcass in Alley
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:55 am
Posts: 6493
Location: Toronto, Ont, Canada
AvatarIII wrote:
The show has officially been picked up for a full season so hopefully now they have 22 episodes to play with, and a bit more budget, hopefully the series can lay some proper roots and improve in quality.

I thought the first 2 episodes were fun, but not amazing, but the same can be said for EVERY Joss Whedon show, they are all slow burners for the first season, that's how Whedon works, Firefly might be the exception but mostly only because the setting was compelling enough to carry the show imho, and the worst offender of this is probably Dollhouse and Dollhouse went on to be one of my favourite shows.

I am going to give AoS at least an entire 22 episode season to find it's feet, because I feel it will probably take at least 10 episodes, maybe 12, and I assume the second half of this season will tie into CA:TWS, and then the second season will probably be a big build up for A:AoU so those cannot be missed.


That is a hell of a lot of episodes to have to wait for the show to find its footing. Consider that the average show on AMC or HBO usually has 13 in one season.

_________________
Image

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Agents of SHIELD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:19 pm 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:01 am
Posts: 8035
Location: Clackamas, OR
t3cii wrote:
That is a hell of a lot of episodes to have to wait for the show to find its footing. Consider that the average show on AMC or HBO usually has 13 in one season.

Well, how do we know the series will need the full 22 to start getting good? If you only want to give this show 13 episodes to find it's niche, I personally think that sounds entirely reasonable.

_________________
This is truly a madhouse. And I'm the lunatic running it. I've spent three years wondering if I should be proud or ashamed.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Agents of SHIELD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:07 pm 
Offline
Dog Carcass in Alley
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:55 am
Posts: 6493
Location: Toronto, Ont, Canada
I just feel like most shows should be able to find their feet by at least episode five or six. 13 episodes is almost half a season. 13 episodes is basically an entire season of The Walking Dead. I would hope we would have a clear idea of what kind of show this is going to be sooner than episode 13. While Lost was often criticized for being meandering at times, those first four or five episodes of season 1 are high quality in terms of story, direction, acting, etc. It's funny, with Agents of Shield, the scope is much larger than that of Lost's, and yet Lost feels much bigger in scale despite being mostly set on an island. And Lost also had 24 episodes to work with, so it's not a case of needing to do more in a smaller time frame.

_________________
Image

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Agents of SHIELD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:05 pm 
Offline
Silk Swinger of Suburbia
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:22 am
Posts: 1726
Location: Portugal
AvatarIII wrote:
The show has officially been picked up for a full season so hopefully now they have 22 episodes to play with, and a bit more budget, hopefully the series can lay some proper roots and improve in quality.

I thought the first 2 episodes were fun, but not amazing, but the same can be said for EVERY Joss Whedon show, they are all slow burners for the first season, that's how Whedon works, Firefly might be the exception but mostly only because the setting was compelling enough to carry the show imho, and the worst offender of this is probably Dollhouse and Dollhouse went on to be one of my favourite shows.

I am going to give AoS at least an entire 22 episode season to find it's feet, because I feel it will probably take at least 10 episodes, maybe 12, and I assume the second half of this season will tie into CA:TWS, and then the second season will probably be a big build up for A:AoU so those cannot be missed.


You are assuming that they aren´t hinting the ressurgence of Hydra yet. There´s a question in the air right now. Who is giving people super-powers using a gamma irradiated version of the super-soldier serum mixed with Extremis, with a a delivery system made of Chitauri metal?


As it is I think that the guys at the show are creating their own path. The last episode was evidence of that. Ian Quinn and Professor Hall are new to the MCU.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Agents of SHIELD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:00 pm 
Offline
Government-Sponsored Weirdo
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:39 am
Posts: 7191
Location: Everywhere, Everywhen, UK.
t3cii wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:
The show has officially been picked up for a full season so hopefully now they have 22 episodes to play with, and a bit more budget, hopefully the series can lay some proper roots and improve in quality.

I thought the first 2 episodes were fun, but not amazing, but the same can be said for EVERY Joss Whedon show, they are all slow burners for the first season, that's how Whedon works, Firefly might be the exception but mostly only because the setting was compelling enough to carry the show imho, and the worst offender of this is probably Dollhouse and Dollhouse went on to be one of my favourite shows.

