WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:17 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

I'm actually re-reading Watchmen now. Watching that footage does wonders :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:35 pm 
So impotent.

Cheers for this thread everyone. Lots of interesting suggestions :)

I'm reading From Hell first. V for Vendetta and We3 will follow. Their shiny covers keep staring at me.
Don't know what next though, I may just pick something random from this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:51 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

nirajp wrote:
Cheers for this thread everyone. Lots of interesting suggestions :)

I'm reading From Hell first. V for Vendetta and We3 will follow. Their shiny covers keep staring at me.
Don't know what next though, I may just pick something random from this thread.

i'm reading V for vendetta now, and it's really good, i've seen the movie and like it, and it's interesting to spot the differences and similarities.

last GN i read was Neverwhere. and it was really good. Don't even remember the tv show, i was only about 10 when it came out and i assume it was aired past the watershed. but heartily recommend it, and it's not particularly long either.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:39 am 
Nothing ever ends.

Location: She is all States, and all Princes, I, nothing else is.
last GN i read was Neverwhere. and it was really good. Don't even remember the tv show, i was only about 10 when it came out and i assume it was aired past the watershed. but heartily recommend it, and it's not particularly long either.

Wait, as in Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere? There was a graphic novel version of it? This is news to me! Neverwhere is one of my favorite Gaiman creations...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:49 pm 

JiangWei23 wrote:

Wait, as in Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere? There was a graphic novel version of it? This is news to me! Neverwhere is one of my favorite Gaiman creations...

yup, it's not penned by neil but adapted from the novel, it's written and drawn by Mike Carey and Glenn Fabry respectively
http://www.amazon.com/Neil-Gaimans-Neve ... 956&sr=1-2
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neil-Gaimans-Ne ... 009&sr=8-4
http://blogcritics.org/archives/2008/01/30/124539.php

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:06 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Just finished the first novel of Preacher and I can't wait to see what comes next. I absolutely recommend it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:58 pm 
So impotent.

I've just finished Y: the last man and I'm definitely passing on the recommendation too those who might be skeptic about it, it's definitely a good read.
Now, I've skimmed through this thread and I'm seeing a lot of recommendations for Sandman and obviously so, but I'm curious what you guys would recommend for someone who has already read Sandman and would like to read something that's in the same style? Would be much appreciated and sorry if this has been answered already.

Also has anyone read/heard anything about Hell Blazer or 100 Bullets my friend recommended it to me but I've heard split reviews.

And finally here's some comics I'd recommend:
Sandman
The Watchmen (obviously)
Preacher
Y: the last man
Transmetropolitan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:23 pm 
Vigilante

Jameslame wrote:
I've just finished Y: the last man and I'm definitely passing on the recommendation too those who might be skeptic about it, it's definitely a good read.
Now, I've skimmed through this thread and I'm seeing a lot of recommendations for Sandman and obviously so, but I'm curious what you guys would recommend for someone who has already read Sandman and would like to read something that's in the same style? Would be much appreciated and sorry if this has been answered already.

Also has anyone read/heard anything about Hell Blazer or 100 Bullets my friend recommended it to me but I've heard split reviews.

Sandman
The Watchmen (obviously)
Preacher
Transmetropolitan

If you liked Sandman, then you'd probably like Fables. You might also like Mike Carey's Lucifer (a sort of Sandman spinoff featuring the ol' Lightbringer himself)

Hellblazer is definitely worth reading but it's not for the faint hearted. I think 100 Bullets starts with a great premise but kind of loses it's way a bit in the later volumes. I'm reserving judgement until I've re-read them all though - it reminds me a bit of some of Howard Chaykin's stuff and I know it used to take me a couple of reads to work out what was going on in his books!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:26 pm 
Nothing ever ends.

I'm working my way through Sandman, and I'm loving it. V for Vendetta and LXG didn't do much for me, but Sandman is awesome.

Note to self: do not read this comic the night before an eye doctor appointment. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:50 pm 
Gazing into the abyss.

Jameslame wrote:

Sandman
The Watchmen (obviously)
Preacher
Transmetropolitan

I haven't finished 100 bullets yet, but for what I read, it's pretty good.
Although I wouldn't recommend Transmepolitan at all. The thing is a clusterfuck (for me, at least).

