WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:11 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

t3cii wrote:
Or you could create one. Must I do everything?

Not really, since you're being so "nice" !

t3cii wrote:
The thing is, it just feels like a gimmick to me. Like Homeland with Carie being bipolar. And, actually I think the main female lead of "Bones" is supposed to have Asperger's, or at least is inspired by someone who might have it. Or the countless number of detective and doctor characters who are assholes, but are good at their job so it's okay that they're assholes.

In Carrie's case though, is she a bad character ;) ?

I see what you mean though, but I feel there's more conventional characters nowadays, and I personally welcome everything that somewhat breaks the mold, specially such a unique portrayal of asperger.

t3cii wrote:
Yeah, she is so awkward you wonder how she possibly could be hired? I'll assume she is "brilliant" or "great at her job" or something other justification that one of the characters will use. But her interview with the husband is so socially inept it's a wonder she is allowed to carry a firearm.

Well, we do see her visiting crime scenes and the morgue, maybe she has issues with the interrogation and the interaction aspect, but I wouldn't count out the possibility that Levine's character dealt with that unless she necessarily had to do it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:07 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

So, the 2nd episode of The Bridge was quite good. I'd say it lacks Gerardo Naranjo's cinematic direction and the atmosphere of real El Paso, but that said, it was an improvement on the Pilot in many ways. For instance, Diane Krueger seems a lot more comfortable playing Sonya now and it seems like the writers understand her better. Like t3cii I still find it questionable how is it that she got that kind of job, but I think we are getting hints that Ted Levine's character definitely had a hand in that. Overall, the plot is thickening in interesting ways, bringing up certain questions: Do the illegal immigrants have something to do with a bigger picture or were they just put in there in order to be killed? What's the deal with the guy looking for the prostitute? Overall, a pretty interesting episode, although it didn't advance the story significantly, instead, it seems like it's laying up the tracks for the rest of the series.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:53 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

We should probably post a SPOILERS warning when we discuss the show for anyone (feliciano) who hasn't seen it. Maybe a new thread is in order?

TheMovieDude wrote:
For instance, Diane Krueger seems a lot more comfortable playing Sonya now and it seems like the writers understand her better.

The scene where she has sex with that guy she met at the bar was funny, but I wonder are there cases of Asperger's that are this extreme in real life? How could someone not be taken advantage of in such a situation? But it brings me back to my belief that someone like her couldn't be hired to be a detective. So much of being a detective is about trying to read people. If you don't understand even the most basic human interaction cues, how can you interrogate a suspect, or compassionately talk to a witness? I assume Levine's character is the reason she has a job, but I do hope this is something that is actually dealt with, and not just as an aside. The supporting characters seem to notice something is off with her, but I hope her disorder(?) creates a genuine conflict at some point and her role as a detective is challenged. Because otherwise I think it strains the show's credibility.

TheMovieDude wrote:
Overall, the plot is thickening in interesting ways, bringing up certain questions: Do the illegal immigrants have something to do with a bigger picture or were they just put in there in order to be killed?

I'm going to go with "bigger picture". The killer did specifically ask why one woman's death in El Paso is a big deal, but not the deaths of thousands in Juarez.

Speaking of which, what do you think of the show's depiction of Juarez?

TheMovieDude wrote:
What's the deal with the guy looking for the prostitute?

Yeah, I don't know. And what's the deal with that creepy guy from the trailer? Are we really to believe he is the killer as the show seems to be suggesting? Because somehow that doesn't ring true to me. And as for the guy looking for the prostitute, maybe he exists as a way of tracking the girl down (was she a prostitute?) since the lead characters don't yet have any leads? I really don't know.

One other thing. Did you get a Lynchian vibe coming from Lyle Lovett, or was it just me?

Also, what's up with Anabeth Gish's character? While I usually like her in things I see of her, her story is kind of distracting in this. I'm also worried that Levine's character and the Mexican lead character are the only likable characters in the show.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:55 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Yes, I should have announced that there would be spoilers, at least. Sorry about that.

I've met a few people with Asperger's and I'd say that some people have it to further extremes than Sonya in the show. I do wonder what Sonya's background may be to the point that she can't recognize that it's pretty normal for a woman to get calls from her husband during work or if that's just another thing that can happen with Asperger's.

