WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Boys
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:00 pm 
Nothing ever ends.

Sigh.

This thread is far from what I was expecting.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:29 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

xMaliciousMal wrote:
Sigh.

This thread is far from what I was expecting.

Classic Mal.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:14 pm 

AYBGerrardo wrote:
Seriously?
I don't think I've ever been as disappointed by a comics series as much as Kick-Ass 2 continues to.
At first I put the lack of narrative down to its cut-up format in CLiNT, offering little to sink your teeth to.
But for me it's become thoroughly apparent that Millar simply doesn't have anything decent by way of ideas for this follow-up run - a sequel for the sake of a sequel.
I think partly that's due to his attempt to sustain a dual continuity, the outstanding end to the original comics run and the not-so-great end to the film.
But mainly it's just a cash-in.
Millar is fantastic when he's got a fresh concept. He'll run riot and take you places. Here, he's uncomfortable and it shows. Weaker than American lager.

There is an idea that Millar has, it's about taking "superheroism" to the next level, which is team-ups.

I can agree that it's not perfectly executed, but I think a lot of what hurts KA2 is the chaotic release schedule.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:16 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:

I can agree that it's not perfectly executed, but I think a lot of what hurts KA2 is the chaotic release schedule.

Yeah, I think once it's collected as one continuous story... it'll be good, not great, but good.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:21 pm 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:

Yeah, I think once it's collected as one continuous story... it'll be good, not great, but good.

I can give Millar a chance, he's barely released what ? Two issues ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:07 am 

Anybody else read Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker #2 yet? It's pretty damn good

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:14 am 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Anybody else read Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker #2 yet? It's pretty damn good

It was pretty good, the war scenes were really great, this issue in particular told us a little too much of what we already know about Butcher, but it was well told, with really great scenes showing us what kind of person he is, and best of all is that nobody draws Butcher quite like Darick Robertson does, it's simply amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:14 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:

It was pretty good, the war scenes were really great, this issue in particular told us a little too much of what we already know about Butcher, but it was well told, with really great scenes showing us what kind of person he is, and best of all is that nobody draws Butcher quite like Darick Robertson does, it's simply amazing.

I think this was kind of needed, kind of showing that where characters like Punisher and Rorschach descend into their state of psychopathic behavior, Butcher has always been a psycho. Also, judging from the introduction of Becky and that being mid way through the mini... I think we're going to finally find out for 100% certain if The Homelander was the one who raped/killed (as a result of) her

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:51 pm 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
I think this was kind of needed, kind of showing that where characters like Punisher and Rorschach descend into their state of psychopathic behavior, Butcher has always been a psycho. Also, judging from the introduction of Becky and that being mid way through the mini... I think we're going to finally find out for 100% certain if The Homelander was the one who raped/killed (as a result of) her

I'm going to make a wild bet here.

I predict that The Homelander will rape Becky, that the subsequent child will tear out of her womb, attack Butcher, forcing the latter to kill him with a lamp.

You say we know that already ?

RANT ON

Well yeah, that's probably becauseI've gotten accostumed to Ennis writing a book that only he (and Smutty) can enjoy.

I like this book, but in the last twenty-something issues I find that it takes it's plenty of it's time in talking to us about war, superheroes, comics, evil corporations, psychopaths, crazy soldiers, black ops, politics, etc. It's a book about everything, and at the same time, it's a book about absolutely nothing at all.

RANT OFF

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:19 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:

RANT ON

Well yeah, that's probably becauseI've gotten accostumed to Ennis writing a book that only he (and Smutty) can enjoy.

I like this book, but in the last twenty-something issues I find that it takes it's plenty of it's time in talking to us about war, superheroes, comics, evil corporations, psychopaths, crazy soldiers, black ops, politics, etc. It's a book about everything, and at the same time, it's a book about absolutely nothing at all.

RANT OFF

I agree with everything except the 20 issues part, I don't think it goes back THAT far. I just think Ennis was planing on ending it at issue 72 (he said somewhere it could go 72 issues) and along the way stopped keeping track, and now he's got a bunch of stuff left to say... but only a handful of issues to say it in.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:37 pm 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
I agree with everything except the 20 issues part, I don't think it goes back THAT far. I just think Ennis was planing on ending it at issue 72 (he said somewhere it could go 72 issues) and along the way stopped keeping track, and now he's got a bunch of stuff left to say... but only a handful of issues to say it in.

RANT ON

It's possible, maybe he just looked at the schedule and said "Oh shit", but then again, his interviews are just mind-boggling, he talks about this series as if it deffinitively was his best work, his Opera Prima, to which the muscles of my face can only turn in shock and confusion.

Seriously Ennis, NOT Preacher ? NOT Punisher (MAX) ? But this ?

RANT OFF

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:56 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:

RANT ON

It's possible, maybe he just looked at the schedule and said "Oh shit", but then again, his interviews are just mind-boggling, he talks about this series as if it deffinitively was his best work, his Opera Prima, to which the muscles of my face can only turn in shock and confusion.

Seriously Ennis, NOT Preacher ? NOT Punisher (MAX) ? But this ?

RANT OFF

Who knows, maybe his genius has consumed itself and left him as a blithering idiot.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:21 am 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Who knows, maybe his genius has consumed itself and left him as a blithering idiot.

Worst of all is that he has completely dropped every other project he's in for The Boys, I'm still waiting (as in Mark Millar waiting) for the fourth issue of Jennifer Blood, which was a pretty fun series which he blatantly dropped into hiatus.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:17 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:

Worst of all is that he has completely dropped every other project he's in for The Boys, I'm still waiting (as in Mark Millar waiting) for the fourth issue of Jennifer Blood, which was a pretty fun series which he blatantly dropped into hiatus.

On a related note, Marvel's website says that KA2 #3 drops next week

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:48 pm 

So, Butcher Baker Candlestick Maker is consistently good

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:32 pm 

PLEASE TELL ME SOMEBODY ELSE READ ISSUE #75?!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:23 pm 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:

65 you mean ?

I'll catch up today, will comment later.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:22 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:

65 you mean ?

I'll catch up today, will comment later.

Yes... I meant 65...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:05 pm 

Issue # 65

Well that was fucking great :o !

Kinda irked we had to wait more than twenty issues for that payoff.

Still, apart from the shitty art at times (Dynamite's fault as always) it was an amazing issue, and never in a million years would I have seen that coming.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:52 am 

feliciano182 wrote:
Issue # 65

Well that was fucking great :o !

Kinda irked we had to wait more than twenty issues for that payoff.

Still, apart from the shitty art at times (Dynamite's fault as always) it was an amazing issue, and never in a million years would I have seen that coming.

It was everything that I thought would make a great The Boys issue, best of the series

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next