WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 447 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Batman/Superman Movie
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:25 pm 
Drinking a toast to absent friends.

http://batman-news.com/2013/07/20/warne ... -for-2015/

Get hyped.

Edit:

Logo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:03 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

There's a thread for it on the WCM Private facebook group. When I saw it, I started to go into convulsions of excitement.

I've been wanting this far and away more than a Justice League movie.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:30 pm 

I think this is DC testing the waters for the Justice League movie and it's a genius move. Team up before the team up.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:44 pm 
Tired of Earth.

madvillain wrote:
I think this is DC testing the waters for the Justice League movie and it's a genius move. Team up before the team up.

this would certainly make sense

have a post-credits scene giving the idea that it's not just the two of them and then bam, justice league 2017

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:09 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

One one hand I'm happy that they are not rushing JL and the world's finest is a nice move, but I still feel that Superman needs another movie alone before joining Batman or another superhero...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:09 pm 
Tired of Earth.

I've long agreed that making World's Finest before moving on to JL was the way to go. But making it before a new stand-alone for Batman? That's a bold move.

I only wish that Batman had already been secretly cast, and that it was the new Bruce Wayne to read that quotation. Would've been hard to do that secretly, though. Maybe if Snyder had gone to his buddy Patrick Wilson and offered him the gig in person.

Which brings us to the next question: Who should play the new Batman?

ETA: Thinking about it more, this pretty much guarantees that Kryptonite will play a part in the next movie. After all, there's no other way that Batman could possibly beat Superman, and Snyder made it damned clear that's what's going to happen.

Still, Batman can't be the villain of the piece. We need a reason for these two heroes to attack each other, and we need a reason for them to stand beside each other at the end. Luthor is the obvious guess, but I'll be interested to hear if anyone else has any other ideas.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:08 pm 

It's not a Batman vs. Superman movie. Snyder said before the quote was read that they aren't adapting TDKR, it's just a hint that there will be a conflict between them. Lex Luthor will still probably be the villain, but this also opens up more villain possibilities with Lex teaming up with someone from Batman's rogues gallery rather than just Superman's.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:29 pm 
Tired of Earth.

madvillain wrote:
It's not a Batman vs. Superman movie. Snyder said before the quote was read that they aren't adapting TDKR, it's just a hint that there will be a conflict between them. Lex Luthor will still probably be the villain, but this also opens up more villain possibilities with Lex teaming up with someone from Batman's rogues gallery rather than just Superman's.

The quote they read specifically hinted that Batman will not only fight Superman, but win (or at least come perilously close to winning). This seems like a natural extension of MOS, which was explicitly designed to put Superman in a no-win scenario.

You're absolutely right that this does open the door for a Batman villain to enter the mix. Of course, that just leaves the question of who.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:33 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

it depends on what direction do they go with a man in henry's age which is 30 or go older

i would love for an older bruce and my top pick would be

Josh Brolin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:29 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

I feel like Project is probably right about how they'll deal with Batman,
If you watch this video of Jeremy Jahn's reaction to the announcement
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrg5w6f-JEg
he comes up with an idea that is pretty much what I expect. Wayne and Luthor, and maybe some other billionaires (Roman Sionis for example? Oliver Queen?), band together to rebuild metropolis, so Wayne is ostentatiously in Metropolis for that reason, but Batman is there to investigate Superman, who he is, what kind of threat he poses etc. at some point both Supes and Bats see each other as the villain, but after one fight they realise they are both the good guys and turn their attention to Luthor who has been secretly collecting up Kryptonian tech to defeat superman, who he has been running a slander campaign against from the start.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:50 am 

You know, as far as appearance goes for a new Batman, this Anson Mount fellow has got it going on.

http://www.goldderby.com/candidates/anson-mount.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:36 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

he comes up with an idea that is pretty much what I expect. Wayne and Luthor, and maybe some other billionaires (Roman Sionis for example? Oliver Queen?), band together to rebuild metropolis, so Wayne is ostentatiously in Metropolis for that reason, but Batman is there to investigate Superman, who he is, what kind of threat he poses etc. at some point both Supes and Bats see each other as the villain, but after one fight they realise they are both the good guys and turn their attention to Luthor who has been secretly collecting up Kryptonian tech to defeat superman, who he has been running a slander campaign against from the start.

that actually brilliant idea for bruce's intro to metropolis :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:16 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

So what do people think this movie should be called

I was up for Man of Tomorrow until the Batman announcement, I think now it should be called Public Enemies, which could tie in with Luthor making Superman a public enemy, and MoS 3 should be Man of Tomorrow, I'm not sure if "World's Finest" would fit with where the characters are at this point, World's Finest would be great for a second Superman/Batman movie though. What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:47 am 

So what do people think this movie should be called

I was up for Man of Tomorrow until the Batman announcement, I think now it should be called Public Enemies, which could tie in with Luthor making Superman a public enemy, and MoS 3 should be Man of Tomorrow, I'm not sure if "World's Finest" would fit with where the characters are at this point, World's Finest would be great for a second Superman/Batman movie though. What do you guys think?

Public Enemies sounds a bit too generic, I think.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:19 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Curiosity Inc. wrote:

Which brings us to the next question: Who should play the new Batman?

