WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: The Bridge
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:37 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

TheMovieDude wrote:
Breaking Bad spent all my available tears this week, for better or worse, as this episode of The Bridge was harrowing. It was a surprising, sad, suspenseful, effective episode that would be a perfect season finale if it wasn't for whatever the show has up its sleeve for the next two episodes.

Marco limping away into the light was among my favorite scenes.

I guess what remains now is the rise of Charlotte White, speaking of her, the guy she's fucking......wait, what's his name ?

*Goes to IMDB*

Ray ! That sure was a confusing scene to me, who killed those guys ? Why did he go there to dump the body ? What was the original plan ?

TheMovieDude wrote:
It wasn't perfect, though. I think the directing of this show tends to be a bit of a letdown and robs scenes of their potential power.

I hated how it fell right into the "I AM NOT LIKE YOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU !" cliché, Marco should've shot Frye in desperation, it was the only logical thing anyone would've done had their son been at the risk of dying, Frye didn't even have to be lethally shot for crying out loud.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:55 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

feliciano182 wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:
Breaking Bad spent all my available tears this week, for better or worse, as this episode of The Bridge was harrowing. It was a surprising, sad, suspenseful, effective episode that would be a perfect season finale if it wasn't for whatever the show has up its sleeve for the next two episodes.

Marco limping away into the light was among my favorite scenes.

I guess what remains now is the rise of Charlotte White, speaking of her, the guy she's fucking......wait, what's his name ?

*Goes to IMDB*

Ray ! That sure was a confusing scene to me, who killed those guys ? Why did he go there to dump the body ? What was the original plan ?

TheMovieDude wrote:
It wasn't perfect, though. I think the directing of this show tends to be a bit of a letdown and robs scenes of their potential power.

I hated how it fell right into the "I AM NOT LIKE YOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU !" cliché, Marco should've shot Frye in desperation, it was the only logical thing anyone would've done had their son been at the risk of dying, Frye didn't even have to be lethally shot for crying out loud.

For me, it was implied those guys probably killed themselves over Poker or that the hitman who was hanging around and almost shot Ray probably killed them as well. Over what? Who knows, but following Truth in Television, it was probably over some BS given how random and volatile cartel criminals can be. I think it was the best place to dump the body or maybe he intended to leave it in Mexico. I can't figure out his reasoning for not wanting to dump it with the Queenpin and her lackey, I guess he thought that finding those three bodies in the same place would lead anyone to find them to be extra-suspicious of them.

I liked how things resolved themselves, it really was a big jump on Sonya and Marco's relationship, especially with the conversation they had after. Sure, Marco wanted to save his son but he was with a guy who was not only insane but who hadn't shown himself to be a man of his word and it speaks a lot for Marco that he's not willing to shoot people point blank, no matter what, especially someone who he saw as innocent.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:59 pm 

TheMovieDude wrote:
it really was a big jump on Sonya and Marco's relationship, especially with the conversation they had after.

Jump where ? Into the abyss :lol: ?

I disliked that scene, it seemed as if Marco was uncomfortable because his appendix had been removed, rather than being miserable and in complete utter grief for the brutal murder of his only son.

TheMovieDude wrote:
Sure, Marco wanted to save his son but he was with a guy who was not only insane but who hadn't shown himself to be a man of his word and it speaks a lot for Marco that he's not willing to shoot people point blank, no matter what, especially someone who he saw as innocent.

A good way to look at it, still though, was "I'm not like you !" really necessary ? Sometimes I wonder if writers are aware of the kind of clichéd, tacky bullshit they put in sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:37 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

So the latest episode was a bit on the dull side. It was very refreshing to get rid with (most of) the Tate storyline and see the characters deal with different situations. The focus on the building relationship between Sonya and Marco was one of the highlights. The stuff with Linder and Eva would be a typical and cliché Juárez storyline, but with an interesting character at the center like Linder and with Sonya and Marco trying to crack the case, I think that it could be a compelling story. But I'm also hoping that the show goes more in-depth into other problems that happen here on the border, because there's a lot of potential to it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:05 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

They made a mistake in ending the Tate case as soon as they did. This felt like an early episode, not the episode before the finale. I think I might be done with the show at the end of this season. It's not quite Low Winter Sun mediocre, but it's still not gripping enough where I care about what happens next.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:07 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I gotta say, I don't want this to turn into "Bordertown: The Series." The Female Homicides in Juárez are a big deal, although they've been overshadowed by the crime wave we/'ve had for the past 5 years. But the thing is, this show has already explored that this season and we got an idea in pretty dramatic terms about what it's like to deal with that situation from different angles. It didn't go in-depth but that is realistic because after so many years, no one has any clear answer of the how and why of all this. That's why I say this is probably the most sensitive and truthful portrayal of this situation that I've seen, mostly because not only did it give social commentary, but it gave us a story and character we could get behind on, even when it screwed up really badly.

