WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:01 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

One of the things that struck me about Brooklyn Nine Nine is how effortless it seemed. The perfect combination of writing, directing and acting, which I know is not easy at all. Especially with comedy, it's very easy to fumble in one of those things and the show is just very well executed. I really should watch it more.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:33 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I just finished the 1st season of Steven Universe and I really liked it. Something about it makes it less easy to go down than say, Adventure Time or Gravity Falls. In a way, I felt it was always trying to find its legs and maybe it's too limited by the 10 minute running time of each episode. Really charming, funny, poignant and imaginative, though.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:51 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I started watching Arrow from the beginning; it's not a bad show, it's entertaining and the action is especially great, but the characters and the drama doesn't quite catch me yet.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:11 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

The season finale of Person of Interest was great. Specially with Pink Floyd at the end.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 3:34 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I really should continue watching that.

Also, I think the latest episode of Louie really influenced my dreams. No nightmares, just a weird anthology of stuff. Keep in mind I watched it after I went through some pretty crazy things, that included me eating too many potato chips and chocolate.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:42 pm 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

TheMovieDude wrote:
One of the things that struck me about Brooklyn Nine Nine is how effortless it seemed. The perfect combination of writing, directing and acting, which I know is not easy at all. Especially with comedy, it's very easy to fumble in one of those things and the show is just very well executed. I really should watch it more.

I've been catching up, and dare I say the show is even a bit heartfelt.
Unlike so many comedies that derive their humor from awkwardness and have a mean-spirited sarcastic tone, B99 is so unlike that.
The characters care about each other, they seem to learn a lesson and grow each episode.
They can all be idiots, but they feel like a family. I dig that. Also, I've noticed a trend in comedies and comedy shows where they set up a character in a position where he could seriously fail, and invariably he does, and that's where they put the jokes. But B99 does the opposite, the characters succeed, and the set ups pay off. It's feel-good comedy.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:20 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Oh yeah, I agree. Again, I'm not really caught up on the show but I liked that it wasn't malicious. I didn't feel like the show was out to humiliate their characters, but instead, they were endearing. Nothing wrong with dark comedy, but there's a lot of care and love between the characters, and I can feel it from the writers as well and I think that's kind of rare.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 10:36 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

NiteOwl wrote:
They can all be idiots, but they feel like a family. I dig that

Absolutely. There is a definite feeling of family with this show. I think this was most true in the beach house episode. The entire unit goes (even Hitchock and Scully), but after Holt confesses he missed the camaraderie of being a cop when he was young, Peralta decides to invite him along. I think it was a smart move to evolve Peralta as a character. I think some people initially thought he was an idiot, but a more apt description (I forget where I read this) would be that he just likes trolling people. They've evolved him into a cop with daddy issues who throws himself into his job. They've also created better interactions with Gina and the rest of the cast.

TheMovieDude wrote:
Oh yeah, I agree. Again, I'm not really caught up on the show but I liked that it wasn't malicious. I didn't feel like the show was out to humiliate their characters, but instead, they were endearing. Nothing wrong with dark comedy, but there's a lot of care and love between the characters, and I can feel it from the writers as well and I think that's kind of rare.

This is why I can't quite get the love for The Big Bang Theory. Do these characters even like each other? Why is there so much open animosity between these characters? Some people have accused Seinfeld of doing this, but I feel like the characters on Seinfeld are a team, it's them against the rest of the world, so it works. Two Broke Girls is another comedy that is usually racist, homophobic, and just mean spirited. I saw a scene where a group of women who were Sherlock Holmes fans were excitedly talking about Benedict Cumberbatch, and one of the waitresses quickly ran over to get the other one to join in laughing at them, while eventually joking about their lack of sexual experience. And I just thought, "fuck this show". I'm not a Sherlock Holmes fan, I've never seen the show, but I'm willing to bet its fans are smarter than the ones who tune into Two Broke Girls, and don't really deserved to be shit on. And am I supposed to be rooting for these characters? I don't always have to like characters to watch a show, but I do have to relate to them in some way.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 2:35 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

t3cii wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
They can all be idiots, but they feel like a family. I dig that

Absolutely. There is a definite feeling of family with this show. I think this was most true in the beach house episode. The entire unit goes (even Hitchock and Scully), but after Holt confesses he missed the camaraderie of being a cop when he was young, Peralta decides to invite him along. I think it was a smart move to evolve Peralta as a character. I think some people initially thought he was an idiot, but a more apt description (I forget where I read this) would be that he just likes trolling people. They've evolved him into a cop with daddy issues who throws himself into his job. They've also created better interactions with Gina and the rest of the cast.