I asked this on facebook and AYB suggested getting a new up and comer. I think that might be the best way to go. Find someone with some movie or television experience, someone who is maybe a bit known, but by no means a household name.

Project862006 wrote:
it depends on what direction do they go with a man in henry's age which is 30 or go older

And which would be preferable? Do we want a seasoned Batman, or one who is just starting out like Clark? When talking about a JLA movie, I was of the opinion that they shouldn't try to create another origin story for Batman, that we should already see him be this successful and human crime fighter, one whose exploits are already becoming known. In a way, it would be almost like the Joker reveal at the start of TDK. You got these characters speculating as to who the Joker was, what was he about, etc. I think it might be cool if they did that with Batman. Have all of this speculation about him, and then we meet him, and find out who he really is from the man himself.

Project862006 wrote:
i would love for an older bruce and my top pick would beJosh Brolin

Godziller66 wrote:
You know, as far as appearance goes for a new Batman, this Anson Mount fellow has got it going on.

Well, both definitely would fall into the older actor camp, with both being in their forties. Now can either do stunt work/fight scenes? I guess they'd use a stunt double in most scenes, but I'd like to at least see these guys try to do some of their own fight scenes.

If we're going for an older actor for Batman, one actor who falls in between both of those actors on the age scale would be Jon Hamm. Now I know Hamm is sort of the actor we jokingly (or not) go to when coming up with these casting ideas, but there is a reason for that. Jon Hamm sort of exudes that super hero mystique. He can be intense, he can be intimidating, he has the square jawline, the piercing eyes. He has a presence. He's also a very good actor, and it's really his acting ability that is what makes me think he'd be kind of awesome as Batman. I know casting him would pretty much do the opposite of what I was previously suggesting they should do, but if this were a more seasoned Batman, one more well known to the public, maybe casting a bigger name like Hamm would work to the movie's benefit?

Another actor who I feel would have made a great Batman (or at least, a great Bruce Wayne), is Brandon Routh, but that is not gonna happen. Which is a shame since physically he reminds me of the Batman from the Animated series. And his looks are a bit darker, swarthier than Cavil's, and since they're both white, and have dark hair, maybe they shouldn't have the exact same features? Anyways, it will never happen, but how ballsy would it be to have the actor who once played Superman (and who was essentially passed over from doing another Superman) play Batman?

If we go the up and comer route, how about Ethan Peck? A good while back I posted a poster someone made of Gregory Peck as Batman. Alex Ross actually modeled Bruce Wayne on Peck in Kingdom Come, and so I was trying to think of an actor who looked like him, had some of his qualities. I couldn't find one, but it turned out Peck has a grandson who is an actor named Ethan. Looking the guy up, I saw he shared some physical similarities with his grandfather.

He also seems to be able to bulk himself up:

And, like his grandfather, he has that deep voice. I haven't be able to find any real good clips of his acting ability, but in interviews he has a presence to him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIPrs-XGGxs

I think he's done mostly television. He's also over six feet tall, and is the same age as Armie Hammer, whose name pops up a lot when people try to fan cast Batman. Now, I think he could use some more roles under his belt, or at least one fairly substantial television role to show he could actually hold his own acting opposite Cavill. And there's also the fact that he's quite a bit younger than Cavill. But just an idea.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:18 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Personally, I'd like to see a return to the "Michael Keaton" way of casting. We need someone completely unexpected who doesn't look remotely qualified to be Batman at first blush.

Ethan Peck, for example, looks like sort of a geeky and awkward fellow. Tell me that the guy was a social recluse who happened to be a technological genius and I'd buy it. But digging a bit deeper, I could easily see him holding his own in a fight scene and looking damn good in the cowl. I think he'd be a great choice.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:47 pm 

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Cameos from people like Sionis, Thomas Elliot etc. as well as Bruce working with Luthor to rebuild Metropolis. Having Luthor manipulate Bruce into thinking that Superman is a threat, which is why they have a scuffle. I think a lot of people are freaking out because they wanted another solo Superman movie before this, but I think this is a perfect next step after the events of Man of Steel. We've already seen huge action sequences between Kryptonians, let's get to know Superman(and Batman) and the world he/they protect.

Also for who should play Batman, I think Karl Urban could do a great job.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:14 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Ethan Peck, for example, looks like sort of a geeky and awkward fellow. Tell me that the guy was a social recluse who happened to be a technological genius and I'd buy it.

It's funny you should say that, because I was kind of thinking he looked a bit boyish in the video, despite the fact he has such a deep voice. Maybe it's the floppy hair. But I do think he could convincingly look heroic, or at least mysterious. And there's the fact that Bruce tries to play up the persona of a billionaire playboy. I think Peck is handsome enough where I could buy that he's this playboy who dates models and throws parties, even if he really isn't that kind of guy deep down.

The first photo didn't seem to post, but here are more:

As a funny coincidence, his biggest role seems to be playing a character first played by Heath Ledger in 10 Things I hate About You.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:52 pm 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

I´m with madvillain on this one. Urban for Batman.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:11 pm 
Tired of Earth.

in other news, apparently the title is going to be "batman vs superman" or "superman vs batman"

http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/07/22/ba ... -superman/
http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a ... goyer.html

that sounds pretty lame

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 447 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next