Instead, there are so many topics they could explore. I don't necessarily want it to turn into a procedural, but they could definitely deal with different kinds of cases and people while also developing the characters. Watching the characters deal with this kind of situation has been the strongest part of the show for me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:57 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I've been watching the swedish/danish version and I have to say that they are about equal in terms of quality, but I have to give the edge to the american version.

The swedish/danish version has the upperhand in that it has better momentum, you can see better how the storylines get to a point of collision and although Sonya's (Called Saga in the original) character has Asperger's, at least the original version makes it clearer why would she have that kind of job. We get to see their strengths as detectives in their original counterparts.

The character of Daniel Frye in the original also makes more sense. They're almost exactly the same, but in the original, he does become a celebrity of sorts and we get to see the interaction he has with the rest of the paper he works for, while the american version almost makes it seem like him and Adriana are the only ones that work for El Paso Times.

That said, my main problem with the original is that the setting seems almost irrelevant. Sure, the series does show the differences between the two countries, but other than that, the contrast does not feel as strong as the US and Mexico one. Not to mention that the killer's motives are the same.

I also found the original version to be better made but it also makes some downright baffling choices like jump-cuts or oddly edited music.

By the way, t3cii, seems like Canada has already done its own version of The Bridge:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0479647/?ref_=rvi_tt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:13 pm 

TheMovieDude wrote:
By the way, t3cii, seems like Canada has already done its own version of The Bridge:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0479647/?ref_=rvi_tt

Killing managers of hockey ? What the fuck :lol: ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:06 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I knew of its existence, but never saw it. It's a movie, anyway, and a comedy, so not quite on par with The Bridge. ;)

How did you come across it?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:28 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

t3cii wrote:
I knew of its existence, but never saw it. It's a movie, anyway, and a comedy, so not quite on par with The Bridge. ;)

How did you come across it?

Someone or an imdb board for The Bridge or Broen or something mentioned it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:36 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

The season finale was good. Damn good. Now that it has completely disconnected from the original series, it's free to do on its own whatever it wants and the energy we got in this episode was completely different from the one on the last, it was exactly what I hoped the show would become once it was done with the whole The Beast plot.

Before watching this episode, I was in school and some classmates are working on a project about the art that portrays the Dead Women of Juárez, and as part of their research they got access to some hearing recordings and they interviewed one of the women who's involved in an organization that oversees that reforms are done to the law so these crimes are better solved. It was very harrowing to hear these women speak about the kind of injustice that has been ongoing on all levels in my city for a very long time, and the sort of brutality that these criminals have brought upon women (and men too) and the neglect that the authorities have towards the case.

This episode was dead-on accurate to the kinds of struggles that these women have to do in order to find justice and the sort of response they find from all levels of society.

For me, the most powerful scene in the episode was watching Adriana's mom waiting for her other daughter to get off the Rutas, only to find out that she's not coming home at all. And here is where I hope the series doesn't exactly go and this is what I meant when I said I don't want it to be Bordertown: The Series. As I've mentioned, the murders of women in Juárez have been a big deal for decades. But they are not the only crime that's been happening here and there are actually other cities and states with higher female homicide statistics in the rest of Mexico. But that scene with Adriana's mom is something that not only the mothers or even husbands of women who work in maquilas may experience, it's something you'd see anyone in the street experiencing. There is always that fear and it's become especially present in the (receding, I guess?) crime wave of the last 5 years that any of your loved ones may not come home because they could have been killed or kidnapped, for any reason that criminals give themselves the right to take a life away.

The series has left a few unanswered questions that will make for nice material in the next season: What's the deal with the dead lady? Who is that guy that seems to be more than well aware about Charlotte's operations? And will Marco kill Tate? When it comes to that last question, I don't think he will. I don't think he's got it in him. And I don't know why he's involving Fausto in it. Here's hoping that the writers have a nice surprise for everyone involved.

