It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hannibal TV Series
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:11 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

First look with some pictures!

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/how-wou ... um=twitter
Quote:
Having received a full thirteen episode series order based on the strength of its pilot episode directed by David Slade (30 DAYS OF NIGHT), NBC's "Hannibal" is well on its way insofar as filming goes. Now technically that thirteen episode series order is, considering the network on which the show will air, only a half-season - meaning you can look for "Hannibal" to first hit sometime in early 2013.

Meanwhile there are the pictures. They're not very much to go on, but even from these few scant glimpses alone I find myself reassured that Hugh Dancy was a very solid choice for the part of FBI Agent Will Graham - everything from his clothes to the way he holds himself reminds me of William Petersen in MANHUNTER, and I like that idea very much indeed. Mikkelsen is of course gleefully off even just in the one photo, and I can't wait to see the performance he's rocking for this particular character. More as we hear it and that premiere episode's air date draws closer.

So what do you think? Based on these pictures, are you digging what series creator Brian Fuller is cooking up?

I didn't actually know this was in the works, but it looks great, with Mads Mikkelsen in the role of Lecter.

Post subject: Re: Hannibal TV Series
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:35 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I didn't actually know this was in the works,

Neither did I.

I know several actors have now played Hannibal Lecter, but to me, no one will ever surpass Anthony Hopkins.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:43 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

t3cii wrote:

Neither did I.

I know several actors have now played Hannibal Lecter, but to me, no one will ever surpass Anthony Hopkins.

Fo' sho', when someone like Hopkins does a role like his portrayal of Dr Lector, anyone else can merely emulate him, or be forced to completely reinvent, and likely destroy the character.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:09 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

t3cii wrote:

Neither did I.

Fo' sho', when someone like Hopkins does a role like his portrayal of Dr Lector, anyone else can merely emulate him, or be forced to completely reinvent, and likely destroy the character.

The irony is, he wasn't even the first actor to play the character.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:09 am 
A brother to dragons.

I third that I had no idea this was even a thing. Although I want to immediately dismiss the idea of a Hannibal TV show, the cast here has me interested. Big fan of Larry Fishburne and Mads Mikkelsen both.

t3cii wrote:

I would qualify that with "...in Silence of the Lambs." Hopkins really phoned it in with Hannibal, and was only marginally better in Red Dragon.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:03 pm 
Tired of Earth.

I'll see it just for Mikkelsen alone. Having Fishburne on board as well is great, I'll definitely keep an ear out for this.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:17 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

So how is this going to be ? Like Silence Of The Lambs but with a new case each week ?

Not much hope for this if that's the show dynamic.

Post subject: Dexter Turned Out Okay
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:12 am 
A brother to dragons.

feliciano182 wrote:
So how is this going to be ? Like Silence Of The Lambs but with a new case each week ?

Not much hope for this if that's the show dynamic.

It almost seems like someone's idea of a joke. None of these elements really go together: Hannibal Lecter, weekly TV show, Mads Mikkelsen.

This show might be the strangest pop culture development since Eddie Izzard played Grampa Munster.

There's something weird in the air.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:00 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I watched an episode last night. Definitely feels like a unique series, and I kind of wished I had started watching it when it first started. It was this article from the AV Club that prompted me to check it out: http://www.avclub.com/article/hannibals-powerful-visuals-make-it-one-of-the-best-200586

When I say it feels unique, I mean considerably more attention has been given to how it looks, and the overall tone, compared to most network shows. It doesn't feel like an NBC show, in fact, it doesn't feel like a network show at all. It's pretty graphic, and kind of reminds me of American Horror Story, but with better acting, an actual plot, and no dutch angles. Mikkelsen has come up with his own take, and I believe his role in the series is that of someone trusted by local authorities, but also under suspicion from the main character. It doesn't feel like a retread, and I think if anyone is worried they're half-assing this thing, they needn't.

I might decide to start watching this one.

Broken Finger wrote:
This show might be the strangest pop culture development since Eddie Izzard played Grampa Munster.

Speaking of Izzard, he's actually in this.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:13 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Yeah, I think I might start watching this too. The only reason I haven't already is dumb and I should get on that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:56 pm 

Watching the first season right now. Very interesting so far. I have a feeling Mads Mikkelsen will be one of those cases of pitch perfect casting for this role.

