WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: The Best Batman Story
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:12 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

Alright, DDC or Curi will probably put this with favorite Graphic Novels thread, but I want to know what is your favorite Batman story?

Mine personal top four are

5) The Killing Joke
4) The Long Halloween
3) Dark Victory
2) BM: YO
1) DKR

Last edited by Dr. Brooklyn on Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:21 pm 
Close to locating a gluino.

hey doc... do you talk about anything but batman? :P

...and have you read any but these 4? :P:P:P

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:13 pm 

iancontinence wrote:
hey doc... do you talk about anything but batman? :P

...and have you read any but these 4? :P:P:P

um... I am Batman! :D

I've read several others and am trying to get my hands on every last batman I can. I mainly read the books, and I am getting more and more graphic novels, and I am trying to get suggestions of just Batman stories, it's easier that sifting threw massive greatest graphic novels threads to find the few batman stories

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:57 pm 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

For me, it's a tie between Killing Joke and Long Halloween. I like all the Sale/Lobe GN's which includes Long Halloween's sequel. Not a big fan of DKR's animation...

-John Cale

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:54 pm 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

While we are on the topic, is Dark Victory any good?
Better than Long Halloween?
I'm thinkin' about buying it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:09 am 
Minuteman

For me I always thought Hush was a great book (even know I always hated that it came in two volumes) and I think it deserves some credit.

For the fear of this thread becoming repetitive I'll stay away from previously mentioned stories.

" I do.... If I have to."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:05 am 
Close to locating a gluino.

TheAmazingNicole-san wrote:
For me I always thought Hush was a great book (even know I always hated that it came in two volumes) and I think it deserves some credit.

you hit the nail on the head there... why should collections like new frontier and hush come in 2 volumes... it makes no sense. the 2 volumes of each are no longer than watchmen or long halloween... but it does make more money this way. it really puts me off buying them... sometimes :P

here's a new batman book... well, a collection of stories. darwyn cooke's batman: ego. cooke's art and writing is very traditional - but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. the hardback i bought was quite expensive, but worth it... especially for "deja vu".

it is basically a collection of all of cooke's batman work, so if you like new frontier and batman, you can't really go wrong.

there is some cooke/sale work also included.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:24 am 
Vigilante

Smutty wrote:
While we are on the topic, is Dark Victory any good?
Better than Long Halloween?
I'm thinkin' about buying it.

Yes, if you liked The Long Halloween, definetly check out Dark Victory.

I personally like
Batman: Year One
The Killing Joke
DKR

I view them in that order, as part of a trilogy covering the esstenial works of The Batman, skipping over alot of fodder, heh. A true fan would know all the ins and outs and minor cast, however The Long Halloween and Dark Victory were incredible. Personally, I like the Marvel Universe 10x more than the DCU. DC has superior graphic novels, including the granddaddy of them all,

you guessed it...

Frank Stallone.

Sorry, I meant Watchmen... :) Having the greatest thing in comics and have it not tied in directly to the DCU, priceless. Although, from what I understand, one of the 52 multi-earths is actually the "earth" of Watchmen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:16 pm 
Tired of Earth.

I'm intrigued by Knightfall, myself. Apparently, that's the story in which Bane is portrayed as Batman's physical and mental superior, rather than some simpleton, overmuscled thug as he's portrayed in other media.

Has anyone here actually read Knightfall? Care to comment?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:15 pm 

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
I'm intrigued by Knightfall, myself. Apparently, that's the story in which Bane is portrayed as Batman's physical and mental superior, rather than some simpleton, overmuscled thug as he's portrayed in other media.

I started, but then I got distracted by Dark Victory

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:41 am 
So impotent.

For me it has to be The Killing Joke

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:37 pm 

mattkan wrote:
For me it has to be The Killing Joke

Yeah, TKJ is an amazing story. I just don't think it's the best, imo.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:35 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Anyone read Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On A Serious Earth by Grant Morrison? I bought the GN as I was intrigued by the concept and the artwork, but I regretted my decision by the time I finished the book, as I can't help but feel that everyone seems a bit out-of-character.

Especially when the Joker slapped Batman's bum playfully. :|

Anyone else who has read it? Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:32 pm 
I DID IT!

Curiosity Inc. wrote:

The entire Knightfall epic is absolutely brilliant, in my opinion. Bane was never the dim witted thug he was portrayed as outside of DC comics, and that's never more evident than in this arc. The drug he was addicted to, Venom, that gave him his increased strength was introduced in a Legends of the Dark Knight tale (of the same name). In his early career, Batman experimented with an early version of Venom to try to improve his game. He had to go cold turkey though, after it proved highly addictive.

**HERE BE SPOILERS**
In Knightfall, Bane orchestrates a mass breakout from Arkham. All of Batman's enemies are unleashed on an unsuspecting city. As planned, Batman is forced to work non-stop to try to prevent Gotham falling into absolute chaos. Even with the help of his team mates, the burden proves too much. Bane has anticipated this, and having deduced Batman's identity - lies in wait at Wayne Manor for the perfect moment to strike.

