WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Bridge
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:38 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I wonder how next season would work? It's because of the nature of the first killing that the two detectives are even working together. Once the case is solved, is there any real reason for the two to continue staying in contact?

TheMovieDude wrote:
And again, that scene with the narcos was so transparently dumb. Se7en was a pretty popular flick here (as everywhere else, I'd assume) and you can catch it at videostores both bootleg and legit, and on TV pretty often. But let's not forget where the show is set: In Juárez, where there were hundreds of serial killings of women in the span of a decade. Again, how could these guys not know what a serial killer is?

I was actually just joking with that Se7en comment, but even still, anyone with a television, or internet, or books would know what a serial killer is. I have to assume the guy did know, but was just making a point.

TheMovieDude wrote:
Also when Sonya recognized her, I also felt I was missing something really big. Maybe that was part of the twist, althought it felt to me like a "Where are the deleted scenes?" moment.

I thought it was going to be revealed she's Sonya's daughter or something. She seemed to have similar mannerisms to Sonya, although where Sonya is abrupt and impersonal, this girl is naive.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:16 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Thus far, I also don't see how they would stay together but I guess we have to wait and see. I hope it's not something as contrived as so many things have been in the show thus far.

I know the Se7en thing was a joke :P but again, that scene was just, ugh. It was just badly written and acted.

And the girl being related to Sonya also crossed my mind, but God, if that was the case, this show really is in love with its red-herrings.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:10 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

TheMovieDude wrote:
That EVERYONE would know a woman like that in Juárez is just too much of a stretch. She'd have to be a really popular public figure rather than just a crime boss of sorts. Despite my own personal experiences, not everyone in Juárez knows someone who's been to jail or involved in crime. Especially now, post-crime wave.

How many people we know though ? That are intimate or at least on a "know who" basis with her ? To my knowledge it's just Fausto, a "colleague" to call it anything, and Marco, who would obviously know her being a police officer and all.

TheMovieDude wrote:
Carrie in that show really rubs people the wrong way, yet, she's also a very talented investigator, and despite her issues that have been called out many times, we can understand what she's doing there, at least.

While I agree with you that Sonya is pushing it a bit as an incredibly functional asperger case, there's a lot of bullshit to Carrie's condition as well, at least Sonya has the condition 24/7, and it is treated as an integral piece of the character, by which everything she does is filtered, with Carrie it's just a plot device; if there's an incredibly tense situation she can't deal and it suits the plot, then she'll go into a crisis, which is all kinds of bullshit with patients with this kind of diagnoses.

TheMovieDude wrote:
The narcos not knowing what a serial killer would be. We actually do have a translation for serial killer in spanish. Either the writers are really ignorant or they just decided to drop that in favor of having those two make "intellectual conversation." It was really contrived.

It was the lowest, lowest, LOWEST point of the episode, for a moment I thought Fausto was being snarky, but aside from his lousy performance, it was clear he was speaking seriously.

TheMovieDude wrote:
I liked the fall out with Ruiz' infidelity. Thankfully they dealt with it quickly and it seemed to take a bit of a toll on him, which made his character more interesting. I also applaud the show for not going for the obvious.

I like that it seems like there's no excuses for what he did, he's just a dog and wants to get laid every once in a while, it seems like he's irresponsible in that sense, and that there's nothing else to it in regards to justifications or rationalizations, that's something I like.

On the other hand though, it's lazy, it seems like an obvious thing to put into a character considering, specially considering his incredibly convenient vasectomy which only "hurts" when he isn't having sex. Really writers of The Bridge ? Really ?

TheMovieDude wrote:
I liked how Sony and Ruiz are getting closer together.

Let's be honest here, the interesting part is, what do we think of Marco's son getting close to Sonya ?

TheMovieDude wrote:
But the show does have quite a few cracks to fix to come closer to its potential.

Personally, it has dissapointed more than I've wanted to, but I love many of it's ideas, and it deserves a chance, how many main characters from "Policía Estatal de Chihuahua" do you get these days ?