As for the depiction, I preferred it in the Pilot, simply because they actually shot it there. Or at least, they shot it in El Paso. So there were more shots of the characters in El Pasoan exteriors and that gave it a real sense of authenticity and atmosphere to it. Here it looks like due to budget constraints, they had to settle for interiors because they can't really show you what's outside because they didn't film there. That said, I think the depiction is pretty accurate. I hope they show the sleaze-less parts of Juarez, like the suburbs and the more posh parts of town. Also, it's obvious that they are using Tijuana and LA as doubles for Juarez and although they do come close, the color palette of Juarez is less colorful and varied, even in the Downtown. But still, it's pretty close to the real thing but I do hope we do get to see other parts of town.

The guy in the trailer and the guy looking for the girl are my examples of how the show seems to be throwing curveballs at the audience in regards to who could be the killer. Or could there be there are multiple ones for different girls? I must say that one of the theories in regards to the women murders in Juárez was that there were or are multiple killers so who knows if the show is trying to approach that somehow.

And yeah, I did get a bit of a Lynchain vibe from Lyle Lovett. One of the oddest moments in the show, definitely. Even the whole three-string bean salad was very Twin Peaks-esque, so who knows what he's up to.

Also I will agree that her story is kind of distracting. I think the show is kind of abusing what I've heard called "storyteller cuts" in which they show you something with the intention of establishing it as something important later. There's nothing bad with that but I think it can be frustrating when they are giving you so little to go by, although in the show's case it works becuase you are following along with the mystery and the characters trying to solve it.

I really don't have that much of an issue with those two and to a certain extent Sonya being the only likeable characters in this. Especially if the whole theme is of them fighting against their surroundings, but I will say that they better add more dimension to those supporting characters, I really wouldn't like them to fall flat.

Post subject: The Bridge
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:36 am 

WELL HERE IT IS BITCHES !

Now if our dear Curi would be as wonderfully kind as to merge the TV thread posts in here, I could start saying why the second episode was so awesome.

[NOTE: Done and done. --"Curiosity Inc."]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:14 pm 

t3cii wrote:
The scene where she has sex with that guy she met at the bar was funny, but I wonder are there cases of Asperger's that are this extreme in real life? How could someone not be taken advantage of in such a situation?

So far my knowledge on asperger's is a little limited, but the signs are pretty legit: she is unable to engage in adequate social interactions, she has difficulty displaying or receiving affection, is unable to understand nuances in language, like jokes and sarcasm. She could very well be taken advantage of, and I sense that given last episode's mistake of hers, it could very well happen.

At this point, I'm really enjoying her character, she's much better constructed than Carrie Matthison, the latter having a rather convenient bipolar disorder, whereas Sonya Cross is a case of asperger from opening theme to final credits.

t3cii wrote:
The supporting characters seem to notice something is off with her, but I hope her disorder(?) creates a genuine conflict at some point and her role as a detective is challenged. Because otherwise I think it strains the show's credibility.

Seems like something incredibly easy to write, consider an episode where Marco Rubio or Hank Wade are absent..........she'll have to fend off for herself and she'll most likely fuck it up inmensely.

t3cii wrote:
I'm going to go with "bigger picture". The killer did specifically ask why one woman's death in El Paso is a big deal, but not the deaths of thousands in Juarez.

I do wonder, what are the little pearls the killer leaves behind ? I thought they were ear-rings of some sort, but I'm unsure, they seem very interesting nonetheless.

t3cii wrote:
Yeah, I don't know. And what's the deal with that creepy guy from the trailer? Are we really to believe he is the killer as the show seems to be suggesting? Because somehow that doesn't ring true to me. And as for the guy looking for the prostitute, maybe he exists as a way of tracking the girl down (was she a prostitute?) since the lead characters don't yet have any leads? I really don't know.

The creepy guy, along with the widow, might be as Oscar points out, storylines that will collide in interesting ways with the main plot surrounding Marco and Sonya; I honestly wouldn't put any of my chips on "Trailer Dude" being the killer.

t3cii wrote:
One other thing. Did you get a Lynchian vibe coming from Lyle Lovett, or was it just me?

AAAAAAAAAAANNNNND there's your bigger picture !