I am going to give AoS at least an entire 22 episode season to find it's feet, because I feel it will probably take at least 10 episodes, maybe 12, and I assume the second half of this season will tie into CA:TWS, and then the second season will probably be a big build up for A:AoU so those cannot be missed.


That is a hell of a lot of episodes to have to wait for the show to find its footing. Consider that the average show on AMC or HBO usually has 13 in one season.



Don't most people consider the entire first season of "The Wire" relatively poor? I'd also probably say it took nearly until the end of season 2 for The walking Dead to find it's feet.

_________________
We're all actors, Laurie. I'm just an actor who read the script. :?
ImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Agents of SHIELD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:33 pm 
Offline
Dog Carcass in Alley
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:55 am
Posts: 6493
Location: Toronto, Ont, Canada
AvatarIII wrote:
t3cii wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:
The show has officially been picked up for a full season so hopefully now they have 22 episodes to play with, and a bit more budget, hopefully the series can lay some proper roots and improve in quality.

I thought the first 2 episodes were fun, but not amazing, but the same can be said for EVERY Joss Whedon show, they are all slow burners for the first season, that's how Whedon works, Firefly might be the exception but mostly only because the setting was compelling enough to carry the show imho, and the worst offender of this is probably Dollhouse and Dollhouse went on to be one of my favourite shows.

I am going to give AoS at least an entire 22 episode season to find it's feet, because I feel it will probably take at least 10 episodes, maybe 12, and I assume the second half of this season will tie into CA:TWS, and then the second season will probably be a big build up for A:AoU so those cannot be missed.


That is a hell of a lot of episodes to have to wait for the show to find its footing. Consider that the average show on AMC or HBO usually has 13 in one season.



Don't most people consider the entire first season of "The Wire" relatively poor?


No they don't. While I've heard for some fans it took them a while to get into it, I've never heard it said that the entire season was "relatively poor". It's certainly not a commonly held belief. But keep in mind that most seasons of The Wire were around 13 episodes long, or less. The show often took a slow burn approach, where it wasn't immediately obvious where the show was headed. Actually, I think that's true of most shows on HBO and AMC. As for TWD, I think it was hurt by the fact its first season was split into two (settle down, feliciano) and was only 8 episodes long.

_________________
Image

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Agents of SHIELD
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:58 pm 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:19 pm
Posts: 8131
Location: 1060 W. Addison St.
i thought this last episode was pretty good, and it solidified a future villain as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Agents of SHIELD
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:11 am 
Offline
Government-Sponsored Weirdo
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:39 am
Posts: 7191
Location: Everywhere, Everywhen, UK.
t3cii wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:
t3cii wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:
The show has officially been picked up for a full season so hopefully now they have 22 episodes to play with, and a bit more budget, hopefully the series can lay some proper roots and improve in quality.

I thought the first 2 episodes were fun, but not amazing, but the same can be said for EVERY Joss Whedon show, they are all slow burners for the first season, that's how Whedon works, Firefly might be the exception but mostly only because the setting was compelling enough to carry the show imho, and the worst offender of this is probably Dollhouse and Dollhouse went on to be one of my favourite shows.

I am going to give AoS at least an entire 22 episode season to find it's feet, because I feel it will probably take at least 10 episodes, maybe 12, and I assume the second half of this season will tie into CA:TWS, and then the second season will probably be a big build up for A:AoU so those cannot be missed.


That is a hell of a lot of episodes to have to wait for the show to find its footing. Consider that the average show on AMC or HBO usually has 13 in one season.



Don't most people consider the entire first season of "The Wire" relatively poor?


No they don't. While I've heard for some fans it took them a while to get into it, I've never heard it said that the entire season was "relatively poor". It's certainly not a commonly held belief. But keep in mind that most seasons of The Wire were around 13 episodes long, or less. The show often took a slow burn approach, where it wasn't immediately obvious where the show was headed. Actually, I think that's true of most shows on HBO and AMC. As for TWD, I think it was hurt by the fact its first season was split into two (settle down, feliciano) and was only 8 episodes long.


When I use the word relatively, I mean in comparison with the other seasons. and when you say that shows like that are slow burners, the same is true of EVERY Joss Whedon show, which was my entire point. They always start of kind of corny and episodic, but after a while you begin to see a greater arc, unlike JJ Abrams shows for example which wave the main story arc in your face from the beginning of episode 1.