So yeah, show, I'm glad you have a second season. Now I hope you've learned from your mistakes because you've got a lot of material to work with and my hopes are that you really do for the border what The Wire did for Baltimore, especially now that you're freed from all that Swedish/Danish bullshit. It is a VERY tall order, but hey, it sure is nice to see the writers try as they promised.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:39 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I thought the finale was alright, although it didn't really feel like a finale. The last scene of Marco would have carried more weight had we not already seen him try to kill Tate on the bridge.

If we never see Linder again, I really wouldn't mind. He's just too strange a character for what it seems this show is trying to be. No, it will never be as good as The Wire, simply because it is playing everything a bit too broad. I can believe that characters like Marco, or Fausto could exist, but Linder, and Charlotte and Lyle Lovett are too distracting because they don't feel authentic. Conversely, lesbian reporter feels a bit too bland to be interesting, especially when in comparison to Frye. Speaking of, I was surprised we didn't get a scene of them contemplating taking some of the old woman's money. I mean, she's dead. No one saw them go into the house. The thought of getting a garbage bag from the kitchen and scooping up some of this money didn't occur to them at all? Not even to Frye? On Breaking Bad, even though Kuby and Huell knew how bad Walt was, it was still suggested that they may have helped themselves to a small portion of his money. All's I'm sayin'.

Anyways, going back to lesbian reported (I'm sorry, I have forgotten most of these characters names), I think the show suffers the same problem The Walkind Dead suffers from in that some of its characters are characters, while others are so down to earth it seems like they could be from another show. The Wire had plenty of larger than life characters on its show, but everyone sounded like they belonged to the same universe. And the things they were dealing with were pretty grounded. I think The Bridge would have been more successful if they just used the basic premise, that of an El Paso cop working with a Juarez cop and ditched the serial killer angle altogether.

This show isn't for me, I think. It's interesting in that I still tune in, but it has yet to be the show where I'm dying to see the next episode.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:52 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I've read comments from people saying that Elwood and Stiehm took the premise of the swedish/danish show as a way of getting the show in the air and then use it to broaden it to other issues. It does show that they were either struggling to make it fit with what they want to do, but I think they probably didn't need to take that long. After watching the first season of the swedish/danish show, it just doesn't translate all that well to the border. They sure tried, but it doesn't work because the circumstances of crossing back and forth are very different from those in Europe.

Also, I could see Frye taking some of the money but Adriana would probably make him give it back, but he would probably take it anyway. That would have been a fun angle to approach to this situation, it's not like they'd notice.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:28 pm 

The vigil was surely a sad scene, it made me ponder for a while..............

........up until I saw Linder holding Eva's picture as well, couldn't help smiling.

And then came "It's Daniela, she never got off the bus", and depression once again hit me.

I'm more on Oscar's side on this episode, I thought it was among the best, certainly nothing earth-shattering, but very very promising.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:57 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

The cover of "Living on a Prayer" was unintentionally funny.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:18 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

t3cii wrote:
The cover of "Living on a Prayer" was unintentionally funny.

I also agree that it was funny, but the intention of that is questionable to me as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:31 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

The show is back and better than ever. I'm probably being hyperbolic, so no, this wasn't a masterpiece but a marked improvement over almost any episode of the first season. As most season premieres do, it set up mostly everything for this season but unlike many season premieres, it didn't meander or slow down. Each scene felt like it was bringing something new and interesting. The tone of the show, the camerawork, the atmosphere, the music, everything is mostly improved from the first season.

This episode had sort of an odd Tarantino feel to it, sort of like a lot of scenes in Kill Bill Vol. 2; the build-up to the violence, the discussions about cars and Rush, they felt very Tarantino-esque. For better or worse, it seems like both the characters and the actors have a lot more room to breathe and be themselves. Franka Potente was scary and cool as a villain. And I liked how it deals with issues that we face here on the border, it's not unheard of cops like Marco being under the threat of other cops or having people with legit businesses involved with drug cartels.

Overall, this was a very promising start.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:16 pm 

TheMovieDude wrote:

And now with this second episode we got Marco VS Sonya :D !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:09 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

feliciano182 wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:

Seems to me like this season will be the "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" of serial killer plots.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:16 pm 

TheMovieDude wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:

Seems to me like this season will be the "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" of serial killer plots.

It's a good thing there's a shake-up this time with the plot and it's not really another whodunit, I was afraid of that being the case for this season. We know Franka Potente is a evil bitch, we know she has to be stopped, wether Marco or Sonya will be the victor is up for grabs at this point.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5