The guy represents what seems to me like the real villains of the show, people who might be profiting (or perhaps were being hurt) by whatever the widow's husband was doing with that tunnel.

Post subject: Re: The Bridge
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:16 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Hey, my computer went on the fritz, and so I'm using an older one that isn't all that much better, so if I don't reply much to this thread don't take that to mean a lack of interest.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:22 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

After watching last night's episode, I'm starting to think this isn't a very good series. It's not a bad series, but it does feel to be less than gripping. It's strange that Sonya had very little presence in last night's episode. If this were the first time someone watched the show, they would be forgiven for not knowing Sonya is supposed to be one of the main leads. It seems to be trying to be more of an ensemble piece, but it doesn't quite work. I feel like there are problems that prevent it from really taking off (SPOILERS):

1. Sonya as a character. Your enjoyment of the show really comes down to how you feel about this character, I think. It's strange, she's so cartoon like that whenever she pops up on screen in this episode, it was almost as if she walked off the set from another show and onto this one. This is an analogy I often use, but the reason I always use it is because it best describes a problem a lot of shows face, in that not all of the characters feel like they belong to the same series. Her scenes are starting to feel jarring, and as interesting as it was to make her have some form of autism, I think it will ultimately be to the shows detriment. Murder is emotionally destructive, and these cops are now involved in what may turn out to be a long, emotionally grueling case. It could provide for a lot of drama, but it's hampered by the fact that one of the leads doesn't seem to be able to understand basic human interaction. In a story like this I think we need to have these characters be able to get scared, frustrated, excited, and determined, and we really don't see that from Sonya.

2. The inclusion of Annabeth Gish's character. While they did (clumsily, IMO) connect her with the show's larger narrative, I still feel like her scenes end up feeling like a bit of a detour. And I like Gish. I think she can be a sexy actress. But her scene with Marco at her home just felt very abrupt. What's more, I'm not sure they really built up to the idea that Marco would cheat on his wife.

3. Matthew Lillard's character, while well acted, is really unlikeable. I know show's don't need to have likable characters, but considering the importance that seems to be placed on him, it's kind of a drag that this is how the show has decided to tie in with the serial killer. Also, his cup scout reporter (as an aside, what does it say about the show that I can't remember any of these character's names?) accomplice is really bland.

4. The serial killer himself is less than interesting. He's making some vague point about how people look at Juarez or something like that, but there haven't been as many ominous or put you on the edge of your seat moments involving the murders. Maybe it's because it's been done so many times, and done better, but I'm finding it a bit difficult to care about it all.

5. As mentioned earlier, the show is trying (and failing) to be an ensemble piece. You get these weird characters that seem both connected, and unconnected to the show. Honestly, I think it would have been better if the whole show was set in Juarez. Make it about two Mexican cops, keep the focus primarily on these two characters with everyone else fleshing out the universe, and really make us scarred of this serial killer. Look at The Silence of the Lambs. It slowly gave us these really creepy glimpses of Buffalo Bill's world, and it's not until very late in the movie that we find out why he's really killing those girls, and the reason is even more unsettling than we could have predicted. I feel the show really just wants to shed some light on Juarez, but it might have been better if the show was just set there, and we go to come to the points the killer seems to be making on our own.

I'll give it another shot, but this show is making me appreciated The Americans much more.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:33 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

While I enjoyed the latest episode, I also found myself having issues with it. I agree with you that Sonya was strangely pushed into the background this time around and I do agree that there could be more dramatic weight placed on her. And I don't think it's necessarily because of the whole Asperger thing, but because the writers aren't really bothering to have more drama for her. Note that this was a pretty short episode, about 38, 39 minutes without the "Previously on..." segment, so it's not like it would make an episode overlong or anything.

The Annabeth Gish/Marco Ruiz thing was terrible. I honestly would almost say it was a "Jump the shark" moment. I was really liking his character because he was an honest cop, a family man and then he does this with no build up or anything whatsoever?! What, is he like overly horny?! I thought he couldn't quite have sex yet because of his operation?! It was just ridiculous and wrong on all levels. And again, why do shows always have to have love affairs as subplots? It was beyond dumb.

