WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Hate Factory
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:13 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

I haven't read it yet, but it's on the way. It's about one of the worst prison riots ever: the New Mexico Penitentiary riot of 1980. Basically 1100 imates overthrew the 15 guards stationed there. 33 people died that they know of. It's likely higher because they burned people using welders and completely dismembered others. One of the reporters who was let in afterward said that there was a 4in thick flow of blood down one of the cell blocks. People were hung, raped, and everything else you can imagine. My grandpa was one of the security guards that they put in there when it reopened a few weeks later. My gramps was a hardass so let's just say things weren't as bad lol. Even after the riot there still was only maybe 20 other guards with him, and he said a lot of times he had to just let the prisoners do what they wanted when they were in groups of 80 or more. Anyway, its a really fascinating story that I never knew about until today. Can't wait for the book to show up.