TheMovieDude wrote:

This is why I can't quite get the love for The Big Bang Theory. Do these characters even like each other? Why is there so much open animosity between these characters? Some people have accused Seinfeld of doing this, but I feel like the characters on Seinfeld are a team, it's them against the rest of the world, so it works. Two Broke Girls is another comedy that is usually racist, homophobic, and just mean spirited. I saw a scene where a group of women who were Sherlock Holmes fans were excitedly talking about Benedict Cumberbatch, and one of the waitresses quickly ran over to get the other one to join in laughing at them, while eventually joking about their lack of sexual experience. And I just thought, "fuck this show". I'm not a Sherlock Holmes fan, I've never seen the show, but I'm willing to bet its fans are smarter than the ones who tune into Two Broke Girls, and don't really deserved to be shit on. And am I supposed to be rooting for these characters? I don't always have to like characters to watch a show, but I do have to relate to them in some way.

I don't like TBBT much, but it's something to have on in the background from time to time, and I agree, the inexplicable contempt between the characters baffles me. I think that it comes from the influence of Seinfeld and that people don't really get why that show worked as you say. The utter ugliness of Two Broke Girls is really weird to me. I'm surprised no one within the show has said "Fuck this", especially after what just happened with the Adam Sandler movie. Also, not that sexual experience should be a determinant of value in a person (Another reason to flip the finger at Two Broke Girls), butit's funny, most of the Sherlock fans I know are the complete opposite of sexually inexperienced. :P

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:31 am 

I'm 3/4ths of the way into the pilot for Mortal Kombat Conquest, just recently released in North America on DVD for the first time.
I'm having a blast with this show though. It's silly, and corny, and some of the acting is god awful- but...
it's also surprisingly atmospheric, and when done right, the fight choreography is better than even the movie.
The bloodless approach the movies took suits the TV show better. It's full of fighting, sorcery, and scantily clad women.
I even really like the guy who's playing Raiden. Chris Lambert had big shoes to fill, and this guy did it well. On the flip side, I've no fucking clue how they cast James Remar as Raiden for Annihilation.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:48 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I didn't see much of it, but I remember it being a fun show. I have some tapings of that show somewhere.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 3:19 pm 

TheMovieDude wrote:
I didn't see much of it, but I remember it being a fun show. I have some tapings of that show somewhere.

It's funny you mention that because when I was a kid, I had half an episode recorded on a tape alongside an episode of Beast Machines.
Then someone erased it all to record a christmas play I was in. But they left the lens cap on, so all that we actually saw was when all the kids walked off the stage at the end.
I was so angry.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:00 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

What role did you play? And I remember I recorded it along with some other cartoons and shows.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:40 pm 

TheMovieDude wrote:
What role did you play? And I remember I recorded it along with some other cartoons and shows.

I was in the choir actually. So we had the super (not) fun role of standing behind all the actors and just singing.
Which I also didn't like. I wanted to be one of the three wise men.
But nah. Choir. Incidentally, I was so preoccupied at the end with finding my parents in the crowd, I didn't realize almost everyone else was already leaving the stage.
So theres a good ten-fifteen seconds of me looking like a spaced out idiot all alone on stage.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 7:44 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

NiteOwl wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:

I was in the choir actually. So we had the super (not) fun role of standing behind all the actors and just singing.
Which I also didn't like. I wanted to be one of the three wise men.
But nah. Choir. Incidentally, I was so preoccupied at the end with finding my parents in the crowd, I didn't realize almost everyone else was already leaving the stage.
So theres a good ten-fifteen seconds of me looking like a spaced out idiot all alone on stage.

Hahaha, it happens.
Anyway, caught up on Hannibal and it's just fantastic in every way. I think my favorite thing about it is that it even messes with your expectations if you've read the Harris books or watched the movies.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:40 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Hannibal actually films in Toronto. I'm curious if they managed to film in Paris for the new season.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:54 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

t3cii wrote:
Hannibal actually films in Toronto. I'm curious if they managed to film in Paris for the new season.

Have you ever seen them shoot? And I wouldn't be surprised if they just use Montreal for Paris : p

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:17 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Nope, never have. I think most shoots go under a different name. But I think they did film in France. Or, at least, were hoping to.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:11 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

t3cii wrote:
Nope, never have. I think most shoots go under a different name. But I think they did film in France. Or, at least, were hoping to.

It seems unlikely. They're very strict about giant gun laws over there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_Dc_NALVl4

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:12 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Godziller66 wrote:
t3cii wrote:

It seems unlikely. They're very strict about giant gun laws over there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_Dc_NALVl4

Oh yeah, I heard that in the aftermath of the Charlie Hebo incident they wouldn't be allowing any filming anymore. I don't know if just of action-type stuff or if in general.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next