And yeah, I'll agree Matthew Lillard is unlikeable but he is not uninterested, I think that's what keeps me watching him, though. But we really do need to see another side of him soon because he's starting to get a bit on my nerves as well.

I think that keeping the serial killer so mysterious is what leads to him being less than interested. It seems like the writers are going out of their way to keep our suspicions open on those weird guys looking for the girl, but maybe a little misdirection would be nice. Like making you think one of them is probably the killer but he isn't. They did this very cleverly and with details in Twin Peaks with Leo Johnson, Jacques Renault, etc. The suspects have to be just as interesting as the leads to keep us watching.

And I will agree with you in that the show is REALLY struggling to connect as an ensemble piece. Again, I think that this is a result of the writers keeping things vague too long. But I think what happens is that the writers really took the idea from the Swedish show and just wanted to run with it. It's not a bad idea at all in principle, I don't know how the swedish (or danish?) version ran with it, but I almost think it would be better if it was just focused on Marco Ruiz and Sonya, with all of the characters being pushed a lot more into the background. And I don't think it would deter from showing us the contrasts between both cities/countries.

Also, I have a few nitpicks. There are times the show does a great job of showing you a street or house in Juarez or El Paso and you think "That's exactly what it's like!" but in this episode, I shaked my head quite a few instances. First of all, the Franklin Mountains don't exactly lead to desert and they are huge, couldn't they have like a CGI plate of them in the background? They are mountains, they are huge and impossible to miss and not exactly in the middle of nowhere. Depending on where you are, it's actually quite full of houses and businesses. And the Obreras street in Juarez does exist, but that was obviously Tijuana. It doesn't really look like Juarez especially when our buses are ugly but not THAT ugly.

I'm still with the show but that whole deal with Marco and Annabeth was just total BS.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:42 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

TheMovieDude wrote:
The Annabeth Gish/Marco Ruiz thing was terrible. I honestly would almost say it was a "Jump the shark" moment. I was really liking his character because he was an honest cop, a family man and then he does this with no build up or anything whatsoever?! What, is he like overly horny?! I thought he couldn't quite have sex yet because of his operation?

Right, I forgot he just had an operation. But yeah, it was poorly built up. We are not really given much of an indication that Marco is a pussy hound. I suppose his wife asking if his partner was attractive is a tip off, but that's a bit too subtle if that is the case. The two didn't have much chemistry, either. In fact, it seems that all it takes to get her hot is to be nice to her. But I think if they wanted to hint that Marco was cheating on his wife, they should have had a scene, maybe right before he hears of the first murder, of Marco leaving some woman's house. Have him kiss her, say he'll see her later. Than later in the episode have him go home and greet his wife who it would be revealed is a completely different woman.

TheMovieDude wrote:
But we really do need to see another side of him soon because he's starting to get a bit on my nerves as well.

Someone on another forum asked, do we really need to have likable characters to watch a show? While I don't think they necessarily have to be likable, there has to be something that makes the audience connect with them. It's like Pete or Don on Mad Men, they do a lot of bad things, but they often have moments where you can understand where they are coming from.

TheMovieDude wrote:
I think that keeping the serial killer so mysterious is what leads to him being less than interested. It seems like the writers are going out of their way to keep our suspicions open on those weird guys looking for the girl, but maybe a little misdirection would be nice. Like making you think one of them is probably the killer but he isn't. They did this very cleverly and with details in Twin Peaks with Leo Johnson, Jacques Renault, etc. The suspects have to be just as interesting as the leads to keep us watching.

I dunno, I just don't think the show has made me care about them catching this villain. It'll probably turn out to be Marco's son, or something.

TheMovieDude wrote:
I almost think it would be better if it was just focused on Marco Ruiz and Sonya, with all of the characters being pushed a lot more into the background.

This. The X-Files is the perfect example of how to do a premise like this (for the most part). Mulder and Scully both played off each other quite well, despite Scully seemingly having little personality. She kept Mulder grounded, and her personality wasn't completely off putting. They really weren't your typical leads, but they somehow made sense in the world the show was set in. But you also had solid supporting characters like Skinner, and a very mysterious antagonist in Cigarette Smoking Man. Actually, the latter is a great example of how you can tell the audience very little about a character, but if the role is well cast, they won't mind, because the character is so compelling. Plus, the show managed to build to a story on a much larger scale. But it still revolved around these two characters.