And boy does he strike!

The result of this hellish fight causes Bruce to pass on the mantle of Batman to Jean Paul Valley (Azrael) while Bruce travels the world in an attempt to recuperate both body and mind.

In his absence AzBat does a good job, to begin with. Then his previous programming by the Order of St. Dumas begins to reassert itself and hell comes to Gotham.

(For background on Jean Paul Valley/Azrael, see the excellent "Batman:Sword of Azrael")

Knightfall is collected in three oversized trade paperbacks, but sadly they exclude the year-long "The Crusade" chapters. These chronicle AzBats shenanigans as he spirals deeper into madness. "The Crusade" fits neatly between Vol.2 and Vol.3.

I guess, for the completist, you could pick up Batman: Venom, Batman: Sword of Azrael, Vengeance of Bane, Knightfall Vol.1-3 and Vengeance of Bane II: The Redemption.

Mind you, Bane's story continued long beyond even that. At present he is the main muscle in the new Secret Six ongoing series :)

It's worth noting that the majority of fans hated AzBat. This was DC editorial's intention though. At the time, Image comics were taking off and every other hero was turning crazy violent in response. Besides being an excellent character in his own right, the AzBat incarnation proved to fans that there was more to great enduring heroic characters than lethal weapons, kill-switch mentality and a load of pouches strapped over their body ;)

Nostalgia wrote:
Anyone read Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On A Serious Earth by Grant Morrison? I bought the GN as I was intrigued by the concept and the artwork, but I regretted my decision by the time I finished the book, as I can't help but feel that everyone seems a bit out-of-character.

Especially when the Joker slapped Batman's bum playfully. :|

Anyone else who has read it? Any thoughts?

Hmmm... I don't see anyone as being out of character in that GN. Joker plays Batman beautifully, from the very outset. He knows exactly how to push Batman's buttons and he does it with relish. Why wouldn't Joker mess with Bats in that way? He's got Arkham under his control and Batman is there under Joker's terms. Obviously the green haired nutter cannot resist getting under the Bats skin :)

As with pretty much all of Morrison's work, the story is metatextual. It's more than just what you read on the surface, with many layers in art and writing that are there for the finding. A great comic book study in madness in it's various forms. Symbolism and iconography are loaded into the story, and while not essential to the understanding they do make for some intriguing easter eggs.

I personally love this GN, and this fan made trailer is simply gorgeous :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:37 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

I'm going to say Arkham Ayslum because it was amazing. TDKR is runner up. That fan made trailer is mind-blowing. If it was real, Guillmero Del Toro would direct it. Ron Perlman as Batman, Doug Jones as The Joker. EPIC.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:20 pm 
I DID IT!

ViolentNewCountry wrote:
I'm going to say Arkham Ayslum because it was amazing. TDKR is runner up. That fan made trailer is mind-blowing. If it was real, Guillmero Del Toro would direct it. Ron Perlman as Batman, Doug Jones as The Joker. EPIC.

I'd love to see Del Toro direct a Batman film :D
For The Joker though, I'd go with Andrew Koenig (son of Walter Koenig - Chekov in Star Trek the Original Series). If you haven't seen him play The Joker then check out Batman: Dead End.

He is, in my mind, the definitive comic book Joker come to life :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:45 pm 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

Anybody ever read "Batman: The Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul?" I was thinking about buying it because the cover looked sweet, although the book was sealed in a plastic case. Is it good?

-John Cale

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:10 pm 

ViolentNewCountry wrote:

I actually didn't really enjoy Arkham Asylum. I know that may be shocking, I just wasn't won over at all

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:58 am 
I DID IT!

strongerlovingworld wrote:
Anybody ever read "Batman: The Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul?" I was thinking about buying it because the cover looked sweet, although the book was sealed in a plastic case. Is it good?

Yeah, me again :) I get the monthly series so have read all the arcs that are being released as collections. As usual with multi-part crossover stories, the art differences between chapters can be quite jarring in places for some people. As it is, I ddin't have too much of a problem - being used to the art on all the series involved (Batman, Detective, Nightwing & Robin).

The story isn't really up there with the best of them, but is a good one nonetheless, and helps re-establish Ra's in the Batman/DC universe. One thing it does very well is develop Batman's extended family and his relationship with each of them. If you haven't already read "Batman & Son" then I'd suggest you do so first, otherwise you may have the "who the hell is Damian?!" response when you see him first :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:42 pm 
Crimebuster

"Hush" was my first Batman story. I don't think it's my favorite (that might go to TDK or Long Halloween) but it'll always hold a little place in my nerdy, comic-book-fan heart...plus it made me relize how AWESOME Poison Ivy is.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next