None, to me, that merits my time to be spent watching one season at least.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:01 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I'm just going off from what Marco said about everybody in Juárez knowing her.

And my issue with Sonya is not so much her condition, but again, it's quite a stretch that she's allowed to have that kind of job despite it and we aren't shown why she'd be holding that position regardless. A show can help that kind of suspension of disbelief if we are shown that their talent compensates for their conditions or flaws, just think of House and how he was an asshole, but he was the best asshole at his job.

So far, I haven't sensed Marco's son really getting that close to Sonya. If anything, they still seem pretty distant.

And again, I also applaud the show for being a sensitive, if not exactly accurate, portrayal of life on the border. But I think it can do even better because all of the material and ideas are there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:58 pm 

TheMovieDude wrote:

If the show was as good as Breaking Bad, I would excuse this as a simple mincing of words.

But since these are the people who think the most fucking clever thing is to name a character "Fausto" because he's making a dangerous offer to another character, then no, I'll take it as another fuck up.

TheMovieDude wrote:
So far, I haven't sensed Marco's son really getting that close to Sonya. If anything, they still seem pretty distant.

:shock:

"Why are you staring at me ?"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:00 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

feliciano182 wrote:
If the show was as good as Breaking Bad

Speaking of which, why aren't we talking about it right now?!?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:15 pm 

t3cii wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
If the show was as good as Breaking Bad

Speaking of which, why aren't we talking about it right now?!?

We.........are :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:06 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

feliciano182 wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:

If the show was as good as Breaking Bad, I would excuse this as a simple mincing of words.

But since these are the people who think the most fucking clever thing is to name a character "Fausto" because he's making a dangerous offer to another character, then no, I'll take it as another fuck up.

TheMovieDude wrote:

:shock:

"Why are you staring at me ?"

I still don't see the big deal there. Despite her awkwardness and all, Sonya is hot. I think it'd be expected for a teen like Marco's son to stare at her and Sonya, being who she is, to be bothered by it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:09 pm 

TheMovieDude wrote:
I still don't see the big deal there. Despite her awkwardness and all, Sonya is hot. I think it'd be expected for a teen like Marco's son to stare at her and Sonya, being who she is, to be bothered by it.

That weird "Oscar Morality" resurfaces :lol:

I'm not sayin Gus is a freak or anything, it's that the show's writers are trying to have something happen between those two, and I don't believe Marco will be happy at the prospect of his son bedding not only an older woman, but also his partner.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:45 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

The last episode was...okay. Some interesting moments overall, like the ending, the death of the girl, Marco turning out to have a deeper relationship with the cartel guy, the ATF investigation. But it also had some weak spots. The opening suggested that the cartel has been using the tunnel for a while now, I can buy that Annabeth Gish would not know about this, but I don't buy that she wouldn't be the least suspicious when a bunch of narcos would park their truck right outside her house and carry bodies through it. I think it would have been more realistic to have the narcos come back from Mexico in the tunnel without a body, so the episode would open with the narcos meeting at the table before impaling the guy.

Also, it's getting my attention how visually dull the show is. The Pilot was so well shot and atmospheric (thanks to Gerardo Naranjo's direction) and now, it's like they are not even trying. The directing just feels way too standard. I know TV is not exactly the place to be stylish but the directing just feels bad, it fails to enhance what we are seeing in any way.

Overall, not bad. Enough questions left unanswered for me to keep watching but I'm not beyond thrilled about it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:34 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I kind of feel the same way, and there has yet to be a truly great episode, an episode where I can't wait to see the next one. Consider that by episode 4 of the first season of Lost, we got Walkabout. That to me is the standard of judging a TV show, if they can pull off an episode of that quality that early on. So far, the show hasn't. The killer also continues to be too vaguely defined, and there are too many moving parts. I'll still watch, mostly because there's very little to watch this summer.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:14 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I think the problem is that the writers are really committed to the mystery of it and probably have a solution to it, but their focus is more on that than anything else, and it really weakens it. The human element is kind of lost. A lot of shows or even procedurals allow you to see the effects of a murder on their loved ones, so you can give a shit about them. But in this show, so far, if that seems like it's going to happen, they take it away.

