WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:29 am 
Crimebuster

Rightly or wrongly, WATCHMEN has been called an influence on the "grim and gritty" era of superhero comics that started in the 1980s and continue to this day. Brighter character were often called out as old fashioned.

I read two interesting points on this. One was from Mark Waid's introduction to the INFINITE CRISIS novelization. Waid said writers photocopied the surface cynicism of WATCHMEN (and DARK KNIGHT RETURNS) and missed the "heroic passion" underneath. This started the idea that you'd have to have something mentally wrong with you in order to be a superhero.

Waid also said the term "grim and gritty" started on the Adam West and Burt Ward "Batman" TV show. Wow.

The other point I read from a link on http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com, but I'm not sure where. That essay speculated that perhaps the "grim and gritty" era came more from the drugs and violence in major cities, especially New York City, in the 1980s. Many artists and writers lived in New York City, and that would influence their work to reflect that violence and cynicism.