WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 383 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:20 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

[NOTE: Thread split! --"Curiosity Inc."]

Supposedly Quentin Tarantino's next film is going to be a Spaghetti Western. Discuss.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

Last edited by t3cii on Mon May 09, 2011 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:36 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

t3cii wrote:
Supposedly Quentin Tarantino's next film is going to be a Spaghetti Western. Discuss.

Well, unless it has a majorly italian cast and crew it won't be a spaghetti western. People act like Spaghettu western is a genre, it's a very specific sub genre/slang term. I would love to see a QT western, because he would aknowledge all the good old ones, but it won't be a Spaghetti Western.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:21 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
t3cii wrote:

Well, unless it has a majorly italian cast and crew it won't be a spaghetti western. People act like Spaghettu western is a genre, it's a very specific sub genre/slang term. I would love to see a QT western, because he would aknowledge all the good old ones, but it won't be a Spaghetti Western.

Oh, I know where the term comes from. But I think in this case the term is being used to describe the tone Tarantino is aiming for. So I'd picture Leone inspired closeups and a Morricone, anachronistic soundtrack: http://www.badassdigest.com/2011/02/28/quentin-tarantinos-next-is-a-spaghetti-western

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:37 pm 

t3cii wrote:
Oh, I know where the term comes from. But I think in this case the term is being used to describe the tone Tarantino is aiming for. So I'd picture Leone inspired closeups and a Morricone, anachronistic soundtrack: http://www.badassdigest.com/2011/02/28/quentin-tarantinos-next-is-a-spaghetti-western

sorry if I came across as implying you didn't know, it's just a very misused term and it gets on my nerves when people misuse it. Mainly when I've seen people call Inglorious Basterds a Spaghetti Western... just because it has nods to a genre doesn;t make it part of that genre

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:10 pm 
Drinking a toast to absent friends.

I CAME BUCKETS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:53 pm 

I'm just wondering why the hell didn't Tarantino do something like this before ?!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:04 pm 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

He did produce that japanese one

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:12 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

feliciano182 wrote:
I'm just wondering why the hell didn't Tarantino do something like this before ?!

Well he seems to have used elements from westerns in a few of his movies, although it's not always obvious. I think Kill Bill Volume II was supposed to be just as influenced by Sergio Leone as it was martial arts movies. And as mentioned by Brooklyn, Inglourious Basterds owes a debt to the genre. Maybe he felt westerns were a hard sell?

Talking about the cast, the idea of Christoph Waltz doing a western is pretty intriguing. Would he be playing a German, or and American? Treat Williams is an interesting choice, simply because I'm only familiar with him as being a television actor. I'm also not too familiar with Caradine, just that he reminds me of Peter Fonda. Curious to see if any other Tarantino collaborators join the cast.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:15 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:

In the way that Peckinpah made Straw Dogs a Western despite it not being a western many of Tarantinos movies follow common western archetypes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:46 am 
Tired of Earth.

t3cii wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
t3cii wrote:

Actually, Morricone was going to do the soundtrack for IB, but due to scheduling conflicts, he just let Quentin use whatever songs he wanted.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:50 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Thought it was time to update this thread. So we have a name for the movie (Django Unchained) and a script seams to be circulating the internet. Early word is that it will be about a slave turned bounty hunter who is trying to save his slave wife from a slavedriver, and it will be a Leone styled western. Christoph Waltz is rumoured to have a part, and Will Smith's name has been throw into the casting circle:

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2011/05/09/will-smith-quentin-tarantino-django-unchained-casting-call/

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:06 pm 

t3cii wrote:
Will Smith's name has been throw into the casting circle:

Not exactly what I'd call good news, but who knows, with Tarantino's help it might turn out good.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:41 pm 
Drinking a toast to absent friends.

feliciano182 wrote:
t3cii wrote:

Not exactly what I'd call good news, but who knows, with Tarantino's help it might turn out good.

If there's any director I trust with casting it's Tarantino. If he's so desperate for Smith that he'll give Sony the worldwide distribution rights... then clearly Smith would be great in the role.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:49 pm 
Tired of Earth.

If QT writes the screenplay with them in mind, it usually works well somehow. That can be said for writing any screenplay with an actor/actress in mind in general. This is interesting, as I can't imagine Will Smith doing an R-rated picture (Bad Boys not counting, as I haven't seen them).

However, Django I have seen. It's also on netflix for those who haven't seen it.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:55 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

feliciano182 wrote:
t3cii wrote:

If you want good news, you might find this interesting, although since it's coming from Harry Knowles you might want to take it with a grain of salt. After reading the script, this is what he had to say on his twitter feed:

Quote:
DJANGO UNCHAINED is an operatic southern... this is my favorite QT script. & I've read them all. This I absolutely love at every level

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:56 pm 

Dog Carcass wrote:
If there's any director I trust with casting it's Tarantino. If he's so desperate for Smith that he'll give Sony the worldwide distribution rights... then clearly Smith would be great in the role.

Aaaaaaaaaand Sony's biggest stockholders murdered QT's entire family ?!

That's my way of asking why is it such a big deal that QT gave the rights to Sony.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:10 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Honestly, I'm more interested in who gets tapped to edit this thing. The crackerjack editing has always been a great strength of QT's films and I'll be intrigued to learn who will be filling that position now that Sally Menke is dead.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:36 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

feliciano182 wrote:
t3cii wrote:

will smith is a good actor who is sometimes in shitty movies, not a shitty actor who is sometimes in good movies, i think it is good news.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:46 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

feliciano182 wrote:
t3cii wrote:

will smith is a good actor who is sometimes in shitty movies, not a shitty actor who is sometimes in good movies, i think it is good news.

Pretty much this. I think I Am Legend proved the man has acting chops and I would love to see Smith perform out of his comfort zone.

I don't really see how he could turn this role down since he would benefit greatly from it.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:47 am 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

I think I Am Legend proved the man will take any gig that is thrown at him

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 383 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next