WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gotham Tv Series
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:16 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Fox Nabs Gotham City Origin Drama About Commissioner Gordon From Bruno Heller & Warner Bros. TV With Series Commitment
Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: In one of the biggest drama deals this season, after a bidding war, Fox has landed Gotham, from Warner Bros. TV and The Mentalist creator Bruno Heller, with a series commitment. For Gotham, Warner Bros TV is mining one of DC Comics‘ most popular character universes, Batman. It explores the origin stories of Commissioner James Gordon and the villains who made Gotham City famous. In Gotham, Gordon is still a detective with the Gotham City Police Department and has yet to meet Batman, who will not be part of the series. The Gordon character was introduced in 1939 in the very first Batman comic. Created by Bill Finger and Bob Kane, Commissioner Gordon has appeared in comic books as well as Batman films and series, including in Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy, where he was played by Gary Oldman. Along with the Superman franchise, the Batman universe is probably the most prized DC property.

While Superman spawned the long-running series Smallville, this is the first series featuring a character from the world of Batman in a very long time as WBTV had been exploring a Gotham City-set show for more than a year. It is the second high-profile WBTV/DC drama in the works for next season, along with Flash at the CW. In addition to Gotham, WME-repped Heller has the Mars drama Red at the CW. Gotham joins CBS’ sci-fi drama Extant as the two hottest drama projects this season, both sparking bidding wars and landing a series commitment and series order, respectively.

Post subject: Re: Gotham Tv Series
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:08 pm 
Tired of Earth.

A geek-friendly project on Fox? Yeah, this'll go well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:35 pm 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:

This is puzzling to me.
How does a WB licenced property end up on Fox's channel?
WB and FOX are kinda like... the Jedi and the Sith (i'll let you figure who's who)
this is most confusing to me. Legal-wise.
But I hope it does well.
That's all anyone can do with these sorts of announcements

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:35 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

hey it could of been on cw lol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:37 pm 
Drinking a toast to absent friends.

CW is owned by WB who also own DC, you dingus. Fox is a completely different production studio.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:24 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Networks usually get material from different production companies, they don't always exclusively show material produced "in house."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:38 pm 
Drinking a toast to absent friends.

It's just funny cause Fox makes Marvel movies and now DC shows.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:08 am 
Tired of Earth.

It's actually not all that unusual. Fox has broadcast quite a few shows made by WB studios in the past.

Prominent examples include... um, The O.C. Also... well, Fringe. Another one was The Sarah Connor Chronicles... okay, that one was just a casualty of the Writer's Strike, right?

Human Target! That was a Fox show based on a DC property, filmed by Warner Bros., and it lasted... uh, two seasons.

The Following is another one, is that any good?

Oh, who the fuck am I kidding? This whole thing is a disaster waiting to happen.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:13 am 
Tired of Earth.

don't forget

fox once owned film rights to watchmen, they technically still do, i believe. what was the end result of that lawsuit?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:36 am 
Tired of Earth.

WJK wrote:
don't forget

fox once owned film rights to watchmen, they technically still do, i believe. what was the end result of that lawsuit?

Something to do with WB giving Fox a big pile of money.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:46 am 
...you're locked in here with me!

Curiosity Inc. wrote:

Maybe there's a first time for everything :o ?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:45 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

still hate fox for cancelling awake

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:29 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Ben McKenzie(Southland) Cast As Jim Gordon
Quote:
Fox‘s Batman-themed drama Gotham has cast its lead, Detective James Gordon. Southland alum Ben McKenzie has been tapped for the role in the project, which has a series commitment. Based on DC characters from the Batman universe, Gotham explores the origin stories of Commissioner James Gordon (McKenzie) and the gordonvillains that made Gotham City famous. It includes younger versions of Bruce Wayne and Alfred as well villains the Riddler, Catwoman, the Joker and the Penguin. In Gotham, Gordon is an idealistic rookie detective for Gotham City Open Police Department’s Homicide Squad, a former college football star and a war hero. Gotham is written/exec produced by The Mentalist creator Bruno Heller, with Danny Cannon directing/exec producing for Warner Bros. TV.

The Gotham casting sets another highlight in McKenzie’s relationship with Warner Bros. TV where he has spent his entire TV career to date. It stems from a talent deal he signed with the studio in October. McKenzie was a fresh-faced 24-year-old with virtually no credits when WBTV cast him a decade ago as the lead of its Fox teen drama The O.C. He went on to topline the studio’s cop drama Southland and starred in WBTV’s CBS drama pilot The Advocates last season. McKenzie is with CAA, Management 360 and PJ Shapiro.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/ben-mck ... m-tv-show/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:17 am 
Tired of Earth.

ain't that kind of ironic, mckenzie voiced batman in year one, didn't he?

also i don't like his face and wouldn't pick him for gordon.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:35 am 

WJK wrote:
ain't that kind of ironic, mckenzie voiced batman in year one, didn't he?

also i don't like his face and wouldn't pick him for gordon.

He's a good actor though, anyone that has seen The O.C. can attest to that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:50 pm 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

feliciano182 wrote:
He's a good actor though, anyone that has seen The O.C. can attest to that.

Well, I would rather use Southland as an example of his talent...

Project862006 wrote:
Ben McKenzie(Southland) Cast As Jim Gordon
Quote:
Fox‘s Batman-themed drama Gotham has cast its lead, Detective James Gordon. Southland alum Ben McKenzie has been tapped for the role in the project, which has a series commitment. Based on DC characters from the Batman universe, Gotham explores the origin stories of Commissioner James Gordon (McKenzie) and the gordonvillains that made Gotham City famous. It includes younger versions of Bruce Wayne and Alfred as well villains the Riddler, Catwoman, the Joker and the Penguin. In Gotham, Gordon is an idealistic rookie detective for Gotham City Open Police Department’s Homicide Squad, a former college football star and a war hero. Gotham is written/exec produced by The Mentalist creator Bruno Heller, with Danny Cannon directing/exec producing for Warner Bros. TV.

Alfred I understand. The Penguin too. But Joker,Catwoman and Wayne appearing when Gordon is in early 30´s? wtf kind of timeline will we see?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:45 pm 

RuiBK wrote:
Alfred I understand. The Penguin too. But Joker,Catwoman and Wayne appearing when Gordon is in early 30´s? wtf kind of timeline will we see?

Should we assume this is also going to be a retro piece set most likely in the 80's ?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:56 pm 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

"War hero".

Considering Gordon´s american, it´s either Vietnam,Iraq(with Bush daddy),Afghanistan or Iraq(Bush junior). So, either 60/70s or 90´s onwards.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:51 pm 
Tired of Earth.

RuiBK wrote:

Alfred is a given if we're going to talk about Bruce Wayne just after the shooting. As for the villains mentioned, I'd assume we're talking more about origin territory. Like setting up Selena Kyle so that she and Bruce start their love/hate conflict much earlier. I could also understand setting up Oswald Cobblepot so that he's a respected businessman with criminal activities on the side. And of course, we could see Jack Napier committing crimes before he turns into the Joker.

If they play it right, taking so much time for setup could add a new dimension to these characters and make their supervillain switch that much more effective. But that's of course a huge if.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:54 pm 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

My problem is that I see a 20/30 year gap betwenn Wayne/Kyle and to a certain degree Napier vs Alfred and Gordon. If we are looking at a young Gordon, guys like Wayne would be teenagers.