TheMovieDude wrote:
Also, I have a few nitpicks. There are times the show does a great job of showing you a street or house in Juarez or El Paso and you think "That's exactly what it's like!" but in this episode, I shaked my head quite a few instances. First of all, the Franklin Mountains don't exactly lead to desert and they are huge, couldn't they have like a CGI plate of them in the background? They are mountains, they are huge and impossible to miss and not exactly in the middle of nowhere. Depending on where you are, it's actually quite full of houses and businesses. And the Obreras street in Juarez does exist, but that was obviously Tijuana. It doesn't really look like Juarez especially when our buses are ugly but not THAT ugly.

I think the show might also be hurt by its lack of budget. But they should still find a way to make a few locations recognizable to the audience. What I mean is, when you watched the Wire, they would film against abandoned houses, and street corners, and much of the series takes place outside. But you got a sense of your surroundings. You had that one vacant lot that the kids hung out in, or you had the pit where D'Angelo, Bodie and Wallace worked. Or the docks. Maybe it was because these were real locations, but it never felt like they were on a set.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:32 pm 

So, I found the latest episode to be a little underwhelming, it might've been one of those filler episodes where the plot needs to move forward, and thus the writers handle this bit of baggage now to save space for the drama later, hopefully at least.

I'm short on time, but I'll still address a few points:

Sonya

I feel that most of my enjoyment from the show comes from Marco if I'm to be honest, I find him to be an intriguing character from a very powerful and relevant background, Demián Bichir plays him very charmingly, but is also keen on displaying the cynicism of the character when the situation calls for it, which is something I find quite compelling as well.

As for Sonya, her behavior does elicit some comedic moments, but frankly, that's how it is with many people that have severe asperger's, their awkward and bizarre behavior doesn't inmediately communicate to people that they have a condition, as for the nature of the case, remember that her sister is dead and that she grieves for her, her lack of understanding of human interaction doesn't mean she has no emotional turmoil within her. As for her behavior this episode, you could perhaps argue that she was relegated to the background, but frankly that's not bad at all, considering that the final moments of the pilot consisted of Marco acting as her sidekick.

With this episode, the show communicates me that it's writers put as much emphasis on Marco than they do on Sonya, that's frankly a concern less I have to worry about.

Annabeth Gish

I found her story to be very interesting with the whole tunnel thing, and then when the "cowboy lawyer" type appeared, but it sometimes wavers between dull and uninteresting stages; it's certainly a weird weird thing when you're watching a cop show and the procedural aspect seems more intriguing than the other parts.

Matthew Lillard

Am I the only who thinks he is an incredibly humane character ? Sure, he's a reporter, but how exactly did that make him automatic scumbag ? What few really good scenes I found from the last episode was when he cowered in fear at the sight of the murder, I can't remember the last time I saw a guy crying about seeing someone killed in a TV show, not even in The Wire, though I'm probably forgetting someone.

Whatever the case, and while I can agree hasn't "taken off" yet, I find him to be interesting on the fact alone that he reacts realistically to his environment, and in a way that both Sonya and Marco can't afford to do by nature of the show alone, sadly.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:37 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

feliciano182 wrote:
Am I the only who thinks he is an incredibly humane character ? Sure, he's a reporter, but how exactly did that make him automatic scumbag ?

Are we watching a different show? Almost every scene of his has him being arrogant, or putting someone down, or throwing his weight around.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:23 pm 

t3cii wrote:
Are we watching a different show? Almost every scene of his has him being arrogant, or putting someone down, or throwing his weight around.