Also, Vincenzo Natali, one of my favorite horror directors, directed a future episode of season 2 so I'm looking forward to eventually seeing that.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:13 pm 

Season 2, Episode 12. Jesus Christ. That combination of gore and psychedelic visuals are going to stay with me for quite some time. So glad this got renewed for a third season.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:28 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

It's interesting, if NBC was in better shape, would we even get this Hannibal? Not just because of the gore or content, but because of it's slow, meditative tone.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:13 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

That....was an intense finale. Unfortunately the ending was a bit lost on me since I haven't seen any of season 1. I've got to stop jumping into the middle of series.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:39 pm 

t3cii wrote:
That....was an intense finale. Unfortunately the ending was a bit lost on me since I haven't seen any of season 1. I've got to stop jumping into the middle of series.

So as far as I can tell, I missed the season finale because there was a baseball game on or something.

It's like they want me to pirate this stuff.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:52 am 

Just saw it. Jesus Christ. How much would it have sucked if Hannibal wasn't renewed for a third season? I assume that *spoilers*the third season will have to do with Hannibal being on the run from the law now that his identity as a killer will be inevitably revealed. Also, I never truly believed that Abigail Hobbes was dead, so her revival didn't surprise me. However, Hannibal trying to actually kill her this time did. It's a good series of cliffhangers. Obviously, we know Will Graham will survive, but everyone else is kind of up in the air. Personally, I just hope that Alana Bloom dies. She's not a very interesting character and she just sort of takes up space. I've been rooting for her to die the entire season, really. And I've gotta say, as over the top as this show is, it'll feel like a bit of an unrealisitic cop out if all four characters survive this ordeal. Suspension of disbelief only goes so far, really.*spoilers* But anyway, I thought the season finale was great just like the rest of the show.

Also, here's an interview with series creator Bryan Fuller regarding the details of the season finale as well as some really interesting looks into what's to come for season 3. http://www.tvguide.com/News/Hannibal-Se ... 82245.aspx

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:22 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

SPOILERS

I would assume Jack Crawford makes it out alive, if only because he is such a prominent character in the books. Also, surprised to see it confirmed that Chilton did survive the shooting, even though Chilton too is an important character, I thought maybe this is where the stories would diverge. Either way, Hannibal fucked everyone up. I do wonder how long they can have Hannibal on the run, though. Because if he's caught, isn't the story over? I haven't read the books, and I've only seen parts of Red Dragon, but once Hannibal is caught, doesn't that lead into Red Dragon, and The Silence of the Lambs? Isn't it in Silence of the Lambs that he eventually breaks out? From what I've read, they haven't been able to secure the rights to use Clarice and Buffalo Bill. Also, if Chilton is alive, I wonder if they'll have Hannibal under his care, considering Hannibal framed him and almost killed? There's no explanation for Chilton's smugness and antagonism towards Hannibal in Lambs, but being framed for murder and shot in the face would explain it.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:45 pm 

t3cii wrote:
SPOILERS

I would assume Jack Crawford makes it out alive, if only because he is such a prominent character in the books. Also, surprised to see it confirmed that Chilton did survive the shooting, even though Chilton too is an important character, I thought maybe this is where the stories would diverge. Either way, Hannibal fucked everyone up. I do wonder how long they can have Hannibal on the run, though. Because if he's caught, isn't the story over? I haven't read the books, and I've only seen parts of Red Dragon, but once Hannibal is caught, doesn't that lead into Red Dragon, and The Silence of the Lambs? Isn't it in Silence of the Lambs that he eventually breaks out? From what I've read, they haven't been able to secure the rights to use Clarice and Buffalo Bill. Also, if Chilton is alive, I wonder if they'll have Hannibal under his care, considering Hannibal framed him and almost killed? There's no explanation for Chilton's smugness and antagonism towards Hannibal in Lambs, but being framed for murder and shot in the face would explain it.

Well, Fuller has said that the first three seasons would lead up to Hannibal's eventual capture, so assuming he's sticking with that structure, Hannibal will be put behind bars at the conclusion of the next season. I had the same thought process as you and Fuller's actually stated he has every intention to re-make the events of Red Dragon with Will seeking Hannibal's profiling assistance and what not in tracking Francis Dolarhyde. Which is pretty ballsy. I didn't think they would actually remake anything, but I guess Silence of the Lambs is really the holy ground you don't want to tread on necessarily. So as far as plot goes, I'd say the show's good for at least two more seasons if it lives that long.