English not very good. Forgive me.

http://www.ghondar.blogspot.com
Because people on the internet think that I'm somewhat funny.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:15 am 

hey, i have been looking to read some DC stuff, preferably self contained stories, since that's what i prefer, and i'd spend a fortune on TPBs of ongoing stories or series consisting of 10 or more volumes, so i was looking at some AU stuff starting with DKR, so i wiki'd it, and found out about Superman Red Son which sounded really interesting too, so i had a look at them both on amazon, both are quite cheap, then i stumbled upon Superman: True Brit, penned by John Cleese of all people, and being british it instantly grabbed my attention. so basically i'm asking what i should read out of these 3.

DKR
S:RS
S:TB

???

EDIT, i just ordered all 3 plus "Tales of the Multiverse: Batman-Vampire" for not too much cash so those should keep me going, still wondering on everyones opinions of these 4 GNs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:31 am 
Gazing into the abyss.

hey, i have been looking to read some DC stuff, preferably self contained stories, since that's what i prefer, and i'd spend a fortune on TPBs of ongoing stories or series consisting of 10 or more volumes, so i was looking at some AU stuff starting with DKR, so i wiki'd it, and found out about Superman Red Son which sounded really interesting too, so i had a look at them both on amazon, both are quite cheap, then i stumbled upon Superman: True Brit, penned by John Cleese of all people, and being british it instantly grabbed my attention. so basically i'm asking what i should read out of these 3.

DKR

???

DKR and S:RS are really good. Dunno about the last one. So, I would say that you should read S:RS first.

English not very good. Forgive me.

http://www.ghondar.blogspot.com
Because people on the internet think that I'm somewhat funny.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:50 am 

Ghondar wrote:

DKR

???

DKR and S:RS are really good. Dunno about the last one. So, I would say that you should read S:RS first.

thanks, from what i gather True Brit is like Red Son, only he lands in rural britian instead of kansas/ukraine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:25 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

I just ordered Superman for all seasons because I wanted superman and it was on DC essential novels...

anyone read it? any comments?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:40 am 

did anyone read Marvel 1985 when it came out originally? i just pre-ordered the TPB on a whim.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:59 am 

thanks, from what i gather True Brit is like Red Son, only he lands in rural britian instead of kansas/ukraine

i just finished true brit, and it was not what i was expecting... or maybe it was.
it's not that great. but it is very fun, it doesn't take itself seriously for a second... (the character of batman is literally a man with a cricket bat lodged in his chest, after the clumsy colin clark slips whilst playing a game) i'd say it is for lovers of the beano and dandy in the UK, it has the same sort of humour.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:17 am 
Minuteman

Location: Stuck inside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
Hadn't seen it mentioned here previously but as far as superhero GN's go, I always recommend Daredevil: Born Again by Frank Miller & David Mazzucchelli. I'm not sure if it's even still in print (my copy's at least 20 years old), but it's definitely worth a read if you can find it. I think it's up there with other Frank Miller books like Batman: Year One & The Dark Knight Returns, but doesn't get mentioned as much. Mazzucchelli's art is great... absolutely amazing at times even. The story itself is heartbreaking as well as heart-lifting. Can't say enough good things about it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:57 pm 
Crimebuster

Top Ten, Alan Moore's series for America's Best Comics with Gene Ha, is very good. Like WATCHMEN, it's a superhero murder mystery. Unlike WATCHMEN, it takes place in an alternate 1999 in a city, Neopolis, where *everyone* has superpowers, a superhero name, and a civilian identity. The story covers the police department and how they handle superhuman crime.

The whole series is actually a double murder mystery. The murders are unrelated, but they collide at police headquarters in an interesting way. Single issues have subplots and single stories. I recommend Top Ten to anyone who thinks Alan Moore hates superheroes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:37 am 
So impotent.

I read preacher before watchmen, its amazingly good.

Dark Knight Returns is also really great.

Bone is another one I would recommend.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:58 pm 
Crimebuster

It's probably not considered a GN being so short 128pgs, but I read 'Joker' by Brain Azzarello. It was pretty good IMO.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next