Yes, I know he's a dick, but he's not a totally irredeemable character, far from it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:02 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I'm not saying he's irredeemable, I just find him to be mostly unlikable. And it's not that the show shouldn't have an unlikable character, it's just that they have tied him to the killer, with the killer including him in his plans, and so this unlikable character is now an important one. Right now, Marco and Levine's character are the only ones I like and don't mind spending time with. This early in the series, that's a bit worrying.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:58 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

The latest episode was VERY underwhelming. I've seen the whole "Missing person is out somehwere, being recorded live and we must find her before it's too late!" done many times before and done better. The twist at the end was interesting, though and I have to give them credit for at least getting the Juarez streets right this time. It's also nice to see Stephanie Sigman getting some work after Miss Bala.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:59 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I've been watching some of The Killing, recently. I know the show has received criticism, and that's why I haven't really delved into it, but I think the show does atmosphere better than The Bridge, which has been mostly lacking in this show. Also, Peter Saarsgard and Elias Koteas star in it, so it's got that going for it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:36 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I've been thinking of starting The Killing (multiple rhymes, woah) as well. Most of the criticism I remember hearing is that it has a crappy 2nd season, though, although apparently it has swung back into form.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:27 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

The latest episode was better than the last few previous ones. I have to say that for every shot of Juarez or El Paso that the show gets right, there are some glaring and rather gratituous mistakes in geography. But at least we seem to be getting more shots of the actual cities than before. The same could be said for the script. For every thing about living in the border that the show gets right, suddenly it comes up with weird fallacies. Like that rich woman that hung Christine's horses? That EVERYONE would know a woman like that in Juárez is just too much of a stretch. She'd have to be a really popular public figure rather than just a crime boss of sorts. Despite my own personal experiences, not everyone in Juárez knows someone who's been to jail or involved in crime. Especially now, post-crime wave. This show really has a chance of doing for Juarez what The Wire did for Baltimore, and I'm afraid they are letting that go in favor of fallacies like these. At the end of the day, it is a mystery show more than anything else, but if it's going to try to do more, it really should be smarter about it.

Also, I'm really starting to find that Sonya's character is pushing the show's credibility into near-oblivion. It was forgiveable in the first few episodes because we were starting to get to know her and the show, but we are almost half-way through and I still don't quite see how she has managed to be in the position she has been in despite her Asperger's. I've been watching Homeland and having a character with a mental condition can actually work if you make us believe she'd be there for good reasons. Carrie in that show really rubs people the wrong way, yet, she's also a very talented investigator, and despite her issues that have been called out many times, we can understand what she's doing there, at least. With Sonya, I don't think we've seen if she's actually that much of a good detective or what is it that she brings to the table that would make the PD think it's a balancing act between her talent and her condition. Keep in mind that being a Homicide Detective in El Paso is not the same as being a Homicide Detective in Juárez. El Paso has the lowest crime rate in the US, from what I know, with less than ten or twelve murders ocurring every year. It would be an interesting point for the show for Sonya to deal with such a high profile case after only taking care of crimes of passion, but the show doesn't go there. Something like that would help us understand how is it that she is in that position. If they are holding back that answer, it's really frustrating because it really doesn't help the credibility of the show.

Speaking of credibility, the show did push it too far in this episode at times, aside from the ones already mentioned:
1. The narcos not knowing what a serial killer would be. We actually do have a translation for serial killer in spanish. Either the writers are really ignorant or they just decided to drop that in favor of having those two make "intellectual conversation." It was really contrived.

2. I'm surprised Frye did not say absolutely anything about his phone. Given that it's his key to his recent infamy and to his partying, I'm surprised that there was no scene of him panicking to find it. Maybe in the next episode, but again, credibility being pushed too far.

3. The weirdo being caught with his pants off while digging the whole, again, just way too coincidential.

Now, on to what I liked:
I liked the fall out with Ruiz' infidelity. Thankfully they dealt with it quickly and it seemed to take a bit of a toll on him, which made his character more interesting. I also applaud the show for not going for the obvious. When that american teen went to Juárez, I assumed she'd be killed and if she was found, it would pop the lid open on the case since everyone would want to be involved now that an american girl has been killed. Now, THAT has happened and having it happen would prove the killer right, which in turn could make for an interesting and truthful message for the show. But it would also be rather obvious. Having her father killed is a lot more interesting and made for a good cliff-hanger ending. Also, Sonya and the killer talking was a cool moment, and I liked how Sony and Ruiz are getting closer together.

Overall, it was an interesting episode. Far from boring, especially compared to the previous one that was supposed to be thrilling. But the show does have quite a few cracks to fix to come closer to its potential.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:24 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I agree with you pretty much on all of your points on this episode.

