WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum


Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:05 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
feliciano182 wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
I don't think that there are too many comic readers who actually think America is only a country of white folk... (or really people that are intelligent enough to breath) that think America is only a nation of white folk...


Maybe not among comic book readers, since apparently they seem to be more liberal, but even them are completely oblivious to what's happening down in the reservations, and many probably wouldn't care less.


I can agree that people are pretty oblivious to what many call "The Third World Nation in the heart of America"

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:32 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
I can agree that people are pretty oblivious to what many call "The Third World Nation in the heart of America"


Hence why this comic needed more publicity !

Y U NO PROMOTE YOUR COMIC JASON AARON !?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:34 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
feliciano182 wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
I can agree that people are pretty oblivious to what many call "The Third World Nation in the heart of America"


Hence why this comic needed more publicity !

Y U NO PROMOTE YOUR COMIC JASON AARON !?


Well, this could get into that thread somebody started about Art vs. Business or whatever. Because of his series like Wolverine and the X-Men (amongst others) Aaron was able to tell this story without the need of sales, making this like an art house comic where the goal was telling a truly great story as opposed to making sales.

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:14 am 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Well, this could get into that thread somebody started about Art vs. Business or whatever. Because of his series like Wolverine and the X-Men (amongst others) Aaron was able to tell this story without the need of sales, making this like an art house comic where the goal was telling a truly great story as opposed to making sales.


Not being a dick here, but I don't see how his mainstream series has anything to do with Scalped, the latter was a story he wanted to tell one way or the other.

If we get into that argument, it's precisely due to the nature of capitalism that Scalped doesn't get the attention it deserves.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:06 am 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
feliciano182 wrote:

Not being a dick here, but I don't see how his mainstream series has anything to do with Scalped, the latter was a story he wanted to tell one way or the other.


Exactly, he got to tell Scalped exactly the way he wanted to because he didn't need the money, so he never watered it down to make it more appealing.

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:37 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Exactly, he got to tell Scalped exactly the way he wanted to because he didn't need the money, so he never watered it down to make it more appealing.


Nothing of that is the direct benefit of a capitalist industry.

If anything, Scalped doesn't get the attention it deserves because it's not as profitable as Wolverine or X-Men, two other series with stories that Aaron, most likely, also wanted to tell, and which probably got a heavy editing treatment in order to make a more profitable comic.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:42 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
First things first:

*Offers Doctor B. the peace pipe*

So, in a sudden flash of memory, I remembered I had never finished this series, and so, I proceeded to........finish it, I read the final issue of "Scalped".

........................................

I didn't.........like how this series ended.

It's not that it was bad, it was a coherent, well-written, proper ending to the series, as logical as anything that could've happened within the confines of the story, and as "real" as I can possibly guess about how life on a reservation, and outside of it, could ever be.

However, I thought it was severely inconclusive, and it left me scratching my head for a quite a bit, I really wasn't asking for a happy ending, but I know that I at least wanted something.......satisfying.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:57 am 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
feliciano182 wrote:
First things first:

*Offers Doctor B. the peace pipe*

So, in a sudden flash of memory, I remembered I had never finished this series, and so, I proceeded to........finish it, I read the final issue of "Scalped".

........................................

I didn't.........like how this series ended.

It's not that it was bad, it was a coherent, well-written, proper ending to the series, as logical as anything that could've happened within the confines of the story, and as "real" as I can possibly guess about how life on a reservation, and outside of it, could ever be.

However, I thought it was severely inconclusive, and it left me scratching my head for a quite a bit, I really wasn't asking for a happy ending, but I know that I at least wanted something.......satisfying.


I agree, it was a decent ending from a utilitarian standpoint... but as an artistic ending I wanted so much more.

Also, this article popped up on iFanboy today, I would love to see a Scalped tv show, but I doubt it'll ever be made.

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:44 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
FUUUUUU@#$%&?* !!!!!!

I had just written quite the lengthy piece on what I found satisfactory about the ending............and it didn't got posted.

Fucking university connection.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:18 pm 
Offline
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:09 pm
Posts: 2117
feliciano182 wrote:
FUUUUUU@#$%&?* !!!!!!

I had just written quite the lengthy piece on what I found satisfactory about the ending............and it didn't got posted.

Fucking university connection.

I'm going to assume that you would have liked it quite a bit if it ended at the second of the last issue where all surviving characters are in a mexican stand-off in a building engorged in flames.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:41 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
SkaOreo wrote:
I'm going to assume that you would have liked it quite a bit if it ended at the second of the last issue where all surviving characters are in a mexican stand-off in a building engorged in flames.


*Suspicious Feli glare*

As I said, I don't think it's necessarily a bad ending, just.......a little dissapointing, and I wasn't even asking for a happy ending.

That said, I am going to suggest a controversial issue:

What if Aaron had told Scalped.......................WITHOUT DASHIELL BAD HORSE ?

I was thinking about this a bit the week before, what if the story had been simply about the "battle" between Catcher and Red Crow ?

Aaron could've expanded Gina, Red Crow and Catcher's background more deeply, and with a few tweeks to Catcher's character (you know, the murdering and all), you could've turned his story into a tale of redemption.

Obviously, Catcher would've been nowhere near as appealing as a main protagonist as Dashiell was, but I think that for the purposes of where the story headed, Dash was a fucking third wheel in the last stand-off, mostly because the idea that truly resonated at that moment (for me at least), what was really at stake in that stand-off was the future of Prairie Rose, it was sort of a message about how the only way to move forward was to completely obliterate the two "totems" that held it back from truly becoming the place it could be, that it deserved to be; and while I loved Dash's character, I felt he was completely out of place at that point, for the last issue to center around him was, to me, quite the gigantic Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

Your thoughts, I must know them !

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.107s | 11 Queries | GZIP : Off ]