I forgot to write that I also found Frye quitting his drinnking and drug use to be VERY abrupt and it literally came out of nowhere.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:21 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I also forgot the texting scene. It seemed out of place on this show. Like, the show regularly shows closeups of text messages, seeing them float in mid air was like watching a different show.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:14 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

The latest episode was good, very good, in fact. It was very cohesive as a whole, while also advancing the plot plenty of steps forward. It also seems like both the cast and the writers have a better grasp on their characters, and we got to see a little bit of why Sonya would be there in the first place. I also appreciated it's kinkiness and absurdity that matches the kind of stuff I've seen or heard living here in the border. Given that we are halfway through and a certain plot has been resolved, I really do wonder where it's going to take us next.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:15 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I thought it was a pretty good episode, although I'm suspicious of that guy actually being The Beast. I also feel like we're spending too much time with a bunch of secondary characters. If it were up to me, I'd cut out...

Turban Lady
Lyle Lovett
The reporters
Weird Silence of the Lambs guy
Annabeth Gish and that guy from Cougar Town

I know that's half of the cast, but I don't care about any of these characters.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:26 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

t3cii wrote:
I thought it was a pretty good episode, although I'm suspicious of that guy actually being The Beast. I also feel like we're spending too much time with a bunch of secondary characters. If it were up to me, I'd cut out...

Turban Lady
Lyle Lovett
The reporters
Weird Silence of the Lambs guy
Annabeth Gish and that guy from Cougar Town

I know that's half of the cast, but I don't care about any of these characters.

I agre. Again, they are still representative of the biggest problem with the show in that they are trying to keep them shrouded in mistery but while they can do that, they don't have them do anything actually interested or make an effort to truly make us care. Annabeth Gish is hot and all, but do we really need to see her have sex in almost every scene she's in?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:10 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

TheMovieDude wrote:
Annabeth Gish is hot and all, but do we really need to see her have sex in almost every scene she's in?

Considering she does so little in this series, I'd say yes, yes we do.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:49 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Okay, this show keeps getting better and better. Yeah, aside from the consistently dull Charlotte subplot, this episode was engaging from beginning to end. Very nice twists, from what I know, the show is taking quite a few from the swedish/danish original, though. The performances were top notch and it all seems to be coming together rather nicely. And again, the portrayal of society on the border probably hasn't been this sensitive or accurate anywhere else in film or TV. Also, Feli, looks like you were right about Gus. I don't know why I got into denial about that. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:16 pm 

TheMovieDude wrote:
aside from the consistently dull Charlotte subplot

I thought the payoff at the end was really really good, now shit is going to get crazy !

TheMovieDude wrote:
Also, Feli, looks like you were right about Gus. I don't know why I got into denial about that. :lol:

Best part about that was Sonya being such a goddamn tease when she said goodbye :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:05 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I missed the first five or ten minutes of the episode, but I'll be honest, I thought this was just an okay episode. The reveal of The Beast was just so...meh. And, again, I really can not give a shit about most of these other characters. So much in fact, that when I read reviews of these episodes, half of the time I don't know who most of these character's are, because I can't be bothered to remember their names. It's a mostly well cast show, and I think that's what is saving it from being completely mediocre, but this show just hasn't grabbed me in any real way. The Beast plot, for example, just doesn't seem that thrilling or intense given the genre. That Marco's wife is dating The Beast is something that is supposed to be this huge, shocking moment, but to me, I just thought "Oh, he's the Beast. Okay." And I'm not sure that's the kind of reaction you want when watching a show like this. I just feel like we barely know who this guy is, and because the show has managed to make it seem like everyone is a potential suspect, it feels anticlimactic. Actually, maybe not even that, I mean, I'd have to muster some more enthusiasm for the show to worry about it being anticlimactic.

Of the new shows I've started watching, I'd place this well below The Americans, and a little above Under The Dome (which I continue watching, despite how atrocious it is).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next