TheMovieDude wrote:
This show really has a chance of doing for Juarez what The Wire did for Baltimore, and I'm afraid they are letting that go in favor of fallacies like these. At the end of the day, it is a mystery show more than anything else, but if it's going to try to do more, it really should be smarter about it.

I think it's the fact the show is about two detectives after a serial killer that prevents it from being like The Wire. The Wire often dealt with wire tapping and trying to bring down the Barksdales (or Stanfields), but it widened it's net every season, and often the drug game seemed incidental. It let things happen very slowly, so it wasn't until the final three episodes that something really major happened. I'm not sure you can do that with a show like this. Which is frustrating since they keep trying to shoehorn a social commentary in almost every episode.

TheMovieDude wrote:
Also, I'm really starting to find that Sonya's character is pushing the show's credibility into near-oblivion. It was forgiveable in the first few episodes because we were starting to get to know her and the show, but we are almost half-way through and I still don't quite see how she has managed to be in the position she has been in despite her Asperger's. I've been watching Homeland and having a character with a mental condition can actually work if you make us believe she'd be there for good reasons

It is pretty ridiculous. Even her scene where she's having dinner with Marco's family and she flatly says "this doesn't taste good", and Marco's wife just rolls with it. It's like, I know the characters have made comments about Sonya, but they never go beyond "this chick is kind of eccentric", and never "okay, how the fuck did this chick get this job? What's wrong with her?". How can any detective have such a lack of tact and still manage to be a detective? I've said this earlier, but being a detective is like 99 percent human interaction. If you can't understand tone, inflection, or not be capable of displaying empathy or concern, how can you possibly be a detective? And nothing that we've seen of her suggests she's so brilliant we should overlook her social ineptitude.

With Carrie, she can at least take medication. And we see she generally has good instincts. We have not seen this with Sonya.

I know I always say I could have done such and such better, but honestly, remove her from the show and replace her with Ted Levine's character and have Levine play off Marco, and the show would be so much more fun to watch. Also, will this show end with the killer having been caught by season's end? One of The Killing's criticisms was it carried it's season 1 storyline into season 2. This is another thing about shows of this nature, you end up being too tied up to the main premise that it is often very difficult to branch out into other directions.

TheMovieDude wrote:
The narcos not knowing what a serial killer would be.

Really. Are there no bootleg DVD shops in Juarez that carry Se7en?

TheMovieDude wrote:
The weirdo being caught with his pants off while digging the whole, again, just way too coincidential

There are too many red herrings on this show.

TheMovieDude wrote:
When that american teen went to Juárez, I assumed she'd be killed and if she was found, it would pop the lid open on the case since everyone would want to be involved now that an american girl has been killed.

Speaking of which, how did Sonya recognize her? I feel like I was missing something.

TheMovieDude wrote:
Overall, it was an interesting episode. Far from boring, especially compared to the previous one that was supposed to be thrilling. But the show does have quite a few cracks to fix to come closer to its potential.

Unfortunately, the show has just been the warm up act for a much better show that will be returning tomorrow night....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:27 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

From what I've read, they intend to end this season with the resolution to this case, and the next season would be a whole new case. I think it's always tough for shows that set themselves on one premise and have everything that happens revolve around it. In Twin Peaks, a lot of people got frustrated that they were taking too long to solve the mystery but it didn't help that the storylines in the second season were awful, and once they did solve the mistery, people lost interest because there really wasn't anything else to hold on to. I know it's a sitcom, but I think How I Met Your Mother has worked well within this too, because you can keep coming back for laughs from different situations the characters get themselves into every week, while the mystery of the mother is slowly solved. But even that show has outstayed it's welcome and irritated it's audience, so it really is a matter of what the show brings to itself.

And again, that scene with the narcos was so transparently dumb. Se7en was a pretty popular flick here (as everywhere else, I'd assume) and you can catch it at videostores both bootleg and legit, and on TV pretty often. But let's not forget where the show is set: In Juárez, where there were hundreds of serial killings of women in the span of a decade. Again, how could these guys not know what a serial killer is?

Also when Sonya recognized her, I also felt I was missing something really big. Maybe that was part of the twist, althought it felt to me like a "Where are the deleted scenes?" moment.

I'm superexcited about Breaking Bad coming back. It's too bad I can't watch the episodes immediately as they air though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next