_________________
We're all actors, Laurie. I'm just an actor who read the script. :?
ImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Agents of SHIELD
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:05 pm 
Offline
The Watcher
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:58 am
Posts: 3650
Location: New York
Saw episode three. Started out good then trailed off. I might watch two more, but I don't think I'll make it past that.

I also having trouble with an "elite team" in which everyone is 11 years old. You'd think Coulson would want seasoned veterans handling these missions. One young "prodigy" I can see, but four?

_________________
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music - George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Agents of SHIELD
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:58 pm 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:01 am
Posts: 8035
Location: Clackamas, OR
As the show keeps going, I find myself wishing harder and harder that half of Fitz/Simmons falls victim to the Whedon curse. I don't care which of them dies, but the team still has one comic relief too many, and either one of them would be perfectly capable as the resident mad scientist without assistance. Moreover, the remaining character would be left with some degree of pathos and character development, which is something that this pair badly needs.

Speaking of which, I really hope the midseason comes with the big reveal about what exactly happened to Coulson. The show will never kick into a higher gear until that happens.

_________________
This is truly a madhouse. And I'm the lunatic running it. I've spent three years wondering if I should be proud or ashamed.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Agents of SHIELD
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:04 pm 
Offline
Silk Swinger of Suburbia
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:22 am
Posts: 1726
Location: Portugal
It´s pretty much threat of the week right now.

And remember what the peruvian captain said?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Agents of SHIELD
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:45 pm 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:01 am
Posts: 8035
Location: Clackamas, OR
RuiBK wrote:
And remember what the peruvian captain said?

You have something specific in mind?

_________________
This is truly a madhouse. And I'm the lunatic running it. I've spent three years wondering if I should be proud or ashamed.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Agents of SHIELD
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:39 am 
Offline
Silk Swinger of Suburbia
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:22 am
Posts: 1726
Location: Portugal
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
RuiBK wrote:
And remember what the peruvian captain said?

You have something specific in mind?


Middle age crisis lol

As it is, the problem is Skye greeness(is this a word lol) and May´s unwillingness to engage in action. Both are being adressed. That being said, I understand why they are all so "green(Ward strikes me as the opposite of that). Coulson is building them from the ground up and provides the counterpoint.Still on Leonor Varela character´s interaction with Coulson, you can see that he´s old guard, clinging to some older ideas/ideals, but he´s open to working with somone greener.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Agents of SHIELD
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:12 am 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:01 am
Posts: 8035
Location: Clackamas, OR
Watching the latest episode now, and I just had a crazy thought: How great would it be if AIM was behind this whole Centipede project?

Also, I'm reminded of an old saying about comic books and sci-fi/fantasy stories: If you don't see the body, they ain't dead.

_________________
This is truly a madhouse. And I'm the lunatic running it. I've spent three years wondering if I should be proud or ashamed.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Agents of SHIELD
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:17 am 
Offline
Government-Sponsored Weirdo
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:39 am
Posts: 7191
Location: Everywhere, Everywhen, UK.
DoomsdayClock wrote:
Saw episode three. Started out good then trailed off. I might watch two more, but I don't think I'll make it past that.

I also having trouble with an "elite team" in which everyone is 11 years old. You'd think Coulson would want seasoned veterans handling these missions. One young "prodigy" I can see, but four?


I think in episode 4 he says something about giving people second chances because he got a second chance, that's the way I see the team, not some elite team, but a team of people that have been given a second chance by Coulson, misfits if you will, Skye after Rising Tide, May after semi-retirement, Ward because he was seen as an abrasive asshole, and I assume Fitz/Simmons fucked something up royally at some point which has yet to be disclosed.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
As the show keeps going, I find myself wishing harder and harder that half of Fitz/Simmons falls victim to the Whedon curse. I don't care which of them dies, but the team still has one comic relief too many, and either one of them would be perfectly capable as the resident mad scientist without assistance. Moreover, the remaining character would be left with some degree of pathos and character development, which is something that this pair badly needs.

Speaking of which, I really hope the midseason comes with the big reveal about what exactly happened to Coulson. The show will never kick into a higher gear until that happens.


I have been predicting half of Fitz/Simmons to die since before the show hit, it's kind of predictable, but I still think it will probably happen. Not sure which half though.

I think Fitz/Simmons are being played to a degree with an air of mystery, but I don't think that is working yet, they need their own episode soon to rectify that.

_________________
We're all actors, Laurie. I'm just an actor who read the script. :?
ImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.128s | 11 Queries | GZIP : Off ]